Encounter Nine

Her Boyish Encounters

JIYONG

 

I can’t stop smiling as we went on with our tasks. I can sense her glancing at me every now and then, probably thinking I’ve lost my mind because aside from the smile, I can’t help chuckling every now and then as well. Ah, but she’s so cute and adorable. It was refreshing to encounter someone like her. A breath of fresh air. I’ll definitely make sure to stay around her.

 

I suddenly took a step back when the girl appeared in front of me looking very concerned. “Are you okay?” she asked, placing the back of her hand in my forehead.

 

“Yes, why?”

 

“Why do you keep on smiling and chuckling? It’s bothering me.”

 

I lowered my face and leveled it with hers. I can’t help but notice that this was becoming a habit of mine when I’m with her. I don’t know why but I enjoy watching how her face gets flustered and how she steps back and looks at me with wide eyes every time I do it just like how she’s reacting exactly as I expected her to be right now. “Worried?”

 

“You’re my friend, of course I’d be worried.”

 

Her answer took me by surprise. I don’t even know why and it seemed to happen a lot these days - me not knowing why I’m reacting the way I do when I’m with her. She looked genuinely worried though. I wanted to smile but I didn’t. Instead, I sighed dramatically. “Friend?” I asked. “Ah. . . and I thought she was already falling for me.”

 

Her concerned look changed into a glare in a snap that I had the urge to laugh. “Shut it,” she said, hitting my head with her hand.

 

“Ah, why do you like hitting me so much?”

 

“If you’ll stop teasing me, I’ll stop as well.”

 

“I think you’re just doing that so you can touch me.”

 

She stared at me as if I just came from another planet and was speaking a language she couldn’t understand. She went to wrap her hands around my neck and mock-strangled me.  “I said stop it or else I’ll strangle you to death.”

 

“What are you two doing?”

 

Dara stopped mock-strangling me and immediately stepped back from me as she faced the door. Suzy was standing at the door watching us. “W-we. . . we w-were. . . I was just. . .” Dara started, stammering.

 

With a sigh, I gave Suzy a look. “We’re on detention.”

 

Her eyes then went to Dara. “I was waiting for you at the gates and I wondered where you were when I didn’t see you come out.”

 

Dara stepped forward in a haste that she tripped on her own feet. I managed to catch her in time before she falls face flat on the floor and embarrass herself in front of Suzy. “Try to be more careful, will you?” I scolded as I righted her up. She didn’t even look at me or thank me as she pushed herself away from me and went straight to Suzy.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to make you wait. . . I’m on detention with Kwon Jiyong so I’m. . . but. . . why were you waiting for me?”

 

Suzy shrugged. “I thought you said you’re going to skateboard practice after class. I wanna go and hang out.”

 

“I’m sorry, I forgot to tell you a while ago I’m on detention. I’m going there after this.”

 

“I’m pretty sure Kwon Jiyong could do it by himself.”

 

“Well, I. . . “

 

“Go ahead, Dee. I can manage on my own.”

 

She looked back so quickly I swear I heard her neck crack. She was frowning at me and I wasn’t really sure if she’s being suspicious of curious. She stayed like that for a while before Suzy got her attention. She looked hesitant at first but then she turned to me with an apologetic look on her face. “I’ll make it up to you next time, okay?”

 

“Great!” Suzy cheered, clapping her hands as she linked her arm with Dara and started pulling her out with her. The sly fox looked back one more time and gave me a wink.

 

I almost rolled my eyes. Suzy’s pretty and her slyness used to attract me, especially when she winks but it no longer have the same effect on me as it used to. My eyes went back to Sandara Park who was smiling from ear to ear and looked as if she wants to skip and bounce as she went ahead her way.

 

“Look at that,” I mumbled to myself. “I thought she was going to at least play hard to get and be all selfless. I expected her to at least argue with me and resist in going but she just went ahead as I told her. Ah, she’s unbelievable.”

 

I pulled out my phone and browse through my playlists. After choosing one, I went to finish my work. Alone.

 

But I wanted to see her skateboarding again. The first time I went to watch her, I lost my temper when she almost got into an accident. At that time, I thought skateboarding was not a safe hobby for someone like her. But now that I remembered how she looked so free and happy while doing it, I wanted to see her with that expression again.

 

 

 

 

“I’m home!” I called out the moment I reached home.

 

“I’m in the kitchen!” I heard Yeri called back. “Do you want something to eat?”

 

“No, I’ll take a nap first! Just wake me up for dinner.”

 

“Okay! Have a sweet dream, baby boy! Dream of Sandara Park!”

 

I shook my head as I went to my room. I dropped my bag to the floor and went to climb the bed. I exhaled loudly the moment my back hit the mattress. I feel so tired. I’ll definitely make sure Sandara Park will work extra next time.

 

I closed my eyes and was about to go to sleep when I heard my phone ringing. I ignored it and tried to get to sleep but when it kept on ringing, I lazily reached out for it and answered without looking at the caller ID. “What?” I grunted.

 

“Kwon Jiyong. . .”

 

I opened my eyes and sat up straight away. “Traitor,” I told her.

 

“Where are you?”

 

“In my room, resting. Ah, I feel like I’ve worked all of my muscles today.”

 

“I’m sorry I had to leave earlier, I must have been out of my mind but thank you for letting me go earlier.”

 

I could just hear the smile in her voice. I went to lie down again. “Are you that happy?” I asked. I guess she was just trying to hold herself a while ago because she suddenly started laughing and giggling out loud and launched into telling me what happened. But nothing really happened. I would not call that a date. From her story, it seemed like Suzy just sat there watching them and clapping. “I’m glad that you’re happy but did you call me because you have nobody else to share your happiness? Ah, I’m hurt,” I told her and ended the call. My phone started ringing again but I ignored it and chuckled.

 

When it stopped ringing, I reached out for it and placed it on Silent mode. I was just about to set it on my side when it started blinking again and showed Dara was calling me. With a satisfied smile, I placed it under my pillow and closed my eyes. I’m not claiming to fully know her but based from my observations, she’s the type of person who won’t sit calmly about this. She’ll end up going here again to apologize. And I eventually fell asleep.

 

 

“Jiyong. . .” a voice came into my senses while I felt being shaken gently.

 

“Hmm,” I grunted. “I’ll eat later, I want to sleep more. You go eat without me Yeri,” I said, thinking it was Yeri waking me up for dinner. “I feel a bit tired.”

 

“Do you want a massage?”

 

I slowly opened my eyes when I realized it wasn’t Yeri’s voice. All thoughts of sleep left me then. I looked up and saw Sandara Park looking down at me. I smiled to myself. I knew it! Ha! I knew she’d come. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Your mother let me in.”

 

I can’t help but chuckle. “I bet she did,” I said, sitting up. “Did you eat already?”

 

“Not much,” she said. “I got distracted watching Suzy eat.”

 

That made me laugh. “You watched her eat? That girl barely eats anything in fear of ruining her figure.”

 

“She did eat salad, though.”

 

“Eat with us.”

 

She bit her lower lip. “I’m really sorry.”

 

I watched her for a few seconds. Well, she did look genuinely sorry. I should give in. . .  but no, I don’t want to. I sighed heavily and looked away. “My whole body aches.”

 

“I’ll give you a massage!” she suddenly said.

 

“I don’t think it’ll just go away like that.”

 

“I’ll give you massage until it goes away!” she offered.

 

I turned my eyes back to her. I was fighting off a smile and was glad I’ve managed to keep a poker face. “You would?” I asked.

 

“Yes, and I’ll let you off for tomorrow’s detention.”

 

“I’ll think about it after dinner,” I told her after a few seconds.

 

“Hey, Kwon Jiyong! Forgive me already!”

 

“She said she sees me as a friend but then she ditched me for a girl,” I mumbled to myself but loud enough for her to hear as I stood up and started heading towards the door.

 

“Kwon Jiyong!” she whined, stomping her feet as she followed me.

 

I turned around so fast that she bumped into me. “What did I say about being cute in front of me?”

 

“I’m not being cute!”

 

“Yes you are,” I informed her. “Stop it or else you’ll end up lying in my bed with me on top of you.”

 

She suddenly started hitting me everywhere. “ert! ert, ert, ert!”

 

“I was just joking!” I said as I dodged her flying hands.

 

“You’re a ert!”

 

I laughed and grabbed her wrists. “Why is your face so red? Are you actually imagining us in the bed?”

 

“ert!” she hissed as she started kicking me this time.

 

“Hey, hey. You seemed to have forgotten that my body still hasn’t recovered from all the work I did a while ago.”

 

She stopped kicking me and frowned. “Stop being a ert then.”

 

“You’re calling me a ert but you’re the one imagining things,” I accused her. Her face turned even redder which made her look extra adorable. Damn, but she’s so adorable. Unable to stop myself, I hugged her tight. “You’re so cute.”

 

“And you’re a ert!” she said. “Let go,” she demanded as she struggled to be free from my arms.

 

“Nope, not letting you go.”

 

“Don’t you feel awkward and uncomfortable at all?”

 

“No.”

 

“Well, it’s making me feel awkward and uncomfortable,” she said.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because we share the same preference. We’re on the same boat.”

 

“Girls hug each other too.”

 

“It’s different with boys,” she argued.

 

“Stubborn,” I mumbled.

 

“Awwww, look at you two being all cuddly. Don’t mind me, kids. I’ll just be a silent observer,” Yeri cooed.

 

Dara managed to free herself from my arms. “G-good evening,” she greeted and bowed.

 

“Why did you stop? Go on, keep on hugging each other.”

 

“It’s not what you think!” Dara said hotly. “We weren’t hugging. We were just. . . just. . .”

 

“You were just. . .?” Yeri prompted, a knowing look in her eyes.

 

I chuckled. If I let Yeri go on, she’ll definitely end up eating Dara alive. “Stop embarrassing her, Yeri.”

 

“I’m just asking a question,” Yeri said, pouting.

 

I placed my arm on Dara’s shoulder but she quickly shrugged it off. But I stubbornly grabbed her shoulder and started pulling her with me to the dining area. “Let’s eat.”

 

“Enjoy your meal together kids,” Yeri said.

 

“Aren’t you eating with us?” I asked.

 

“I already ate,” she informed me. “You two enjoy your time together.”

 

I watched her disappeared into her room. I glanced at Dara who was staring into where Yeri used to stand, dumbfounded. “Is your mother for real?”

 

“You’ll get used to it.”

 

“What do you mean by that?” she asked, looking at me.

 

I shrugged. “You’ll be coming here for the next couple of days to massage me, right?”

 

“Can I just do it during detention?” she asked. “I have practice after detention and sometimes we take longer than usual.”

 

“I’d rather be massaged while lying in my bed.”

 

“I might come late sometimes, though.”

 

“I’m fine with waiting.”

 

“It won’t be safe for me to go home too late and my mother won’t be fine with that.”

 

“I’ll call your mom and say you’ll sleep over if you came in too late,” I heard Yeri called from her room.

 

I laughed at the look on Dara’s face. I grabbed her hand and started pulling her with me to the dining area. I frowned a little when I noticed that the lights were off although I can see a dim light coming from the dining area. “You gotta be joking me,” I heard Dara say as we entered the dining area.

 

I would have said the same words if she didn’t say them first. The dining table was filled with candles and I just noticed the soft music playing in the background. So Yeri was busy all this time setting up a romantic dinner for us. No wonder she opted going to her room instead of joining us. I bet she’s dying to attack Dara with plans of getting the girl hook up with me. “I told you Yeri likes you.”

 

“She knows my preference, right?” Dara asked in a tone of disbelief.

 

“I don’t think she actually believed you,” I told her as I led her to her chair. I pulled the chair out and nodded for her to sit. She looked at me as if I have an incurable disease. “What?”

 

“Are you seriously being a gentleman to a boy right now?” she asked. “Look,” she said, showing me her arms. “I’m getting goose bumps! And why are you still holding my hand? Let go.”

