Hesitation

Silence is louder than words

It had been almost two weeks since Doojoon had begun working at the library. 

 

When he wasn't meeting up with Hyunseung or Kikwang he was usually at the library even on days he wasn't working. Although the library was always quiet, it was different to the silence that he found at home waiting for him at night. The silence at the library was peaceful whereas the silence at home left Doojoon in a state of denial, and it would remind him of the reason why he had come back to his hometown in the first place. To find the thing that had once been inside  him, but had now vanished. 

 

However, the library wasn't always better than home, Doojoon thought to himself as he unconciously looked up and then looked back down as he realised what he was doing. He felt like a stalker; he didn't know why he was doing it but every now and then he would catch himself staring at him. Staring at the person that hadn't left his mind since he had first meet him. 

 

It had also been almost two weeks since Doojoon had talked to Yoseob. The last time he had was the night he had found Yoseob sleeping; the night he had been dreaming of a nightmare. It still gave Doojoon as he remembered Yoseob's painfully raw scream...

 

Suddenly out of nowhere, Yoseob opened his mouth and began screaming. It was a strange scream, angelic yet filled with anguish and fear. He sounded like he was being tortured; whatever he was dreaming wasn't pleasant. 

 

"Yoseob. Wake up!" Doojoon began to shout, shaking him harder. He was starting to panic; why wasn't he waking up? "Wake up! Wake up!"

 

With one last shake, Yoseob bolted up and gasped. His eyes were unfocused and his breathing was uneven. The screaming had stopped now but the terror obviously hadn't as he was shaking violently. Worried, Doojoon squeezed his hands gently. 

 

"Shhh, it's okay. You're fine." He told Yoseob feeling slightly foolish. What was okay? Did he even know what he was talking about? However his words seemed to give a positive reaction as Yoseob began to calm done, the look in his eyes returning back to normal. Suddenly realising that he wasn't alone, Yoseob looked at Doojoon with wide eyes. 

 

"Wha-what are you doing here?" he asked him fearfully. Holding his two cold hands, Doojoon could feel Yoseob's pulse become faster. "Did... you just come?"

 

"It was closing time, and you weren't seen anywhere so I went to go get you." Doojoon hesistated, before asking his next question. "You looked like you weren't dreaming of something nice... Are you okay?"

 

"I'm fine! Just had a bad dream, that's all." Yoseob quickly said, blinking rapidly. Then he looked down and saw that Doojoon was holding his hands and snatched them out of his grip almost apologetically. Taking a few deep breaths, Yoseob asked slowly, "Did I do... anything weird?"

 

"I was trying to wake you up when you started screaming... are you really okay? Look, your still shaking." Doojoon said, a look of concern on his face. He went to touch his arm but Yoseob immediately stood up, stepping away from him. 

 

"I'm truly fine; just please don't tell anyone about this. I'm sorry but I really have to go now, thank you very much for waking me up." Yoseob rambled on. He had a panicked expression now and his face was going pale. And then straight after he said that he bowed quickly, then turned around and ran without looking back once. 

 

Doojoon hesistated, before taking another quick look at him. He seemed exactly how he had been when he had first seen him; he had a expressionless look on his face, his mouth was firm and his eyes looked empty. His posture was stiff as he shelved the books and he was staring intensely at the book in his hand. If he could feel Doojoon staring at him, he was ignoring it. That was all it seemed that Yoseob had been doing to him since that night; ignoring him. The distance felt even further between Doojoon and Yoseob that it had been the first time they had met. He always worked with his back against him, he never meet his eyes and he seemed to be avoiding him altogether. Doojoon didn't know what exactly he had done that was so wrong but he knew one thing: Yoseob was not okay. It seemed rather bold of Doojoon to believe this, as he didn't know Yoseob well enough but it was the little hints that he got from looking at him that made Doojoon believe this. He flinched even more than he had before whenever someone came near him, he hardly talked unless he was asked something and he jumped at the slightest sound. His expression was always clenched and when he tried to smile it always came out forced. Something was definately wrong with him, but only Doojoon seemed to notice. 

 

He wanted to help, go up to him and talk to him. He wanted to hear whatever he had to say, what he was feeling and what was wrong. But how could he? He didn't have the right to ask him questions; Yoseob barely even knew who he was. However it didn't stop Doojoon from thinking this as he worked. Maybe he would just say one thing to him; ask him how he was. Perhaps just saying hello would be fine. Just as he was persuading himself, his phone vibrated from his pocket and Doojoon looked to see who it was. Hyunseung. 

 

Quickly running to the bathroom, Doojoon picked up after he made sure nobody was inside. "Hello?"

 

"Doojoon! I'm going out to eat lunch soon; do you have time to eat with me?" Hyunseung asked cheerfully. He seemed to be in a good mood; probably something to do with Junhyung. Doojoon checked his watch; it was close to lunch break. 

 

"Sure, at the usual right? Okay, I'll see you soon." Doojoon told him, and then hung up. He lingered in the bathroom for a few seconds, before making up his mind. He would go talk to Yoseob as soon as he came out, whether it was a bad or good idea. Taking a deep breath, he opened the door and walked out, returning back to where he had been before. He looked around once. Confused, he looked around another time. It was after he looked three times that he realised something;

 

He was gone. 

 

-

 

"Ah, there's nothing like cheap coffee that tastes good." Hyunseung sighed as he took a sip. "I honestly don't know why people pay for so much at over-priced cafes when they could just come over here."

 

Doojoon and Hyunseung were in a small cafe that they and Kikwang had gone to ever since high school. It might have been small and secluded but the atmosphere was warm and gave a safe vibe. They were also regular customers so the owners always gave them something special to eat as a bonus. Today's special was strawberry tart, which Hyunseung was now eating ravinously as if he hated eaten in days. 

