stop pretending

Brothers after Death

Just when I thought things were bad enough at home.

Was his goal in life to make mine miserable? It was burdensome enough to have him as a measuring scale beside anything I did whether I tried hard or didn't. It was really hard already at home and now he had casually flipped my life in school inside out, leaving me vulnerable and exposed. I hated how he could affect my life so much just by doing something so simple as to utter my name. I couldn't do anything right anymore without being put down by people in school.

The questions were streaming in still but I was the target instead.

Why aren't your grades like Zico? Why haven't I seen you getting any awards like Zico always does? Why don't you talk about Zico more? Don't you hang out with Zico in school? Have you always been so quiet? 

I remembered that at some point of time I had wanted people to reach out to me, talk to me, make friends with me but I hadn't wanted something like this. They still couldn't be considered friends, rather enemies that were tearing me part bit by bit whether they were aware or not. Their questions didn't hurt much standing alone, but when they came together, it felt like a bunch of needles pricking through my skin. The discomfort was unbearable and I wanted so much for school to go back to the way it was before he screwed it all up for me.

I grabbed a pack of chips from the cafeteria before squirming my way through the crowd, making my way towards a quiet corner in the cafetaria. Before I could though, I was stopped short in my way by a hand that had shot out all of a sudden.

"Hey Junhong, want to join us? I haven't seen you around school much huh? Let me introduce you to my friends!" Zico said as I looked down at his detestful face. By his side sat his group of wonderful popular friends as always, happy and carefree he could be. But I couldn't. Because of him I couldn't do anything right now and he still had the face too ask me to sit with him and eat? Honestly I couldn't understand him. I stared right at him for a moment or so and turned away. 

Mino spoke up before I was out of earshot,"What kind of younger brother just ignores his brother like that you should really talk some sense into him really." I slowed down a bit hearing that and caught what Zico replied,"I don't think he meant to. Maybe he's just shy around you guys?" Hearing that I scoffed and stalked off.

Who was he trying to fool? I'm shy around them? I despised him more than ever. Who was he to randomly pull and push me around as he pleased.