 

I let her go. “If I didn’t know better, you’re actually enjoying it,” I said with a wink. I saw her about to retaliate but I pushed her down on the chair.

 

“I’m not really comfortable with this,” she said.

 

“Why not?” I asked. “What’s wrong with eating dinner with candles?”

 

She gave me a look. “You know exactly what’s wrong with it.”

 

I sighed. “Fine,” I nodded and went to turn on the lights. After that, I went to blow the candles out. “Happy now?” I asked and it came out a bit strongly than I intended.

 

“Are you actually angry?”

 

“No,” I answered dismissively.

 

“You are.”

 

“No, I am not. Let’s just eat.”

 

We ate in silence. I could sense she wanted to talk or say something but seemed to have thought better of it. I let the silence enveloped us and stubbornly refused to say anything. When we were done, I saw her stood up and started gathering the plates. “I’ll wash the dishes,” she mumbled.

 

“No, I’ll take care of it. You can go home.”

 

“But. . .”

 

“Go home, it’s getting late.”

 

“The massage. . .”

 

“I’ll let you off tonight,” I told her. “Just do it next time.”

 

I refused to meet her eyes. I didn’t glance her way. “You’re angry,” she said.

 

“No, I’m not.”

 

“Then why are you being dismissive?” she asked.

 

“I’m not being dismissive,” I told her, getting pissed. “I’m just tired.” It was hard to explain but I feel so pissed right now it wasn’t even rational anymore. I didn’t want to lash out on her but for some reason, I also wanted to do just that. It was a weird feeling. After gathering everything up and putting them on the sink, I turned to face her after since I sensed she followed me. “Do I have to see you to the door or the gate?”

 

She looked affronted. “No, you don’t have to,” she quietly answered.

 

“Good,” I nodded and turned my back on her to get to the dishes.

 

“I’ll go ahead then,” she said.

 

I chose not to answer and decided to focus on washing the dishes. When I heard the sound of the closing, I stopped what I was doing and sighed.

 

“What’s wrong with me?” I asked out loud.

 

“Yes, what’s wrong with you?” I heard Yeri behind me.

 

“I got pissed,” I answered without facing her.

 

“Why?”

 

“I don’t know,” I answered truthfully.

 

I heard her sigh. “It will take time, Jiyong. She needs time.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I grumpily said.

 

I felt her hugged me from behind. “Aww, my baby boy is falling in love.”

 

“I’m not falling in love,” I told her. “I’m just having fun.”

 

“You’re as stubborn as her,” she said, giggling. “This is fun!”

 

“I’m washing, Yeri. Let go.”

 

“I think you should go after her before you regret it later. I’ll take care of the dishes,” she told me.

 

“I didn’t do anything I’ll regret later on, Yeri. Go to sleep, I’ll deal with this.”

 

“Aww, you’re all grown up now. You’re even having heart problems now.”

 

I just shook my head instead of answering. She’ll just come up with something else to say and exchanging words with her won’t end if I give in to getting into it with her. She squeezed me a little before letting go and said she’ll go to sleep.

 

After I was done with the dishes, I decided to get some fresh air. The time I spent in washing didn’t cool me down. I still feel pissed for some reason. Feeling pissed without knowing the reason was making me annoyed as well. I stepped out of the door and stretched out. I looked up at the sky and when I saw it was filled with stars and did not look like it’s going to rain anytime soon, I started heading towards the gate. I’ll sit in the gutter and cool myself down, that was what I decided. But the moment I stepped out of the gate, I saw someone sitting at the side of the gutter. I stared at the person’s back for a very long time before it dawned on me that it was Sandara Park.

 

I went in front of her. “What are you doing?” I asked. “Why are you still here?” She looked up at me and didn’t say anything. “Are you planning to stay here all night long?”

 

“You’re angry at me, aren’t you?”

 

She sounded and looked hurt that it made me feel a bit better. “I’m not angry at you,” I told her. “But I admit I got pissed. I don’t even know why I got pissed.”

