Encounter Twelve

Her Boyish Encounters
DARA
 
I asked you to be mine first.
 
He did what?
 
I asked you to be mine first. I asked you to be mine first. I asked you to be mine first. I asked you to be mine first. I asked you to be mine first. I asked you to be mine first. I asked you to be mine first. I ASKED YOU TO BE MINE FIRST.
 
“Argh!” I growled in frustration. I think I’m losing my mind. No, I think I’ve just lost it. His words were like mantra in my head - repeating themselves over and over again.
 
What did that mean?
 
Duh! A part of me mocked.
 
Well, I do know what the words literally meant but. . . .ugh! I don’t want to think about it.
 
I asked you to be mine first. 
 
Damn. Why won’t they leave me alone? Why won’t he just quit making fun of me though?
 
Having Kwon Jiyong know who I really am is like both a blessing and a curse. I didn’t expect it from him but I’m thankful he hasn’t told anyone about me but then the way he uses that knowledge to mock me or make fun of me is just. . . it’s just. . . well, I can’t say it reached or exceeded the limit because it hasn’t but he could seriously get very annoying.
 
Every time I get seriously annoyed, I always end up thinking that he’s keeping my secret a secret. What if I was found out by another person and that person chose to spill? I can’t really afford that. I don’t want to move again house and school again. I really want to stay this time. I’m starting to get tired of moving again and again. I want what other people have - I want long time friends. I want. . .
 
Guilt started to fill me. Friends? How dare I call them friends when I haven’t told anyone of who or what I really am? Does this mean I only have Jiyong as a friend?
 
Speaking of Jiyong. . . . I slapped my forehead with my palm when I remembered I’m supposed to clean the rooms with him. I turned around and started heading back towards school when my phone suddenly rang. Without checking the caller ID, I answered, panting a little. “Hello?”
 
“Hey. . .” Suzy’s familiar voice filled my ear, making me stop.
 
I blinked blankly up ahead of me. “H-hey. . .”
 
“It’s Suzy,” she said.
 
“S-suzy, hey. Ahm. . .”
 
“Are you busy?” she asked.
 
“No, not really.”
 
“Are you home already?”
 
“Uh. . . no, not yet.”
 
“I should have texted you a while ago. We could have walked home together.”
 
Together. Did she just say together? I pulled up every strand of courage I could before opening my mouth. “Maybe next time,” I said, feeling myself crumple in anticipation.
 
“Yeah, maybe next time.”
 
I can’t help but smile. “Are you home already?” I asked.
 
“Yeah, just arrived,” she answered. “Are you on your way to practice skate boarding again?”
 
“Uh no,” I answered, chuckling a little. “I’m on my way back to school. I’m supposed to clean rooms with Jiyong.”
 
“Jiyong? Kwon Jiyong?” she asked.
 
“Yes,” I answered, wondering if there’s any other Jiyong at school.
 
“Listen, are you actually free this weekend? We should hang out,” she suddenly said in one breath.
 
“What?”
 
“Cool, it’s a date then!”
 
“Wait, what?”
 
“See you this weekend! I gotta go, bye!”
 
Date?
 
Date?
 
DATE? Am I really going on a date with Suzy this weekend?
 
It took some time for it to sink in but when it did, I started doing a victory dance. I wanted to shout but I stopped myself although I can’t help but smile widely that it felt like my face was going to burst. I can’t contain my excitement that I ran to the school and looked for Jiyong to share this news.
 
“Ya! Kwon Jiyong!” I called out to an empty hall. I ran and searched every room for him. When I found him, I was so excited and eager to share the good news that I didn’t hesitate running into him and throwing myself at him, my arms going around his neck.
 
“Guess what!” I said out loud after pulling away from him. I didn’t wait for him to say anything. I didn’t even wait for him to open his mouth. I just went for it. “I’m going on a date with Suzy this weekend! Can you believe that? I’m so. . . this is it! She took me by surprise. She called me and we were just talking about some stuff when she suddenly asked if I was free this weekend and she said it so fast and in one breath that I wondered if I heard her right so I asked her what but then she just said it’s a date. I wondered again if I heard her right so I asked her again but then she said she gotta go.”
 
I took a deep breath and grinned at him excitedly. It’s a relief to have that off my chest. I just really needed to share my excitement with someone.
 
But when Jiyong just stared at me, my excitement started to die down. “Ahm. . . you’ve moved on from your break up with her, right?”
 
I bit my lower lip. I’ve watched Suzy and Jiyong for a while, even after their break up. I know Jiyong already moved although I wasn’t so sure with Suzy but maybe I was wrong. Maybe it’s the other way around. What else could be the reason of Jiyong’s blank stare right now?
 
“Jiyong?”
 
He went on with that blank stare at me for a very long time and I just there staring back at him as well, waiting - waiting for him to say something. Just when I thought we’ll just stare at each other endlessly, he broke eye contact and sighed heavily, making me frown.
 
“What was that for?” I asked but instead of answering me, he just ignored me and went about his task. I remained rooted to where I was standing, unsure of what to do or to feel. Maybe he hasn’t really gotten over Suzy yet. Maybe my observation was wrong. Maybe he’s just not showing his real feelings to the public. Maybe. .  .
 
Argh, this is so frustrating.
 
I felt myself move after some time. I started helping him clean the rooms although we did it in silence. I tried several times to start a conversation with him but it was as if I was talking to a wall. Every time I get close to him as well, he kept on moving away.
 
Is he pissed that Suzy’s finally moving on? Is he pissed that Suzy asked me out on a date? Is he going through a jealous fit? If he is, he should man up and tell me about it.
 
Wait, what if he tells Suzy about my secret? What if he’s so pissed and jealous that he’ll start telling everyone about my secret?
 
He won’t do that, would he?
 
I nibbled my lower lip as I worried over the matter. He doesn’t strike me as someone who’d do that but then again, I haven’t known him for that long and besides, he doesn’t owe me any favor or something to keep his mouth shut. What should I do? Should I confront him about it? Would I be able to convince him to keep it a secret for the rest of his life? I don’t think I could do that.
 
I’m just gonna have to face the consequences then.
 
But I don’t want to move again. Once my secret is revealed, we’ll have to move to another place again. I’m tired of it.
 
Jiyong kept his silence even after we finished cleaning the rooms. He walked ahead of me as well. I guess he’s really pissed. He usually walk beside me or get me in a head lock and - wait, why am I even thinking about this? If he wants to walk ahead of me, then fine.
 
I bowed my head and stared at my moving feet. “Aww,” I whined when I bumped into what I could tell was a human body. I looked up and saw Jiyong facing me, staring at me again.
 
“Stop pouting,” he said with a frown.
 
I didn’t even realize I was pouting until he pointed it out. I pulled my lips in and glared at him. “So you’re talking to me again?”
 
“Have you been to a date before?” he asked back instead of answering my question.
 
The question made me frown. “No,” I answered hesitantly, narrowing my eyes at him.
 
“Just as I thought,” he said, nodding and sighing wearily.
 
“What’s that for?” I asked, annoyed. I don’t know why his sigh is making me annoyed.
 
“You owe me one for this,” he mumbled.
 
“What?” I asked. “Owe you one for what?”
 
“I’m doing this as a favor,” he said.
 
“What favor?” I asked again, following him as he started walking ahead of me again.
 
“We’re going on a mock-date.”
 
I stopped in my tracks. A mock what? “I’m not going on a date with you!” I exclaimed.
 
“I never said it’s a real date. Don’t be delusional.”
 
I narrowed my eyes at him. I can’t help but feel suspicious. “How can I be so sure you’ll teach me the right things? Or bring me to the right places?”
 
He gave me a look which I could only interpret as weary. “Who am I again?” he asked.
 
“What?”
 
“Who am I?
 
“Kwon Jiyong,” I answered straight away. “What does that. . .”
 
“Exactly,” he said, as if I hit the jackpot. “I’m Kwon Jiyong.”
 
“So?” I asked, not getting him. He rolled his eyes at me. “See!” I exclaimed. “Even boys roll their eyes, not just me!”
 
“Listen first timer, it’s not in my nature to brag but since you’re too slow to get it or understand, I’ll tell you. I’m Kwon Jiyong,” he said, emphasizing his name.
 
“And?”
 
“I’ve dated majority of the population at school wearing skirts, including your Suzy. I know what I’m doing.”
 
That made me shut up. Well, he does have a point. But I can’t help but feel suspicious of this. Why would he suddenly want to help me? I crossed my arms. “What’s in it for you?” I asked.
 
“I told you, you owe me one. I’ll think of how you’ll repay me at a later time.”
 
“No thanks,” I told him straight away. “I think I could manage on my own.”
 
“You don’t really have a choice,” he said as he placed his arms around me and started pulling me with him.
 
“What are you doing?” I hissed as I tried to get him to let me go.
 
“Friends can do as much as this, stop fidgeting.”
 
“I’m not fidgeting!” I growled. “Let go!”
 
“Stop it or I’ll kiss you.”
 
“You wouldn’t dare!” I hissed.
 
“Did it before, can do it again.”
 
“You’re so annoying!”
 
“You think so?”
 
“Yessss!” I hissed again. Why do I keep on doing that? I don’t know.
 
“So you hate me?
 
“Yes!”
 
“That’s fine with me. Like what they said, the more you hate, the more you love.”
 
“Not gonna happen,” I told him with conviction.
 
He snorted. “Heard that a lot of times before. You can keep in fighting it but you’ll eventually fall for my charms.”
 
“Woooowwww!” I exclaimed in disbelief. “You’re unbelievable!”
 
“I know, right? I’m one of a kind,” he said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.
 
“Jiyong, seriously, it’s not going to happen.”
 
“Hmm-mm.”
 
Great. He doesn’t believe me. If he’s so determine to not believe me, I’m equally determined to make him believe me.
 
“Arcade?” I asked after we reached our first destination (with a lot of arguments on the way, well, it was pretty one-sided to be honest.)
 
“Suzy loves the arcade,” he told me, making me frown.
 
“No, she doesn’t.”
 
“Yes, she does.”
 
“She doesn’t.”
 
“She does,” he insisted.
 
“Even if she does, you can’t take a girl you’re dating to an arcade, it’s not romantic.”
 
He snorted. “So what’s your plan, bring her to the park and laze around? Or go to a picnic? That’s boring.”
 
“That’s not boring, it’s romantic.”
 
“Pfft. If you don’t want to bore Suzy, then bring her to a club.”
 
“A club?”
 
“Yep, she loves places like that.”
 
I glared at him. “I think you could go home now. Thanks for your offer but I’ll do it my way. You may know Suzy’s likes and dislikes better than I do since you dated her but I won’t bring her anywhere that isn’t me.”
 
“You won’t bring her anywhere that isn’t you?” he asked. “Are you going to tell her then? Are you going to tell her who you really are?”
 
I didn’t have an answer to that.
 
“Do you think she’ll still act the same towards you once she finds out about you?”
 
I don’t have an answer to that either.
 
“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” I told him. “But maybe she’ll eventually fall for me and accept me for who I am once I’ve shown her my sincerity.”
 
“How can you do that when you can’t even recognize mine?”
 
“Recognize your what?”
 
He looked away and shook his head. “I must be out of my mind,” he mumbled to himself.
 
“What does that mean?” I demanded.
 
“Stubborn female,” he mumbled.
 
“Don’t call me that!”
 
“If you want to go romantic, then let’s go romantic. Just don’t fall too hard for me.”
 
“It’ll never happen,” I told him, rolling my eyes.
 
“Eh, I don’t think so. I think you’re already on your way there.”
 
“You’re crazy,” I told him.
 
“Well, that’s what you do to me - drive me crazy,” he returned.
 
I wanted to snap something witty back but I found myself rendered speechless and I could feel my cheeks warming up. “I’m not blushing!” I blurted. What on earth am I doing? Did I just blurt that out? This is not happening to me. “I’m. . . it’s. . . it’s the weather!” I exclaimed. He smiled and I felt my entire body warming up. I think my cheeks went even redder. “What’s with that smile?” I snapped.
 
“What?” he asked innocently.
 
“Your smile!”
 
“What’s wrong with smiling?”
 
“I don’t like it!” I declared. “It’s as if. . . it’s as if you know something!”
 
“I do know something,” he went on, teasing me.
 
I cleared my throat. “W-well. . .” I stammered.
 
“Well?” he asked, taking a step forward. By instinct, I stepped backward and started stumbling backwards as I reached the edge of the stairs when his arms went around me to stop me from stumbling over. “I’d like to say be careful or you’ll fall down but then, I’m here to catch you anyways,” he finished with a wink.
 
I didn’t have anything witty to return for that either. I think my brain just malfunctioned from his cheesiness.
 
Regardless, I still ended up going with him on his so-called mock date. I’m not really sure you could call it a mock date as we mostly argued the entire time. Well, I’m not really sure you could call that arguing or bickering or teasing since I’m mostly robbed off of words with his cheesy pick up lines. He never mentioned once about the fact that my face was probably red the entire time. I’m pretty sure it’s not blushing, it’s more of turning red from annoyance.
 
