First Impressions

Silence is louder than words

A/N: I finished a really long chapter and I was about to publish it when my computer screwed up so I lost everything... Im still super annoyed and sorry for the not very good chapter that will be coming up... I'll do my best!

Another A/N: It happened AGAIN. My chapter didn't save for the second time. ARGHHHH! *screams inside head and cries as she begins to write her chapter all over*

 

It had been an hour since Doojoon had arrived at the police station and he was already beginning to get a sense of what his friend's typical day was like. Work, work and more work. From the moment Doojoon had stepped into the police station, Kikwang had been on the phones non stop, with always at least two phones jammed between his head and shoulder, scribbling down something. A third phone rang, and Doojoon swore that Kikwang was about to crack when he saw his eye twitch.

 

"You want me to get that?" Doojoon offered. Kikwang shook his head and picked it up. Doojoon smiled at his friend. Today was the first time he had seen Kikwang since they had graduated high school, and it seemed that he was the same person as the Kikwang he knew; independent, hard working and commited, maybe a little too commited. Doojoon looked around. From what he could tell, Kikwang was the youngest officer in the room,and he felt proud that Kikwang was on the way fulfilling his dream. However he felt slightly worried that he was working too hard. Knowing him, he probably hadn't taken any breaks yet.

 

'Even the seniors had gone out for lunch', Dooojoon frowned. No wonder Kikwang wasn't growing any taller, if he always skipped meals like this.

 

"Thank you,goodbye to you too miss." Kikwang said, and then ended his last phone call. The room was now quiet with no talking or phones ringing. Finally, some silence. "Thank gosh thats over for now. I'm sorry that you have to wait for me, I should be talking to you instead. I mean it is the first time we've meet in such a long time." Kikwang apologised.

 

"No it's okay its interesting to see you at work. You know I'm impressed officer Kikwang,"Doojoon playfully punched him on the shoulder. "Your working better than ever."

Kikwang blushed. "I'm only a policeman assistant, at least for now. Oh yeah, hey! Hows your job going on?"

 

Doojoon stomach clenched a little; he knew that he would eventually tell them about his choice but not now. "Why talk about work when we haven't even gotten to hang out yet? Lets save that for another day. Talking about hanging out, where's that other friend of ours? He's late as usual."

 

"I dont know... Let me call him." Kikwang reached for the phone. Before he could pick it up, Doojoon stopped him.

 

"Kikwang. Take a break. Go eat something, I know you havent had lunch yet."

 

"Im fine, besides I've got so much work to do before we go out. There's that report on that case that I have to do..."

 

"After. But first you eat. And dont lie that your not hungry." Doojoon smiled as Kikwang's stomach growled. "Food is better for the brain than coffee anyway."

 

Kikwang looked at his pile of coffee cups and reluctantly nodded. "But who will pick up the phones if they ring?"

 

"I'll look after everything, just go eat." Kikwang smiled warmly at his friend, before leaving. Doojoon took his phone out and began to dial a number. "Hey, its Doojoon. I was just wondering whether your coming soon... In 30 minutes? Alright see you soon!" He hung up and then looked around wondering what to do. Something caught Doojoon's eye and he walked over to Kikwang's table. Picking up the photo frame, he smiled at the picture of the three friends. They had been friends ever since they started high school and even though Doojoon didnt live in the same city as them anymore they still kept in contact, and made plans to see each other. Doojoon was glad to be back; although he wasnt going to stay here forever, he was here now and that was what really mattered. Suddenly he heard a commotion coming from outside and from the door entered three people. A woman was shouting violently as a police officer tried to calm her down. Beside them was a boy who looked very small and quiet compared to the officer and the woman. He was standing very still, and seemed to be in his own world rather than involved with the other people.

 

"Uh... How can I help you?" Doojoon cleared his throat.

 

The officer looked at him in relief. "Thank gosh your here! Im afraid that I have another duty to go to, could you please handle this situation for me? I'm sorry but I'm in a rush..."

 

Before Doojoon could tell him that he didnt work here the man left in a hurry. As he told Kikwang that he would help, Doojoon had no choice but to help. "What seems to be the problem?" he asked.

 

"This person stole my wallet!" the woman shrilled in a high pitch voice that drove Doojoon insane. She pointed the boy which surprised him. "Do you know how expensive this wallet is? If I hadnt found it..."  she shuddered, and glared at the boy.

