Maybe...

Against The Rules

Obey.

Don’t ask questions.

Don’t doubt your superiors.

Always listen and be prepared.

That’s textbook guardians. One of the first things you learn as you’re growing up. Baekhyun knew it. He lived it and knew he will continue living it until he is the one being killed because no guardian dies from natural causes. It’s always someone taking revenge for a fallen family member or friend or a failed battle.

He was jealous of it. There were no close relationships when you are a guardian. If you get ordered to kill you parents, child, partner…You do it. No questions asked.

And as Baekhyun looked as his best friends currently sitting in front of him talking and laughing, he wondered, not for the first time, if one of them is going to be the one to end his own life. After all his beliefs and thoughts aren’t allowed. And when it gets found out that he’s dating one of ‘them’ he won’t survive, he knows it.  It’s just a question of who will do it.

He would honestly like it to be one of them though. At least it would be quick. Luhan could do it. Throw something at the back of his head maybe. It would be quick and basically painless. Or maybe Sehun… Choking to death doesn’t seem like that bad of a choice considering the alternatives. At least it would be quick if nothing else.

They were still talking but he couldn’t hear it. It was all just a murmur in the background. Nothing more. They looked like they were enjoying themselves though. He wished he could. But no. Not lately. He had a bad feeling lately. He felt watched. And he didn’t like it one bit.

Still deep in thought his eyes trailed off to the Fence. To the other side. And seemingly like he was looking he saw him. Maybe he was though. He got kind of depended on Chanyeol lately. He was always there when he needed him. Always there after a nightmare. The black haired boy got used to it. He got used to having someone there to talk to. To listen. So it wasn’t really that much of a shock when he noticed Chanyeol looking back at him concerned.  

Maybe Baekhyun didn’t hide his emotions as well as he thought. He could only guess how scared he looked at the moment. He didn’t want to die. No one wants to die.

Chanyeol sent him a smile before turning to focus back onto his own group with whom he was standing around. Messing around with their powers like its nothing. They couldn’t do that. They’re only allowed to use their powers in class. Not that he kept to that rule really but it would still be nice if he was allowed not to.

“What are you looking at?” Luhan’s question caught him off guard and the only reason why he even heard it was a hand that Luhan put on his shoulder when he did. Trying to lean in and follow his line of sight. Zeroing right on Chanyeol just as he threw a fire ball at one of his friends while laughing only to have it freeze in mid air and parish before the one he threw it at smacked him upside the head. Which looked kind of awkward considering Chanyeol was taller than the guy.

He told Baekhyun his name once. Xiumin was it? He couldn’t really remember but he was pretty sure that was it.  All he remembered is that he could freeze things. Including Chanyeols fire if it isn’t too strong. From the stories Baekhyun heard Xiumin sounded nice, He really didn’t get what he is doing on that side of the fence. But he guessed that with a power like that he wasn’t controlled that easily so of course the guardians would get scared and put him there. Anyone too strong and unable to be controlled was send there after all. It doesn’t seem fair but it’s how it is.

“Wow I've never seen someone with fire power.” Luhan exclaimed making everyone else look too. Which really wasn’t good because they aren’t supposed to be looking at the other side. No one is. One of the many stupid ruled Baekhyun hated.

“Which one?” Kai asked, sounding as curious as Luhan did.

“The tall one.” Came Luhan’s answer, still not looking away.

“The black haired one?” Kyungsoo asked from where he was sited on Kai’s lap. Like he was most of the time lately. They were still in their honeymoon faze and it didn’t seem like they will get out of it any time soon.

“No. the red haired one.” Sehun cut in. “Can’t you see his hand? There are flames going up his arm.”

It was true. His hand was open with light flames his skin and moving up his forearm. It wasn’t the first time Baekhyun has seen it either. Every time he was happy he seemed to just naturally bring out fire. He didn’t even notice until you point it out because he doesn’t feel the flames like other people do. They don’t harm him in any way. Baekhyun found it cute really. But not as much as he loved the fact of how much it happens when he’s with him. If you count all the times Baekhyun saw Chanyeol setting himself on fire he seemed to be really happy around him.

“Oh. Wow.” Kai exclaimed and Baekhyun suddenly felt uncomfortable. That was his boyfriend they were looking at. He somehow felt like they will know if they look for too long. Besides they really shouldn’t be looking at all.

“Guys you’re staring.” Baekhyun hissed after a few beats of silence as they all just stared at Chanyeol. He felt really really uncomfortable now.

“But look at it Baek. His hand. It’s on fire. And he isn’t even bothered with it.” Luhan said, sounding entranced.

“I don’t think he even notices.” Sehun didn’t sound any better than Luhan and Baekhyun decided to make them stop watching and soon because someone will notice it soon and that cant end soon.

“If anyone hears you talking like that you’ll get expelled.” He reminded them and then they were all looking away and turning to him instead. He really didn’t know which was worse. Them staring at Chanyeol or at him.

“Half the time I don’t even think it would be that bad.” Sehun was the first one to break the silence that followed, taking Baekhyun by surprise. Seeing everyone’s surprised gazes on him Sehun continued. “Getting expelled. I mean how bad could it be? At least I’ll be free. I would miss you guys though.” Even as he said it Baekhyun could see him glancing at Luhan for a second.

Everyone knew that they liked each other. It was only that they didn’t know that the other felt the same too. They could be idiots sometimes.

Luhan sighed, shifting so he is sitting a little more comfortably. “I honestly don’t know if I could take it so lightly. I would miss my family too much.”

“Yeah but think about it.” Kai spoke up, a little bit more hushed then the others because they were outside and anyone could hear. Then they really would have to deal with being kicked out. “Freedom. Do you really don’t think it’s worth it? To have free will…We all dreamed of it. Fantasized how it would be to be free. You can’t tell me you haven’t.” Kyungsoo took Kai’s hand in his at the words. Baekhyun could see Kai tightening their hands together for a second before letting them fall between the two of them. Still held tight.

“It is. And that’s what scares me the most. The fact that I would be willing to give up everything in a second just to be free.”

There was silence again after that. And it was then that Baekhyun got it. That he really saw his friends for what felt the first time. They weren’t as different as he thought. They all wanted to get out as much as he did. They all wanted an out but couldn’t see one.

But maybe he could. Maybe, just maybe, they did have an out.

It was a process but it could work. He just needs a little bit of help… Baekhyun’s eyes moved to the other side again. Finding Chanyeol again but this time thinking of a plan that was already forming in his mind.

Maybe they do have a chance.

Just maybe.

Maybe they could be free.

Free…The word sounded nice and Baekhyun found himself smiling slightly.

Free.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well this one was short and no Baekyeol that much either but hopefully it was good. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.