A Week Together

Never Before

Baekhyun woke up on Tuesday morning feeling like absolute . He felt nauseous and he was hardly able to swallow a few bites of rice before running out the door and heading into school.

He ended up getting there early and pondering whether or not he should hang around his locker and wait for Chanyeol or if he would spend the entire day doing his best to dodge the giant and leave last night's events to the imagination because actually hearing Chanyeol say he was on a date would be much worse than Baekhyun being left to contemplate.

He decided, after about three minutes of twirling on his heels and puffing out his cheeks in annoyance, that he would go to class and ignore it until lunch time when he'd probably be faced with another decision on whether or not he should eat all alone or have to go through the conversation he dreaded up until four am.

He managed to avoid any contact with the younger up until lunch, in which he ended up sitting at the edge of the table next to some of the other kind-of-popular kids. And then avoiding Chanyeol the entire day became completely and utterly meaningless as one of the guys had to open his mouth and start the subject himself.

"So you know how that little twerp asked the one tall guy out? What's his name? Eh, Baekhyun, you know him right?" The boy motioned toward him and proceeded to stuff a piece of bread in his mouth before continuing, his words now slightly muffled. "He's the guy with the bright hair. He wore those awful glasses?"

Baekhyun shifted uncomfortably, his chopsticks stabbing into his rice as he leaned against the table.

"You mean Chanyeol?"

He mumbled the name in annoyance and the guy laughed.

"Yeah! Him!"

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. It's not as if the entire school wasn't talking about him before he came. He transferred in the middle of the year and the everyone instantly began ridiculing him. He was practically famous just because of the amount of people he let push him around.

"Well anyway," Baekhyun was about to let the voice drone into the background thinking that it would just be him talking about something stupid Chanyeol had done in the bathroom, but his attention was immediately focused on this as he went on. "This kid Luhan asked him out. I got some buddies of mine to kind of urge him to do it. He always got really shy and when he looked over at Chanyeol so we pushed him into it and you know what I heard? I heard they went to the movie theater yesterday." He laughed even more as he swallowed the bread and stuffed his face with another piece. "Anyway so here's the deal. My friend Tae Jin was at the movies too right? And he was there with his older brother. He actually got his older brother to purchase four tickets and he gave two to Luhan. He told him to see that one. He made sure that it was one with hardly anything but scenes and he sat behind them the entire movie. He said Chanyeol was squirming in his seat like crazy! He was like coughing a ton and he ended up slouching in his seat for the entire movie. Then afterward Tae Jin got so pissed that Luhan had hardly made a pass at him, he ended up shoving Chanyeol from behind and the guy practically fell on top of Luhan. So they were all serious right in the middle of the hallway, and right when Luhan tried to kiss him, get this, Chanyeol ran away. He ing ran away! Can you imagine some chick running away from you?! Chanyeol is one crazy I tell you."

Baekhyun instantly stood up once the boy took a breath and searched the lunchroom for Chanyeol, not finding him anywhere. He grabbed his lunch and rushed toward the door, flinging it open and nearly hitting Chanyeol directly in the back as the giant was sitting on the steps and picking at a leaf. Baekhyun sat down beside him, looking at him concerned, even though he was incredibly angry that he hadn't said anything about the plans yesterday and he wished he could've been the one going to the movies with him rather than Luhan, he had run away for God's sake. He probably felt awful about the entire thing right down to the core and Baekhyun couldn't leave him in his time of need.

"Hey, Chanyeol?"

Chanyeol ignored him, his fingers still tearing apart the already mutilated leaf.

"Chanyeol, are you alright?"

He leaned over, trying to get into Chanyeol's view, and the younger shook his head.

"No." His voice was soft. "I'm not alright."

Baekhyun nodded, scooting closer and grabbing the leaf from Chanyeol's hand, throwing it across the steps.

Chanyeol looked at him annoyed, his eyes searching Baekhyun's, and for a split second he felt like Baekhyun understood him.

"Did you... Hear about it? How? What do I mean how, everyone is talking about it dammit. Did you know someone dumped half a bottle of ketchup into my locker? It's so ing annoying, all of my books smell like now."

Baekhyun nodded, having an irresistible urge to give Chanyeol a hug which he probably needed incredibly badly, but holding himself back. It would probably start even more rumors anyway.

