Three of Us

First Love 2 : Perfect Two

 

 

 

 chapter SIX 

 Three of Us

 

________________________________________

 

"What are you doing here, L?"

 

"Ahjumma! Give one more mul naengmyeon, please!" he shouted the order which caught the attention of the ahjumma. "What else would I be doing here? Dinner of course."

 

Kai narrowed his eyes at the latter, he was not pleased with Myungsoo's sudden appearance. I couldn't be any more different. What was he doing here, really? He just showed up too suddenly here, I mean there are like dozens of other places, but why here? It seemed a little bit too fishy to be just a plain coincidence. Plus, I had known this guy for years. He was smirking, in victory, and that couldn't mean something good. 

 

"Why here, though?" Kai was still unsatisfied with Myungsoo's ignorance.

 

"Yah isn't here the famous noodle house? Is it wrong for me to eat good food or do you just hate me that much?"

 

"And you came alone? Where are your frat brothers?" I inquired suspiciously. Myungsoo was never the kind to eat alone. He is the people person kind of type. Always so lively and loves being around people

 

"Uh...they asked me to take out the noodles back to the house. Everyone's busy so I just had to come alone," he smiled sheepishly. That tone of hesitation he had was really starting to make me doubt his real motive. 

 

The cold noodles arrived just in time. As for me, my eyes were immediately glued to the bowl of cold, cold water noodles, topped with other garnishes which made my mouth water. I completely forgot about Myungsoo and started to dig in with the chopsticks in my hand. Once the cold sensation lingered in my mouth, I closed my eyes while chewing the noodles, savoring every taste of it. This is just heaven, really. What could be better than this hand-made noodles in hand-made, slow-cooked broth? No wonder this is the famous noodle house every blogger had recommended before.

 

Still chewing away the goodness of the cold noodles, I shot my eyes opened only to be meet with two pairs of eyes staring at me intently. Urm, okay, this is awkward. Why are they both staring at me? Food is right in front of their eyes and they haven't even grabbed their chopsticks. "What?"

 

Instantly, they were brought back down to reality as they scurriedly grab hold of the metal utensils and started to devour the noodles. They kept on eating and eating, not even bother to make any eye contact with me anymore. Weird, I thought. Really weird. Am I surrounding myself with a bunch of weirdos nowadays?

 

Throughout the whole dinner, no one talked. I didn't know why. My excuse was the noodles. Blame it for being so delicious. But I didn't know why Kai and Myungsoo were being silent too. It was dead awkward, let me tell you. Like I could hear crickets in the background albeit the noise coming from the noodle house itself. At times, I caught Kai glaring at Myungsoo and vice versa. When Myungsoo noticed and locked his eyes with mine, I made a disapproving look at him. His glare seemed like he wanted to murder the poor guy. 

 

"Ah, this is the best thing I've eaten this week!" surprisingly I was the one to break the ice.

 

"Told ya this is the best noodle place around here," Kai crossed his arms and leaned back to the chair. His signature smirk faded away the moment Myungsoo interrupted, "It is famous not for nothing."

 

"I'm sorry but are you two close? Do you guys even know each other?" Kai blurted out the one question that he seemingly been itching to ask. He was now leaning forward, looking at me and Myungsoo. "Eo?" I was taken aback slightly and the only thing I managed to do was blink at him back. What made him say so? I was pretty sure Myungsoo didn't talk much with me except when he first got here. 

 

"Yes, we are close. In fact, we came from the same high school. Right, Soojung-ah?" He instinctively placed his hand on top of mine, his eyes stared straight into my own. I became even more shocked when he did so since it felt like electricity literally surged in my veins. I was taken away from reality at the time, the only thing I could do was to stare back into his dark brown orbs. I felt like I wasn't even blinking, but that could just be me, really. 

 

"Right, Soojung-ah?" he repeated, this time his other hand was waving in front of me which snapped me back to reality. Like my brain just started to function again, I replied, "Eo-eo. Yeah, same high school."

 

"You're not dating are you? Because..." Kai trailed off to which his gaze was fixed on Myungsoo's hand naturally touching mine. His hand retracted back and so did mine. It made the situation a lot worse but I was sure to deny the most impossible thing to happen. "No, no, no. We're not. Not dating. Totally not! Yeah, I mean no, we're not."

 

That didn't came out as firm as I thought. Damn it, Jung Soojung, why are you making it obvious that you are flustered? Ugh, what's wrong with me?

