Friday Night

Never Before

"So what should we do?"

Baekhyun lay splayed out on the couch while Chanyeol walked into the room, carrying a bag of sour cream and onion chips and reaching in to grab a handful.

"We could watch Frozen."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, on his otter pop and glaring up at him.

"We've seen that movie twice already."

"I like it."

"Chanyeol, we've only been friends for a week and I've only come over twice besides this, each time you have somehow managed to force me to watch Frozen despite the fact that I saw it in theaters and I saw it again with my little cousin. I have seen that movie four ing times, I refuse."

Chanyeol collapsed on the chair.

"Fine. Then I don't know what we should do."

Baekhyun reached for the remote, grabbing it and beginning to search the contents of Netflix. He came to a movie.

"How about this?"

Chanyeol squirmed in his seat.

"I've never heard of it, I guess we could try it?"

Baekhyun nodded and they began watching it, the words The Shining appearing on the screen.

They made it through the beginning, but by the time they saw the old lady in the bathtub Chanyeol had stood from his seat and pushed his way onto the couch with Baekhyun, sitting beside him and resting his head on the smaller's shoulder, searching for some sort of happiness in the scent of Baekhyun's neck as he watched the madness of the movie continue.

Baekhyun began feeling incredibly uncomfortable just about the time when the little boy was writing 'REDRUM' on the door and he immediately grabbed onto Chanyeol's hand, clasping for dear life. Neither of them were huge fans of horror/psychological movies and Baekhyun realized he would much rather have watched Mulan.

The movie ended, the insane guy frozen to death and the two innocents escaped, and Baekhyun let out a deep sigh as the credits began to roll.

He looked down and realized Chanyeol was still rested on his shoulder, their hands entangled and their breathing beginning to match up. He felt butterflies forming in his stomach and immediatly let go.

"Chanyeol, um, I need my shoulder back."

Chanyeol's eyes widened and he quickly sat up, standing and shaking himself as he stood straight.

"I didn't like that movie."

"Me neither."

They both stared at the screen and Baekhyun quickly exited out, deciding to go find some sort of comfort food before their night progressed any further.

"Oh hey Baekhyun!"

"What is it?"

"How long can you stay tonight?"

"It's Friday night, I can sleep here if that's okay."

Chanyeol nodded. His parents were out of town for the weekend so he liked the idea of having company.

It was kind of pathetic, how much he had opened up to Baekhyun already.

He always had inner monologue about how he should be careful and not say anything too revealing of his personality but he always ended up shoving the monologue aside because Baekhyun had said he would be his friend. He even found himself acting like himself around Baekhyun, granted he was a little restricted, but he never in his life had imagined he would be sitting in his living room with such a sassy guy holding his hand.

He just can't fall in love.

If he falls in love the whole thing is over and it'll all just go 'poof' and he'll be back to lonely Chanyeol who doesn't have any plans on Friday night nevertheless any friends and he liked having some sort of partner who would talk to him about gossip at school and about the one guy in the hall who made out with two girls on the same day and the other guy who stuck his chewing gum on the top of the desk and totally disgusted the entire class but no one would say anything because who would?

Yet he found himself enjoying the way that Baekhyun talked until his lungs were completely empty. He liked how the boy took so incredibly long at the drinking fountain and how he had about five thousand personalities yet somehow the bubbly one always escaped even if he were mad. He liked everything about him and he really couldn't resist ual thoughts but he was supposed to be an innocent high school guy who had never even watched nevertheless lived it so as soon as Baekhyun came out of the kitchen with a piece of re-heated pizza and Chanyeol thought about just how cute he looked trying to stuff the whole slice in his mouth, Chanyeol realized he was completely and utterly ed over and he would never in his life be able to just be friends with Byun Baekhyun.

"What's wrong?"

Baekhyun sat on the couch again, crossing his legs and wiping one hand on his jeans as he began another movie search.

Chanyeol sat warily beside him.

"Nothing. The pizza just looks really good."

"Do you want a bite?"

Baekhyun held the pizza in front of Chanyeol and Chanyeol cautiously leaned in, only to have Baekhyun shove his greasy palm against his forehead and let a loud bubble of laughter emit from his lips.

"I'm just kidding. There's like, five more pieces, go get your own."

Chanyeol pouted and Baekhyun began searching other places for movies, finally googling things on his phone as he stopped at another, holding up the screen and showing Chanyeol a Japanese one. 'Junjou Romantica'.

"How about this?"

Chanyeol looked at the summary and immediately grabbed the remote from his hand, brushing aside the phone.

