Mission Impossible

I'm Not Old, I'm EXOtic!

Saturdays are definitely for sleeping. And watching TV. And listening to music. And not having to pick up the phone all the time. 

Until Doo Mi's mother decides to call. 

I quickly yanked my Beats headphones out of my ears, the song having reached the chorus of my group's song, "Just One Day", and clicked the green dial button on my phone. 

"Good morning, Jin!!" Her familiar loud voice filled my ears. Just like Doo Mi. 

"Hello Mrs. Kim." I replied sheeplishly. Why would she be calling? Did Doo Mi fail her Calculus test again? 

"What are you doing today?" 

Oh. Perhaps we are going to eat at Doo Mi's house again like we usually do every few weeks or so. But our most recent dinner was just last week though. 

"I'm studying" I blurted. I silently scolded myself at the obvious lie. Well, I couldn't tell her I was just randomly staring in space, bored out of my mind, can I?

"Oh, well that's surprising. On a Saturday? Your mother must be proud. If only Doo Mi was doing just that.." She heaved a sigh. 

"Maybe she is?" I shrugged. 

All of a sudden, my phone made a ping! noise. The text message from Ha Na sent to all her friends read, "Going to EXO's concert in about 9 hours!" 

Oh right! I totally forgot about Ha Na and Doo Mi's spazzing the other day!

"No, she's going to the concert." Doo Mi's mother said matter of factly. 

I nodded in agreement. 

"I need you to do something for me, Jin." 

"Uhm, yeah sure. Anything."  I laid down on my bed. Part of me wanted to stay home but I didn't mind running errands for Mrs. Kim. She had always taken care of me. It shouldn't be anything too hard, right?

"I need you to spy on Doo Mi for me." 

---

I don't know why I agreed on this. I could have been at home..could have been playing video games, or even coping with Taekyung and J-Hope's weirdness for 9 hours. But, this was definitely better than doing nothing at home. 

I looked down at the ticket in my hands, having picked it up from Mrs. Kim's office on my way to the mall. I secretly smiled, amazed at getting a free admission to see the legendary EXO. Just then, my phone made a noise. 

Ha Na: What are you going to wear?? 

The minute I replied to Ha Na's text telling her I was going as well, she messaged me constantly me on my plans on preparing for the concert. The thing is, I didn't think about anything else when I left the house aside from the plan of looking after Doo Mi and making sure she doesn't faint. Proving myself right, I glanced at what I was wearing. 

A white t-shirt, I replied. 

I was just about to close my phone before she could scold me, when out of the corner of my eye, I spotted her. Kim Doo Mi. The girl I had sacrificed my time to. Not just today, but for years, I have been helping that little pabo whether it'd be homework, chores, advice, anything. 

I raised my hand, about to yell her name, when I slowly lifted it down. No this is weird. if I told her, she would wonder why I came, especially since she and Ha Na (well maybe not Ha Na anymore after sending her that text) probabily suspects I don't like EXO. Though I do have a few of their title songs on my iPod, I mostly listen to hip hop. And thanks to Taekyung: girl group songs recently. 

Doo Mi was dressed in a hoodie that looked strangely familiar to the one an EXO member wore in their History MV. I think his name was Chanyeol. She also was carrying a box of nachos, and I couldn't help but my lips. I haven't ate lunch since Mrs. Kim called. She stopped to stare at a ticket in her hand and looked around for something, her innocent eyes darting around the crowded mall. 

Why was she here anyways, especially if she is the kind to get lost all the time?

I wanted to approach her somehow. There was something about her cute face and baggy outfit that made me want to hug her. And steal some of those nachos. Wait, what was I saying? I shook my head, hopefully pushing away all those weird thoughts and stayed firmly at my spot. She hopefully knows what she's doing. And I am just spying on her. That is all. 

As if she heard me, Doo Mi suddenly ran over to the left where all the movies were being shown. I sprinted to catch up with her. Then I realized. I needed to pay. 

I reluctantly turned back and went over to the counter. A friendly employee greeted me. 

"Hi, may I ask what movie would you like to see?" 

Shoot. Now I have to find out what movie Doo Mi went to watch. 

I took a quick glance at each movie poster currently premeiring at the back. 

Divergent? Nah, too much action for her. She is definitely more of a romantic.

Miss Granny? Nope. Though the plot looks pretty interesting. 

No Breathing. On the poster were 4 people, two of which were Seo in Guk and Lee Jong Suk. Well, that's final. Since it looks like it's about swimming, those two men are definitely going to take off their shirts right? Without a doubt, I took out my money. 

The movie was crowded. I awkwardly strolled down the aisle, looking for a familiar overly enthusiastic teenager. To find a bunch of them looking quite cheerful as well. And not to mention, most of the audience were high schoolers. 

What happens if I was wrong and she actually chose Miss Granny or something? I frowned but then, I spotted her. 

Thanks to the light casted off by the movie screen, I was able to see Doo Mi stuffing a handful of nachos up . Of course, there was no way you couldn't identify her. 

I sat in the seat directly behind her, making sure she doesn't notice me, though I'm sure her attention was fixated firmly on the half actors on the screen. I sighed and prepared to sleep. To quickly jump up at the audience's shrieks, Doo Mi's being the loudest. 

My eyes landed on the screen. Lee Jong Suk and Seo In Guk were in the showers. I sighed and used my hoodie to cover my ears. 

When I finally did open my eyes, the movie theater was empty except for one other guy who probably slept through it because he was forced to go by his girlfriend. Shoot, I lost Doo Mi again.

I stormed out of the room and arrived at the center of the mall again. 

The mall was bustling more than ever due to the rush hour. Many teenagers were strolling around, with bags of clothes in one hand, and their arm wrapped around their boyfriends' arms. Mothers were also walking about with crying children clinging to her sides, while many cops walked around with their hands on their hips. Typical for a mall. 

Though what was missing from this scene was a teenager running around with messy hair and probably pieces of nachos around as well. 

I had lost her again.