July 7, 2015 - Traveling w/ Parents

Reality of Life
Please log in to read the full chapter

My family planned to go to Korea and Japan for our summer vacation, but suddenly the MERS incident came. Even though we know it's not as harmful now, it was a little too late to book any flights or tours since it was crazy expensive. Instead, my dad insisted to go to New York for 4th of July. I didn't really want to go, but my sister and mom did. Eventually I gave in and we booked our flight to New York for a week. The first few days were fine but on July 5th, everything became awkward and tiring.

 

Staying in New York and traveling by car for 6 hours to go to Canada was tiring, but it was still fun. We went back to New York the following day. Our plan was to go to Washington DC after we rest that night in New York. So we did. We arrived in Washington DC after driving for four hours. Honestly, there wasn’t much there because all we did was look at the White House. It was super hot and we walked the whole time in DC. After we saw the White House, my sister just wanted to go back to New York. My dad got mad saying that we wasted time driving there and that he wouldn't want to go on vacation again if we went home like this. However, being the stubborn girl my sister is, she kept insisting on going home. So we did. My dad was pissed (he didn't show it, but you know he was), so he made my mom drive. On our way home, there was seriously a traffic hell. You had no idea how bad it was; it was the worst traffic I ever been in my life. So instead of sitting in the traffic, my mom stopped by a rest stop since we were also almost out of gas anyways. There was, of course, still traffic going into the rest stop. My dad was still mad so he jumped out of the car first and walked in. Everyone in the car was already like okay... Eventually my mom parked the car first so we could use the restroom and get food. The area was like a freaking a kpop concert because we could barely walk around. The place was so crowded that it took us over an hour just to pee and get food. After we finished, we met our dad at the front door. He pumped the gas already, so he lead us to where he parked the car. He wanted to drive this time, but honestly, I didn't want him too. When my father's angry, he is a reckless and dangerous driver. Seriously thought I was going to die the last time he got angry. My mom and I didn't sleep in the car because we knew he was reckless when he’s mad.

 

In New York especially, there are a lot of toll roads. There are 2 types of lanes; cash and E-ZPass. The E-ZPass lane will obviously be faster because those are prepaid routes. Since we were only on vacation, we had to drive through the longer cash lanes. My dad drove on the wrong lane by accident, so he tried to squeeze in the cash lane. We stood there for a while, and you know New Yorkers, they didn't let my dad in. He got angry for waiting so he said “I'm so tired, just let me get a fine," and he drove to the E-ZPass lane. We drove pass the toll and the lights flashed ‘unpaid’. Like, great father... You couldn't wait a little longer and pay only $4, now he has to pay a stupid fine...

Please log in to read the full chapter