"No. You have proven that you at picking movies, I'm choosing."

Baekhyun sat there pouting,occasionally taking a small bite of his pizza as Chanyeol stopped at Frozen and grinned.

Baekhyun glared at him, hitting the remote from his hands and facing the ceiling, opening his mouth wide and raising his voice.

"I Byun Baekhyun, absolutely refuse to watch Frozen again before the year is over! If Park Chanyeol violates my vow and forces me to, he will be forced to grant me one wish. Agreed?"

Chanyeol looked skeptically at the boy who seemed more like a four year old than a sophomore in high school, but he nodded.

Baekhyun looked down, holding out his hand.

"Shake."

"No, your hands are greasy."

"Fine, pinkie promise."

Chanyeol grudgingly laced his pinkie with Baekhyun's and pressed their thumbs together.

He smiled, leaning back on the couch, and Chanyeol pressed play on Frozen.

Baekhyun's eyes widened in horror and Chanyeol let out a chuckle.

"I don't think your wish could be that bad. You're too nice. I want to watch Frozen."

Baekhyun let out a groan, mumbling under his breath. "Yeah, I'm too nice. As if the whole school isn't terrorized of me, okay."

Chanyeol snorted reaching for a bag of mini snickers on the coffee table and digging into it.

He laughed just as much as he had the first time he watched Frozen, only this was his seventh, and Baekhyun could hardly even take seeing it five times but Baekhyun couldn't help but feel happy every time Chanyeol tapped his shoulder and whispered "Wait, wait, this is my favorite part."

The credits rolled and they were much more happy than they were after Baekhyun's selection.

It was nearly 11PM, both boys reaching the end of their sugar rush and Baekhyun sighed.

"Should we go to sleep?"

Chanyeol nodded, standing up and looking in bewilderment at the coffee table.

"Did we eat all that?"

Baekhyun stood behind him, patting his back.

"No, you ate all that."

Chanyeol grimaced at his own appetite and they made their way upstairs, deciding it would be nice to sleep in the guest room together. There were two single beds, both parallel to each other, and as they both lay down they realized they really didn't like the set up at all.

After about twenty minutes, they had pushed the beds together, making them into a queen sized bed that was only slightly seperated.

Chanyeol kept talking and talking, occasionally looking at Baekhyun who was wide eyed and listening whole heartedly, and eventually rolling onto his side so he could stare at the beautiful face the entire time.

He talked about everything, his past, his future, the emotions he had been having the past few weeks, leaving out the few moments in which he felt completely in love with Baekhyun and deciding he should add in something so whenever he talked about Baekhyun it wouldn't seem too obvious that he really had fallen in love, so instead, he talked about Jongin, a boy who was a good three inches shorter than him, with perfect full lips and eyes that were always too bright for someone who looked so mysterious. He ended up talking about Jongin for a good half hour, to the point he thought that maybe he has developed a crush for the boy however ludicrous that was. Baekhyun smiled to himself as he heard the deep voice beginning to get worn out and he nodded, glancing at the clock below their bed and seeing the LED lights brightly showing the numbers 2:46.

"Chanyeol,"

"Yeah?"

"If you like this Jongin guy so much, why haven't you said anything?"

Chanyeol paused.

"Uh, well, I'm nervous I guess."

Baekhyun rolled onto his back and sighed.

"If everyone who has ever had a crush were to never tell of it, there would be a billion single people in this world."

Chanyeol faltered at the idea of being single forever, but he didn't mind as long as Baekhyun could stay single too.

"I don't know, I think if something's meant to happen, I should just leave it up to fate or something."

Baekhyun closed his eyes and let out a giggle.

"You're too cheesy."

Chanyeol couldn't reply, his mind was overly occupied with how bizarre his situation was at the moment, and he began hearing Baekhyun's breathing deepen and slow down, every once in a while he would let out a tiny snore or a whimper. Chanyeol smiled to himself as he moved over to Baekhyun's side of the bed for just a moment, brushing the hair from his eyes and sweeping it to the side.

"Baekhyun, this might be the only bit of courage I have, and I'm really pathetic for only having the courage when I know that you won't even hear me, but I think I like you. A little bit too much." He let out the quietest whisper of dry laughter.

"Baekhyun, this is what you get for being my first best friend."

He lay for a few minutes staring happily at Baekhyun and having a very large urge to wrap his arms around him but he restrained himself, not wanting to wake him up and have to explain why he was hugging his best friend while he was asleep, so instead, he crawled back to his side and closed his eyes, letting the last thing he see be Baekhyun's parted lips.

 

                                    ✴ Never Before