"One of the guys was there. He saw everything."

Chanyeol sighed, and Baekhyun instantly grabbed his lunch box, setting it in the other's lap.

He grabbed Chanyeol's hand, placing the chopsticks neatly on his palm.

"Eat something okay? It's not a big deal. Everyone gets nervous on a first date. If you didn't want to kiss him, then, you know, whatever."

Chanyeol grabbed a rolled egg and stuffed it in his mouth, shifting it to one cheek and looking back over at Baekhyun who was secretly thrilled. For one, he was happy Chanyeol was actually eating. He had gone through a similarly awful experience on his first date which resulted in him starving himself for a few days. But more than that, he was thrilled that they hadn't kissed. If Chanyeol and Luhan had kissed each other then Baekhyun was absolutely sure that they would have ended up dating from that point on and he would've seen all of his fantasies shattered then and there.

"Baekhyun,"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

Baekhyun smiled guiltily to himself.

"No problem."

Within five minutes of Chanyeol eating the entirety of Baekhyun's lunch and Baekhyun sitting there in silence the giant was completely back to normal, swallowing a very large bite of rice and grinning widely.

"I think I'm better now. I really am. I mean, so what if it didn't work out last night, right?"

Baekhyun smiled, grabbing a mini hot dog from what was left in his lunch and chewing on it slowly, not sure how to or if he should respond to that, and sitting, almost leaning against Chanyeol, for the rest of the lunch period, before heading back inside and going to chemistry.

They came last, and realized that the seats were being switched (much to Baekhyun's relief) which meant that the both of them were placed in the very far corner at a somewhat cramped table. Baekhyun sat leaning against the wall while Chanyeol's eyes read each title of the books on the shelf beside him.

He was happy with the arrangement because it meant he would be able to protect Chanyeol from over here. That is, he was happy until he realized that Chanyeol was staring in front of him as if he had just seen someone get murdered, and that's when his gaze went across the table to see Luhan sitting there shyly.

"Um, hi Luhan. I didn't even know you were in this class."

Baekhyun was surprised and a little angry that Chanyeol had started a conversation with him.

"Yeah, I normally sit where Baekhyun is so it's easy not to get noticed."

Chanyeol nodded and Baekhyun snorted quietly at how easy going their conversation was. Chanyeol had just been pouting on the steps about this guy and Baekhyun was trying very hard to keep him happy, but now, all of the sudden, they're going to be friends? He didn't like it at all. He wanted Chanyeol to stay away from this Luhan person.

But as chemistry went on, he got more and more pissed at them socializing and Luhan discreetly holding Chanyeol's hand with the excuse of trying to keep the beaker steady and he had had enough with it all by the end of class. He didn't like seeing Chanyeol blush due to someone other than him, and by the amount that Luhan was touching him, he could tell that the little was trying to make a move.

As they were putting their things away, Luhan cleared his throat, and very politely gave Chanyeol a long apology, explaining basically everything that Baekhyun had overheard at lunch and ending it rather abruptly.

Baekhyun half thought that he was going to ask Chanyeol for a do-over, and Chanyeol might very well say yes, so instead he butted in.

"Hey Chanyeol, we should do something special tonight."

Chanyeol looked at him curiously and Luhan seemed slightly peeved at the interruption as he broke in.

"Chanyeol, I was wondering, tomorrow, would you like to go to a restaurant?"

Baekhyun groaned, but swung his arm over Chanyeol's shoulder, which was relatively hard to do as he was so tall, and gave Luhan an apologetic smile.

"Sorry he can't." Chanyeol turned to him and he could tell that the younger was thoroughly confused and maybe even annoyed. "His parents are out of town and he's staying with me all week. It'd be too hard for my parents if they had to keep track of where he was going, seeing that his mom will want to check up on him and all, so he'll have to stay with me."

Luhan looked slightly disappointed but nodded.

"It's okay. I understand. Maybe some other time then."

He began to leave the chemistry lab and as soon as he walked out, Baekhyun detached himself from Chanyeol and angrily shoved papers into his bag, almost storming out.

Chanyeol watched him in disgust.

"What is this attitude. Shouldn't I be the one angry? Who said my parents were out of town! What are you trying to do?!"

Baekhyun spun on his heels and looked at Chanyeol, feeling like he should be apologetic, but he was too completely pissed to be even the slightest bit genuine about his apology.

"I'm sorry!" He let out a puff of air, causing his bangs to fly up. "But Luhan lives five houses away from mine so you better make up an excuse quick because either you're staying at my house or you have to wake up and get there before he can notice us not walking to school together." He snorted. "I'm not going to have him see that I lied on top of all of this."

Chanyeol laughed dryly.

"You can't be serious? I have to live with you for a week just because of your stupid lie?"

Baekhyun nodded.

"I guess I'll see you after school then."

And with that he stomped out of the lab and left Chanyeol with multiple eyes staring at him as he grabbed his books and followed.

A few hours of worried thoughts and Baekhyun mentally slapping himself, and they were both standing at their lockers incredibly awkwardly.

"So, did you think up an excuse?"

Chanyeol nodded.

"I called my mom last period and told her that we had a giant project due next week and it would be better if I stayed with you. She said she'd drop stuff off for me at your house but I told her I'd come pick it up instead."

Baekhyun nodded, turning away from Chanyeol.

"Why are you so pissed at me all of the sudden?"

Baekhyun stared at the ground, because under no circumstances would he admit he was crazily jealous, and mumbled.

"Just come on."

They walked down the street together, going out of their way so Chanyeol could get his things and Baekhyun could very pickily tell him what video games to bring.

It was stupid, they were both suppose to be friends but Baekhyun was leaning against the doorway, arms crossed and hair hanging over his eyes, while Chanyeol repeatedly bent over to grab a game or a controller or the occasional pair of boxers.

He told Baekhyun not to look as he kept packing his clothes, and Baekhyun snorted, because it was very obvious that Chanyeol was shy about his underwear choices, but as much as he wanted to peak and see what awful designs he had laying around, he resisted, looking up at the skylight and groaning out complaints until Chanyeol finally stood behind him, bag slung over his shoulder, and they headed to Baekhyun's house.

The elder walked ahead of him by a few steps. He didn't care how childish it was, he absolutely was not in the mood for small talk.

He wasn't really sure what he expected, but he knew that even though it was insanely stupid, all he really wanted was for Chanyeol to promise he would never talk to Luhan again.

The rest of the night was spent with them alternating bathroom time and grabbing snacks. They didn't even see each other most of the night as Chanyeol roamed around the house and waited a painfully long time for Baekhyun to finish applying product after product on his face before swinging the door open and prancing into his room, yelling down the hall for Chanyeol to get in before his sister invaded and he'd never get a chance.

That was something else Chanyeol wasn't aware of. Baekhyun had a ten year old sister. She wasn't especially annoying, and it seemed like she stayed in her room a lot, but when she did happen to come into the kitchen, Chanyeol didn't think there would ever be an end to her peppered questions.

Finally, at exactly 11:05, he was crawling underneath a pile of blankets laid out neatly next to Baekhyun's bed, while Baekhyun played games on his phone until Chanyeol entered.

He immediately demanded for Chanyeol to turn off the light and the latter could hear him rustling around in his bed for a good three minutes after.

Baekhyun let out a groan and Chanyeol looked over, unable to see anything but light hair falling gently over the side of the bed, illuminated by moonlight.

"Baekhyun, is there something wrong?"

Baekhyun let out a small hum and Chanyeol shifted, trying to see more of him.

"Why aren't you talking to me? What did I do?"

Baekhyun sighed.

"I just think that Luhan guy is bad news."

Chanyeol snorted.

"Don't be so self righteous. You don't have to choose my friends and enemies for me."

Baekhyun instantly threw a stuffed elephant at Chanyeol and the younger laughed, throwing it back over the bed.

"I'm not being self righteous. I'm just worried is all. It'd be really great if you could just stop talking to him."

Chanyeol curled up into his blankets and closed his eyes, feeling strange sleeping somewhere other than his own bed but oddly comforted by the droning of the fan and the feeling of Baekhyun's presence in the bed beside him.

"Whatever. Goodnight Baekhyun."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, bringing the sheets up to his nose and biting his lower lip.

This was not a whatever situation. This was something that Baekhyun deeply cared about. Chanyeol, was completely and utterly blind to his feelings, and it wasn't just because he didn't have his glasses. He was a moron through and through, and Baekhyun had absolutely no idea how to get to him.

 

                                                               

                                      Never Before