That's So Sweet

Always

‘So you’re telling me he isn’t back yet?’ Their Manager glared furiously at the other members, as though it was their fault Minseok was still gone.

‘It’s only been a few hours, Hyung. I’m sure he’s just having something to eat.’ Junmyeon placated the Manager gently; his calming tones were dangerously comforting as they poured from his pure, angelic smile.

‘Fine. He has an hour. Find some way to tell him, he won’t answer his phone to me.’ The boys nodded in unison as their Manager stalked off to deal with some phone calls.

‘Does anyone feel like going dragging Hyung out of Suzie’s bed before he gets himself in deeper ?’ Jongin interjected quietly, so that their manager wouldn’t hear.

‘Language. We have to do something; he’s not answering our calls either.’ Junmyeon muttered under his breath, maintaining his smile as the Manager glanced over in their direction again, shaking his head at their weird habit of talking in a huddled formation.

‘Kai’s right. We have to do something! We should go get him!’ Baekhyun jumped up and down on the spot, pulling on Chanyeol’s shoulders to get him to say something. A few muffled agreements were spoken throughout the group as Junmyeon finally condoned Baekhyun’s grand rescue mission.

‘I’ll think of an excuse for Manager Hyung. You all go get ready; I’ll see you in five minutes.’

Junmyeon was true to his word, within ten minutes the group of boys were already walking through the streets of Seoul to Suzie’s apartment, no one wanted to ask exactly how Junmyeon had convinced the Manager to let them go, but they were all sure it had something to do with money and his terrifyingly angelic face. It wasn’t easy to navigate the busy roads without attracting attention to themselves, and all the boys had worn similarly low-key outfits to blend in better with the busy city people. It took them nearly forty-five minutes to walk there, by which time it was already freezing outside and most of them were regretting not wearing thicker clothes. Yixing kept getting distracted by every adorable café they passed, he was nearly dragged away from the window of one small shop-front that was selling unicorn lollipops. The antics of the boys continued as Luhan had to reprimand Sehun after they stopped for five minutes so he could get bubble tea, and by the time they finally walked up the steps to Suzie’s apartment Junmyeon and Kyungsoo were entirely frustrated with the rest of the boys and completely over-joyed with the sight of their ex-teacher’s door.

They all waited in silence, huddled around the single doorway, their breaths causing puffs of condensation to hang in the air. Everybody waited in silence, eventually Baekhyun coughed a little awkwardly and lent forward through the crowded limbs in his way to knock one delicate hand on the door a few times. As though shocked into action the boys suddenly straightened their backs to the sound of movement inside the apartment, a few seconds passed and the sound of voices were heard inside. Kyungsoo smiled a little, so Minseok was here after all.

The door swung open and the boys gasped a little, Suzie stood before them but she didn’t look like they remembered her. It had been nearly a year since most of the members had seen Suzie, and a lot had changed since then. Her hair hung long and wavy down her back, dark tresses looking tousled like she’d just got out of bed. She’d lost a bit of weight, her once round face a perfect example of a model jawline and high cheekbones but still full and feminine. A year had transformed this girl into an enviable beauty; her eyes were wide and framed by long thick lashes like two round orbs under her full eyebrows. Everything about her was so strong, from her defined cupids bow to the slope of her highly bridged nose and angular features. She was the western beauty none of them had even noticed. Kyungsoo smiled a little and peeked out from behind Chanyeol’s ridiculously tall frame, he waved at her. Kyungsoo had noticed earlier today that Suzie was a little different but he didn’t expect this kind of response, all she did was trade to contact lenses.

‘Hi Soo.’ Suzie smiled again, two visits from Kyungsoo in one day, but what was more a whole visit from EXO on top of that? She was so screwed. ‘Hi guys, do you need something?’ She smiled at the other members, who still hadn’t managed to talk. The air was starting to creep into her apartment today and she could feel Minseok’s nervous gaze on her back from the couch in her apartment. They’d been watching some soppy drama together when they heard the knock on the door.

‘When did you get so pretty, Suzie?’ Jongdae asked suddenly, interrupting her train of thought. Sehun covered his eyes as though in pain, Junmyeon laughed awkwardly before turning to scold Jongdae, Jongin and Chanyeol just snorted at their friend’s stupidity and Kyungsoo twitched ever so slightly before apologising to Suzie on Jongdae’s behalf.

