One Mind Has Changed

Classic Love Story

21

One Mind Has Changed, Two Heart’s Aflame

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE


Hyoyeon’s breath was coming up short and her heart was pounding so fast, it felt like one long continuous heartbeat and almost like it wasn’t beating at all.

None of Hyoyeon’s limbs were in pain, there was merely the perception that they were and that a terrible cramp was looming in her calves. This is what kept her on edge. 

There was simply no other reason, no alternative, no foundation to the speeding of her pulses being caused by the man currently smothering her senseless.

That word lent illustrations of a grandmother smothering her granddaughter with chocolate chip cookies; a mother smothering her children with sticky embarrassing kisses in front of friends, a boyfriend smothering a girlfriend with flowers.

Jongin wasn’t any of the above, there was nothing innocent about the way he was holding her; one hand curled on the nape of her neck and the other, cold fingers and palm stationary on the curve of her lower back.

Suffocating was more like it.

He’d just whispered something in her ear, leaving a trail of quick, hot breaths to sink down her jaw as his lips pressed to her cheek.

I’m Jongin…your boyfriend.

All of a sudden whatever situation she found herself in wasn’t so pleasant. The man was too good-looking, his scent too overpowering and his gruesome hands too forceful.

She pulled her face back mortified. She was staring straight into the eyes of a hungry wolf, and no sooner was her body swaying backwards like a bowling pin, and then being steadied by the very same claws she was trying to get away from.

“Stop,” Hyoyeon screeched, though she was sure that if he let go she would topple over. “Let me go!”

She wasn’t expecting for him to let go, she was expecting resistance while her mind swarmed with rampant ideas of escape. However, he did obey and just as she had predicted, her legs gave out.

Her imagination ran wild, thinking about bloodying the floor with a body clash to the tiles. But the pain never came, only warmth and a stiff wall to cover her eyes.

“Great,” she groaned inwardly. She was being carried back to bed by a persistent Jongin.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Hyoyeon could hear his tormented whispers. 

Just like that Hyoyeon’s apprehension turned to irritation and she was frowning up at the man muttering more apologies. “Why are you sorry? I told you to let me go,” She said coldly but blushing while her hands clung around his neck.

He didn’t answer as he lowered her on the bed and moved a few steps back, hell bent on avoiding her eyes.

Hyoyeon gave him a scrutinizing look, willing him to look back at her and when it worked she saw hurt in his eyes, a sadness she did not share. Because he looked at her like he knew everything about her, like he could undress and expose her. It was the strange kind of look that made her feel when in fact she had covered herself neck deep with the sheets.

It infuriated her.

She thought maybe she was going insane. Not long ago she was giggling like a child and now she was rivaling the flush of a tomato, directing her anger at Jongin. She didn’t even feel sorry for him. Maybe that’s why she had landed in the hospital, because she was crazy and in a fit of insanity had lost all her memories.

None of it made sense, but this reasoning was the best she could come up with, though it didn’t help to ease her nerves.

If only Jongin had introduced himself as just another passerby, some stranger, because having him there was like opening your eyes and not being able to see.

She wracked her brains for one measly memory and while that attempt was successful, it wouldn’t give her the satisfaction that she needed.

It started with a word; a word that slowly morphed from small connections (in which objects were a blur and people vague) to making out full sceneries. Like the five years’ worth of Christmas trees, all decorated differently, except for the cheap rainbow colored star atop each tree, like the job she held at a rundown coffee shop, where she served in the evenings and at dawn scurried to the job at the 24 hours hamburger joint.

Then there was an unfamiliar couch, which paved way to a garden full of roses and then there wasn’t anymore, the memories stopped and the pain in her legs returned with an excruciating vengeance.

She knew there had to be more. She could practically see the holes in her head.

 “Something is wrong with me!” Hyoyeon cried, centering herself on the bed and rubbing her aching thighs.

“Nothing is wrong with you,” Kai assured her, repressing the urges to touch her, to soothe her. He held his fists at his sides and scuffed to the foot of the bed.

“Why can’t I remember you? Why am I even here?” she assailed him with questions that the memories she recovered couldn’t have answered.

“Hyoyeon I don’t know. Let me call a doctor—“Kai fumbled to the door.

“Where’s my father?!” she whimpered hysterically before he could make it out of the room.

“You remember your father?” he snapped his body around so fast it made her flinch.

 “Yes,” she stuttered. “Where is he?!”

“Hyoyeon I…He—“ Kai droned and shoved his nervous fingers into his pockets. It didn’t comfort him to know she hadn’t regained all her memories. He hadn’t been prepared for that question, and the more he hesitated the closer Hyoyeon edged her shaking knees over the bed.

“Just tell me where he is!” Hyoyeon implored. “Please!”

Although, Kai hadn’t really known Hyoyeon when her father had died; he had been present to the way his death had affected her all those years ago. It had taken him so long to get a sincere smile out of her and was currently weighing on his decision to tell her.

“He’s dead,” Kai said faintly.

“When?” Hyoyeon asked softly with widened eyes.

“Three years ago.”

“The time I’ve been in this bed?” she theorized incorrectly. “It’s my fault isn’t it? I killed him. IT’S MY FAULT! IT’S MY FAULT! IT’S MY FAULT!” She entered into hysterics and almost tipped over the bed.

“Hyoyeon be careful,” Kai cried in horror before he ran over and caught her. He yanked her upright and held her at the shoulders. He didn‘t want to upset her any further and he suspected that if he held her any closer he would cause exactly that.

Hyoyeon however, felt the air from her lungs and the muscles in her legs waver like jelly; she needed something sturdy, something to clutch and damn her no good feeling of apprehension towards Jongin, damned them to hell because she was going to hold on to dear life on him.

She threw her hands around his waist and buried her face into his chest, crying ruthlessly.

She didn’t feel any better, nor like she would anytime soon but it was thanks to him or rather the familiarity of this action, the particular size of his chest, his overpowering smell which she had been cursing not five seconds ago that gave her the stability and the strength to breathe. 

She was ruining his expensive shirt with her muffled cries and salty tears and it somehow felt like she had done this many times before.

It was almost comical, but not quite.

Kai could hear her blaming herself. It’s my fault, she kept repeating.

When he thought she’d cried enough, he slipped one hand down her cheek and tried lifting her chin, but she was stuck to him like glue. The situation really had reached borderline comical, but it was not time to laugh.

He her hair and called out her name softly several times, but she just kept clinging. Any other time he would have been happy, ecstatic to have her like this.

“Hyoyeon, look at me!” He ordered. When their eyes locked he told her simply, but firmly, “You did not kill him.”

 “How then? Why is he dead?” she questioned with broken sighs.

“Heart disease. He died in his sleep three years back. And you had your accident a little less than two years ago. Both incidents aren’t even related so stop blaming yourself.”

“He’s still dead and I can’t even remember!” She trembled, seemingly more tormented by the recounting of her father’s death, than having lost memories or even that she had been strapped to a bed unconscious for almost two years.

“You will.” Kai told her, rubbing small, comforting circles on her back.

“I’m all alone. I don’t have anybody. He was the only person I had left.” She pulled away immediately, noticing how his hands were touching her freely again.

“I’m invisible then?” Kai decided to take offense.

“I don’t even know you,” She contested.

“Yes you do. “ Kai watched her get back into bed and pull the white bed sheets over her body defensively. “You also have the advantage of knowing you got through this once before and you’ll get over it again just as well. “

“Again!? By myself.” She whispered the last bit, putting a hand over . She didn’t want to voice her fears out loud, at least not to him. She hated being alone, but it was one less thing she wanted to give away to Jongin who already knew too much about her.

“But you’re not alone anymore. Aren’t I enough?”

Hyoyeon closed her eyes, fidgeting, uncomfortable with the prospect of answering that question, so she didn’t. “Are you really my boyfriend?”

Kai raised an eyebrow, “At this very moment— only if you want me to.”

“I’d like some space. I’m not ready to resume whatever it is we had and I hope you understand that. I’d even encourage you not to wait for me,” she responded decidedly.

Kai hadn’t been surprised by her answer, but he would be lying if he told himself those words hadn’t affected him. He could actually feel his heart being ripped out of his chest.

He could feel her eager to get rid of him, a rejection he’d felt once too many. But this one would be her last. NO MORE.

He’d be a friend and give her the space that she wanted.  He’d given her up once before. A second time wouldn’t be easier, but if Hyoyeon could get over her father’s death twice, as he knew she would, than he could get over something as silly as an unrequited love.

And this time it was definite. No more pining

There were plenty of girls out there, prettier even (well if he squinted his eyes, he supposed).

 “If that’s what you want,” he said dryly, feeling like someone had punched a fist through his skull. “I’ll go get the doctor then.” Kai walked and stopped under the door frame, curious now that Hyoyeon had revealed she could remember some of her past. “Hyoyeon who else do you remember?”

“My mother,” Hyoyeon said bitterly, remembering the woman who had abandoned her family when she was ten. “And my father’s employer, Mr. Wu and…” Hyoyeon furrowed her eyebrows deep in thought, “…and his son.” 

 “And what do you remember about his son?” he asked tentatively, removing his jacket because the room all of a sudden heated up like a sauna.

“Well, nothing really. I don’t even remember if I’ve ever met him. I just know he’s around my age,” she eyed him curiously, trying to decipher the look on his face. “Why? Was he someone important to me?”

Kai couldn’t afford to express the overwhelming relief, so he just shook his head. “No,” he said without explaining further, he really couldn’t be in there one more second. Hyoyeon could do that to him. Make him happy and then with one word break him. “Just stay put. I’ll go get Dr. Jung for you.”

“It’s not as if I can just walk up and leave,” she bit angrily.

Kai left with his shoulders sagging, but Hyoyeon didn’t notice, nor care, she could finally let her own shoulders sink. She felt like the biggest fool in the world. Her boyfriend had made her blush, cry, yell, and get angry all in the span of minutes.

She could tell this Jongin was going to mean trouble, big, big trouble but maybe if she kept her distance things would be fine.

 

* * *

Kyungsoo and Mr. Wu had continued their unresolved confrontation, still huddled by the empty corridor, one with an amused grin and the other still quite collected.

“Kris leaves today by your influence. No doubt, the chaos at Wu Textiles in China is your dirty work,” Kyungsoo continued his inquisition, determined to get his friend to confirm his suspicions. “Admit it. You’ve had something to do with it. And you don’t want him here, especially now — why? ”

“You think I’d sabotage my own company?” Mr. Wu pointed at himself delicately.

Kyungsoo wanted to laugh, but he shrugged, opting for a very subtle smile that was more ominous than friendly.

Mr. Wu stayed silent and he wasn’t about to be pressured by the nasty grin on Kyungsoo’s face, but within the count of five seconds his expression changed to one of an unhinged maniac. “MY SON HAS GRIEVED LONG ENOUGH FOR THAT STUPID WOMAN! What good awaits him here if she doesn’t wake up? There is no guarantee that she’ll be the same again if she does.”

Kyungsoo grunted, unimpressed by his friend’s horrible acting. “Bull! You don’t give a damn about Kris, you never have.”

To show Kyungsoo that he had grown annoyed with the conversation, Mr. Wu sighed and stared blankly into space, his sophisticated alternative to rolling his eyes. “Then please, do tell what the reason is?” Mr. Wu mocked.

“Gladly,” Kyunsoo laughed with a dramatic gleam in his eye. “You’re not going to tell Jongin you’re the father that abandoned him until you are sure he’s going to forgive you. And what better way than by giving him the girl he’s always wanted. With Kris out of the picture, that should be infinitely times easier for you. How you’ll convince Hyoyeon to stay by his side… I haven’t figured out yet…but how’s that?”

Kyungsoo waited for a reply, but Mr. Wu’s unabashed expression was all the confirmation he needed.

Mr. Wu was the type of parent who didn’t believe in that whole parents love all their children equally crap. He had affection for Kris, but he loved Kai because he was the son he bore with the love of his life. But, clearly he didn’t love Kai enough if he had exiled him into a life with no parents for fear of a little scandal ruining his enterprise.

It would be difficult to convince Hyoyeon to accept Kai. But with a little push, like for example the whereabouts of her loathsome mother had the potential to work miracles. Luckily, Mr. Wu would need to reveal no such type of information.

 

* * *

It was the next day and Hyoyeon was finally feeling a semblance of normalcy.

She had propped her forearms on the window sill watching the heavy rain flood the city below. The grey skies had her attention until Jongin invited himself in and swaggered to the chair behind her.

She ignored him and he ignored her.

After standing for so long she retreated to her bed and watched him sleep comfortably on the chair.

