Introduction

Love Me If You Dare

Ten Years Prior

 
 
 

"Oppa!" Ji Soo called out.

     Yong Hwa looked out the window of his house to see who called him and blushed. He liked it when Ji Soo called him "Oppa."

     "What is it, Ji Soo?" he shouted back at her.

     "Hurry up," Ji Soo said. "The ice cream truck is going to leave soon!" 

     Yong Hwa laughed and ran out the door to meet Ji Soo outside. 

     "Kaja," he said.

      They ran towards the ice cream truck together, but Ji Soo was falling behind, and the distance between them grew farther and farther apart. Yong Hwa looked over his shoulder and saw that she was struggling to catch up to him. This won't do, he thought with a mischievious grin.

     He stopped running and waited for Ji Soo to catch up. It took a while, but the moment he heard her footstep beside him, he grabbed her hand and began to run, dragging her along with him. When they reached the ice cream truck, Ji Soo was panting heavily, and Yong Hwa was smiling triumphantly. Once Ji Soo caught her breath, they ordered their treats and began walking back to their homes. 

     Ji Soo smiled and went on her tip toes to ruffle Yong Hwa's hair.

     "Hey," Yong Hwa said, startled. "Don't do that."

     She laughed. He's such a little drama queen.

     "It's not funny, Ji Soo. If you keep doing that, I'm going to begin losing hair when I turn twenty-five."

     Ji Soo raised an eyebrow at him. He's really weird, she thought, but it was nice of him to help me out back there.  They continued walking. Ji Soo quickly devoured her strawberry popsicle and watched hungrily as Yong Hwa ate his vanilla ice cream. 

     "Hey," she said. "Can I have--"

     "No," Yong Hwa cut her off. "You always ask to share. I'm not going to give you any."

     Ji Soo pouted, but Yong Hwa looked like he was thoroughly enjoying his ice cream. She watched as he scooped up the perfect amount of ice cream from the cup. She observed how he brought the spoon to his mouth and closed it, only to take out the empty spoon. And she examined this cycle of Yong Hwa devouring his ice cream until she could take it no more. After he scooped up ice cream from the cup, Ji Soo snatched the spoon handle and shoved the ice cream into her own mouth.

     Yong Hwa could only watch with horror as his spoon went into somebody else's mouth. She took out the spoon from and put it back into the cup, which disgusted Yong Hwa even more. This girl...is she insane?! 

     "How could you have done that?! Do you know how unsanitary that was? I didn't know you were so filthy and ill-mannered," he spat at her. "This spoon went into my mouth, and it's only supposed to enter my mouth. How could somebody be so thoughtless and greedy to the point where they ruin someone else's entire night, with just one swift movement? This is ridiculous."

     All Ji Soo could do was shrink as Yong Hwa ranted about how awful she was. When he was finished, he began to fan himself, and they proceeded walked back to their houses in silence. I didn't know Oppa was such a primadonna. He was about to finish his ice cream anyway. Is he emotionally challenged?

     Why did I ever like Ji Soo? She's so...filthy, Yong Hwa thought.

     They arrived at Ji Soo's house, so they said their goodbyes in front of the entrance.

     "I'll see you tomorrow," Ji Soo said weakly.

     Yong Hwa grunted and turned around to leave. He crossed the lawn to get to the sidewalk, but he stepped in a mud puddle and screamed in terror. Ji Soo opened the door and was about to walk into her house, but she looked behind her shoulder and saw Yong Hwa step into her dog, Sagwa's, droppings.

     "Hey, Ji Soo, what is this? It's mud, right?" he asked suspiciously.

     Please tell me it's mud, he thought.

     "That's not mud," Ji Soo said in despair. 

     Why am I only making his day worse? she thought.

     It took a moment for Yong Hwa to figure out what it  was. If it's not mud then...his mind wandered off as soon as he heard Sagwa bark behind the gate. He took a deep breath, but when he smelled the scent of waste, he knew exactly that he just stepped into something way worse than mud. 

     He walked away without a word. 

     Why did I ever like such a girl like Han Ji Soo? She only causes trouble, and I am not going to be the one to deal with it in the future. Even if I'm forced to like her, I won't be able to, and I never will, he vowed.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: