Grow Up, Doo Mi!!

I'm Not Old, I'm EXOtic!

I fell back down from my bed and squealed as I rolled around. Alas, I will finally be able to see Luhan up close and not just at the Nature Republic store down the block anymore!! It  was weird to imagine that I, after staying in Korea for only a year, will actually get to see that cardboard standee of him displayed outside come alive!

What if during the concert, Luhan dances over and makes eye contact with me? I could almost imagine those light brown deer eyes staring at me...

Suddenly, my eyes came into focus as it started to make out the numbers on my digital clock.

8:33. 

WHAT? I ONLY HAVE 15 MINUTES TO GET TO SCHOOL?

I flung myself at my closet as I yanked it open and grabbed whatever my hands landed on first.

It ended up being a fanmade EXO Wolf 88 hoodie, with Chen's name enscripted on the back. I realized I never actually worn this one as much as my other 2 hoodies of Luhan and Lay. I unconsciously smiled at the thought of how this attire would be perfect to wear at EXO's concert and quickly tried it on. 

After washing up, I stumbled over to the kitchen and grabbed an egg bread my dad must have brought from a street vendor. My mom was at her usual spot at the dinner table, staring at me instead of reading the newspaper she was holding. 

"Mom, I'm gonna go to school now!" I mumbled as I stuffed the whole pastry into my mouth. The roof of my mouth stung from the heat of the steamy egg.

"One of your socks is inside out," Mom sighed and went back to reading the papers.

"Ugghhh," I groaned as I struggled to rearrange them while hopping to get my shoes. 

I gave up and just shoved my feet into my shoes, wobbling out the door as I ran. 

----

I skidded to a halt in front of my destination: Daebak Seoul High School. There were barely any students outside, only a few seniors hanging around waiting for the late bell to ring. I tilted my head up and scanned the windows at where I thought my classroom would be. Soo Yeon was just sliding into her seat by the window. I still had time!

I decided to skip visiting my locker and raced to class. I mean, it's just homeroom. I wouln't need anything. 

As I was just about to turn the corner where my room was, I spied a familiar bald head heading towards me from the other side. I gasped and quickly turned around before he could recognize me. 

Oh god, I am going to be in so much trouble if Hwa saeng-nim catches me late again. I grimaced at the thought of smelling his foul breath and feeling the little droplets of spit landing on my face,  a tragedy that I have forced to accustom to. 

When his footsteps grew faint, I spun back around and began to panick. He was heading towards the classroom with a somewhat bulky envelope clutched in his hands. Oh, how much better it would've been if I just stayed home and watched another episode of EXO's Showtime. 

Suddenly, a male's voice whispered from behind.

"I'll distract him, so quickly go inside through the back door."

I sighed in relief as he sped past me and called for the baldie. 

Not missing the chance, I grinned as I did what I was told and plopped down onto my seat. 

Of course. I can always count on Jin.

Ha Na, who sat in the seat in front of me, turned around. 

"Yah, Doo Mi! What took you so long? We have to discuss our plans for EXO's concert!!"

"You know me." I shrugged and smirked at her. She rolled her eyes and was about to hand me the precious concert tickets when the teacher walked in. Jin followed closely behind.

When his eyes made contact with mine, I beamed and mouthed "thanks". He gave a shy smile in return.

Hwa saeng-nim went to his desk by the left corner and plopped his envelope down. It made a heavy thud, which diverted the class's attention to the front of the room. Ha Na slipped the tickets back into her purse and a small frown appeared on my face. 

"Well class, I have something to hand out that I know you guys have all been waiting for." 

He allowed a slight pause for all the groans and of teeths to take place before he continued.

"They are yes, your report cards. Please come foward when I call your name to get it. Ban Ji Eun."

As he called out names, Ha Na handed me the ticket and I happily accepted it, running my fingers over the words, "EXOPLANET". This was really happening. I can just imagine us ditching 7th period to wait in line..When the concert starts, all 12 boys will be standing onstage, so close up that I can see every detail on their sneakers...Luhan's eyes will stare straight at me as he sings "Baby don't cry.." 

"We are so going to shop and make fanboards tomorrow night, right?" 

Ha Na's voice caught my attention, disrupting me from fantasizing about the concert. 

"Oh my god, yes!" I squealed and waved the ticket in the air, my arms moving frantically.

A group of girls nearby noticed the paper and whispered to each other, with a hint of jealousy spread across their faces. 

"KIM DOO MI!"

I smiled all the way to the teacher's desk, where he awaited with my report card folded over, like he did with the rest of the students'. 

"Smiling now, huh? I don't think you will when you see your grades." Baldie sneered as he handed me the paper. 

I absent mindedly shoved it in my bag when I got back into my seat and continued talking to Ha Na until the bell rang.

----

I skipped home, whistling to EXO's Growl, a tune I have came to memorize after listening to it on repeat at the Kpop store I went to with Ha Na.

"Mom, I'm home!!!!" I screeched and dumped my bag onto the sofa as I made my way over to the pantry and grabbed a pack of Goldfish. 

"Mmmm," My mom murmured and stopped cutting tonight's fish to rinse her hands. 

"Mom, look what I have!!!" I pulled out the EXO concert ticket from my pocket. "I'm going to see EXO in two days!!!" 

There was no response as she plopped down on the sofa and pulled out my report card.

"Yes, yes. Let's look at what you have. " She took a few minutes examining it before holding it up to my face. "Can you please explain this, Kim Doo Mi?" 

"Uh....it's my report card? Heh..." I laughed awkwardly. Why does she have to talk about grades nowI was just talking about EXO!

"What have you been doing in school, Doo Mi? 60s and 70s? Why are there 11 lates? And since when were you absent?" My mom kept bombarding me with questions and I tried to ignore her as I read over my ticket that I had already stared at numerous times at school. 

Mom must have noticed because she suddenly asked, "This isn't because of EXO, is it?"

I rapidly placed the ticket behind my back and replied, "No! I mean, I didn't fail my classes...yet." I winked for good measure.

She sighed and rubbed her forehead. A good uncomfortable minutes later, she finally looked up at me. 

"You are not going to that EXO concert and you will be staying home that day, you understand? I need you to contemplate on how you can improve yourself and your grades. You will not be allowed to use your compu-" 

"But mom, I can't just not go! It's a week away and I already have the ticket! Not to mention, they're front row sea-"

My mom was going to argue back but I quickly covered my ears, humming Growl this time, as I skipped to my room.

"Kim Doo Mi, I wish you would just grow up!!!" My mom yelled after me. 

 

~End of Chapter 2~

Credits to Ha_Neul148 for writing this chapter! <33