Hyoyeon sneered, annoyed by the sight of him. She turned her back to him and slept. When she woke up hours later he was gone.

 

It rained again the day after that, and Jongin once again came and sat in the same chair. She ignored him and he ignored her.

It was the same for two days after.

 

* * *

After those four very long and boring days Dr. Jung finally spoke privately with Hyoyeon and explained her test results.

Kai later followed Dr. Jung to her office where he received confirmation that Hyoyeon’s memory loss would only be temporary. He couldn’t listen to any more after that. However, among Dr. Jung’s never-ending and boring squawk, he did manage to pick up on one very important piece of information.

“There’s a possibility. There always is in cases like these where temporary could mean \ a month or even years,” she said plainly, blocked to his sight by the computer screen in front of her. “She might not remember ever,” she said a bit too hopeful, refraining from using any medical terms. 

Kai tried looking over her computer screen to confirm exactly what it was she was implying, though he already knew.

He sighed and looked at one of her posters on the wall; it didn’t matter much to him anymore. He was actually counting the days until Hyoyeon remembered something, anything that would end the mess he made of things.  

It seemed Hyoyeon couldn’t even bring herself to speak to him, let alone kick him out.

“When will she stop being so angry?” Kai asked suddenly, ignoring her rambling.  

“Excuse me?”

“I mean, why does she look so afraid sometimes? Are the mood swings normal?”

She laughed. “Why do you sound so surprised? Don’t people usually get scared when they encounter a snake?” she said derisively.

“You’re one to talk,” he countered almost immediately.

“But I’m not betraying anyone. Hyoyeon doesn’t happen to be my best friend. In any case isn’t anger her usual behavior towards you. I heard she almost fired you once.”

Kai narrowed his eyes and frowned at the woman currently belittling him. His knees were shaking even from a sitting position.

“That’s right, I’ve heard all about your little obsession,” she laughed again.

“And I’ve heard about yours. Is that why you’ve settled for the older Wu?” Kai asked amused, staring victoriously at the way her face dropped.

“Get out!” she yelled, grabbing him by the arm and dragging him across the room. She wasn’t going to let anybody raise false accusations.

“I bet she can feel it. She can feel that you’re lying and when she does figure it out she’s going to hate you forever,” Dr. Jung warned belligerently, before slamming her door.

 

Jongin walked out of the hospital and into his car smirking, he honestly couldn’t give one about what Dr. Jung thought about him. In all honesty, lying had been worth one kiss from Hyoyeon.

He hadn’t stopped thinking about it, so what? Just because he wasn’t going to get in the way of the supposed HyoKris epic love anymore, did not mean he needed to suppress his memories.

It wasn’t like Kris was even answering his phone calls, so how could he even right his wrongs at the moment. Keeping her company just seemed like the most logical thing to do.  What was the worst that could happen? He wouldn’t be hurting anyone; his heart was the only one breaking in two.

 

* * *

On her sixth day awake, there seemed to be rain and thunder only to mock her mood.

Hyoyeon couldn’t quite pinpoint the reason for her anger towards Jongin. He was irritating her now more than at the beginning.

Jongin, the tall, broad shouldered man that had given her a really, really nice kiss and called himself her boyfriend was very quiet and mysterious, alluring aspects that were supposed to charm a woman but that only served to antagonize her.

He, however being true to his word of giving her space hadn’t tried to kiss her or anything since then, not a single thing.  Not one.

And Hyoyeon was definitely not annoyed by this, no, not at all. She just couldn’t understand why he kept coming back if he lacked the wits for any sort of stimulating conversation. He was more than useless, always looking so worn with dark circles under his lashes and short tired breaths as the only form of provision. 

Being stuck in the room for a week with no one, but that man, was driving her crazy. So to pass time wisely, she thought about him, a lot. Only to study and determine, of course, exactly what it was about Jongin that ticked her off. 

It maybe had to do with the way Jongin always strutted in to the room with the same leather jacket and a replica of the white collared shirt she’d first seen him in, buttoned all the way up, every time, not one button undone.

Or that he had prim, clean brown hair that looked like what fluffy pillows should be made of.

Maybe it was the way he sat with his long legs spread out and his hands draping smugly over the armrests.

It could also have been from the way he was never consistent with which hole of his belt he used; the silver pin in his buckle always alternating between the third or the fourth hole, but never on the same one. And for ’s sake, why was she even looking down there?

She stopped trying to notice these things, finding that it was easier said than done.

However, when his creepy uncle Kyungsoo started to make random appearances, she kept the staring at a minimum and only kept the corner of her eye sneakily trained on whatever it was Jongin decided to distract her with that day.

And what was worse was that if yesterday’s incident had been any indication, she was growing a dependency, she liked to call it.

He had been leaning on the counter by the window with his hands crossed in front of him. She had been sitting on her bed with her head down low picking on her nails when she heard a thunk beside her.

“You know you can tell me to leave if you want me to,” he had said, “My feelings won’t get hurt if that’s what you’re worried about.”

Yeah right? Like she could ever care about his feelings when he didn’t care about hers. She had asked for space not for complete annihilation.

Hyoyeon had always been the chatty kind in high school, any form of silence usually bothered her, and so the daily atmosphere of her room was torture. Whether he was there or not, the room was always in constant silence. There would be no distinction with or without his presence. She didn’t care if he left.

She really didn’t.

“I swear I’ll stop bothering you. I won’t come anymore,” he interrupted her thoughts, putting his hands on the armrests as if ready to leave.

“Don’t,” she said hurriedly, but so softly that she was positive he hadn’t heard. However she had reached out and dug her nails so deep into his wrist, it was difficult not to recognize the move as anything other than desperate.

“Do you mean don’t as do not ever come back or don’t as in do not go?” he mused, apparently entertained by the idea she might not want him to leave.

Hyoyeon, however failed to see the hilarity. “Don’t as in do not let my attitude dictate what you want to do. Stay or go, makes no difference to me,” she replied crudely.

Jongin raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. “And here I thought you were enjoying my company. If that’s the case then I think I’ll…” Jongin took a break and watched from the corner of his eyes how Hyoyeon had parted her lips slightly and was watching him intently, hanging on his pause, “…stay.”

He didn’t look at her to see a response; he simply resumed his position on the chair and stayed.

If Jongin had looked he would have seen Hyoyeon had closed and fixed her eyes on the wall, blushing.

For a moment she thought he would have seen the paranoia flaring in her eyes and the reddening in her cheeks that had been caused by an inexplicable amount of relief.

And if Hyoyeon had turned and looked at Jongin, she would have seen him studying the crescent marks that her nails had left on his wrist and that he had allowed himself to smile.

* * *

The next morning Hyoyeon kept her eyes closed, pretending sleep so she could hear what all the fuss around her was about. She recognized both voices, one belonged to her nurse, the young Ms. Jung and the other, a deep tone that was usually quiet to Jongin.

“These flowers are really pretty. What kind are they?” she heard the nurse say.

“Her favorite,” Jongin answered and Hyoyeon almost puked at the way the nurse giggled at his response like she’d just heard the funniest joke ever to be invented. 

Now that Hyoyeon thought about it, Nurse Jung had been spending way too much time in her room, even at times when she wasn’t needed and the reason for it was becoming quite obvious.

Hyoyeon continued to analyze the situation in her head while Jongin kept quiet, but the silence didn’t last long as Nurse Jung finally spoke. “Well it’s really nice of you to come visit your sister every day. It’s good to see that there are still really nice men like yourself who are willing to take care of their family.”

Willing? It wasn’t like anyone was forcing him to come visit her; she wasn’t a charity case and Sister?!

Hyoyeon decided to peak, immediately wishing she hadn’t.

It wasn’t anything indecent, but the way the nurse had a hand clinging on Jongin’s arm made Hyoyeon’s insides squirm, serving to reinforce the nausea.

And why would that silly nurse think that Jongin is her brother? Better yet, why hadn’t he bothered to correct her?

“Have you been working here long?” Jongin asked.

“Long enough,” She said, unintentionally bored.

“Why do you say it like that? You don’t like working here?”

“I think I got somewhat involved in this profession because of my sister, but I’m still not entirely sure that it’s not what I wanted. Sometimes I get in trouble for appearing too distant and anti-social and it makes me want to reconsider,” she sounded sullen.

“I’m impressed by the lone fact that you are nothing like your sister. Whoever said you’re anti-social is clearly not in their right mind,” Jongin said animatedly.

“They actually say I’m far worse than my sister. You’re clearly the one who’s not in their right mind. I like it,” Nurse Jung giggled, again.

