Lost Feeling

Love Me If You Dare

Lost Feeling

 
 
 

Jong Hyun took the elevator to the tenth floor of the building to have a talk with Sung Ho and Jun Hee regarding her daily lessons. He stepped out of the elevator and made his way down the hall towards Sung Ho's office. Jun Hee was already at the door, so she opened it to enter when she saw Jong Hyun in her peripheral vision. She glanced at him, and their eyes met for a second, but she didn't greet him, or smile, or hold the door for him. She walked into the office and closed the door behind her, leaving Jong Hyun in the hallway, staring at the closed door to the office.

     I did what was right, he thought. Right?

     He opened the door and stepped in.

     "Welcome, Jong Hyun," Sung Ho greeted. "Would you like some coffee or tea?"

     "It's fine, thank you," he replied. "Can we go straight to business? I'm getting on a program in an hour."

     "Arasso," Sung Ho said. "So, I noticed the tension between you two since the fire yesterday, and I was wondering if you'd want to continue the lessons, Jong Hyun, since it'd be uncomfortable for you. I can always ask someone from FT Island if they could help her."

     I should just let someone else teacher her, he thought. Sung Ho is right...It would be troublesome to continue teaching her.

     "Aniyo," Jong Hyun answered. "I'm her teacher, so she should only learn from where she left off by me. I don't care if it's going to be awkward. The important thing isn't how we feel. It's getting our jobs done, and I intend to finish what I started."

     Sung Ho was surprised at Jong Hyun's answer because he sounded so determined. "That's fine if you feel that way," he said. "Jun Hee, are you satisfied with his decision?"

     Jun Hee looked up for the first time since Jong Hyun walked in and nodded her head to show her agreement with the decision. 

     "Alright, then. Class will continue right after Jong Hyun's done with the program. You guys can go now," Sung Ho dismissed.

     Jun Hee stood up and quickly walked out into the hallway to avoid any confrontation. Jong Hyun rushed to catch up with her before she reached elevators, so he grabbed her hand to stop her from walking away. She stopped and stared at the ground, waiting for what Jong Hyun had to say. I can't look at his face, she thought. I can't...

     "Jun Hee, look at me when I speak to you," Jong Hyun said.

     "Andwae," she replied. "Say what you want and let me leave."

     Is she in love with the ground? he thought. 

     Jong Hyun squatted down on the floor and looked up at Jun Hee's face, but she averted her eyes from his. 

     "Why...Why do you want to want to teach me?" she asked.

     "Because when you debut, I don't want you to hate me and say things behind my back," he joked.

     "I'm just kidding," he said when Jun Hee scowled. "I'm not going to give up because you hate me, and I'm not going to give up if I break my legs either. I'm going to do my job, and I'm going to do it the best I can."

     "Gamsahamnida," she said, "but I don't deserve you as my teacher. I can't help but hate you for carrying me out yesterday when I was about to save Bbanini. Sung Ho told me that not everything survived in the practice room, and Bbanini was one of those things."

     "I'm really sorry, but I can't look at you in the eye, and I quiver with anger when I hear your voice," she admitted. "I'll endure for the rest of the week, but after that, I don't want anything to do with you. Joesonghamnida, but I'll be leaving now." 

     She pressed the elevator button and entered as soon as it arrived. Jong Hyun dropped onto the floor from his squat and watched as the elevator doors closed and descended, taking Jun Hee along with it.

 

     Ji Soo woke up at noon and groggily walked to the bathroom. With her eyes still closed, she quickly brushed her teeth and moved on to washing her face with her cleanser. I'm so glad I don't have to go anywhere today, she thought while massaging her face. The past few days were so exhausting.

     After she rinsed off the cleanser, Ji Soo started brushing out the hundreds of tangles from her hair.

     "Owwww!!" she cried. "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow." Ji Soo continued to cry out with pain for every lock of hair she brushed out. Her mother entered the bathroom, wondering why in the world her daughter was yelping with regular intervals.

     "Ji Soo, what are you doing? I can hear you all the way from the kitchen," she scolded. Ji Min's eyes darted from the hairy brush in her daughter's hands to the tangled wreck on her daughter's head. She sighed and shook her head in disapproval. "If you're going to brush your hair, then at least do it quietly. You're twenty-two years old, so stop whining like a child unless you want me to brush your hair for you."

     "Will you?" she asked.

     "What?" Ji Min said. "You're kidding, right?" She's got to be kidding, she thought.

     "Umma, it's less painful when you do it," Ji Soo admitted. She held the brush in front of her so that her mother could take it. Ji Min uncrossed her arms and snatched the hair brush to start brushing out the labyrinth that Ji Soo called hair.

     "I still don't know why I'm doing this," she said. "It's not like you're seven." Nevertheless, Ji Min continued to straighten Ji Soo's hair, so she took the opportunity to ask her a question.

     "Are you planning on getting rid of all the stuff that Yu Han gave you?" Ji Min asked. "Because reading the notes he sent you on the wall makes me cringe."

     Ji Soo never really thought of getting rid of the presents that Yu Han gave her since she never got the chance to since the break up. Now that her mother mentioned it, she had five years' worth of trash to throw out. "I'll toss it out today. Min Hyuk Oppa is busy today, so I'll see him tomorrow instead," Ji Soo answered.

     "There," Ji Min said. "Your hair is finally unknotted."

     "Gomawo, Umma!" Ji Soo said. She leaned into her mother's face and planted a kiss on her cheek before she ran off to clean out her room.

