Promise

Love Again
chapter eighteen
“Then why is it pushing us together in the first place?”

 

“Even I can’t answer this question. You just have to wait.”

 

“How long do I have to wait then?!”

 

“Thirteen days.”

 

“Then in thirteen days, I will make her fall in love with me and have her admit it. I’ll change those damn constellations so our stars could match. Since her sweet Seungho is dead now, his stupid stars are dead as well. It’s my turn to step in.”

 

“Do whatever you want, but in thirteen days, everything will change.”

 

The witch glanced from the boy to Sora before looking back at Cheondung.

 

“I can feel your heart beating for this girl. It is a strange sight to see, I’ll admit that, but be careful; it won’t be that easy to replace her soulmate.”

 

Without another word, she stepped out of the room and walked away, leaving an agitated demon as he went back to his pacing with his heart beating rapidly.

 

He ran his fingers through his hair as his body turned to face Sora; he slowly stepped towards the bed and sat down on the chair. He leaned his body where his elbows met his knees and where his chin met the knuckles of both his hands.

 

He watched her sleep, trying to catch any subtle sign of her waking up from the coma; his mind was aching and he was slowly feeling weak from the constant anxiety that ran through his veins.

 

‘I’ll prove to you that I’m better than him. It’s me you need, not him.’

 

 

He was blowing off steam until he found himself standing in front of his mother’s hospital room.

 

He took in a deep breath and walked in, greeting her with a light smile.

 

From one glance at her boy, she knew something was wrong.

 

“Yongguk? What’s going on?”

 

“N-nothing, why do you ask?”

 

“I can see it in your eyes. Don’t lie to me, what’s wrong?”

 

A sigh rolled down his tongue as he hid his hands in his pockets, glancing down at the floor before lifting his head back up to look at his mother.

 

“Sora’s here... A-and it’s not good.”

 

“What do you mean not good? What happened?”

 

“Don’t worry too much about it, I’ll take care of everything-”

 

“Yongguk. Spill it. What the else is going on? What aren’t you telling me?”

 

He walked over to her and sat down. He leaned his upper body over until his arms were resting on his lap. He took a moment to himself, trying to lay the truth as smooth as possible, but he couldn’t; he didn’t know how.

 

“Sweetheart, you’re scaring me… What happened?”

 

“S-Sora’s in danger.”

 

“What kind of danger?”

 

“Demonic.”

 

Anger was rising within the pit of her stomach; the heart monitor that was attached to her, displayed irregular heartbeats. “You’ve got to be kidding me! Where is that wrecking witch so I can strangle her?! Ugh!”

 

“Mom! Mom! C-calm down! Breathe-”

 

“Don’t tell me to calm down Yongguk. That life-ruining is going after my children! I am not going to calm down!”

 

Yongguk quickly reached out for his mother’s hand in between his own, trying to get her to calm down. “Mom, please. Just breathe.”

 

Gazing at her only son, she breathed in and out rhythmically and calmly until her heartbeat came back to normal. She closed her eyes, took one second for herself before she tilted her head back to the boy. “What does that Armina want you to do?”

 

“One of the Princes is here, well actually both of them are here.”

 

“And they are both after Sora? Is it because of Seungho?”

 

“Not exactly… The youngest one, I don’t what the hell is going on with him, but he’s been hanging out with Sora. As for the other one; he’s after his brother and Sora’s in the way-”

 

“So he’s going after her too?”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“Hasn’t she suffered enough? What’s with all that bad karma?”

 

“I don’t know, but Armina wants me to step up and go after Joon.”

 

Her eyes were wide open, taken completely aback by her son’s abrupt revelation.

 

It took another toll on her heart.

 

“Are you out of your mind?! There’s no way I’m going to let you get yourself killed!”

 

“M-mom-”

 

“NO! I’ve already lost your father to this stupid demon hunter supernatural crap, I’m not going to lose you too.”

 

“What about Sora then? If I don’t help her, she’s gonna die.”

 

“Yongguk please, I’m sure there is another way for whatever is going on. I am begging you, don’t do this.”

 

They were suddenly interrupted with Armina’s presence as she walked through the door. From her son, Mrs. Bang turned her head to the witch where her gaze turned from desperation to anger. “I gave up my health for the safety of my children. I am not going to let them walk straight to their death!”

 

The rising of her tone left sore, causing her to cough. Yongguk quickly tended to his mother, offering her a glass of water from her small table next to her bed.

 

“Mom, Sora is lying in an hospital bed, unconscious, because of all of this. It has to stop.”

 

“I’m sure there is someone else out there who can do this. You have never done this before Yongguk and going straight for one of the most powerful demons isn’t a good start! He is going to kill you before you even have a chance to lift up a finger!”

 

She grabbed onto her son’s hands, squeezing them tightly while she looked at him with tears in her eyes, begging him for common sense.

 

“It’s not your job Yongguk. This witch brought it upon herself, not you. So please, don’t go. Don’t do this. I only have the three of you left.”

 

“What am I supposed to do then? I can’t just stand by and watch Noona get killed!”