I have to give it to him. He knows romantic places. I think he knows everything about dating. When he’s not teasing me or when we’re not bickering, he would tell me and show me things which, as much as I hate to admit, I found romantic. He walked me around giving me options and gave me the pros and cons of each place, he even gave me tips about places to go and not to go if I’m on a tight budget.
 
It didn’t also escape me that he could be a gentleman at times - not all the time. I still think he’s a jerk but I noticed it. I wasn’t sure if he was just being sneaky or he’s trying to hide it or what but just like the small gesture of grabbing my hand when we’re going downstairs and stuff like that or that instance where he had his arm at the small of my back when we were crossing the street.
 
Wait, what on earth am I thinking?
 
I take that back. No, he’s not being a gentleman, I think he’s just subtly giving me tips on how to act on a date. Yes, that’s it. He’s my friend, after all. He’s just showing me that that’s how I should be with Suzy without being too touchy or territorial.
 
Yes, that’s it. There’s no other logical explanation to his gestures.
 
There’s no other acceptable reason to it.
 
After scouting the area, he decided to bring me to a park near a river. “There’s a firework festival this weekend at nine in the evening,” he informed me.
 
“Really?” I asked. “How come I didn’t know that?”
 
“It was in the poster in the arcade,” he said.
 
“Oh,” I mumbled. “Well, we were arguing so I probably didn’t notice.”
 
“Nope, you were distracted.”
 
“Distracted, probably. You were being annoying.”
 
“This would be a nice spot for the firework festival,” he mumbled, changing the topic.
 
“Hmm. . .”
 
He then went silent. I kept my mouth shut. I don’t know why but it felt as if talking was not the appropriate thing to do at the moment. We sat there staring at the sky filled with stars reflected in the water.
 
I don’t know how long we sat there in silence. I just know that it was getting colder as I shivered from the gentle breeze blowing my way.
 
“Arms up,” he said, breaking the silence.
 
“What?”
 
“Arms up,” he repeated a bit impatiently. Not really sure what’s he up to, I still went ahead and raised my arms up. He then slipped on his hoodie on me that I just now noticed he had. “I think it’s time for you to go home.”
 
Don’t ask me why but for a second, I wanted to tell him I don’t want to go home yet. I wanted to tell him that I want to spend more time. . . spend more time. . . spend more time staring at the river. Yes, that’s what I want. I didn’t want to go yet but if I tell him that, he’ll think I’ve lost my mind so I just nodded. He held me by the elbow as I stood up. Don’t ask me why again but the moment he let my elbow go, my fists curled into tight balls.
 
We started heading home. Jiyong was silent and I started to get nervous. I prefer him being noisy and annoying. I don’t know why a silent Jiyong is making me nervous, it just does. “Are you tired?” I asked, breaking the silence. I feel like I’m going to do something really stupid if he’ll keep his silence like this.
 
“Not really,” he answered quietly.
 
“You’re just being. . .quiet,” I said and nibbled on my lower lip.
 
“Thinking. . .”
 
I smiled. “I didn’t know you could do that,” I joked but when he didn’t laugh or say or do anything so I took a chance to look at him. He was looking up ahead and he does look like he’s thinking of something. I searched for a coin in my pockets and when I found one, I stepped in front of him and showed him the coin. “A penny for your thought?” I grinned.
 
He looked at the coin then back at me, He did this twice before shaking his head and stepping to the side to avoid me and started walking again. “I don’t think you’ll like what’s in my head, at least not the idea of it.”
 
I jogged to keep up to him and stepped in front of him again. “Try me,” I challenged.
 
A look came over his face that I can’t describe but it made me want to take back my words. But before I could take them back, I felt his lips on mine. My body went stiff as my eyes widened from I-don’t-know-what. I felt one arm went around my waist as he pulled me closer while his free hand went to the back of my head to keep me lock in place.
 
His lips were soft, smooth and. . . well, wet. No, I should not be thinking of how his lips felt like. I should be pushing him away. I should be. . . I felt his mouth opened and his tongue darted out. A jolt went through me, giving me back the sense to fight it.
 
Fight it, Dee! Fight it, fight it, fight it! Push him!
 
I pushed him and my arm instantly lifted the moment I was Jiyong-free but his hand wrapped around my wrist. “You asked for it,” he said.
 
I swallowed hard. Embarrassed. I pulled my wrist free from his hold. I wanted to shout at him. But no words came out. I must’ve have looked like a gold fish, opening and closing my mouth. Without any coherent words coming to my mind, I decided it’s time for me to run away and put some distance between us.
 
And that’s what I did.
 