     Ji Soo stood in the center of her bedroom and pondered on what she should dump out first. The pictures, the notes, the gifts, the flowers. They're all gonna go, she thought. I'll start with the notes on the wall. 

     Ji Soo read some of the notes before she tore them off her wall. "'Saranghae?'" she read. "'I'll never love anyone else?' What is this? He should be an actor since he fooled me with this nonsense for five years." Using her long, sharp nails, she clawed all of the sticky notes, birthday and holiday cards, and all of the letters Yu Han ever sent her off the wall. 

     "My next victim...," she mumbled. Ji Soo looked around her room and set her eyes on the pictures in the frames hung on the opposite wall. She walked over to the frames and admired them: one with her and Yu Han, another with her and Yu Han, and the last one with her and her parents. Ji Soo smirked and let out a chuckle.

     She remembered when Ji Min told her that she wasn't allowed to see Yu Han, so she put up the pictures and notes to show her mother that she was, indeed going to date Yu Han. That day was a painful day for Ji Soo.

     Ji Soo snuck her fingers into the frame and removed the photo of her and Yu Han. This is a really good photo of me, she thought. It'd be a waste to just throw it away...

      She carefully ripped the photo and crumbled the half with Yu Han in it, and she threw it into the pile of notes on the ground. Ji Soo placed the photo of her back into the frame and did the same to the other photo. She stepped back to marvel at her improved photo frames and smiled with satisfaction.

     Ji Soo moved on to getting rid of any other traces of Yu Han from her room, so she seized her stuffed teddy bear on her bed and sent it flying without hesitation to the pile of discarded material.

     "What else?" she murmered. "Ah...mix tapes, albums, jewelry, make up, clothes, books. They're all going to go." After about an hour of sifting, tossing, and cursing, Ji Soo was sure she removed all of the Yu Han related items from her room. I'm sure I'm missing something, she thought.

     She opened up one of the drawers of her dresser and emptied it out. All these clothes I bought to impress Yu Han...What a waste, she thought. She dumped all of the clothes into a seperate pile for charity. While she was removing her clothes, Ji Soo discovered something that she hid from her mother a long time ago: a mini treasure chest. 

     She remembered where she sheltered the key and hurried to the picture of her and her parents on the wall. She snuck her fingers in the frame and retrieved the key that was hidden in the corner. Ji Soo stuck it in the keyhole and turned it to open the treasure chest filled with the trinkets that Yu Han gave her: a button, a keychain, a photo, and a letter.

     Dear Ji Soo,

          Annyeong. Happy First Anniversary!! I can't belive it's already been one year since we've been together. Do you remember your sleeve button that fell off when we played Wii Boxing? I'm laughing hysterically just writing about it. My character couldn't even throw a punch since you were jabbing me like a maniac. I found your button while cleaning my room, so here it is.

          Anyways, I was shopping at the market the other day and this keychain reminded me of you because you're just like a bear--tough and menacing yet adorable and charming in its own way. Please use it well. Also, this is a photo that we took at school last week when we were waiting for our parents to pick us up. You can see your furious mother in the background, but even so, this picture of us is my favorite.

          Thank you, Han Ji Soo, for an amazing first year, and thank you in advance for the wonderful years to come. I love you.

                                                            Love,

                                                         Yu Han

     He is ridiculous, she thought. I can't believe that I fell for it. Ji Soo flung the treasure chest, along with its contents, into the pile and observed her work. Ji Min walked in and almost had a heart attack by looking at all the junk on the floor.

     "Umma! What should I do with all this stuff?" she asked. "I'm gonna give the clothes away, so I should just throw all the notes and gifts out right?"

     Ji Min gave her daughter one of her signature evil grins. "Ji Soo, if you really want him to feel bad for what he did to you, then give all the stuff back to him. Make him feel so guilty that he can't sleep at night. Wait, let me get you a box from the garage." 

     Ji Min helped Ji Soo stack everything neatly into the box, and once they were done, it was time to make a trip to Yu Han's house. Ji Soo sat in the passenger seat of the car, her heart beating quicker every minute that went by. Ji Min stopped the car in front of Yu Han's house, so Ji Soo slowly opened the door and stepped out. I can't belive I'm doing this, she thought.

     "Ji Soo! Make him regret everything," Ji Min added. "Make him feel like the most horrible person in the world."

     Ji Soo ignored her mother's remarks and walked up to the front door with confidence. She rang the doorbell, and Yu Han opened the door five seconds later, which made her jump in surprise. She remembered why she was here and hastily regained her poise. "I came to give these back to you," she said. "I have no intention of keeping these things, and I expect you do the same to the stuff I gifted you."

     Yu Han was surprised at Ji Soo's sudden demands, so he was at a loss for words. She held the box out for him, so he accepted it and looked inside. She kept all of this?! he thought. I don't even remember giving her this much stuff.

     "Ji Soo, I don't know what to say. Why did you keep all of this?" Ji Soo crossed her arms and scowled, but she stared daggers into Yu Han's eyes.

     "I kept it because I loved you," she replied. "I'm giving it back because I lost the feeling, so you should do the same." Ji Soo turned and strutted onto the sidewalk and into the car where Ji Min drove her back home. Did I end it too quickly? she thought. He looked like he had something to say..Who cares what he had to say??!

     Yu Han watched as their car drove away and looked into the box. But Ji Soo, I want to keep the stuff you gave me because...I never lost the feeling.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: