confessions that killed it

Brothers after Death

I was seething as I glared at him across the room.

"I know honestly that we aren't the best of brothers and it kind of hurts me because I feel bad that I haven't done anything about it. Sorry," he muttered, eyebrows furrowed as he checked my expression. When he finally realized I wasn't going to give a response, he continued, "I didn't know what to do you know. You always seemed so far and distant and I just couldn't find a way to reach out to you. I missed you really, this three years that I haven't been back." 

I honestly had know idea why I put myself through all that crap but for some reason it felt good to have a apology, no matter how insincere it probably was.

"I must have been a really bad elder brother huh? Leaving and coming as I like. I didn't get to say a proper goodbye before I left too," he whispered forlornly. What rights did he have to be sad though? He had inflicted so much more pain on me.

"I have so many things I want to say and so many things I want so apologize for but I don't know what to start with. I haven't been much of a part in your life and I regret not trying harder to be a better brother. Now I really want to know, how have you been these past years?" he asked. Why did he have to ask that one question. I shouldn't have listened to what he had to say. I should have ran away the moment he came and stood before me. I should have stopped him the moment he had started speaking.

I should have but I didn't. I lost it the moment he asked that damn question.

I stepped forward and pulled him up by his collar. My breathing was ragged and erratic. I couldn't seem to calm myself down no matter how hard I tried. The anger and resentment. The disappointment and unhappiness. The unbearable moments that I had pressed down and kept hidden away for years surfaced for the first time and it was hard for me to keep it in anymore. Or maybe it was because I didn't want to.

I wanted to let him know what he had put me through all these years.