A lot of things went through my mind as I ran home but for some reason, I can’t bring myself to. . .to loathe him. Yes, I’m pissed. I’m annoyed. I felt harassed but I couldn’t bring myself to feel that. I couldn’t even bring myself to say that he crossed the line. So when I reached the gate of our house, I stopped and hesitated for a long time before turning around to face him. I knew he followed me.
 
“Why did you follow me home?” I asked.
 
“I want to make sure you get home safe.”
 
Damn him.
 
“Don’t do that again,” I told him. “Or I might end up hating you.”
 
That wasn’t entirely a lie. I couldn’t bring myself to feel that way right now but who knows what’ll happen in the future?
 
“I don’t usually do what I’m told to do,” he returned. I knew that, he didn’t have to point that out. “And I don’t think. . .”
 
“Don’t!” I blurted when I saw him stepped forward.
 
He tilted his head to the side and watched me. I took a step backward while keeping my eyes on him, just in case he’ll suddenly jump on me or something. As I watched his face, something in it changed which made me stop from my attempt of putting more distance between us. I don’t like the look on his face. It’s as if. . . it’s as if he realized something. There’s no other way to describe it.
 
“I’m making you nervous,” he said, moving forward.
 
I was rooted to the spot, unsure of how to react to what he just said. My brain seemed to stop functioning as I can’t fully grasp the meaning of his words. “Y-you. . . you should g-g-g-o home,” I heard myself squeak for a lack of better words to say.
 
He was suddenly standing so close in front of me. When did that happen? What happened to the distance I was quite determined to put between us? “W-what are you doing?” I asked when his hand went to either side of my head.
 
A soft and gentle kiss landed on my forehead. “Goodnight,” he whispered against my forehead. He then let me go. Without another glance, without another word, he turned around and started walking away while I stood there and watched until it was too dark for me to even see his silhouette.
 
 
 
Weekend came in turtle speed. I’ve been avoiding Jiyong the entire time and it proved to be difficult and tiring. Why does he always end up appearing where ever I am?
 
Although. . . he never attempted to talk to me, even once. He also didn’t send me any of his usual annoying messages. I don’t think he even glanced at me, even once. I think he forgot I exist. But still. I made efforts to stay away from him as much as I can.
 
I guess that’s for the better.
 
I shoved any thoughts related to Jiyong out of my mind. I have a date with Suzy today. I shouldn’t be thinking of anything and anyone else but this date. This is a one of a kind chance for me. I can’t afford to screw this up.
 
After a quick look at the mirror and goodbyes to my parents, I started heading towards our meeting point. I wanted to pick up Suzy from her house but she said she’d rather meet me to where I plan of taking her so I gave her the location of our meeting point.
 
I arrived thirty minutes earlier from the meeting time and I felt proud and satisfied of it. Boys should never make girls wait.
 
And so, I waited.
 
An hour and a half later on, Suzy arrived looking very pretty. But then, she had always been pretty. I smiled the moment I saw her walking towards me. Ah, she’s really really pretty.
 
“Hey,” she greeted. “Have you been waiting that long? I’m so sorry, I got caught up with something.”
 
“Oh it’s fine!” I assured her. She came, that’s what matters.
 
“So,” she said. “What are your plans for today?”
 
“I’m. . .”
 
“Waaaaaaa!” a loud shout suddenly came from nowhere, making me jump. “What a coincidence!”
 
I know that voice. I looked around but couldn’t find him anywhere but I straightened up when I saw a figure up ahead waving at us. I frowned a little and narrowed my eyes as I tried to figure out who that person was. Stupid me, why am I even trying to figure who that person was when his voice already gave him away.
 
He was running towards us with a huge grin on his face. “Woow, I can’t believe this! What a coincidence!” he exclaimed. “I was feeling rather lonely at home so I decided to go out and unwind and then I bumped into you guys. What a coincidence, eh?”
 
“Coincidence?” I repeated. What coincidence is he talking about? He knew where I’d be this weekend. He was the one who suggested me places to bring Suzy to.
 
“Yes!” he exclaimed. “Now we can hang out, the three of us. I won’t feel so lonely anymore. Ah, who would’ve thought you guys would be here too, eh?”
 
What on earth is he up to now?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
---------
 
Annyeong!
 
How are you guys? Did you miss me? LOL
 
What is Jiyong up to now? Hahahaha.. But gah, he was so cheesy in this chappie.
 

“You’re crazy,” I told him.

“Well, that’s what you do to me - drive me crazy,” he returned.

Goosebumps!!!!