Aichmophobia

Facing Your Fears (Oneshot Collection)

Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.” 
- Marie Curie

Aichmophobia – Fear of needles

Kim Junsu | JYJ

Note: Picture does not belong to me | Source

 

Han Gina walked out of the shower, feeling refreshed. Her phone ringing caught her attention the moment she stepped foot into her room. She looked at the screen where her best friend’s mom and practically her second mother’s name flashed.

“Yoboseyo, ommonim.” she greeted pleasantly.

“Yoboseyo, Gina-ah. I’m sorry to disturb you but I had a favor to ask.”

“Of course, go ahead; you know I don’t mind.” Gina reached for the towel on her bed and began rubbing her long brown hair dry.

“Well, Junsu has an appointment with the doctor this weekend but I have some other work to attend to. You know how fussy Junsu gets when it comes to doctors. I was wondering if you could take him there instead. If anyone can control that boy, it’s you Gina.”

Gina grimaced. Junsu was her best friend, sure. But even she couldn’t deny how annoying and childish he could be at times. Taking him to the doctor’s was going to be a tough task considering his deathly fear of needles and thereby, doctors.

But Gina couldn’t bring herself to say no to Junsu’s mother. She sighed inaudibly before forcing out a cheerful “Of course.”

 

 

 

“Where are we going?” Junsu asked for the tenth time in the past five minutes. He was seated in the passenger seat of Gina’s car and she got the distinct feeling that if it weren’t for the seat belt strapping him down, he’d be bouncing all over the place.

“I told you,” Gina ground out, her patience wearing thin, “we’re going shopping.”

“I know that. But where?” Junsu clarified.

“Somewhere.” Gina muttered.

Junsu and Gina were the best of friends but complete opposites nonetheless. While Junsu was the hyper and bouncy optimist, Gina was the ever-rational and realistic person. Despite their contrasting personalities, the two got along really well and cared for each other a lot though Gina’s display of affection was much rarer than Junsu’s.

Junsu pressed his face against the car window, gazing out like an excited child. A moment or two passed before he looked back at Gina, this time a horrified expression on his face.

“Gina, I think you came the wrong way. This isn’t a mall; it’s a-” He paused to gulp dramatically. “-a hospital.”

Gina rolled her eyes at his dorky behavior. “Nope, we’re at the right place. Come on now.” She made a grab for his arm and began dragging him away.

“Hi, we have an appointment under the name Kim Junsu,” Gina smiled pleasantly at the secretary but kept her grip on Junsu’s wrist firm.

“Oh yes, the doctor can see you now.” The secretary pointed them into the room.

“No, no, no. Don’t do this Gina-ah, please!” Junsu begged.

Gina simply pushed Junsu into the patient’s chair and she took a seat in one corner of the room. Before Junsu could attempt any more escapes, the doctor entered the room.

He smiled at Junsu. “Hello, Junsu-shii, how are you today?”

Junsu smiled nervously. “F-Fine.”

“I see you’re here for a regular check-up. I’m going to need to check your vital signs so just relax.” The doctor instructed.

Junsu shot a desperate look to Gina who simply rolled her eyes and began browsing through a magazine.

The doctor first checked Junsu’s heart rate and respiratory rate then checked his blood pressure, weight and height.

“Alright, Junsu-shii, we need to take a blood sample for the blood test now.” The doctor called a nurse over and began setting up all the required equipment.

Gina unwrapped a lollipop and on it uninterestedly. She noticed Junsu trying to catch her eye and mouthing ‘Help me’ but blatantly ignored him. She was determined to make Junsu get over his irrational fear.

“Could you please refrain from moving, Junsu-shii.” The doctor pulled a new syringe from its pack and pulled its cover off so the needle glinted in the light.

Junsu gulped. “N-No, I-I…” he stammered.

The nurse rubbed an alcohol swab over his arm and Junsu turned away, squeezing his eyes shut. He could almost feel the needle touching his skin. The cool metal, the sharp prick then the unbearable pain.

“It hurts!” Junsu yelped. “Please make it stop, it hurts!” he wailed.

The doctor jumped in shock. He looked at the syringe in his hand, yet to touch the patient’s body then looked at Junsu who was withering in agony.

“J-Junsu-shii, the needle hasn’t even touched you yet.” The doctor tried to calm him down but Junsu wouldn’t have any of it.

Finally Gina had had enough. She closed the magazine and tossed it aside. With a sigh she made her way to Junsu, shooting an apologetic smile at the doctor and nurse.

“Yah, Kim Junsu,” she called causing the male to blink at her innocently. In one swift motion, Gina popped the lollipop into his mouth. “You are such a baby, you know that?” she chuckled.

Junsu looked about ready to protest but stopped as the sweet flavor of the cherry lollipop infiltrated his taste buds. Junsu was a er for sweets; the lollipop took away all of his attention from the pain of the shot.

“Is it good?” Gina spoke, making sure the other’s gaze didn’t wander to his arm. She cupped his cheek and smiled as he nodded.

“Just enjoy that lollipop, okay? I’ll treat you to lunch after this.”

Junsu stared into Gina’s beautiful eyes, mesmerized by its depth. It took about a minute for Junsu to realize Gina was no longer caressing his cheek.

Startled, he looked from his best friend to the doctor then at his arm, where a band aid had been stuck. “I-Is it done?” he spoke, shocked.

“Yup, now let’s go. Thank you, doctor.” Gina smiled politely then left the room.

Junsu scrambled after her after a quick thanks. “Gina, w-wait!”

The girl turned, a puzzled expression on her face.

Junsu rushed up to her and grabbed her hand in his. “So, where are you taking me for lunch?” he grinned cheekily.

Gina rolled her eyes and shook off his hand, walking towards the exit again.

“Gina!” Junsu chased after her again. “I have an appointment again, next month,” he called after her, grinning impishly.

Author's Note

Hello :) I know it's been like, forever since I last updated this story. But I've been really busy with university. Now I have summer vacation though, so I can hopefully be more active on AFF.

I hope there are still some readers for this fanfic... please do comment and let me know what you think of the new chapter :D