Nothing New

숨소리 (Breath)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click on this before you read~

Have you clicked already? Yes? You're sure?

Alright, read on ^^

 

Jessica checked her hair and makeup in the mirror again, running a brush through her hair repeatedly to make sure she looked perfect for work.

 

As she smacked her lips together to further even out the pink tint on her lips, an alarm tone rang out; Krystal’s alarm tone to be exact. She grimaced as the annoying song dragged on, wondering why her sister had not woken up to shut it off.

 

The older Jung was patient enough to allow an entire minute to pass before deciding to take matters into her own hands. She marched towards her baby sister’s room and threw the door open without warning. The girl was lying still as a log with a pillow over her head. Jessica sighed hopelessly at the sight, storming towards the bed to pull the pillow off her sister.

 

“Yah,” she prodded at the sleeping girl’s head. “Yah, Jung Soojung!”

 

No reaction.

 

“Really? Are you really gonna pretend you can’t hear me?” Jessica scowled to herself. The stupid alarm was still ringing and provoking the hell out of her.

 

Noticing Krystal’s phone on the bedside table, she snatched it and dismissed the song, exhaling in relief at the immediate silence that engulfed the room. Setting the device down, she grabbed her sister’s shoulders and shook the girl gently, “Get up, Kryssie. Time for school.”

 

“Mm…” The girl stirred lightly, brows creasing.

 

“Come on, you’re in college already. I shouldn’t have to be doing this,” Jessica brought a hand forward to pat the younger Jung’s face. A small frown passed her features at the contact and she quickly reached out once more to feel the girl’s forehead and neck. Her skin felt unusually hot to the touch.

 

“Soojung-ah, are you feeling sick?” Jessica could feel the worry building up within her. It was probably just an ordinary cold but she never liked seeing her sister ill and weak.

 

“Mm…” Krystal groaned softly, eyes half open, brows still creased.

 

“You’re feeling terrible, aren’t you? Come, sit up first,” it took Jessica almost all her strength to prop her sister up against a pillow. “I’ll be back.”

 

Several minutes later, she returned with a glass of water and a moist towel. Krystal looked slightly more awake at this point but still as pale as ever.

 

“This should make you feel a little better,” Jessica gently mopped the girl’s burning forehead and face with the damp cloth before sitting herself down beside her. Lifting the glass to her sister’s lips, she urged, “Have a small sip.”

 

That Krystal did, but she started coughing and spluttering when some of it went down the wrong way. She felt an assuring hand run up and down her back to soothe her, and soon settled back into her sister’s warm embrace. Her back was against the soft pillow and her head was lodged comfortably on Jessica’s shoulder.

 

All Krystal wanted to do was hug her sister tightly at that moment. Being sick always made her feel vulnerable and Jessica was often, needless to say, her surest form of comfort. Sure, they had their fair share of arguments, disputes, and violent moments when one party swore she’d strangle the other dead with her bare hands, but it was all part of the love-hate relationship they shared.

 

The mere presence of Jessica, more often than not, provided the most therapeutic effect Krystal found much too complex to explain with the seemingly limited vocabulary she possessed. Times like this reminded her that she needed her sister and it scared her just thinking about how bleak and hopeless life would be without her. In spite of her craving for a nice, warm hug, it felt a little awkward having to initiate one. Besides, she did not want to risk passing anything to her sister.

 

Jessica seemed to understand her thoughts and, after setting the glass down, proceeded to wrap her arms snuggly around her. The younger Jung’s heart skipped a beat at the gesture, and she found herself burying her head a little deeper into her sister’s neck despite herself.

 

They stayed that way for a solid few minutes before Jessica broke the peaceful silence with a strained whisper, “Will you be okay by yourself?”

 

“Mm-mm,” Krystal shook her head at once. She had only just grown accustomed to the feeling of her sister’s body plastered against her own. It felt nice; a peculiar, remedying kind of nice. Like enjoying her favorite ice-cream on blistering days and hiding under the sheets in her warm bed on cold, rainy ones.

 

She wanted them to stay like that all day.

 

Jessica chuckled softly, dainty fingers brushing against the girl’s cheek, “I’m late for work, Kryssie.”

 

“But unnie…” The younger Jung whined in a rare, high-pitched tone that made herself cringe, and her long, skinny arms swiftly curled around her sister’s waist to pull her closer.

 

Jessica felt her heart melt from the simple act of endearment and was all ready to give in. It was not every day she got to witness this side of her sister. If Krystal asked, she would gladly stay in bed with her all day long.

 

“Take a day off. Please? For me?”

 

“Of course, baby.”

 

And Jessica stopped short when she realized the word that she accidentally let slip. She had gotten too carried away.

 

Krystal clearly noticed and hastened to ask, “Unnie, did you just--”

 

“Shh. Just try to get some more sleep, alright? I’ll be here when you wake,” Jessica pressed a brief kiss onto the girl’s forehead.

 

-

 

Jessica’s POV

 

I must have dozed off alongside Krystal because the next time I opened my eyes, it was already late afternoon. Turning to my left, I smiled slightly when I noticed that she had not budged the entire time. Her arms were still wrapped around me securely.

 

She still felt warm and was lightly perspiring. I tucked some loose strands of hair behind her ear gently and leaned in a little to take a closer look at her.

 

Soojung has really grown a lot; on the outside, that is. She’s still a childish, stubborn, silly little dork on the inside, that’s for sure.

 

And I love this dork so, so much. I’m certai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter