Coffee Shop

Love Me If You Dare

Coffee Shop

 
 
 

"Ah, Min Hyuk Oppa is busy today as well," Ji Soo mumbled as she read the text from her father.

     What a boring day! she thought. I was hoping Oppa would have some free time today. Ugh...what to do?

     Since Ji Soo was bored out of her mind, she decided to search for something to do in the kitchen where Ji Min spends the majority of her day.

     "Umma, do you need help with anything?" she asked.

     "Nope, you will just get in the way," Ji Min replied without looking up from the potato she was peeling. "You must be extremely bored to come down here." She finished peeling the last potato from the bunch and began rinsing them in the sink. "Just do what you usually do."

     "And what's that?" Ji Soo wondered.

     "Sitting your on the couch while texting your friends," Ji Min said in a matter of fact tone. "You seem to be an expert at it."

     "Umma, all of my friends are out with their families or boyfriends," Ji Soo said desperately. "If I don't do anything, I'm going to explode. Let me peel the carrots or chop the cabbage for you. Do you really want me to explode?"

     "I can do everything, thanks, and if you're going to explode, do it outside."

     "Umma! Everyone is out doing their own thing, and then there's me. I have about three more months of vacation until school starts again, and what am I going to do? If someone doesn't text or call me within an hour, I think I might die from a severe case of boredom."

      

     Forty-five minutes later, Yong Hwa parked Yongie on the street and walked into the dorm. Ah, it's good to get a break after hours of creating beautiful music, he thought with a blissful smile. What should I do? Everyone is busy today...

     Lying down on the couch, Yong Hwa looked through the contacts in his cellphone. Who should I call...Seo Hyun? Nah. Shin Hye? Probably busy. Ji Soo?

     Surprised at having Ji Soo as a contact in his phone, Yong Hwa's hand slipped, dropping the phone on his face. Owww, he thought, rubbing his forehead. Ah..How did I drop the phone in the first place?! But..Should I call her?

     No, she's probably busy, thought Yong Hwa's doubtful side of his mind.

     Doing what? thought Yong Hwa's confident side.

     I don't know...chopping cabbage?

     No, I'll just give her a call.

     No, she could be extremely busy. What if you call her, and she gets mad? How will I ever regain her friendship?!

     What am I afraid of? I'll just press call....

     Before he could stop himself, Yong Hwa tapped the 'Call' button next to Ji Soo's number.

     "What am I doing?!" he blurted out. "I should just end it before she picks up--"

     Three seconds after he made the call, Ji Soo picked up her phone, desperate for anything to do besides watch her mother chop cabbage.

     "Yobosayo?!" she answered immediately. Whose number is this? Ugh. Maybe it's wrong number, she thought.

     "Ah...Uh..Hahaha. Ji Soo, I uh...I had something to ask you," Yong Hwa said, making up an excuse as he spoke. "Um..Do you enjoy chopping cabbage?"

     "Uh, who is this and how do you know my name? Is this a prank call? Because if it is, I will report you. I already have your number memorized, so admit it now before there are consequences," Ji Soo warned. 

     "Ji Soo! It's me..Do you not recognize my voice?" he asked. "Yobosayo? Yobosayo?? How dare you hang up on me!"

     She placed her phone on the counter."Psh. 'Do you not recognize my voice?' What a weirdo," she murmered. "He didn't even sound familiar, so how am I supposed to know?"

     "Who was it?" Ji Min asked. After quickly chopping the entire cabbage, she moved on to peeling and slicing the carrots.

     "Oh, it was just a prank caller," Ji Soo responded. She watched in awe as Ji Min's hand became a blur as she swifty peeled the carrot. "He probably won't call again, though. Did you hear how I threatened him?" 

     "Maybe it wasn't a prank caller," she said, not even slowing down as she spoke. "It sounded a lot like Yong Hwa."

     Finally, it struck Ji Soo that the caller sounded just like Yong Hwa. Oh no...and I hung up on him and threatened him! How will I ever regain his friendship?!

     "Umma, you have a good point," she agreed. "I'll call him back."

     Ji Soo entered the phone number that she memorized and waited for Yong Hwa to answer the call. 

     He smirked as he received a call back from Ji Soo. Ah, so she finally figured it out, he thought. It only took two minutes. He grinned and picked up the call.

     "Yong Hwa Oppa, is this you?" Ji Soo blurted as soon as he picked up the call.

     He beamed. "Yes, it's me. How dare you not recognize my voice? I am disappointed in you, Han Ji Soo," he said in a strict tone.

     "Oppa, I'm so sorry that I threatened you and hung up," she apologized. "Are you angry?"

     "Of course I am!" he lied. "I don't think I can even accept your apology."

     Ji Soo's mouth dropped open, and her heart beat quickened from the guilt she was feeling. "Oppa, I'll do anything right now. Please forgive me...please."

     "Hm...first, you must answer the question that I asked: Do you enjoy chopping cabbage?"

     "I've never chopped a cabbage before in my life, but I'd love to once my mother lets me," she replied. "What now?"

     Ji Min raised an eyebrow as she rinsed the carrots. What kind of conversation is that girl having?  she wondered.

     "Hm...Now, let's get lunch at the RE:BLUE coffe shop near my dorm," Yong Hwa said. "I have about an hour and a half until I go back to work. If you don't go, then don't expect me to forgive you."

     "I'll be there in half an hour," Ji Soo said. She ended the call, rushed into the bathroom and applied BB creme to her face and brushed her hair. (Luckily, it had no tangles that day). 

     She grabbed her wallet, keys, and phone and bolted out of the door to get to the car outside. Ji Soo hasn't driven a car since she passed her driving test, so she was the slowest car on the road. Maybe I'll get there in a little more than thirty minutes, she thought. 

     After thirty minutes of driving, Ji Soo still had about eight blocks to go until she reached the RE:BLUE coffee shop, so she decided to accelerate just a tad bit. Woah, no no, that's too fast, she thought.

     She slowed down to her original speed, much to the annoyance of the cars behind her. Finally, she pulled into a parking space outside of the coffee shop and fixed her eyes on Yong Hwa standing in front of the shop wearing sunglasses.

     Yong Hwa spotted Ji Soo and smiled with satisfaction. She came, he thought.

     "Ji Soo!" he called out. "Let's go. The food here is delicious."

     She locked her car and followed Yong Hwa into the shop, where the scent of coffee was superb. As she looked around, Ji Soo spotted portraits of beautiful latte art on the walls, electric blue Christmas light decorations, and little black tables where people were spending time drinking a cup of coffee. She also noticed how the black walls complimented the blue accents from the Christmas lights, and the music that was playing was extremely catchy.

     What a beautiful coffee shop, she thought. I should come here more often.

     "What would you like?" Yong Hwa asked. "I already know what I want, so I'll order for you too."

     Ji Soo was examining the menu, and since she's never been to the coffee shop, she wanted to try something that she really likes. "I'll have the lemon iced tea and a ham sandwich," she replied. 

     The stuff is so overpriced, she thought. Seven thousand won for a small iced tea and five thousand for a sandwich? Does that even make sense?

     Yong Hwa got up and walked towards the counter while Ji Soo took a seat at one of the tables. "Annyeonghaseyo, can I please have a small lemon iced tea, two ham sandwiches, and an iced Americano?"

     "No problem," the woman behind the counter said. She had long black hair, and her smile lit up the entire coffee shop. "It'll be twenty-four thousand won. You can pay after we get your order ready, so please wait a few minutes." 

     "Thank you," Yong Hwa said. He walked back to the black table where Ji Soo sat. "Have you ever been here?"

     "Nope," she replied. "The atmosphere is really nice, but the prices are ridiculous." 

     "That's true, but it's worth it. They use only the freshest ingredients, so it's really tasty. The service here is fast too."

     "Sir, your order is ready," the woman said. Yong Hwa got up to pick up the drinks and sandwiches. "That'll be twenty-four thousand won." He handed her the money and took the food. "Aw, how sweet. You're paying for your girlfriend."

     "Ah, thank you, but she's not my girlfriend," he said, feeling his cheeks turn a bright red. 

     Yong Hwa turned and walked towards the table holding their lunch. He placed the meal on the table and took a seat opposite from Ji Soo.

     "You should eat," he said. "The sandwiches here are amazing."

     Ji Soo reached for her sandwich and unwrapped it to uncover the perfect combination of bread, lettuce, tomato, and ham all stacked up to form the most beautiful lunch she's ever seen. Wow, she thought. Nobody would ever understand the elegance and...grandeur of this sandwich unless they saw it with their own eyes.

     She took a bite out of it instantly feeling invigorated and full of energy. Her taste buds danced as the flavors burst into , and as she swallowed, her stomach, mind, and soul begged for more.

     "Oppa," she said. "Is this normal?"

     "Hm? This is your first time eating the sandwich right?" he laughed. "If you're feeling remarkably energized and your body craves more after every bite, then yes, it's perfectly normal. Just wait until you take a sip from your drink. There's a reason why it costs more than the sandwich."

     Ji Soo averted her eyes, with difficulty, from the sandwich in her hands and took a look at the lemon iced tea sitting in front of her. If it's as amazing as Oppa says, I might turn into a monster.

     She carefully set her sandwich down and reached for her drink. As she brought it to her lips, she could already smell all of the crisp lemons used for one cup of the iced tea. I'll just take a small sip, she thought. 

     Ji Soo took a tiny sip, but before she knew it, she was chugging her drink without taking a breath until the last drop of tea dripped into . Yong Hwa could only watch in utter amusement as she downed the entire cup of tea in less than ten seconds. What a monster, he thought. 

     "Oppa, how do they do it?" she asked. "I don't think humans have the ability to make such pungent food, but I mean, is the chef a wizard?" 

     "Ji Soo, I'm sure the chef isn't a wizard," he chuckled. "Just eat your sandwich. I wanna watch you gobble it up."

     Yong Hwa enjoyed watching Ji Soo devour her entire sandwich while he only ate half of his. Taking a sip from his drink, he caught sight of Ji Soo staring hungrily at the uneaten half of his sandwich.

     "Hey," she said, "can I have--"

     "No," he cut her off. "You always ask to share. I'm not gonna give you any."

     What a strong case of déjà vu, he thought.

     Ji Soo vigorously shook her head and punched her arm to free herself from the trance. "What am I saying? I was about to do the exact same thing that ended our friendship all those years ago! I regretted everything that I did that day because I lost the first friend that I ever had, so how was I stupid enough to almost make the same mistake?!"

     First friend? he thought with a contented smile.

     "Hey, Ji Soo, I'm still your friend after that happened, aren't I?" Yong Hwa said. "And I don't think that you're stupid at all, so you shouldn't either. Arasso?"

     "Arasso," she replied. "I don't think I apologized last time, so I'll say it now. I'm super super sorry about the time I traumatized you. I really am."

     "Wow, you're 'super super sorry?' I think that's the most sincere apology I've received from anyone," he joked. "I do forgive you for everything, but I think I overreacted and made an unnecessary promise to myself."

     "A promise? What was it?"

     "It doesn't matter anymore," Yong Hwa responded. "Don't worry about it."

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:I am currently working on another story, and school is coming up soon, so please be patient while I try my best to write a wonderful story for you all. :)