Dreamland

Silence is louder than words

Yoseob felt the sun on his body, and he opened his eyes. He didn't know where he was but it was summer here, the air suddenly thick and humid and the skies were a beautiful shade of pink. The setting somehow looked very familiar. 

 

He looked around and saw that he was sitting on a wooden floor outside a small wooden house. Something caught his eyes and he stared at his hands. They were not the rough large hands he possessed but instead were small and soft. Like a child's. He looked at his legs; they were also far too skinny and small to be his.  Standing up carefully, eveything seemed taller to him. Yoseob walked around, and his body felt light. He was wearing a pair of sandals, a t-shirt and light blue shorts. These clothes also looked very familiar to him. 

 

Perhaps he had fallen asleep, or maybe he was day dreaming. He suddenly couldn't remember where he had been earlier, but it had not been here. From what it looked liked, he was in the country right now. A few things were coming back to him now. He opened his hands and saw that he had been holding onto a shiny gold badge. This was strange. Walking slowly and suspiciously around the wooden floor, he caught sight of a large bowl with water on a table outside. Deciding to wake himself up by washing his face with the water, he walked over to the bowl and leaned over. 

 

He had not expected this, Yoseob thought, jumping back at what he had seen in the reflection of the water. Maybe what he had seen was a mistake. Slowly looking once again into the water, he stared at wonder back at the little boy who stared back at him. It was him. Not an adult version of him, but a little boy version of him, from years ago. He gingerly touched his face, and the boy in the water did the same. He looked very innocent and his chin was very pointy. He had short hair at that time, and it felt very prickly he noticed as he touched it. His eyes were bigger than ever, but had a soft, naive touch to it. He looked away from the water;  he knew where he was now. 

 

He was six, maybe seven years old right now. It was summer, and he had just arrived back from school. It had been a good day at school. Yoseob had won a prize for getting top marks in class, and he couldn't wait to show her the prize he had gotten. He opened his hands; he hadn't seen the little gold badge in years. It had been lost, when he had to move into the city. 

 

Suddenly Yoseob realised something that made his skin tingle. If he was right, then in a few minutes he would be able to see her again. See her for the first time in years. His heart filled up with hope and he impatiently tapped his fingers, waiting. 

 

"Yoseob." he heard a voice behind him, a voice that he had longed to hear ever since she had disappeared. He quickly turned his head, and his heart gave flipped. It was her. Without thinking, he ran to her and jumped, giving her a hug as tight as he could. Her light, sweet scent seemed so realistic; Yoseob wasn't sure if he was dreaming now. He hoped he wasn't.

 

"I've missed you." He said, and stared back at her. She looked younger than the last time he'd seen her, with far less wrinkles and white hair and then Yoseob realised that maybe she was also the same age as she had been when they had lived here. She also looked far more lively than she had been after they had moved. She seemed like a memory to him, but here she was in front of him now.

 

"I've missed you too," she smiled her crooked smile, and gave Yoseob a squeeze. At this age, she was much taller than Yoseob so she seemed to loom over him. There was a somehow sad yet happy look in her eyes. "You've grown a lot. You look the same, but I can see you've matured a lot."

 

"Where have you been? Why didn't you keep in contact with me? Where are you now? Are you real?" Yoseob asked in a rush, but the only respond he got from her was a finger held to his lips. 

 

"We don't have much time; questions like that can be answered later. For now, let's enjoy the time we have."

 

Yoseob's heart sank at those words; from what she said it seemed like this was only temporary. Neverless, he tried to smile and ignore the panic in his mind. 

 

"So, what do you want to do in this time?" she asked. There was countless things that Yoseob could think of, but in the end there was one that stood out the most. 

 

"Sing me the lullaby." he asked her. She smiled, and nodded. Yoseob closed his eyes and then she began to sing in the same sweet voice in his childhood. 

