The Maknae's Inner Monologue

Always

 

‘Sehun?’ 

You have got to be kidding me, right?

I just got in.

Leave me alone, man.

‘Hm?’ Sehun turned to their manager blankly. I am in my pyjamas, man. I am eating a banana. Do I look like I want to talk to you right now?

‘You have an English lesson in two hours. Suit up.’ One of EXO’s mangers winced as they looked him up and down for a second before turning and shouting over his shoulder,’ For God’s sake kid, would it hurt you to fix your hair?’

Ex-ing-scuse me? There is nothing wrong with my hair!

Why am I even eating this?

Why the hell do I need to fix my hair if I’m only meeting with Suzie? I mean, Minseok is dating Suzie. I don’t want to tempt her with all my glory. That would just be so unfair. I mean, look at me.

Sehun leant down to look into the reflective surface of the toaster, reaching up and brushing his hand through his over-dyed hair quickly.  

Okay! Time to step back, that toaster is so unflattering man. My nose looks so swollen. Back to my hair though… Admittedly, I’ve looked better. But I’m still pretty damn hot.

Oh, well, time to get ready it is. Two hours? I'll change slowly, no need to rush.

 


Okay... I'm a little late. Suzie won't care. Much.

So knocking on the apartment door. This thing has got to be made from metal. It hurts to even look at.

I thought Suzie was teaching Minseok-Hyung today? How weird. I wonder if he’s still here.

Oh, my God.

What if they’re doing it?

I so do not need this in my life right now.

Why me?

Why couldn’t they send Luhan.

He’s practically ancient.

Why did they send the innocent maknae to pull him out of bed?

I am going to be scarred for life.

Holy , who are you?

‘You must be, Sehun! Hi!’ Holy. . She is so cute I cannot even breathe. Where are my lungs? What is air? Is she a model? Does Suzie just have attractive friends? Wait, why is Suzie’s friend here? What is going on?

‘Um… Hi?’ Nice one, Asshat.

‘I’m Nuri.’ Cute. Tell her that her name is cute. Cute, Sehun!

‘You're not, Suzie.’ Oh… You didn’t? Seriously? Now she’s laughing at you, man. I am so disappointed right now.

'You guessed! I’m Suzie’s intern, I’ll be teaching you for today. Okay?’ That’s fine by me. Say it. Say it, please.

‘Um… Sure?’ OH, COME ON. SERIOUSLY!?

 


‘So you.. Are… Suzie’s intern?’ Sehun asked shakily in English, yanking his fingers through his hair a few times. Why didn’t I wear a hat? Oh, that’s right. My lesson was supposed to be with Suzie. Not her freaking adorably perfect intern. Great. I look like . I am mortified. What if she thinks I’m weird? Wait, did she answer?

She just answered me.

In English.

Her accent is perfect.

Oh, God. I can’t believe I spent that long figuring out that question.

My accent freaking .

‘Sehun? Are you okay? You look a little pale.’ Nuri tilted her head gently to one side. Her thick dark hair swept forward over one shoulder, catching the light from the window. Sehun nodded quickly. Not okay. Definitely not okay. Butterflies in my stomach. Urge to vomit. Feel faint. Are you even human?

‘I fine.’ Wait, that was not right. Oh, God.

‘I’m fine.’ She smiled gently, and made a note in the book open on the desk in front of her.

‘I’m fine. Thank you.’ She must think I’m so stupid right now. Why did I have to at English? Why?

‘Better.’ Nuri smiled again, and nodded her head once, making another note in her book. Did she just praise me? I think I am going to die, I can feel my life slipping away.

Goodbye Mum.

Goodbye Dad.

Goodbye cruel, cruel world.

‘Sehun? You can speak in Korean now.’ Thanks so much for that. I will never forget the day I made myself look like a complete moron trying to speak English with you.

‘My English is terrible. I'm sorry.’ Well, at least you have mastered stating the obvious, Sehun. Maybe next lesson you’ll be able to hold actual conversation.

‘Sehun?’

‘Hm?’ Stop saying my name. I feel like I am going to faint.

‘Your English was wonderful. Stop worrying, okay?’ She smiled broadly at him again. He didn’t know why but his cheeks flared at her compliment, the warm burn flushing his pale skin. I do not worry. Men do not worry. I certainly do not worry about my English. Or blush. I do not blush. I am aware that I am wonderful. I don’t need anyone to tell me, no matter how cute they-

‘Sehun, can you pass me the worksheet, please?’ Sehun passed the paper over weakly. Oh, my God. Our hands just touched. I swear I saw our life together flash before my eyes. How do I even respond to that? Is she watching me? Oh, she’s marking the sheet. ! I didn’t finish the sheet. She’s going to think I am so dumb. Well done, Sehun. You have officially made an -hat of yourself in front of Suzie’s cute intern. Why don’t you just get on the table and dance like a monkey? I’m sure she’d enjoy that more than your feeble attempts at-

‘Well done, Sehun. Let’s try to finish it together next time. Don’t be afraid to ask for my help.’ Nuri slid the piece of paper back over to Sehun. ‘You can pack up for today; contact me when you want to arrange your next lesson.’ 

How?

Was that a hint?

Should I ask for her number now, or what?

Just do it, man. What's the worst that could happen?

Crushing rejection?  

‘Can I have your number? So.. I can… Contact you?’ Well done! You could’ve said that less bluntly. But at least we’re making some progress.

‘Oh! I meant… Your manager could…’ Holy . Oh, no. here it comes. All aboard the rejection train for Heartbreak Crescent. ‘But if you want to we could exchange numbers?’

...Wait?

Did she just?

She did.

SHE DID.

Play it cool.

Please, play it cool for once in your-

‘I’d like that.’ Sehun smiled softly at Nuri’s blushing cheeks.

Well done, man.

You made it eventually.

I am so proud.

So, very proud.