 

“He has to do this Yumi. It’s his duty-”

 

“Shut it, you home wrecker! Maybe to you he’s just a demon hunter, but he is somebody’s son. MY son. I am not going to let you take him away from me for something that you can easily do by yourself. You brag that you are a freaking matriarch of some coven or whatever! If you are so powerful, use your stupid powers and leave my family alone!”

 

“Mom, she’s right… I have to do this.”

 

“Did she cast some spell on you?! Why are you siding with her and not with your own damn blood?! You are just like your father Yongguk and that’s what got him killed!” Her eyes gazed back to Armina, pointing out her rant. “And you, get out! Don’t you dare step back inside that room, do you hear me?! And stay the hell away from my children!”

 

“Yumi, your daughter is in danger-”

 

“Because of you! If you haven’t blessed her on that damn night, none of this would be happening! She wouldn’t have been stuck with a damned life! She would’ve made something of herself and way out of your witchcraft ! You’ve ruined my family and I will always despise you for it. Now, get out.”

 

Armina glanced at the boy while she was still calm.

 

“Meet me at my house when you’re done.”

 

She walked out and softly closed the door behind, leaving mother and son back on their argument.

 

“If you go to that witches’ house, I am never speaking to you again.”

 

“Mom, please, don’t be like this. Everything is gonna be fine. Trust me.”

 

“I trusted your father and now he’s six feet under.”

 

“Sora is going to die if I don’t do something. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be safe, I promise.”

 

He could see the tears lining in her eyes, breaking his heart.

 

She let out a deep sigh, knowing that she had lost this round of dispute.

 

“You have to promise me something.”

 

“Of course, anything.”

 

“This has to be the last time we get into all this. Once everything is over and you guys are safe, you got to leave all that supernatural stuff behind. I’m going to lose my sanity if anything happens to any of you.”

 

“I promise.”

 

 

D a y  E i g h t y - E i g h t (#88)

 

He was sleeping with his head over the edge of the bed, still holding onto her hand when he felt a shift, causing him to finally wake up.

 

Pulling away with his back resting against the chair, he looked up and noticed her fingers subtly moving. His gaze trailed up to her face just when she was fluttering her eyes open. “Sora?”

 

“Hey~” A lazy smile appeared on her lips where her eyes gazed at him.

 

A sigh of relief came out of his mouth as he dropped his head.

 

He felt her fingers softly play through his hair, making him look back up at her with a small soft smile on his face.

 

“Were you worrying about me?”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“I’m fine. I actually don’t feel the pain anymore.”

 

“Good.”

 

“How long have I been out?”

 

“Since yesterday morning… Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“I’m sure, I promise.”

 

He sat up from the chair and took a seat on the bed, facing her while he held onto her hand, looking down at it with his fingers softly caressing her skin.

 

“Ch-Cheondung?”

 

“Yea?”

 

“I’m sorry for calling you by Seungho’s name yesterday… For a moment I thought he was the one that was with me.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

She shifted in bed, pulling herself to sit up. With Cheondung’s help, he had placing himself closer to her as he arranged a set of pillows for her back. “Are you comfortable?”

 

“Yea, thanks.”

 

He tugged some strands of her hair behind her ear and leaned closer until he softly pecked her lips; the tenderness of his gesture swelled up her heart with a new wave of unfamiliar warmth.

 

He pulled away far enough for the tip of his nose to leave a feather touch onto hers. He was just about to lean back and kiss her once again when they were interrupted with the sound of a knock on a door.

 

Both heads turned to see a displeased Yongguk as he leaned his body against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest.

 

Next to him, Yumi made her appearance with a soft look on her face when she glanced at her daughter before looking sternly at the boy that was hogging her.

 

Sora turned to look back at Cheondung, softly asking him to wait while she catches up with her mom and brother.

 

“I’ll be in the waiting room.”

 

“Okay.”

 

He pecked her cheek before getting up on his feet and walking away just as Yongguk and Yumi left the entrance empty for the boy to leave. Once he was out, Sora’s mother walked over to her daughter while Yongguk closed the door behind him, still not liking what he had just witnessed.

 

Sora noticed the look on his face but didn’t really care at the moment; she was just happy to see her mother and her younger brother. She let her mother take up the space next to her as both women sat closely next to each other with Yumi draping her arm around the little one while she had leaned her head against the woman’s shoulder.

 

“How are you feeling sweetheart?”

 

“Better. I don’t remember having slept so peacefully before…”

 

With her head still on her mother’s shoulder, she closed her eyes when she felt a caress on the side of her head where Yumi was gently her daughter’s hair with her cheek resting on top of the girl’s head. “Sweetheart?”

 

“Mhmm?”

 

“Who was that boy?”

 

“Just someone I met a few days ago. We’re not exactly friends but we’re not really strangers either. Why?”

 

“I was just curious.”

 

Yumi looked at her son who was still standing by the entrance, not having moved from earlier. The look in her eyes showed worry and the boy knew exactly why.

 

He had vowed to his mother he would take care of things. Even though Cheondung was powerless, he had twelve days left until he can regain his powers, which meant that his sister would be in bigger danger.

 

He had to save her.

 

That was his duty and he promised himself he would carry the legacy his father had left.

 

He had to protect his family at all cost.

 

Even if it meant that he had to die.