 

"Well, let's get going then. Ahjumma! Bill, please!" Kai had already opened his wallet, ready to pay it off. But when the ahjumma arrived with the bill, Myungsoo handed out the money first before Kai even manage to do so. I could tell Kai was flustered by his sudden action that he secretly stashed back his money back into his wallet. Just then, Myungsoo smirked again. That mischievious smirk of his in victory. Was treating people to dinner something to be competitive about? 

 

Kai opened the door for me, leading to the outside where the night was getting darker. Myungsoo followed silently behind but I could feel that he was twitching to say something. Why was he acting like this anyways? Like a third-wheeler? Not that we were on a date or anything, but still, his actions felt like they were meant to be disturbing. It was like his mission then, a mission to be a nuisance for the two of us. The question here is why?

 

"Hey, you want to catch a movie?" Kai stopped right in front of his motorbike, his hands were now firmly put in his pockets. "Now?" I inquired, oblivious to what he meant. It was half past eight, watching a movie meant another two hours plus. I didn't have any problem staying out late at night, it was just that I barely knew Kai. But the two of us watching a movie alone? Wouldn't that be awkward? "Yeah now. What? You want to wait until next month?" he shot back sarcastically.

 

I rolled my eyes at this. "Fine. What movie?"

 

"The Fault in Our Stars. I was supposed to watch it with Sehun but he said it's better to go watch it with a girl. You're like the only girl now, so yeah."

 

I stifled a laughter but when his expression didn't budge, I stared at him weirdly. "You like chick flicks? What? A fan of John Green or something?"

 

"It's a chick flick?"

 

"No, it's about some world war three between zombies and aliens," I looked at him, uninterested. When he seemed lost, I just sighed in frustration due to his ignorance. "It's a chick flick that's going to make you cry your eyes out."

 

"Really? That's why Sehun has been forcing me to watch it. He must've wanna see me cry. Ha! Not gonna happen," he mentally imagined Sehun who was probably making him go see it just to witness if he would cry over the supposedly best-selling book turned movie. "You don't cry when watching movies?" I inquired and he turned to me while chuckling. "I'm a man. I don't cry over movies." I scoffed at his cockiness but then an idea popped into my mind. The Fault in Our Stars might just be the way to prove him wrong. I had heard people bringing boxes and boxes of tissues when watching it and even by watching the trailer I was sure it would make even the 'manliest' guy like him cry a river.

 

I smiled mischieviously. "Let's go watch it, then."

 

"I'm coming too," Myungsoo chimed in. Both of us turned back to look at him still standing, and I was sure he heard our conversation earlier. I forgot the fact that he was still there and now he wanted to follow us watch a chick flick? Something is seriously wrong with him.

 

"If it's okay with you," Kai's eyes trailed to me, looking for confirmation. But before I could even utter a reply, Myungsoo already did. "Of course she's fine with it. Right, Soojung?" I merely nodded, didn't see a reason why I won't be okay with him interrupting there. "Let's go then," Kai handed me the other helmet, the same one I wore when we came here. He has a motorbike, not a car, but somehow riding it was more fun and exhilarating.

 

Just as I was about to accept his offering, Myungsoo grabbed my hand and offered his ride instead. "Why don't you just go with me? I brought my car."

 

"Urm, no dude, she came with me. She'd go to the cinemas with me too," Kai was slowly clenching his jaw then.

 

"It's safer to ride in a car. She's a girl, it's not right to ride a bike with some stranger."

 

"Stranger? Aish, you are really doing this on purpose, man? She's coming with me!" Kai swatted Myungsoo's hand away, he was now grabbing my wrist forcefully.

 

"No, she's coming with me!" Myungsoo grabbed my other hand, also with the same amount of force Kai did. 

 

"Me!" Kai pulled me towards his side and my body immediately obliged. Myungsoo pursed his lips into a straight line and glared at Kai as he pulled me to his side now. And so began the tug-of-war game with me being in the middle. Left, right, left, right. Kai, Myungsoo, Kai, then back to Myungsoo. My arms felt like they were going to fall off, really! Ouch, ouch! These two were really getting on my nerves now!

 

"Stop!" I shouted as I let go both hands holding mine. Kai and Myungsoo seemed startled, they must had been too engrossed in fighting that they didn't notice I wasn't some object to be forced like that. Oh my god, stupid god damn rivalry. "Will you two cut it? Just rock-paper-scissors or something," I grimaced. What? I didn't know who to choose either and that felt like the only fair way to stop these two from acting like two five-year-olds fighting over a robot Gundam. But I'm not some robot toy they could fight for.