 

"Could you please say what happened and when?" he asked. Doojoon didnt exactly know what to do, but he noticed that Kikwang always seemed to ask the people questions about surroundings and time.

 

"An hour ago, I found that my wallet was missing so I went back to the streets where I had been walking and found him holding my wallet! Now are you going to charge him for theft or not?"

 

Theft? Doojoon looked at the boy. He didn't seem like the type to steal, but Doojoon knew better than not to judge someone by their appearance. However, his guts were telling him that the boy hadn't stolen the wallet, and that there was some kind of mistake. Doojoon inspected him a little more; he was awfully quiet. He hadn't said a word since they'd arrived, and was instead looking down at the floor. His dark scruffy hair covered whatever facial expression he had, and Doojoon couldn't tell whatever he was thinking.

 

At that point, he seemed to sense that he was staring at him because he suddenly looked up. His face was tiny, so small that Doojoon's hand could have covered it. His body structure was also petite, and looked even smaller in his baggy shirt and trackpants. He had pale skin, dark circles under his eyes and his face was full of faded scars that you could only see in a certain light. If Doojoon had seen him from a distance, he would have thought that he was weak, young and fragile.

 

However, his eyes told another story. His eyes were huge orbs, that were such a dark shade of brown that his eyes looked almost black. Behind that expressionless look was a barrier, that immediately told him to back off. His big round eyes would have given him a childish image, if it had not been how mature they looked. They looked as if they belonged to someone much older, and had expericed a lot of things. It surprised Doojoon, but he couldn't help feel drawn to him.

 

What was the story behind those mysterious eyes?

 

"Hello sir? Aren't you going to do anything?" The woman's nagging voice brought Doojoon back to reality, and he blinked. Doojoon blushed slightly when he realised he'd been staring at the boy a little too long. He turned his attention to the problem again and looked at the woman.

 

"I'm afraid we can't make any accusations as we don't have enough evidence." Doojoon finally told her. "Now if you don't mind, could you pass me your bag?"

 

She passed her bag to him, and he looked inside carefully. When he finally found what he'd been looking for, he smiled. He'd seen this happen to his older sister a lot.

 

"Could you please tell me what you see here?" Doojoon asked the woman, pointing to the bottom of the bag. Her face fell.

 

"A h-hole..." the woman answered, going red.

 

"Correct. It is a big enough hole for a wallet to go through, is it not? My guess is that your wallet fell out of this hole, and then this boy-" the boy twitched as Doojoon said this, "-picked it up. He didn't steal the wallet off you, or keep it did he?" the woman shook her head. "This is an easy misunderstanding. I think that's cleared everything up, your free to go now. Do you need any other help?"

 

"No, thank you sir." The woman mumbled, and then quickly walked out of the room in an embarrassment. As the boy turned to go out, before Doojoon could think he opened his mouth.

 

"Wait! Could you please sit down for a minute?" The boy hesistated, before sitting where Doojoon pointed. Although Doojoon tried not to, he couldn't help but stare at him again. Everything about him seemed to intrigue him.

 

"Hello, I'm Yoon Doojoon." Doojoon gave his hand for him to shake, but the boy stared at it as if it wasn't there. This made Doojoon smile; he wasn't quite sure what it was but something about his behaviour amused him greatly. "I'm 23 years old." Why did he say that? The boy didn't look disinterested, but was more looking like he didn't know why he was here. Why was he here? For some reason Doojoon felt the urge to talk to him.

 

Before the boy could wonder if he was weird, Doojoon quickly said, "Your younger than me, aren't you?" He looked like a high-school student in his opinion. He looked at the time; it was lunch time. "Wait, shouldn't you be in school right now?"

 

Finally Doojoon got a reaction out of the boy; he first looked slightly surprised, which turned into annoyance and then back to his expressionless face. Whatever he had said had obviously annoyed the boy. Before he could ask anything else, the door opened and Doojoon heard Kikwang's voice.

 

"Hey Doojoon! Guess who we have here!"

 

Entering with Kikwang, was his other high-school friend Hyunseung. He was still as pretty and elegant looking as ever, although Doojoon knew that he was more clumsy than elegant. His point was proven when Hyunseung tripped over a cord. He smiled at Hyunseung and Hyunseung waved his hand at him, stopping when his sharp eyes looked behind Doojoon. There was a look of surprisement as he saw who it was.

 

"Yoseob! What on earth are you doing here?"