Wonderful, now they were both flirting. Hyoyeon wished she could plug her ears.

In the course of the most boring conversation Hyoyeon had ever heard she learned that both their careers were so different, but that they still had so much in common. They spoke fluidly, easily switching between topics and laughing while doing it.

Jongin never made an effort to laugh with her, like he did so effortlessly with the nurse.

Hyoyeon was going to be sick. Clearly she hadn’t returned to normalcy like she had originally thought.

She was almost sure she was coming down with the flu or a fever, because her stomach was churning, her cheeks were heated and her eyes were tearing. Whatever she was catching, she didn’t like it and she needed medicine quick.

The longer Jongin and the nurse continued on with their chat, the worse Hyoyeon felt.

Tired of listening she forced herself to sleep and drifted off with a knot in .   

* * *

Kai glared at his phone, so intently as if doing so could will the person on the other side to pick up the call.

“Hmmm?” Kyungsoo sneaked up behind his nephew. “What are you doing?” Kyungsoo added innocently.

Kai shoved his cellphone into his pocket and headed to the hospitals entrance with all intention of ignoring his uncle.

“Why are you running from me?” Kyungsoo forcefully pulled his nephew before he could even place one foot beyond the sliding glass doors. 

“I’m not.” Kai hissed at his uncle. 

“Looks like you are,” Kyungsoo countered, taking a seat on a bench and motioning for his nephew to sit with him.

“Whatever. What do you want?” Kai followed and prepared himself for what would surely be another confrontation with his uncle.

Kyungsoo inhaled long, deeply and loudly, hesitating with a look that frankly didn’t suit him, not since he was always so self-assured. It made Jongin feel uneasy when his uncle finally spoke. “Don’t tell Kris.”

Kai narrowed his eyes and flashed him an uncertain look. “I wasn’t—“

“Right, the person you were calling right now, wasn’t Kris,” his uncle stated with a tone of mock belief.

“It’s none of your business,” Kai fumed.

“I suppose not,” Kyungsoo rubbed his chin. “But what happened to I’m done playing nice and it wouldn’t be the first time I take something away from Kris,” his uncle mimicked the words from a conversation they had had over a week ago. “I didn’t know my nephew was such a coward; all bark and no bite. You disappoint me.”

 “Don’t you know? I live to disappoint,” Jongin uttered softly.

“Oh stop it with the pity party, the guilty look doesn’t suit you,” Kyungsoo scolded. “Take her home, do whatever it is you were going to do or tell her the truth already.”

“Stop talking about her like she’s an object. You and Mr. Wu are always talking about her like she’s below everybody when its people like me that don’t deserve her,” Kai scowled.

“Is that why you were calling Kris? You think he deserves her?” his uncle questioned calmly.

“I WOULDN’T WANT HER TO HATE ME!” Kai barked. “I’d rather have her as a friend than not at all.”

“Resorted to quoting dramas, I see,” Kyungsoo laughed derisively. 

“Don’t you ing mock me! Don’t you think that what I’m doing is disgusting?” Jongin tilted his head, asking his uncle sincerely. “No of course you wouldn’t. You’re probably proud.”

“A little,” Kyungsoo continued to mock.

 Jongin shook his head, using his fingers to rake his hair back while his cheeks flared red from frustration.  “I need to tell Kris. He needs to know Hyoyeon is awake.” Kai took out his cellphone and started to dial again.

“Stop!” Kyungsoo snatched the cellphone away and put it in his coat pocket. “That’s the guilt still speaking and you want to clear your conscience, I get it. But, I mean if you want to talk about who deserves who well then Hyoyeon practically forced herself on Kris, so don‘t paint her to me like some sort of saint.”

“Hyoyeon was in love. No one can really blame her. By your logic I’m doing the same by forcing myself onto her,” Kai claimed.

“I would say you don‘t even have to try that hard,” Kyungsoo said amused keeping some details to himself, and shrugged it off. “And what about Kris? That boy is one piece of work. I doubt he knows what guilt even means. You know that Kris did quite a couple of things while he was away. Two years gone and you think he stayed abstinent, you think he stayed faithful to her?” Kyungsoo continued to prod.

“There was one girl I think. And it’s a maybe, I’m not even sure. Besides he didn’t love Hyoyeon back then.”