 

"Whatever Soojung says," Myungsoo shrugged. "Rock-paper scissors!" both of them shouted enthusiastically. I was mistaken, maybe they were kids afterall. Weird pair of kids.

 

"Assa! Let's go Soojung," Myungsoo smiled triumphantly as if he won some huge tournament. He grabbed my hand and led me to his car, with Kai having a crestfallen expression as he stared at his 'rock.' I heard him mumble, "Aish, men are supposed to do 'rock.' Not some paper, tch." I chuckled, he seemed like he wanted to win so badly. 

 

I didn't know if Myungsoo was always this polite or if it was the Americans that turned him into a gentleman, but he was starting to get...nicer? He opened the door for me and even closed it. He made sure I had my seatbelt on before we hit the road. He was even asking me to choose whatever channel on the radio that I preferred. Like urm, was this really Myungsoo? The Kim Myungsoo? He wasn't the worst bad boy in school, but he certainly wasn't this nice either. Did someone brainwashed him, or maybe, oh, split personality disorder? I eyed him suspiciously, Myungsoo was just too full of surprises nowadays.

 

"Myungsoo, why did you really come to the noodle house earlier?"

 

His humming of the song that was played on the radio stopped. He turned to look at me, slightly taken aback by my question. After a while he resumed humming though, putting on a relaxed expression once again. "To have dinner, of course. I told you that."

 

"Why did you really come? It's too weird to just be a coincidence," I drawled. My gaze had been fixed on him ever since, I wasn't even budging. 

 

He put on a smile, "This world is small, Soojung. How can you be so sure?" But being the Jung Soojung who knew Kim Myungsoo ever since she was 14, I knew better. It was one of his fake smiles. He was feeling uncomfortable by my question, I could sense it. I could see through him and I knew he was lying to me right then. It kind of frustrated me that he did. Why would he? Was I that easy to be lied to? Just tell me the truth, Kim Myungsoo.

 

"Fine. If you want to act like you don't know anything, then go ahead," I turned to face the front, my arms were crossed as I frowned. I kept silent as if my lips were locked and the key to it was thrown away. It was on purpose. Yes, I am angry that he lied. And yes, I was trying to get that message across.

 

He sighed heavily. It took him another minute before he finally confessed, "So it might not be so much of a coincidence. I might have...followed you guys?"

 

"What?!" I turned back to him shocked albeit that was the answer I was sort of expecting. He was biting his lip and fidgeting, those were enough to charge him with guilty. 

 

"I wanted to ask you out to dinner first but I saw that douchebag already offering you his ride. I followed and then I saw you guys in that noodle house. I'm just so sorry, Soojung-ah. I didn't even know why I acted like that in the first place," he kept his focus on the road but I could tell his apology was sincere. "Are you...mad?"

 

I glanced at him and sighed. There was just this one thing about Kim Myungsoo. No matter how mad I was at him, he would always be able to cool it down. Even from back then, he would always know how to make me not mad at him. It's weird and illogical, but it's the truth. He is the only person capable of doing such and I couldn't help but to just forgive him afterwards. Like what I'm going to do now.

 

"No. Just don't be such a creep stalker or a psycho third-wheeler next time. You can always ask me next time, you know."

 

He laughed at my comment. Probably realizing how true my words were. "I'm just not really sure whether you'd say yes. It's been forever since we went out together."

 

"You might want to try something called asking before assuming. Who says I'd say no?"

 

He glanced at me and smiled satisfiedly. "Next time, I'll ask."

 

heart-divider.png

 

"Three tickets please," I was in charge in buying the tickets with Myungsoo. He did involve in making sure he was the one to go with me ( after another round of rock-paper-scissors). Either Kai was really bad at that game or Myungsoo was just plain lucky.

 

"Yeah, those three in the middle," Myungsoo pointed to the seats preferred and the lady at the counter quickly processed our tickets. Myungsoo once again paid the tickets, he somehow insisted that's what a gentleman would do. Pfft, not that he is one. Or maybe he is? He was slowly turning to become one, though. He had to agree with treating Kai too, with a very heart definitely.

 

We walked out of line and went towards the huge poster displayed. It was the poster for the movie we were going to watch, they did a huge effort in promoting it for sure. Tickets were selling like hot cakes, we were lucky to even get a seat. Everyone else were posing in front of the poster, mostly were lovers, I could tell. Couples hugging, kissing on the cheek, cuddling, etc ( insert any other sort of skinship ).

