Haunted Dreams

Silence is louder than words

Doojoon looked around the library and smiled. The library looked exactly the same as it had the last time he had came here. It even had the same musky thick scent, of ancient books and perfume from the old lady who still worked there. Memories of studying, laughing with his friends and reading the wonderful stories hidden inside each book flooded him. Although Doojoon was someone who liked changes and was always up for something new, he did miss the feeling of familiarity. The feeling of home.

 

"Doojoon! I heard that you came back... Its good to see you!" he heard a familiar voice call at him. He turned around and grinned.

 

"Dongwoon. Havent seen you in a while." he shook him hand and then looked at him up and down in amazement. "I swear, you've grown a good 10cm since the last time we've meet."

 

Son Dongwoon was a librarian that Doojoon had meet the first time he had came here. The youngest librarian of 18 years at the time, Doojoon immediately warmed up to the quiet but kind boy. He helped Doojoon with reasearch, recommended him books that he would enjoy and sometimes would help Doojoon out when he was having a hard time. Now the same age as Doojoon, Dongwoon seemed better than ever. His face was beaming, and he seemed to be smiling brighter than ever. Doojoon was glad that things were good for him. Dongwoon came from an rich family, so when he chose to become a librarian he had a lot of trouble persuading his family that he was doing the right thing. And he had, for anyone could tell just by looking at Dongwoon the passion and love he had for books, how carefully he took care of them and talked about them as if they were as precious as gold. Others might have thought that he was insane but Doojoon didn't. In fact rather than pity he envied Dongwoon. He was lucky to have such a passion to live for.

 

"Your exaggerating, maybe you just shrunk." Dongwoon replied, patting him on his head. He had always been tall but now he seemed to loom over Doojoon. "Hows your buisness at home?"

 

"Oh good. The usual." he said vaguely and Dongwoon noticed the little frown that appeared on Doojoons face. It disappeared as quickly as it had appeared when he began talking again. "Hows the library?"

 

"We're a bit short of staff, so today we're teaching the people who want to work here the basics." Dongwoon told him, pointing to the group of people gathered on the other side.

 

"Oh! Do you need any help?" Doojoon asked. He had planned to go read, but he was ready to help if he could.

 

"Not right now but if we need any, I know who to go to now. I have to go meet up with the newbies now, I'll catch up with you later." Dongwoon smiled, and then quickly walked away to the new librarians.

 

Doojoon stared at way Dongwoon smiled at the people, they were probably talking about some book. He looked as if he was as if he was truely happy. A sharp feeling of envy tug at him, and he quickly shook it away. Why should he be jealous of him? Doojoon lived a good life, better than most. He was well-off, had faithful friends and his family. 'There's nothing to complain about', he told himself. Your just being greedy. Shaking his head, just as Doojoon was about to walk to the adults fiction books, he felt something bump into him.

 

"Oh I'm sorry-" the quiet voice said, before he saw Doojoon. Both of them stared at each other in suprise; the owner of the voice was Yoseob.

 

"Well isn't it a pleasure bumping into you, Yoseob." Doojoon smiled polietly. It had only been a day since he had seen him, but Doojoon saw a significant difference with him. His eyes were extremely tired looking, and he looked bleak. It looked as if the energy had been drained out of him, and Doojoon couldn't help feeling worried and protective over Yoseob, someone who he had met only a day ago. He had a strange effect on Doojoon.

 

"Good morning." Yoseob said quietly, bowing in a 90 degree angle.

 

"Your Hyunseung's friend aren't you? What are you doing here?" Doojoon asked casually. However, his question was answered by Dongwoon who came over to them.

 

"There you are Yoseob! I was wondering whether you were coming or not.. You still in for the job?" Yoseob nodded. "Oh that's good. Just go over to where the rest of the group are, we'll be starting the tutorial soon."

 

After Yoseob left, Dongwoon turned to Doojoon. "You know about that help you were talking about? Well Ji Eun can't work today so I was wondering... could you help out with showing the basics?"

