Changes

The Other Side of Heaven's Door

 

 

Dara was back at home in the states, having flown home early to prepare for her move to Korea. She had already gone with her mom to the school to fill out the necessary forms to withdraw and get her transcripts. She also packed all the things she wanted to take to Korea, which wasn’t as much as what she boxed away to put in storage. Her mother was silent, occasionally wiping away at a stray tear.

“Omma, don’t cry,” Dara put her arms around her mother and hugged her.

“This wasn’t supposed to happen for another two years,” her mother sighed. She knew Dara wanted to attend university in Seoul but she always thought Dara would finish her high school years here at home.

Dara was quiet as she continued to hug her mother.

Later that evening she went out with a bunch of her friends for a goodbye gathering. Seungri was there, and with him was his new girlfriend, Chaerin – the girl Dara had told him had been eyeing him that night at the banquet they had attended. Dara liked the girl, from afar she seemed cold but once you got to know her you discovered that Chaerin was really nice. Most importantly was that she treated Seungri well and was loyal to him. The two were so cute together.

Seungri pulled Dara off to the side at one point and handed her a small box. “A going away present,” he explained.

Dara’s eyes lit up. “Really?” She opened it and found a silver charm bracelet. She squealed, loving it, and she hugged him. “Thanks Ri.” She kissed him on the cheek as he rolled his eyes.

“You’d better keep in touch. If you could keep in touch with that boyfriend of yours in Korea then you’d better keep in touch with me as well.”

“Why? You’re not my boyfriend,” she teased.

“Yah!” He poked his finger lightly against her forehead. “You said he wasn’t your boyfriend either!”

Dara laughed. “Then why do you keep insisting he’s my boyfriend when you know he’s not?”

“Just be sure you keep in touch with me and let me know how you’re doing, alright?”

She nodded before hugging him once more. “Will do, oppa. Thank you for everything. Take care of Chaerin. I’ll miss you guys.”

 

**

 

 

 

 

Dara stood in the middle on the ground floor and looked around at the shops around her, trying to spot the area that Jiyong had texted her to meet him at. She arrived back in Korea a week earlier and he had once again been there to pick her up. He also took her to the school so that she could register for classes and take a placement test. It was a little nerve wrecking for her as she realized she would be enrolled for the first time in a Korean school. She was a smart girl and was confident with her Korean speaking, but reading and writing in Korean was a little difficult for her since she didn’t really spend much time studying it. She knew enough to be proficient but not enough to feel confident in the advance courses.

Jiyong had noticed the change in her mood and had asked her what was the matter as they had left the testing place that day.

“What if kids think I’m dumb?” she confided.

"You're not dumb, Dara. You're one of the smartest girls I know."

She slanted him a dubious look. "I thought you said you didn't know any girls."

"What am I, a saint? Of course I know girls. I just don't hang out with them, except for Bom and Minzy. But you know what I mean. Stop worrying. You'll do fine."

"Who's Bom and Minzy?" she asked, curious at the mention of the girls names. It was the first time he'd mentioned any of his friends names to her, which is what led to their meeting today at the mall. Jiyong was going to introduce Dara to his closest friends so that she wouldn’t feel so alone when school started, which was less than two weeks away.

“Dara!”

She turned as she heard Jiyong’s voice, and her face lit up when she saw him waving at her walking towards her. Behind him sitting at a table she saw a group of youth who were all looking at her. It made her feel nervous and shy.

Jiyong ran the last few feet, closing the gap between them. “You made it! Come on, I’ll introduce you!”

She held him back a moment with a tug on his wrist. “Do I look alright?” she asked. The nervousness showed in her eyes and in her voice. Jiyong turned to face her and he placed his hands on her shoulders.

“Don’t be scared, squirt. I won’t let anything happen to you. You know that.”

Dara gave him a small smile as she took a deep breath and followed him. He didn’t let go of her hand as he pulled her towards the table and his friends.

“Guys, this is who I wanted you to meet.”

Dara bowed and smiled brightly at the group. “Hello, I’m Park Sandara. Please call me Dara.”

Jiyong pointed to his friends while his other hand he kept on Dara’s back. “That’s Top, his girlfriend, Bom, and that's Youngbae, Daesung and Daesung's sister Minzy.”

Jiyong took a seat and pulled Dara to sit next to him while his friends smiled and welcomed Dara.

“You’re so pretty,” the girl named Bom said, making Dara blush as she thanked her.

“So you’re the reason that Jiyong is always disappearing on us.” Youngbae slanted a look over at Jiyong.

“It’s much better than hanging out with all of you,” Jiyong retorted.

“Is it true you’ll be attending our school?” Minzy asked.

Dara nodded. “Yes, I’ll pick up my schedule on the first day of school.”

The group talked and found a little bit more about Dara and she about them. They were easy to get along with and Dara soon found herself laughing and feeling comfortable around them. After a while the group stood, a decision made that the girls would go off shopping on their own while the boys headed off on their own as well. They agreed to meet later at the movie theater. Jiyong pulled Dara off a little to the side.

“You’ll be alright?” he asked, and she nodded with a smile.

“I’ll be fine, don’t worry.”

He left, running to catch up with the boys.

“Wah! He's really different with her,” Minzy whispered, as she and Bom looked at each other and giggled.

Dara looked from one to the other. “Eh?”

“We’ve never seen Jiyong oppa act like that towards a girl,” Minzy explained as Bom looped an arm through Dara's and led the way.

“How does he usually act?” Dara inquired.

“Well he doesn’t really talk with girls apart from me and Minzy,” Bom told her. “And even then he rarely says much. If he treats you that way at school you may have a lot of antis.”

"Auntys?" Dara looked confused but the girls just laughed and led her away for an afternoon of shopping.