 

No matter how difficult it gets as I fall from being tired
The light that shines on me again
Even though I want to give up and run away
It shines towards me even brighter
If the lights go on again and shines over me again
I will raise myself again
Lights go on again
lights go on again
When the light shines over me and wakes me again
It will move my heart again
Lights go on again
Lights go on again
Oh lights go on again
Oh oh lights go on again yeah
Oh lights go on again
Oh oh lights go on again on again

 

Just by that one song, Yoseob felt lighter than he had in years. Although he always sung this to himself every night, it felt different when she sung it. It had been, afterall her who had sung it to him in the first place. It was that one song that gave his life, the will to carry on. It gave him hope. 

 

When she finished, Yoseob opened her eyes and blinked. He didn't know whether it was just him, but she seemed to have aged a few years since the last tine he had opened his eyes. Also, it seemed a lot darker outside. 

 

"Yoseob-ah, I don't have much time right now. There's probably a lot of questions you want to know right now, isn't there?" He nodded. "I'm sorry that I couldn't be there for you when you needed me. I wish I could say that I'll be there to save you, but I can't."

 

"You don't have to save me, I never wanted that. Just please, stay next to me." he whispered. He hadn't noticed till now, but she was wearing a necklace. On that necklace was a hourglass that was almost full on one side. He looked back up at her, and once again she looked weaker and older. Her hair was whiter, and her laugher lines were replaced with wrinkles. 

 

"I'm sorry. I want to stay here, but this is all the time I can have. I'm sorry, I have to leave now." she said, and then turned around. Without thinking, Yoseob grabbed for her wrist but he grabbed thin air. Already she had begun to disappear. 

 

"No! Please don't go." Yoseob pleaded, but she carried on walking away as if she didn't hear him. It was dark outside now, and she was beginning to turn into nothing but darkness. "No! Don't go! I'm sorry, I won't expect anything. Just stay with me, please don't go. Please." Although he knew it was in vain and he winced at the desperate tone in his voice, what hurt him the most was seeing her go again, just another person disappearing from his life. He couldn't see her now, and no matter how hard he squinted all he could see was darkness. It was pitch black now. 

 

Suddenly, the floor broke away and Yoseob found himself falling down, falling into a pit of nothingness. No he was wrong, it wasn't a pit of nothingness but a pit of memories. 5 years old, the first time he had meet his stepmother. 10 years old, hiding in the toilets so that no one would find him. His first day of high school. Meeting Junhyung for the first time. Wishing he wasn't alive for the millionth time. 

 

You're the worst thing that happened to this family. Still falling into darkness, Yoseob heard a unpleasant and familiar voice enter his head. He tried to shake it away but it came back to him even louder. You don't deserve to exsist. 

 

No. She's wrong. They're wrong, Yoseob tried to persuade himself but before he could finish the voice came back, and this time he could feel someone squeeze him tighter and tighter. 

 

Just seeing you makes us sick; you're unloved.

 

Wrong. It's wrong.

 

You don't deserve to live; it'll be better for you to be dead. 

 

Wrong. 

 

You were bad luck the moment you were born.

 

Wr-

 

You're nobody. You're nothing.

 

By now, Yoseob was being squeezed so tight that he could hardly breath. He tried to yell, but all he could do was gasp. The voices became louder in his head, and he began to fall even faster now, the memories passing as a blur of colours to him. His heart beat faster and  he began to panic as he struggled from lack of oxygen. Wriggling around, the hands around him finally let go and he began to scream like he never had. At his scream, his body began to shake as if someone was shaking him, and although the voices had disappeared there was a new, unfamiliar voice he could hear now. A voice different to the others. 

 

Wake up.

 

Wake up.

 

Wake up. 

 

 

A/N: Sorry this was a short update, I just wanted to make sure that I would update and not procrasinate. For those you couldn't figure it out, this is Yoseob's dream/nigtmare. I'm going to be busy next week, but the week after that is holidays so hopefully I can update lots then! I hope I didn't make you too confused on this chapter,  it was only suppose to leave a hint of mystery... Enjoy!