The Past

Silence is louder than words

Those haunting eyes drilled into him, and no matter how hard Yoseob tried looking away, he couldn't. It was like being in the hands of the devil.

 

"You ungrateful, spoilt boy," she hissed, coming closer and closer at each syllable. Yoseob tried to back away, which only made her more furious. "How dare you do this? After all we've done for you, even though your worth nothing!"

 

"I-it wasn't me..." Yoseob tried to say, but it came out more as mumbles. His heart pounded; he felt himself shrink as she glared at him like he was a cockroach.

 

"I knew from the moment I layed my eyes on you that you weren't any good. You're ugly, stupid, a liar and now a thief. I don't even know how you can talk without being ashamed of yourself."

 

Although Yoseob tried to tell himself that he wasn't worthless, that he wasn't stupid or any of the names she called him he couldn't help feel like a disgrace. When she spoke, he felt dirty; like a piece of gum on someone's shoe. Each comment she spat out felt like a dagger being stabbed into his heart.

 

"It wasn't me! I swear I didn't-" before he could finish, something quick and hard slapped him across his face, and he was breathless. The slap had been so hard that he grew dizzy for a few seconds, before he was okay. The numbness on his cheek was quickly replaced with a stinging feeling and his face burned.

 

"Shut up. Just shut up!" she screeched, slapping him once again. He was more prepared this time, but the force was so strong that he stumbled. He looked around for help, but everyone was looking away, ignoring Yoseob as if he weren't there. He turned to his last hope, and those eyes that had once been warm and filled with love stared back at him with darkness. His eyes looked at Yoseob coldily for a second, before turning his back on Yoseob. Yoseob felt so sick to the stomach that he didn't see another slap hit him. She kept slapping him, the slaps becoming more and more agressive, slowly turning into punches and now they weren't just on his face, but in his stomach, shoulder, everywhere. Each blow left Yoseob breathless, and the silent tears running down his face only made her hit harder. By now, his face was so swollen that he could see or say anything, but inside his head he was screaming one word so loud that it was all he could hear.

 

Help. Help.

 

With a jolt, Yoseob woke up screaming. Quickly, he covered his mouth incase anyone had heard him. He was sweating hard, and his breathing was irregular, panting hard. It was still night, so Yoseob couldn't see anything. Breathing in deeply, his heartbeat soon regained it's normal speed and his hands stopped shaking as much.

 

'It was just a dream,' Yoseob thought, but he knew that he was only half right. It was one of the many memories that was carved inside his head, reminding him at day and then coming back at night, haunting him in his dreams. The memory was so fresh, it seemed just like yesturday it had happened. Yoseob absent-mindedly touched his once sore cheek, and almost expected it to hurt. Closing his eyes, he sang his lullaby to himself and tried to fall asleep even though he knew that he wouldn't.

 

Not with those memories haunting him.

 

-

 

"Good morning... Yoseob?" Junhyung entered the room, only to find him staring blank into space. "Yoseob?"

 

"Oh! Sorry, I'll get back to work." Yoseob blinked, rubbing his eyes. Junhyung could see that Yoseob, as usual had not slept well.

 

"For a minute I thought you were going all Hyunseung on me," Junhyung laughed, although deep inside he was worried about the conversation he'd had with his mother last night.  "We should really take you to the hospital to check up on your insomia. I don't see why you can't seem to fall asleep."

 

Junhyung only knew about Yoseob's strange sleepless nights, but not the reason behind them and he planned to keep it that way. Junhyung was the closest person to Yoseob, and he knew most of Yoseob's secrets. However Yoseob still kept his distance with Junhyung, because no matter how hard he tried it frightened him to put his faith into someone. Trust was something that was not in his dictionary.

 

Today Yoseob tried to work better than he ever had, because he knew that it was his last one. Last night as he was trying to fall asleep, he decided that instead of making Junhyung fire him, he would just stop working to make it easier for him. He cleaned the dishes better than ever, served the customers quicker and even gave a faint smile at them. He would miss the red walls, and the shiny and slippery floor of the kitchen. Mainly he would miss working with Junhyung.

 

It was the end of his shift, and Yoseob was waiting for Junhyung outside as he was closing the resturant. Deciding now was the good time, Yoseob cleared his throat.

 

"Junhyung... I have some news." he said quietly, and Junhyung stopped locking the door to look at him. "I dont think I can work here anymore."

 

"Why not? Is something wrong?" Junhyung asked, concerned.

 

"No, everything's fine." Yoseob shook his head. "I... I got offered a job."

 

"Yoseob, that's excellent!" Junhyung smiled, feeling happy for him. Although Yoseob was skilled, and smart strangely he never got past beyond job interviews and now finally he had. "What kind of job is it?"

 

"I'm going to be someone's assistant.' Yoseob lied. "I really wanted it... I hope you don't mind."

 

"No! It's fine, as long as your doing what your want. So you won't be here tomorrow for work?" 

 

"No... Thank you for letting me work here, Junhyung hyung." Yoseob bowed, and Junhyung patted his shoulder.

 

"It's Junhyung, remember that. I'm so happy for you! Say, we should be celebrating! Let me take you out for dinner!" Junhyung offered, and Yoseob quickly shook his head.

 

"It's okay, I have some buisness to take care of... Besides, you promised Hyunseung you would meet him after work." Yoseob reminded him.

 

"Ah, your right. I guess I have to go Yoseob... take care of yourself. Come over and visit, okay? Or I'll come to see you."

 

Yoseob nodded, and Junhyung waved goodbye to him. After making sure that Yoseob was okay, he drove off to meet Hyuseung, in a good mood. Maybe things were going to get better for Yoseob, and all the things tht he had suffered would be replaced with good luck now. He hoped so.

 

-

 

A week later...

 

For the fourth time,  Yoseob had tried out for a job and for the fourth time he had failed, been rejected. It was as if someone was deliberately not giving him any jobs. Yoseob sat down on the stairs of the door and sighed. It had been a week since he stopped working for Junhyung, and a week since he'd seen Junhyung. Junhyung didn't know where Yoseob 'lived', and he didn't have a cellphone which made visiting Yoseob impossible. Yoseob could have visited his resturant, but when Yoseob decided to stop working at his resturant, he realised that perhaps disappearing altogether from Junhyung's life would be better for Junhyung. And so he had.

 

Yoseob looked inside his wallet, only to find a few dollars. Almost all his money was gone, and if he didn't get a job soon he was going to starve. Tired, he buried his head into his arms when he heard something drop. Looking up, he saw that someone's wallet was on the street. Some careless person had dropped it without realising. Picking it up, Yoseob looked inside to see a picture of a woman in her early thirties. He looked around, trying to find someone who looked like that woman. He couldn't find her anywhere, and Yoseob wondered what he should do with the wallet. Should he hand it in to the police, or just leave it? Suddenly, he heard a shout behind him. He turned around to see the wallet owner angrily shouting, pointing her finger at him.

 

"That's it, officer! That's my wallet the young man's holding!"

 

A/N: Sorry about the slow start... I wanted the first chapter to show how Yoseob's typical day kind of was, and his personality. In the next chapter I'll be introducing other Beast members and hopefully the story plot will start to show... Look forward to it!