Return of the Ex

Classic Love Story

4

Return of the Ex

CHAPTER FOUR


“What do you think is the best way to get a girl to like you?” Kris asked sitting on his desk chair, situated in his old office at Wu Textiles.

Baekhyun, one of his oldest and closest friends, sat on the other side of the desk, eying him confusedly.

Noticing that Kris was serious sent him into a hysteric howling. He laughed without stop and Kris had to stand and put a hand over Baekhyun’s mouth.

“What’s wrong? Have you lost your touch?” Baekhyun composed himself. “So who is the lucky lady?”

“Hyoyeon,” Kris whispered.

“Who?” Baekhyun asked with a smile forming at his lips because he had heard the first time. He had seen this coming and knew an opportunity of making fun of Kris’s situation would not come back again.

“Hyoyeon,” Kris replied again, but still in a hushed tone.

“Who?” Baekhyun insisted with his game.

“Hyoyeon!” Kris finally yelled, angered that he had fallen for Baekhyun’s trap. “Well, are you going to help me or not?”

“Why don’t you just do what you always do when you want a girl?” Baekhyun fixed himself on the chair and started shuffling some papers in front of him, getting ready to leave.

“Obviously I’ve tried but it’s not working.” Kris answered defeated.

“Yeah I think I understand.” Baekhyun raised his eyebrows and gave him a comforting look, but it only worried Kris more.

“What do you mean you understand?” Kris’s eyes almost jumped out of its sockets.

“Well I’ve seen that girl deny a couple of our co-workers. But only Kai, who has been the most rejected, continues to be happily persistent. I’d watch out for him, how many more times will he have to insist before Hyoyeon finally says yes?” Baekhyun said more jokingly than anything, but he wasn’t lying.

The rapid expansion of Wu Textiles had required for the employment of many lawyers throughout the departments and Kai had been one of them.

 Kai, who used to be the textiles department’s personal lawyer, was transferred to the fashion department along with Hyoyeon.

Kris furrowed his brows and kept silent at the revelation. Kai was also another one of Kris’s closest friends and perfectly aware that Hyoyeon was married, so to have Kai pursuing his wife was more than a shock to him; it was infuriating.

“Why is he doing this? He is supposed to be my friend.” Kris asked losing composure, fists beginning to clench at his sides.

“I’m your friend. That didn’t stop me.” Baekhyun tried to ease him with very poor choice of words.

“What!?” A face of betrayal struck Kris’s face.

Baekhyun laughed nervously, “I was kidding, relax.” Baekhyun placed a comforting hand on an almost exploding Kris and couldn’t help but squint his eyes in amusement.

“I think I need to have a talk with those two. What floor is the fashion department in? It’s the seventh right?” Kris fumbled through his desk furiously and reached the door, opening it slightly before he was stopped by Baekhyun.

“What are you doing? Do you think you have rights over her, even if you’re married?” Baekhyun raised his voice.

Baekhyun rarely talked to Hyoyeon. But he knew her well enough to know that Kris was not going to gain anything by going to complain to her about Kai.

Baekhyun had learned to respect Hyoyeon. She may have seemed like a pushover to Kris before he left, but she was anything but.

It was thanks to Hyoyeon’s persistence that X-Text, another textile company was considereing to form a 10 year contract with Wu Textiles, the longest contract that would ever be signed. It was the reason Kris was back in Korea in the first place.

X-Text was a big company, experienced far beyond the years that Wu Textiles had, but it would be up to Kris and his father to convince them to sign the contract.

 For Hyoyeon’s hard earned work, Kris’s father promoted her to the Fashion department of the company.

 “If you just want to sleep with her then forget it; I’m not helping you. But if you’re serious and want to make your marriage work then I will gladly help. So which is it?” Baekhyun asked seriously for the first time that day.

Just as he was about to answer, the door was pushed completely open to reveal a tall, lively brunette.

“Hello Kris, I heard you have been looking for me,” Seohyun, Kris’s ex-girlfriend walked into the office, making an unexpected return, like she owned the place and sat herself on the closest seat to his desk.

Baekhyun recognized her and stood rigid and aghast; while Kris stood delighted at the scene.

“I think I won’t need your help anymore,” Kris whispered at Baekhyun’s side.

 A mischievous smile tugged at Kris’s lips at the thought of a crazy plan slowly fabricating itself inside his head.