 

She was silent for a moment. “So. . . you’re not angry at me?”

 

She looked at me with expectant eyes and I can’t help but smile from her cuteness. Why is she so damn adorable and cute? It’s not fair. I placed my hand on top of her head and messed up with her hair. “Come, I’ll walk you home.”

 

She shook her head. “You don’t have to, it’s already late. And besides, I can take care of myself. I’m a tough guy,” she said, showing me her nonexistent bicep.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Everyone thinks you’re a boy but you’re a girl to me so I’ll walk you home whether you like it or not,” I told her and started walking away.

 

“Aren’t you going to tell your mother where you’re going?” she asked as she kept up to me.

 

“I think she knew you were outside.”

 

“Oh,” she mumbled. “Your mother’s a bit. . . eccentric.”

 

I laughed. “Eccentric? It’d be better if you just say weird.”

 

“You might get offended,” she mumbled.

 

“Yeri’s weird and it’s the truth so why would I get offended by it?”

 

“You have weird mood swings,” she said.

 

She got me there. “Sorry about that,” I admitted. “I keep on getting weird moods when I’m with you.”

 

“What does that mean?” she asked.

 

“You should be thankful I find you cute and adorable,” I told her, chuckling.

 

“Or else what?”

 

“Or you might have had a harder time to get me to talk to you again,” I said, facing her and started walking backwards.

 

She grimaced. “What are you, an old lady? Holding grudges?”

 

I clicked my tongue. “You owe me a lot now,” I informed her. “You owe me massages, you owe me a day off detention and now you owe me another one.”

 

“What’s the new one?” she asked, looking confused.

 

“Let’s see. . . “ I thoughtfully said. “What would have happened if I did not decide to go out and get some fresh air? You’d have ended up waiting all night long and would have slept on the street being bitten by mosquitoes and all.”

 

“I wouldn’t have waited that long, though.”

 

Her response made me pause for a moment. I cleared my throat. “You wouldn’t have had someone to talk to and walk with if I didn’t go out, though.”

 

“I’m used to walking alone,” she said. “So I only owe you two things.”

 

“You don’t play fair,” I accusingly told her.

 

“You’re the one who’s not playing fair.”

 

“So how long were you planning to stay outside?” I asked. “Don’t even attempt to lie, tell me the truth.” I watched move and utter incoherent words. “What?”

 

“Iwsplmngtstay”

 

“What?” I asked again, leaning my ear nearer to hear her better.

 

“Nothing.”

 

“No, you said something,” I insisted. She mumbled something incoherently again. “Seriously, why are you eating your words?”

 

“I was planning to stay!” she suddenly burst out, making me pause and stare at her.

 

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from smiling but my lower lip managed to escape the confinements of my teeth. I could just imagine how I’m smiling from ear to ear. “So you do owe me, huh?”

 

She glared at me and started mumbling under her breath as she stomped past by me. From being pissed to being ecstatic, that’s exactly how I felt right now. I started laughing really hard and it seemed to have made her steps quicker. “Go home!” she called out as her quick steps turned into a jog.

 

I ran after her, still laughing out loud. “Wait up.”

 

“Stop laughing!” she hissed the moment I caught up with her. “You’re too loud! You’re disturbing the neighborhood.”

 

“You’re being cute again,” I told her. “Do you want to be kissed right now?”

 

She stopped and stared at me for a moment before breaking into a sprint. I ran after her, still laughing. She was fast - must be because she was so tiny but I managed to catch up with her when we were nearing her house. Without looking back, she immediately went inside as if her life depended on it which only made me laugh even more. I watched as she closed the door behind her. I was about to turn around and leave when I saw the door opened again and her head peered through it. She looked hesitant for a moment. “Bye,” she called out and then closed the door.

 

“Oh, she’s seriously cute. I wanna keep her in my pocket,” I mumbled out loud. I stayed for a moment in my spot before deciding it’s time to go home.

 

I walked back home with a smile on my face.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I had a change of mind again, hahaha. This is not yet the mass updates I'm talking about. Mass updates will happen end of February, mwahahahaha