 

"Slow down, your going to choke. Why are you in such a good mood?" Doojoon laughed. 

 

"Junhyung sent me flowers at work today." Hyunseung couldn't help but beam. "I really do love him; he's the best." 

 

"I'm glad you two aren't fighting anymore." Dojoon told him. After Junhyung had found out that Hyunseung had meet Yoseob, there had been an arguement as Junhyung had gotten angry that Hyunseung hadn't told him earlier. However it seemed like things were back to normal. "Have you told him that Yoseob's been working at the library?"

 

"Not yet." Hyunseung said honestly, biting his lip. "I don't know whether it'll be best for either of them; Junhyung will just straight away go to the library to find him like an over-protective mother and I don't know if Yoseob will want that. He definately disappeared for a reason although we don't know what it is. Talking about Yoseob, how is he?"

 

Doojoon hesistated; he wanted to tell Hyunseung about Yoseob's nightmare but he remembered Yoseob telling him firmly not to tell anyone. Smiling, he replied, "He seems okay. I haven't had the chance to talk to him because we're working, but I'm sure he is."

 

"Well that's good; the main reason Junhyung's so clingy with Yoseob is that he's afraid that he won't be able to stand for himself. Can I ask you a favour though?"

 

"Sure." Doojoon said, taking a bite of his sandwich. 

 

"Can you have your eye on Yoseob? I don't mean consistantly but look after him every now and them? After all there must be a reason why Junhyung's always so protective over him."

 

"Of course." Doojoon replied, thinking inside that he sort of already was. 

 

"And Doojoon? Is there something up with you?" 

 

Surprised, Doojoon blinked. "What do you mean?"

 

"I mean, ever since you've gotten here you've been quiet, and you haven't mentioned once about your life where you live! So what's wrong? It's not your family is it?"

 

"No, they're fine." Doojoon rolled his eyes at him. 

 

"Girlfriend? Or, ex -girlfriend?" Hyunseung raised his eyebrow at him. 

 

"No! I haven't been dating anyone for a while." Doojoon told him. 

 

Hyunseung's shoulders slumped, and he grumbled. "Fine, then what is it?"

 

Doojoon laughed at his expression. "It's nothing, I told you." he lied. "What, are you wanting bad news from me or something?" he teased. 

 

"Of course not! But I'm usually always right..." Hyunseung pouted and Doojoon smiled as he sulked. 

 

He felt bad for not telling his friends yet, but it didn't seem right to. Heck, even Doojoon wasn't sure why the feeling had disappeared. Maybe after he found out why, maybe then he would tell his friends. 

 

-

 

Yoseob was walking home when he saw the sign. He has passed the mart when he turned back and looked at what was on the window. It was a large sign, and when Yoseob looked it read: Free Soju! Can have as many bottles as you would like.

 

Normally, Yoseob wouldn't have even glimpsed at the sign but today was different. He hadn't had anything at all today, and the word soju seemed more  and more appetizing as he read the sign. Even if it was liquid, it would probably full him up a little. However something seemed wrong with drinking alcohol. Afterall, Yoseob had never drunk alcohol once. But his stomach grumbled and so without another thought Yoseob entered the mart. He went to the counter and his lips nervously. 

 

"Um.. could I have two bottles of soju please?" 

 

"Are you of age?" The girl at the counter asked suspiciously. Sighing, Yoseob nodded. After looking at him up and down, the girl finally gave him the two bottles but not without a pursed lip. Bowing, he left the mart and sat down at one of the tables outside the mart. Picking up one of the bottles, he put it on his face and jumped at the sudden coldness. Putting it back on the table, he gave another sigh. 

 

It was wrong, he knew that drinking alcohol especially a strong one like soju wasn't good. But he was hungry, tired and sick; sick of feeling how he felt right now. He heard that alcohol made you forget your worries- if it worked on other people then why wouldn't it work on him? It always worked on his father. Even if it was just for one night, he just wanted to forget everything and be peaceful.

 

"Here's to forgetting then." Yoseob told himself, and then opened the bottle and took a sip. 

 

-

 

It was dark; Doojoon had just said goodbye to Hyunseung and was walking home. He shivered at the cold; it certainly wasn't going to be a warm night. At least he could have some hot coffee when he got home. Suddenly, he realised something. 

 

'Damn. I used up all the milk today.' Doojoon groaned to himself. 'Nevermind, I'll just go buy some on the way.' After a few minutes of walking, Doojoon saw the green light of a mart and quickly walked to it. He saw the usual drunk people laughing outside before he entered, and he wondered why there were so many today. Grabbing the milk, he went to the counter to pay for it. 

 

"That will be $3, would you like a plastic bag?" The girl asked. 

 

"No thank you." Doojoon smiled, and after paying went out. A sign caught his eye and he laughed when he read it. Free soju. 

 

"No wonder everyone's here drinking." Doojoon chuckled, but stopped when his eyes layed on someone sitting at one of the tables. The person's head was on the table, and there were two empty bottles next to him. He had a small build that looked strangely familiar. Doojoon slowly walked towards him, and peered at him to look at his face. His eyes widened when he saw who it was. 

 

"Is that you Yoseob?"

 

A/N: Sorry that I've been away for so long! I truly do feel horrible, so that's why today I sat down and wrote for like two hours even though I didn't write very well! I also don't have time to go read over and edit, so sorry for the mistakes! I'll edit afterwards when I get to go on again :) Oh, and there's this fanfic that is being featured right now that I recommended a LOT: it's called 'Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you' and is just amazing. Seriously, it's written so well that mine just feels rubbish compared to it... Anyway please try read it! Also, thank you so much for all my followers; thank you for waiting for a long time and enjoy!