 

Kai came to us with a large popcorn in one hand and a plastic bag with drinks on the other. "Long line?" I inquired. "Nah, it was okay," he shook it off as I tried to help him carry the drinks. Myungsoo snatched the plastic bag away from me though and acted like nothing happened. Kim Myungsoo, seriously? You could just ask nicely to help me help Kai carry it. 

 

"Soojungie?" 

 

All of us turned instinctively towards the direction of the voice. I brightened up at the sight of them, wasn't expecting to see them here. "Jiyoung-ah! Jonghyunnie!" I greeted excitedly as I fluttered towards the two lovebirds. Jiyoung and I hugged it out albeit the fact that we just met during the reunion the other day. Hey, we're girls. We'd get excited seeing each other even after one hour of parting. 

 

"No hug for me?" Jonghyun jokingly opened his arms to which he earned a hit on the arm by his girlfriend.

 

"What are you doing here, dude?" Myungsoo was just as happy to see Jonghyun. He had that genuine smile on his face. It felt good seeing him smile like that.

 

"What else? Jiyoung had been begging me to take her to watch what? Something wrong with the stars or something...related with stars?" He tried recalling the title. It was obvious he had the least of interest in this soapy romance movies. "The Fault in Our Stars?" Myungsoo clarified his confusion. "Yeah! That's it. Wait, don't tell me Soojung's making you watch it too?"

 

I scoffed, what do you think I am, Jonghyun? I mean I do want to watch that movie, but I don't go as far as forcing Myungsoo to watch it with me. Plus, this wasn't even my idea in the first place! 

 

"Nah, the three of us came to watch it together," Myungsoo waved it off and Kai slightly nodded at Jonghyun and Jiyoung.

 

"Well, let's all go in together, then. The movie's about to start," Jonghyun ushered for all of us to go inside. Kai and Jonghyun flashed the tickets to be teared at the perforated end and I walked linking arms with Jiyoung behind the guys. Just before entering the hall, Jiyoung excused us to the ladies. At that moment, I knew what she was going to do. Interrogation time with a little bit of teasing. My friends are just so predictable.

 

"Is that Tan Guy? The hot guy Sulli described?" question number one had been shot towards my direction.

 

"Of course she did. His name is Kai and please don't call him Hot Tan Guy or whatsoever or that would be downright embarassing," I warned.

 

"Okay, okay. But why are you with Kai and Myungsoo at the same time?"

 

"You tell me. I was with Kai but Myungsoo just decided to tag along," I rolled my eyes.

 

Jiyoung on the other hand smirked as if she figured it all out. But surprisingly, she didn't confide in with whatever she was thinking. "Let's go. The movie is probably starting now."

 

Throughout the movie, I had to admit my eyes had a hard time keeping dry. It was like getting watery by the second, their love was just too beautiful albeit Hazel was going to die anytime. It was nice to see the guy though, made me think if I ever was going to find someone like him. Someone as devoted and caring, someone who could love me for who I am, someone like Augustus Waters. Is that too much to ask? Maybe. But I'm human and I want to be loved. Suffering this disease called first love that is one-sided . And to think that first love is right next to me made the whole idea of love seemed ridiculous. 

 

But then again, I could never guess the game fate was playing. Even if I lose, I wouldn't know if that's the best or worse for me. Again, fate is such a mystery.

 

Kai, the proclaimed manliest among all of us shed a few tears in between. I glanced at him every now and then during the movie when I wasn't daydreaming about finding my own Augustus Waters. And yes, Kai finally did cry over a chick flick. Mission accomplished.

 

heart-divider.png

 

"That's so boring! It's like crying all the time," Jonghyun stretched his arms as we walked out of the hall. Jiyoung scoffed at her boyfriend and rolled her eyes. "Yeah right, you keep on asking me for the tissues."

 

"Jagiya! You're not supposed to tell that aloud!"

 

"Oops, my bad," she sarcastically said it to his face and walked past him confidently. The latter gaped at her actions, obviously Jiyoung isn't the kind of a girl that would do that. Didn't see that coming huh, Jonghyun? 10 points for Jiyoung for being cool while making her boyfriend suffer public humiliation. 

 

"Gotta say though, that movie is pretty moving," Kai admitted. I was quite shocked that he had the guts to say it, although he didn't really confess that he cried. But still, boys are always like acting tough and like they're not affected by sad movies when in fact you could hear their whimper the whole time the movie was playing. Maybe he is manly after all. Impressive, Kkamjong, impressive.

 

"If I was him, I'd do the same thing. Cherish every moment with the girl I love," Myungsoo suddenly changed the topic to giving personal opinions. I raised an eyebrow and all he did was smiled sheepishly at me. "Aren't all men like that? Right, Kai?"

