Sudden Twist

Never Before

Baekhyun stumbled, nearly falling onto the cold tile of the lab room, catching himself on the table, but all he could think of was Chanyeol, and as he panicked he heard a very painful groan emit from the boy's lips. He looked up desperately, seeing Chanyeol stumbling back into the desks, his hands rubbing his eyes in the most agitating way. His glasses had fallen to the floor and one of the lenses had shattered but that was the least of Chanyeol's worries.

The teacher turned rather suddenly, her face lighting up in shock as she yelled out an order to Baekhyun who seemed to be the only one who was phased by the event. He quickly obeyed, dragging Chanyeol over to the station near his table and turning on the thing that looked somewhat like a drinking fountain but was for this very purpose. He didn't know what it was called and he couldn't care less, he just hoped desperately it would turn on and he wouldn't accidentally activate the shower.

Chanyeol was letting out little whimpers, his eyes shut tight as the whole class stared in awe.

Baekhyun's hand slid in circles over his back, trying to get him to calm down, trying to reassure him that it's alright as the water began spraying out.

"C'mon Chanyeol, just open your eyes so the water can flow through, it'll start to feel better."

It took a good ten minutes to coax Chanyeol into opening his eyes wide enough for the chemical to come out, and even then it took another fifteen until Chanyeol's whimpers stopped and he came back to his real self.

The bell rang about 12 minutes into the process and as soon as Chanyeol seemed to be capable, Baekhyun slid his hand into the other's and led him to the office.

He waited outside for ages, hoping the inspection would be alright and Chanyeol wouldn't come back with news saying he was likely to go blind by the age of twenty.

The door clicked and he lifted his gaze from his phone, seeing Chanyeol come out with a weak smile, wearing a pair of half-broken glasses.

"What's the matter? Are you alright?"

Chanyeol nodded.

"Nothing serious. We washed it out pretty thoroughly so I guess it didn't do much damage."

Baekhyun heaved a sigh, having zero energy to go to sixth period and figuring Chanyeol probably felt the same.

"Should I walk home with you? We could leave now."

Chanyeol looked at him blankly for a moment, reveling in the fact that a boy like this would even think about caring so much.

"No. I'm fine. I'll go alone."

"But what if something happens? What if you're not safe or-"

"I'm fine Baekhyun!"

Chanyeol pushed him back and Baekhyun looked at him, both puzzled and hurt by the action. Chanyeol ducked his head, shoving past him and walking down the hallway toward the doors because really, no one had cared for him before. He didn't want anyone to start now.

Baekhyun stood, watching him walk away and feeling utterly conflicted.

What the hell.

He turned away, walking to the computer lab and staring at the ground the whole way.

What a jerk.

The next morning, Chanyeol went to school grudgingly, his eyes dry and his clothes rumpled. He didn't mind the fact that everyone was picking on him. Yeah, it hurt, but it's not as if it was a foreign concept. Ever since he had known Sehun he had known that he wasn't meant to fit in and that was just how it was. No, the real thing bothering him was Baekhyun, because the guy already seemed to be making way too much of an effort to get into his head and as soon as that happened, he'd probably manage to get into his heart, and frankly, Chanyeol had already experienced that once before and he didn't want it to happen again. No, he was determined to make it never happen again.

He stepped inside and immediately knew something was wrong, his pace quickening as soon as he heard one of the cheerleaders talking.

"C'mon, hurry up! There's some sort of fight going on!"

Chanyeol turned the corner, looking about halfway down the hallway and staring in disbelief at the sight.

Baekhyun, despite his small figure, looked incredibly intimidating, a sneer on his face as he shoved a boy against the locker.

He stepped closer, his eyes widening even more when he realized that it was the same kid who had sprayed the chemicals in his eyes after knocking his glasses off.

"What, you think you can just do whatever you want?! Did you think it was funny or something?! You're ing sick! What did he ever do to you huh? Did he hurt you first or do you just like ing up peoples lives?!"

The boy was trying to fight back, annoyance painted in every part of his expression as he shoved Baekhyun back.

"What? You heard the rumors too didn't you? Don't you think he's sick?! He's an outcast! Do you think anything's going to change that?!"

Baekhyun glared at him, landing a punch on his jaw and causing him to stumble back. He grabbed him by the collar, another fist flying through the air, and Chanyeol saw the blood beginning to trickle from his lips as Baekhyun landed punch after punch.

He had to do something didn't he?

His shoes tapped against the floor as he ran closer, his heart pounding as he stopped hardly three feet from the procession.

"Baekhyun, quit it!"

Baekhyun's head whipped around, his hand still in the air ready to strike, and his eyes grew wide. Chanyeol's gaze was definite, almost threatening, hidden behind the dark rims of his still-broken glasses, his voice stern as if he was ready to punch Baekhyun himself for being so incredibly idiotic.

"Let go."

Baekhyun uncurled his fingers from the cloth, letting the boy relax as he quickly readjusted his hair and looked at Chanyeol nervously, taking a timid step foreward and wringing his hands.

"Uh, Chanyeol... Hi."

He smiled up at Chanyeol, as if there wasn't even a bloodied boy standing right behind him.

"What are you doing? Where's Junmyeon?"

"He's staying home today. He said he was sick."

Chanyeol glanced at the people around him, all staring at this whole event as if it was some kind of show put on just for them. He didn't like being the center of attention, no matter what the reason, it felt awkward and disgusting like he was some kind of toy to be manipulated.

"Why are you fighting?"

Baekhyun took a deep breath, his whisper almost inaudible.

"He..... Hurt you."

Chanyeol was taken aback by this, his eyes traveling over Baekhyun's expression and maybe he felt just the tiniest twinge in his heart, as if the smallest piece had been replaced by the compassion of this guy. He instantly hated himelf for this feeling.

"I don't need your sympathy!"

Baekhyun looked up at him like a dejected puppy, his voice timorous.

"I just wanted to make sure that he wouldn't do anything to you again."

"You're creeping me out! We're not friends! We're not anything alright?!"

Baekhyun nodded.

"I am scaring you aren't I. I'm being too protective all of the sudden for a guy I just met. I didn't mean to do anything wrong, I just wanted to help."

"Don't help! I don't need it!"

Baekhyun couldn't believe his ears; he doesn't need it?

"You almost went blind yesterday! Don't you think you should do something about that?!"

"Something like what? Beat up somebody just so I can get bullied even more later on by his friends?!"

Baekhyun looked up at him in shock, sudden realization clouding over his face but disappearing in an instant.

"I didn't think of that alright?! I'm ing sorry for trying to help!"

"Baekhyun, just shut up and go away!"

This was crazy.

This was insane.

This was completely unrealistic and very possibly the stupidest thing Byun Baekhyun had ever done in his life.

But he didn't want to go away.

So instead, he grabbed onto Chanyeol's tie, tugging forcefully, placed one hand on back of the giant's neck,

and Byun Baekhyun became Park Chanyeol's very first kiss.

 

                                                                 

  Never Before