‘Can we come in, Suzie? I think you have something that belongs to us.’ Junmyeon smiled at Suzie and she sighed a little sadly, before moving aside with a gentle pout. The other members of EXO filed past her into her small apartment, Tao gaped down at her as he walked past before he nervously bowed and complimented her new hairstyle. Suzie felt a little warmer hearing Tao’s sincere compliment and leant upwards, ruffling his fringe in amusement.

‘Thank you, Tao. At least you were polite about it.’ Suzie laughed gently, casting a playful smirk over at Jongdae as Tao automatically asked if she had any cake, she directed him to her fridge where she knew there was a selection of iced cupcakes she’d picked up yesterday. Jongdae seemed sheepish about his slip up earlier, but joined Tao at the fridge to eat as the rest of the members slouched around Minseok in various places on her leather couch. Minseok himself had his head in his hands, his legs pulled up onto the couch and crossed yoga style, he was laughing at everyone’s stupidity but his eyes never stopped seeking Suzie out. He’d heard the way everyone had complimented her, and he did not like it. Not one bit.

                                                                                                                              

‘So?’ Chanyeol interjected awkwardly as Minseok left his place on the couch to join Suzie at the entrance to the living room, he wrapped one arm gently around her waist, before pressing his lips gently to her temple once. It was as sweet as it was the first time he’d done it and Suzie felt her skin burn at his touch.

‘So what?’ Minseok muttered, tightening his hold, he did not like the way everyone was staring.

‘Are you guys official?’

‘Chanyeol.’ Kyungsoo warned gently, that’s all it took for Chanyeol’s ears to blush pink and for his mouth to seal. ‘I’m sure Minseok and Suzie will inform us when they’re ready. Right?’ Kyungsoo added, suddenly wary that he’d spoken out of term.

‘Yeah. Sorry for making you guys worry. But we were a little busy.’ Minseok smiled fondly at Suzie, who blushed at his inappropriate comment. They were not doing what everyone now thought they were doing. Everyone was staring at Suzie as she mouthed silent death threats at Minseok, her hands threatening to punch him; Minseok laughed at her and caught her fists gently.

‘We were watching dramas, Baozi! Why did you make them think that something weird was happening? Now I’ll never live this down!’ Suzie yelled as Minseok continued to deflect her attacks.

‘Now we’ll never live this down.’ Minseok corrected gently, his and leaving Suzie’s fist and a strand of her hair.

‘You two are too… I don’t even know.’ Luhan suddenly muttered loudly. He tilted his head to one side, and then back to the other. With his hugely, deceptive eyes he observed the way Minseok held Suzie so possessively when she obviously wasn’t used to his excessive PDA. Suddenly it dawned on him.

‘Oh.’ Luhan let out the sound gently. But everyone heard.

‘Oh, what?’ Sehun murmured, trying to follow Luhan’s train of thought, it took a few seconds of observation before finally, ‘Oh.’

‘Tell me about it.’

‘That’s so sweet.’ Sehun deadpanned, before he turned back to his phone. It wasn’t that he didn’t care, but now he’d figured it out he didn’t need to say anything else.

‘Care to share?’ Baekhyun loudly interjected from the other side of the couch, Chanyeol was looking up as well, completely oblivious to what had just happened.

‘Minseok’s jealous.’ Luhan stated matter of factly.

‘Quite sweet really.’ Sehun added.

‘Considering how much he claims to be laid back.’ Luhan finished decisively.

Minseok jumped away from Suzie quickly, he hadn’t realised his possessive side was leaking out. She just smiled at him and threaded their fingers. The contrast was beautiful. Perfectly imperfect. Flash.  The camera flash snapped Minseok and Suzie’s gaze apart as they turned and gasped at the Baekhyun, he smiled mischievously as he danced around the sofa, all the while waving his phone.

‘Don’t worry I’ll send you both copies!’ Baekhyun sang flinging himself around as he tried to desperately avoid Minseok and Kyungsoo’s grasping hands. Try as they may to catch him, Baekhyun was just too fast. Suddenly Baekhyun stopped moving. He stared at his phone screen, his eyes wide and his mouth slack, he looked horrified. ‘.’ Baekhyun deadpanned.

‘What did you do, Baekhyun?’ Minseok snarled dangerously.

‘We may have a slight problem.’ Baekhyun turned around to show everyone the text he had just sent, a reply quickly popped up onto the screen, shifting the picture higher up the screen.

 

From: Manager Hyung

Come back. Now.

 

‘.’ Minseok echoed Baekhyun’s curse softly before turning to stare at Suzie. In that moment, both their worlds started to fall down.