 

"True. I'd do anything for the girl I love."

 

"Oh so now you guys are on the same page?" I pointed out. They both realized and as if it was something forbidden they immediately denied. "No, no," Kai furiously shook his head. "It's a general thing all guys would agree," Myungsoo defended himself. "Yea, totally," Kai blurted but then they realized that they were agreeing again. Seriously, there is nothing wrong in having the same opinion as your rival? Or enemies for that even. It's not a sin or anything.

 

"We'd be going then. Myungsoo, you're sending her home, right man?" Jonghyun looked at him for confirmation and as expected, Myungsoo nodded. He slung an arm around me, almost too casually. My eyes bulged, I could feel that tingling electricity again. 

 

"Who said so? She's coming with me now," Kai declared as if I was some sort of princess on the run. Jiyoung's ears perked up as she noticed the fire in Kai's eyes. She was probably hoping they'd fight over me just so she could fangirl non-stop later. She'd be all like, "Oh my god, Soojung! Lucky you, having two hot guys fighting over you. I wish Jonghyun would fight with someone over me." Yup, I'm positive she would say that.

 

"No, she's good with me. You can go ahead first. I'm sure you're dead tired," Myungsoo tightened his embrace around me as Kai did the same with his jaw. He was clenching his teeth and had the same deadly look in the noodle house earlier. It made me feel uncomfortable somehow. I didn't want some world war to erupt just after crying a river after watching a chick flick earlier. That would be headline-worthy.

 

I removed his arm and stepped over towards Jiyoung and Jonghyun. "Thanks for the rides, guys. But I think I'm going to go with them this time," I tried to sound confident, hoping they wouldn't rebuke my decision then.

 

As if sensing my S.O.S. , Jiyoung agreed, "Yeah. You guys should go ahead first. Soojung and I have some more girl talk to do." Thankfully, the excuse was enough for them to let me go back with Jiyoung and Jonghyun. I sighed in relief when the two chodings retreated and went off after saying their goodbyes to me. "Come on, let's go," Jiyoung gestured for me to follow them to Jonghyun's car parked just outside the south exit.

 

Inside the car, I kept on thinking about Myungsoo and Kai. Why were they so weird today? Oh wait, Myungsoo is always like that, but Kai? Or maybe that is his real side and I'm the only one who's starting to learn about it. I knew they're rivals and all, but it seems like they wanted to compete in every single thing? Not just fraternity-related stuff, but also anything that was possible. 

 

I was seating in the backseat, looking like the third-wheeler Myungsoo was earlier. I had no choice, though. This was better than getting stuck in the middle of two 19 year-olds who act like 9 year-olds instead. Jonghyun was driving while occasionally singing to Taeyang's latest hit. Jiyoung who was on his side was playing something on her phone although I couldn't quite decipher what was it.

 

"Interesting lovelife you have Soojung. You're like the first friend I know that is in a love triangle like the ones in dramas," Jonghyun had stopped singing by the time albeit 'Eyes, Nose & Lips' was still playing in the background. Jiyoung even put her phone away and focused since she could know where this was going.

 

"Ha-ha. Should I say I'm grateful, then?" I finally broke out of my silence mode.

 

"Jonghyun means it, Soojung-ah. If this continues, you are going to have a hard time picking between the two," Jiyoung agreed. This is highly unfair, two against one, and to add the two are a couple, of course I'd never win!

 

"She should pick Myungsoo, babe. What are you talking about?"

 

"She should pick whoever she feels happy with. And we, as her friends, will support her decision. Understand?" at times like these, I felt like Jiyoung had the upper hand than him.

 

"I won't pick or whatever okay."

 

"So you don't like Kai? Or still have leftover feelings for Myungsoo?" Jonghyun shot the deadly question straight at me. It was like a poisonous bow that was heading towards me and I couldn't even dodge. It hit right at the pit of my stomach. Somewhat like the bitter truth. It hurt but it was also the reality.

 

Silence. I wanted to protest but I couldn't. My lips parted, but no words came out of my mouth. I was speechless. I didn't even know what to answer in the first place. Probably because the answer was right under my nose but I pretended not to notice. I chose not to acknowledge it because...because I was afraid of the consequences. Plus, I had make a deal with myself, with Kai, that I would start afresh and let go of the past.

 

But what should I do when the past is now my present too?

 

________________________________________

 

 author's note 

» omg, done! love triangle is now starting! lol, comment, subscribe! peace out and have a great summer people ^^