09 New Pack

To Be Loved

Tao walked wide-eyed into the apartment building. It was one of the huge buildings that looked like an office building which Tao passed every day on his way to school. No one ever really went in and out; only very rarely would anyone enter the black doors. Any hybrid or wolf could tell that it was a territory from smell alone, but many humans had ridiculous rumors about the building.

He followed a group of wolves, about half the pack, into the elevator, and watched them click the buttons for the top 8 floors. Kyuhyun wiggled around inside the elevator until he was next to Tao. He smiled at the visibly nervous omega as Tao wiped his palms on his pants.

The elevator continued to rise, making its first stop at the 25th floor. Kyuhyun grabbed Tao’s hand and pulled him out on the third stop, the 27th floor, also grabbing the hand of another wolf who Tao couldn’t remember the name of exactly.

“This is mine and Sungminnie’s floor.” Kyuhyun smiled, tugging Tao through the hall. Tao glanced to the other wolf, Sungmin, and took a silent sniff. A beta.

“Each couple gets their own floor. Leeteuk and Kangin are on the top floor. They’re both alphas, but they’re mates so it’s not a big deal. Hangeng and Heechul are below them, then Siwon and Kibum, then Eunhyuk and Donghae, then Zhoumi and Henry, then us, and below us are Yesung and Ryeowook, then Shindong and Nari.” Kyuhyun talked at a mile a minute, something Tao knew he would have to get used to.

Tao had a million questions running through head, but not enough brashness to speak any of them. Sungmin glanced at him, eyes scanning the omega.

“Kyu, slow down, you’re overwhelming him.” Sungmin spoke up, and Kyuhyun’s speech slid to a halt, along with his walking pace.

“Oh,” Kyuhyun glanced at Tao, who was wide-eyed. “I didn’t notice. Sorry Tao-tao.”

Tao blinked. “Tao-tao?”

Kyuhyun grinned. “It sounds cute. Don’t you think so, Sungminnie?” He asked, turning to Sungmin.

The beta shrugged. “I guess.”

“Oh! That reminds me,” Kyuhyun turned back to Tao, who tilted his head, “what’s your full name?”

“You invited him into our house without knowing his full name?” Sungmin questioned his mate incredulously.

“Yes, I did.” Kyuhyun affirmed, “So what is it?”

Tao stared for a moment, bewildered. “Huang Zitao.”

“Alright then, Huang Zitao,” Kyuhyun smiled, “welcome to the SuJu headquarters! If you up you’ll get kicked out, maybe killed, and I’ll be kicked out as well.” Kyuhyun said with a smile. Tao’s eyes widened in fear.

As Kyuhyun began to give a quick tour about the floor, Sungmin sidled up next to Tao. “You’ll be fine. Everyone knows where our headquarters is, but no one comes in... You’ll only be punished if you try to lead a surprise attack in here, and seeing how you have no pack, you’ll probably be fine.”

Sungmin slipped into the bedroom, Tao staring after him. Sungmin had seemed rude, but perhaps there was more to him than what was on the surface.

“Hey!” Kyuhyun snapped his fingers in front of Tao’s face. “That’s another rule. My mate, you’re not allowed to fall in love with him.”

Tao stared at Kyuhyun, confused before realizing that the other omega was entirely serious. Tao cracked a tiny smile. “I’m not lusting after your mate. What kind of idiot would I be?”

“The type that would get kicked out of our pack.” Kyuhyun joked, and Tao chuckled as they kept moving. “I heard what Sungminnie said, just wanted to get the point across.”

“Don’t worry, I’m probably never going to have a mate, so...” Tao trailed off and shrugged.

“All the more reason for me to worry!” Kyuhyun joked. “What if you throw yourself onto my man because you just can’t take it anymore and if you don’t make babies with him you’ll just die!”

Tao laughed, his eyes turning into crescents and his lips curving into a smile. Kyuhyun laughed with him, watching the younger boy.

“You should smile more often. You’re cuter that way.” Kyuhyun said, smiling softly. Tao’s smiled faded as he computed what the other had said.

“Awhhh, it’s gone!” Kyuhyun complained.

Sungmin poked his head out of their room. “What is?”

“Tao-tao smiled! But then he stopped.” Kyuhyun pouted, moving towards his mate and cuddling up to his side.

Sungmin glanced at Tao, who seemed entirely confused and shrugged. Pecking his distressed mate on the forehead, he wrapped Kyuhyun up in a hug. “Tao doesn’t have to smile all the time. I think you should lie down a bit before you strain yourself.” Kyuhyun nodded, and Sungmin exited the room as the door clicked shut behind the omega.

Sungmin looked to Tao. “Kyuhyun might be pregnant, but we haven’t gotten him tested yet.”

Tao nodded, understanding the other’s protective behavior. “For how long?”

“We don’t know.” Sungmin shrugged, then changed the subject. “You can take any room, there’s a pack meeting at 11 tonight, so you might want to get some rest.” The beta turned and started to go to into his room where his napping mate was.

“Oh, um, what should I do about my stuff? It’s all at my old apartment.” Tao asked.

Sungmin looked back and shrugged. “You can ask Leeteuk tonight. If anything, we just get you new stuff.” The door was closed before Tao could protest.

Unsure of what exactly had just happened, Tao decided to find a room to settle down in.


A/N: Ack this chapter is so short and all over the place...but hey I updated that's something at least! I'm working on the next chapter right now, so if I can crank that out by tonight there'll be another update possibly??

also HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY