Confession

Always

The tension was palpable when the boys finally reached the dorm; there had been no trips for emergency bubble tea or unicorn merchandise on the way home. The silence they’d journeyed in was filled with never-ending apologies from Baekhyun and automatically dull responses from Minseok. He’d waited a year to finally gain the courage to break the rules and do what he wanted for once, and on the first day it was ruined. Their Manager had photographic evidence of him and Suzie being together. I could lie and say it was just hand holding as friends, friends can do that, right? Minseok brushed his thoughts aside, if he was going to do this he was going to be honest about. The photograph was more than just a man and a woman holding hands; it was the way they looked at each other. As though they’d been lost and suddenly everything made sense, like they knew where they were finally going. Minseok couldn’t lie, he owed it to Suzie.

Their Manager waited for them in his office, he had the door cracked open and was sat behind his large glass desk, his laptop closed in front of him. Shuffling in nervously the boys huddled together forming one concrete mass. Nobody spoke as their Manager stood up gently and walked round to the front of the desk, resting gently on the edge.

‘Well, I hope you have an explanation for this.’ EXO’s manager spoke calmly as he held the photograph out to show them all, on the screen a couple held hands as they gazed into each other’s eyes. It appeared so innocent, but from the look on their Manager’s face, Minseok was aware he didn’t see anything innocent in it whatsoever.  

‘Manager Hyung, I can explain.’ Minseok spoke up.

‘Wait, Manager Hyung-’ Junmyeon attempted to talk but Minseok cut across him. Causing the other boys angelic façade to flake away, revealing nerves and fear, Minseok wouldn’t let Junmyeon take the fall for this.

‘I can explain.’ He repeated strongly; he stepped forward from the group of boys who had formed a barricade between him and their manager. ‘I am in love with this girl. I have been for nearly a year now.’

The Manager twitched at Minseok’s words, it was one thing for an idol to date someone, it was another issue altogether to do it secretly for an entire year. The fans would be baying for blood, begging the location of this girl so they could hunt her down and skin her alive. How can this kid be so dumb? What about her career? What about her life?

‘You do realise that if this gets out her life will be ruined?’ Their Manager snapped suddenly, throwing his phone down on the desk and waving a hand through the air, gesturing as though Suzie were right beside him.

‘I won’t leave her.’ Minseok’s eyes flicked upwards, locking onto target. He was a few inches shorter than their Manager, but in that moment he seemed to tower above him. Empowered by his emotions he rolled his shoulders and straightened his back. ‘I’ve put Suzie through enough pain over the past year, by not being able to tell her how I feel. This career means that I can never hope to date somebody publicly without risking damaging the group or my reputation or her well-being, I am aware of that. But I won’t leave her. Not now.’

EXO examined their eldest member carefully. Minseok was a quiet individual, honest and careful, he didn’t say anything he didn’t mean and his affections were sincere. Their Manager peered at Minseok carefully, visibly weighing the options. All eyes were on him as the scales were balanced.

‘Suzie was your tutor before, yes?’ Everyone focused on the manager.

Minseok nodded.

‘She taught all of you?’ He asked, noting something down in a journal on his desk.

The boys nodded in unison.

‘Then perhaps, it is time it work on your English skills again.’ Minseok couldn’t help but smile, his cheeks filled out with the warmth of his emotions as he flung his arms around the Managers shoulders, much to his surprise, the Manager laughed and pushed him away before turning to make a phone call. The boys started to file out of their Managers office, nerves from before dispersing more quickly than rainwater down a drain.

‘What’s the catch, Hyung?’ Minseok asked as he reached the doorway, peering back over his shoulder, a sudden sense of fear tracing its claws down his back.

 ‘Don’t get caught.’ With a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes the Manager shut his door. Minseok turned and looked at the sea of smiling faces in front of him, but somehow he couldn’t quite muster up the same spirit.

 


 

‘I’m still sorry, Hyung.’ Baekhyun mumbled as they all sat and ramyeon together around a small stove. Kyungsoo was in charge of making sure Minseok was okay, every few seconds Kyungsoo would glare over at the Baekhyun and he would automatically blush and hastily apologise for his actions.

‘Don’t worry, because of you I get scheduled times to see Suzie now.’ Minseok smiled and realised some part of him, no matter how small, actually did appreciate Baekhyun’s mistake. ‘Manager told me that staying over now is too risky, so I have to try and keep our relationship within our lesson times. We can date then.’

‘What about actually, I don’t know, learning English?’ Sehun scoffed quietly.

‘What was that honorific, Sehun, I didn’t catch it?’ Minseok narrowed his eyes in his maknae’s direction, determined to feel like he had some sort of control over the brat.

‘Oh, my apologies! What about learning English, Hyung?’ Sehun sang cheerfully, his false smile causing his eyes to crinkle up. I swear this kid is pure evil.

‘That’s the catch. I have to do that too.’ Minseok rubbed a hand through his hair sheepishly.

‘Well, at least we know you’ll be learning like the rest of us and not just sleeping with the teacher, Hyung!’ Jongdae crowed, earning himself a high five from Jongin.

Minseok chuckled awkwardly. Screw the rest of the world. How am I going to put up with you guys? Minseok wondered as he went back to his bowl silently, he felt he’d had quite enough attention for one day.