“You think it was one?!” Kyungsoo laughed incredulously. “, Jongin even if it were only one, we both know that’s no excuse. Did you see or hear about Hyoyeon sleeping around?”

Kai kept quiet, entranced, but Kyungsoo snapped him out of it. “Or what have you already slept with her before?”

“No! Of course not,” Kai shouted in her defense. “Hyoyeon isn’t like that.”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes; his nephew sure was stubborn when it came to that girl. “Look all I’m saying is don’t be a coward, give up and tell her the truth or buck the up.”

Kai let exasperated tears spill into the palms of his hands. “I don’t want to lose her again,” his voice cracked.

Kyungsoo very rarely felt compassion for anyone, but the sincerity in his nephew’s tears moved him just a little. He tried soothing Kai with an observation he had made when he visited the girl himself two days ago. “Look, it doesn’t matter if you decide to tell her the truth or not. Whichever it is you decide to do will give you the same end results.”

“What end result are you talking about?” Kai furrowed his eyebrows, annoyed by his uncle’s way of speaking in riddles.

“It doesn’t matter. You don’t need to understand yet, just that she might not be totally disinterested so stop trying to give up.”

After that there was a very long lapse of silence between the two.

“She’s married,” Kai responded as if that was all the reminding he needed to give up.

“Nothing a few checks can’t fix.” Kyungsoo suggested playfully, patting his nephew’s head.

 “Thanks,” Jongin laughed.

“For what?”

“For cheering me up, albeit it’s creepy, sick and makes me feel a bit nauseous,” Jongin said teasingly.

“Oh, why thank you. Just what an uncle always wants to hear from their nephew.”

“You’re welcome. I know how negative words make you feel all tingly inside,” Jongin mocked.

Kyungsoo yawned and then wiped his tired eyes. “I’d rather you thank me by having a drink with me.”

Jongin pursed his lips and looked to be genuinely considering. “Yeah why not? I’ll just visit Hyoyeon later.”

“No, don’t do that,” Kyungsoo blurted rapidly.

“What? Why not?” Jongin asked confused.

“Don’t come tomorrow either.”

Jongin rolled his eyes. “You tell me I should man up and tell her the truth, but you also indirectly tell me not to give up. You tell me not to tell Kris. Now you want me to stay away? Sorry, but I’m not following. I’m not fluent in whatever code it is you and Mr. Wu have developed. I don’t speak satanic.”

“Ha, ha, very funny. Look I know you don’t like taking orders, especially not from me. But just do what I tell you. Just give her two days.”

There was no pleading in his eyes, nor any sign that he was joking, but he did express sincere aptitude for the request. Jongin grew suspicious. “Two days? For what? You’re scheming again aren’t you?”

“Well longer than two days would be ideal, but I doubt you’d be able to stay away for that long,” Kyungsoo said.

“Everytime you speak, I trust you that much more,” Jongin felt the need to be sarcastic.

“I’m trying to help you, you ungrateful brat,” Kyungsoo said gruffly.

“I highly doubt that, but seeing as Hyoyeon doesn’t really want me here, I’d probably be doing her a favor,” Jongin’s voice came out strangled.

“You really are blind aren’t you?” Kyungsoo asked with a level of amusement just not apparent to his nephew.

“Whatever that means, let’s just get that drink before I change my mind,” Jongin flattened the creases on his jacket and stood.

“No, definitely not,” Kyungsoo steered his nephew towards the parking lot. “You’d probably just go into her room and continue to mope around, ruining my plan.”

“Oh so you are planning.”

“Of course I am. I always have a plan. And when you go back into her room after two days of absence I want you to look and I mean really look at her.”

“And what exactly is it I’m supposed to be looking for?”

“That’s what you’re going to be telling me.”

Jongin put a hand across his forehead and drew it down his cheek, pulling on skin. “I’m going to develop a terminal disease just trying to figure out what the hell you mean.”

“Sadly, I think you’re right.” Kyungsoo slapped a hand on his nephews shoulder and guided him to his car. “You’re completely oblivious. Let’s go. I can already feel a headache on my horizon.”


Author’s Note: Sorry for taking so long to update. I’m a very slow writer. I edited as best as I could, but there might still be mistakes and confusing parts. Anyways hopefully you enjoyed this chapter and thanks to those who’ve stuck to this story and will continue until the end. So, tell me what you think?