 

Doojoon looked over to Yoseob and found himself nodding without hesistating. "Of course."

 

--

 

It had been three hours since Yoseob had arrived at the library. The work that Dongwoon showed him wasn't too hard once you got the hang of it, and he would have even enjoyed it if he wasn't so tired. The library was very quiet and peaceful which Yoseob liked. He had always liked libraries, because no one took notice of him. He was just another person wanting to read a book, and when he read a book he wasn't Yoseob anymore. He wasn't unloved, he wasn't treated like dirt. Instead he was into another world, where he was someone else with completely different problems. He didn't have to worry anything while he was reading. Sometimes Yoseob wondered if living in a book would be nicer.

 

They had split into groups now, and Yoseob was with Doojoon tidying and re-ordering the books in the non-fiction shelves. Tidying bookshelves were actually harder than what Yoseob had expected, and he was getting a headache from making sure that the numbers were in order. His arms were aching more and more each book he changed, and his eyes were getting sleepier and sleepier. He looked around and saw that Doojoon had disappeared. Yoon Doojoon. Ever since Yoseob had meet Doojoon, something had been different. There was something about Doojoon that made Yoseob nervous. It wasn't that he was a bad person or anything, it was the fact that he talked to him so casually, as if he was a friend. Yoseob was used to being smiled at once and then being ignored or just ignored completely but Doojoon wasn't like that. He tried talking with him, smiling and helping him when he had a problem. However Yoseob didn't know how to react at that. Was he suppose to laugh? Or was he suppose to not say anything? In confusion, Yoseob always ended up saying nothing to Doojoon's questions, which made him even more nervous. In a strange way, Doojoon's behaviour was worse than the usual behaviour he received. His behaviour made him feel confused, and Yoseob hated feeling confused; he hated changes, and he hated being put in a unfamiliar situation. They always made him feel vunerable and afraid. By now Yoseob had learnt that fear was your enemy- to stay away from it as much as possible.

 

Rubbing his eyes wearily, he stopped organising the bookshelf for a moment and curled up in a ball. He was extremely tired from staying up, and if he hadn't felt a suprising coldness against his cheek he would have fallen asleep. He jumped immediately at the cool touch against his cheek and looked up to see Doojoon smiling at him, holding  something in his hand.

 

"I got us some iced coffee- you look tired." He held the drink out to Yoseob, and he looked at it for a while before hesistantly receiving it. He didn't drink it though but stared at it in his hand, rolling it slowly back and forth. Apart from Junhyung, when was the last time someone had given him something?

 

Seeing Yoseob's blank expression, Doojoon laughed kindly. "It's not a bomb you know. Just drink some- it'll wake you up. Go on," he urged him, and Yoseob opened the can, making it hizz. He slowly brought it to his lips, and then drank a little. His eyes widened a little, and he blinked. "I told you it'll wake you up, didn't I?" Doojoon said. Although Yoseob still seemed to be wary of him, he seemed to have loosed up a little and had begun to have eye-contact with him now. Smiling, he patted Yoseob on the shoulder and he felt him stiffen. At Doojoon's touch, Yoseob's body froze and his heart began to beat faster. He didn't know why but he suddenly felt very afraid, almost as if something bad would happen.

 

"Sorry, I have to go to the toilet." Yoseob suddenly said eruptedly and stood up quickly, making Doojoon take his hand off. "I'll be back soon." He walked away briskly, and Doojoon blinked a few times. Why had he gone out suddenly? Had he done something wrong? Perhaps Yoseob didn't like coffee. Or maybe he had stepped into his personal bubble. Doojoon was quite a comfortable, open person but he knew that not all people were like that. He remembered the conversation that he had with Hyunseung before; he had told him that Yoseob wasn't a people's person. Maybe Doojoon had just made him feel uncomfortable.

 

Yoseob didn't stop walking until he got to the children's section and when he did he sunk to the ground. He didn't know why but when Doojoon had touched his shoulder it had given a jolt in his body and his brain immediately shrieked danger. Almost by instinct, he had learnt to back away but now he had probably freaked Doojoon out. Yoseob buried his face in his hands. Why was he so awkward with people?

 

He hadn't always been like this. Even when things hadn't been good, as a child he was still able to smile and laugh. He guessed that it was his naive and innocent manner that probably allowed him to do this. Nowdays, he almost never smiled. He also seemed to be afraid of human contact- just thinking about what had happened before gave Yoseob shivers. Only in Yoseob's head it wasn't Doojoon's hand he saw touch his shoulder but a slender, skeleton-like hand that grabbed for him. Yoseob could feel himself begin to lose control again, so he breathed slowly and began to count to ten. By the time he had gotten to eight he was better, so he stood up and walked back to where they had been working.

 

"You good?" Doojoon asked him when he came. He was concentrating on the books, and didn't look freaked out at all. In fact, he looked at if nothing had happened.

 

Yoseob nodded, and sat down where he had been before. Was he suppose to act as if nothing had happened before as well? Or was he suppose to apologise for his sudden behaviour? Before Yoseob could decide, Doojoon took the first step.

 

"I'm sorry if I happened to upset you in any way." He told Yoseob sincerely. Yoseob was surprised; he made it seem as if it was his own fault that Yoseob had reacted that way. "If I did, I promise it won't happen again."

 

"I'm o-okay. You did nothing wrong. I just..." Yoseob stammered, but he didn't know how to explain what he had felt. How could you explain the sudden fear he felt at the touch, and the memories that appeared into his head? Memories that always seemed to haunt Yoseob no matter how hard he wished them to go away. How could you explain that kind of feeling?

 

"It's okay; you don't have to tell me. I don't have the right to demand you for an answer. Just knowing that your okay is fine." Doojoon told him, and then left it at that with a smile. Yoseob didn't know how to react. He felt even more confused now. 

 

Doojoon was the total opposite to what Yoseob was used to.

 

-

 

It had grown dark now, and it was soon time to go. Everyone was saying goodbye to each other apart from Doojoon who was looking around. He hadn't seen Yoseob since they worked together a few hours ago, and he wasn't here with everyone else. Doojoon was starting to get worried.

 

"Hey Dongwoon; have you seen Yoseob?" he asked him. Dongwoon thought for a moment, before answering.

 

"I think I remember him saying that he was going to re-shelf the cartoon section. If your looking for him, you might want to go there. It's getting late; tell him to finish up because the library's closing soon." Dongwoon told him. Doojoon nodded, and then walked quickly to where he thought the cartoon section was. He tried looking in the first row- no sign of him. He tried looking in the seond row and had no luck. Finally on the third row just as he was going to give up he saw someone small leaning against the wall. Yoseob.

 

He quietly walked over to him, and from his heavy breathing and closed eyes he realised that he was sleeping. If he was sleeping peacefully he would have felt bad for trying to wake him up but Yoseob was beginning to twitch, and he was frowning slightly.

 

"Yoseob-ah. Yoseob-ah." Doojoon tried calling, but he only shook his head slightly. He hesistated but finally gently grabbed his shoulders and shook them lightly. "Yoseob-ah."

 

"No... no...." he heard him say quietly, and then began to grow louder. "No... I'm sorry..."

 

Doojoon looked at the time. They were late. "Yoseob, please wake up."

 

"No... Please..." Yoseob muttered. Doojoon was beginning to get worried; from the tone of his voice, whatever his dream was didn't sound very good. In fact it sounded like a nightmare. He shook him harder, but Yoseob didn't wake up. He was trying to decide what to do when suddenly Yoseob did something unexpected.

 

He began to scream.

 

A/N: Sadly, my week has been really busy so I didn't update as I thought I would. I tried my best in this chapter, and added some Doojoon in it. You see, Doojoon is slowly going to become important to the story. I'm sorry; I would like to tell you guys about Yoseob's past but I think that I need to reveal it slowly bit by bit to make it interesting! Yoseob's dream/nightmare however will reveal more of his past... Enjoy!