Together

The Other Side of Heaven's Door

(One of my favorite daragon manips. Credit to photo's owner...)

 

Chapter 11

 

 

Seungri chuckled as he observed the latest photo posted by Dara to her twitter. It was one of her and Jiyong. From the looks of it he judged that the two fools had finally confessed their true feelings to each other. He nudged Chaerin who was sitting and reading her textbook beside him.

“Babe, look.” He showed the picture, his lips forming into a smile as he waited for his girlfriend to come to her own conclusion.

“Oh my god, are they together now?” Chaerin asked, grabbing the phone from him. Seungri placed an arm around her shoulder.

“Looks like it. And to think of how many times she denied there was anything going on between the two of them.”

Chaerin grinned as she looked at the photo. “She looks happy. They both do.” She noticed Dara had lightened her hair and she looked beautiful in it. There was a faint blush to her cheeks.

Seungri took the phone and  held it up as he put his head close to Chaerin’s. “Let’s take an answering photo,” he said, as they both smiled at the camera.

 

**

It didn’t take long for everyone at school to know that Dara and Jiyong were now officially a couple. Their immediate friends only smiled, knowing that it had only been a matter of time before the two finally realized that their feelings for each other went beyond that of close friends or even a brother and sister like relationship. Dara brought out the best in Jiyong. He was happy since he met her. She made him laugh, lightened his mood, forgetting whatever problems his parents were having if only for a little while.

Meanwhile Jiyong’s love caused Dara to blossom from a young, pretty, bubbly, sometimes effervescently awkward tomboy of a girl into an even more beautiful young woman. Her mannerisms grew softer, more feminine, her touch gentler. It was easy to see she was happy. And when she looked at Jiyong her love for him was there for anyone to see. It broke her fanboys hearts but they could see she was taken.

For Jiyong the brotherly protectiveness he once felt for Dara intensified a million fold. She was his everything. When things were rough at home her warm embrace brought him peace. When he was frustrated she encouraged him with her words and presence. Dara alone knew his innermost thoughts, his dreams and hopes for the future. And he in turn knew hers. When they kissed he felt the burning desire to make her completely his. But he always held himself in check, respecting their decision to wait until they were a little older and could be more responsible.

The months passed quickly. Most mornings Jiyong picked her up from home for school. When basketball season started he wasn't able to take her home as often but he always made sure he was there on those nights when she had tutoring sessions and got out late. She in turn attended his games, sometimes with her grandfather accompanying her, and cheered loudly for Jiyong.

For her birthday Jiyong and her grandfather planned a party at the house and invited their closest friends. Afterwards he gave her his present, a cartier love ring. He had the matching pair. She wore the ring everyday, either on her right hand or on a chain around her neck. It was always with her.

For Christmas break Dara was planning to fly back to the U.S. along with her grandfather to spend the holidays with her parents. A few nights before she was to leave the two got together with their friends and had a small celebration at Bom’s house where they had dinner, exchanged gifts, sang Christmas songs, and laughed. The next night Dara and Jiyong spent a quiet evening at her house, snuggled on the couch with only the Christmas lights on and the glow of the tv as they watched a movie and talked late into the night. They exchanged their gifts that night. He bought her a heart locket on a chain. Inscribed inside the locket were the words,  ‘D, All my love – J’  Dara cried, moved by his gift and knowing how much she would miss him the next two weeks.  They held each other for a long time before he prepared to leave, her gift to him in his hands. She instructed him not to open it until he reached home.

“I’ll miss you,” he told her, his forehead pressed to hers as they stood near the front door. He wanted to take her to the airport but they had an early flight and Dara told him she would go with her grandfather and Mr. Kim.

She pressed a tender kiss to his lips, her eyes on his. “Drive safe. I love you.”

 

**

It was past midnight when Jiyong arrived home. As expected, the house was quiet. Unlike Dara’s grandfather’s home that was decorated fully with Christmas lights, a 12 foot tree, wreaths, candles, ribbons and exuded the feeling of Christmas despite the fact that the main occupants would be absent during the actual holiday, Jiyong’s home only had a single wreath that hung on the outside of the front door and a lonely looking tree that stood in the corner of the living room.

He made his way up to his room, stopping first to check in on his mother.  His father had finally moved out two days earlier. After the first mention of divorce they had decided to try once again to work on their marriage and Jiyong thought maybe their relationship might be on the mend. But then he had come home that night to find his father had moved out for good. He hadn't yet told Dara, not wanting to make her worry when she was preparing to go home. None of his friends knew either.

He was about to knock on his mother’s door when he saw that the light was on in Joongie’s old room. He made his way over and pushed the door open wider. His mother was sitting on the floor in the middle of several boxes, the contents of which were spread about her. Jiyong recognized the items as belonging to Jaejoong.

“Mom, what are you doing?” He walked over to her and sat down on the floor near her. She looked like she had been crying.

“I had the maids bring out Joongie’s things from storage.” She smiled at him, her eyes sad. He smelled alcohol on her. Sighing he helped her up.

“Let’s get you to bed. You can look over these things tomorrow.”

As he tucked her into bed and was about to leave she grabbed onto his wrist, stopping him. “I’m sorry, Yonggie.” Her eyes were closing but her hand remained on his. Jiyong gently uncurled her fingers, tucked her hand back under the covers. After a few seconds he leaned down and placed a kiss on her forehead.

“It’s okay, mom.”

**

 

 

 

Dara woke early the next morning to get ready for their flight. After dressing and taking her suitcase downstairs she went to check on her grandfather. She helped him with his medication before helping him into his coat and then escorted him out to the living room where Mrs. Kim, the housekeeper, was waiting.  Mr. Kim had gone to take the suitcases in the car.  Sanchol and Dara bid Mrs. Kim a Merry Christmas and Dara hugged her goodbye. “We’ll see you in two weeks!”

On the ride to the airport Sanchol dozed while Dara sat staring out the window. Her hand went up to touch the locket Jiyong had given her and she smiled at the memory of the time they had spent together the night before. She was going to tell her parents about Jiyong when she went home.

 

**

 

Jiyong walked out of the shower and looked at the clock. It was almost 4 a.m. Dara would be waking soon to prepare to leave for the airport. He missed her already.  After dressing he walked over to the gift she had given him and opened it. His mouth curved into a small smile. Inside the box were several smaller boxes, all hand decorated and with numbers on top. There was a note on top of these.

Beloved…

He smiled at her endearment. It was what she chose to call him whenever they were alone together, and always as a whisper in his ear. It thrilled him to hear her call him that, to know that he was her beloved...

 

I’ve left a gift for you for each day that I’ll be gone. Open one a day and know that I’m thinking of you and missing you each day.

I love you, always,

Merry Christmas baby,

D.

Jiyong ran his fingers over the paper. She had even taken time to add her personal touch to the stationary. He looked over the boxes, saw that the numbers correlated with the dates that she would be gone, and he picked up the box with today’s date on it.

Inside was a polaroid photo of her, lips puckered in a kiss, and he immediately chuckled. Such a dork this girl

In the box was also a handwritten letter and a photocopy of what appeared to be a page from a diary. He read it, and as he did his heart ached. How could she know him so well? The photocopy was of a page from her personal diary. The entry dated to when they first met and shared her thoughts and excitement over finally meeting someone from her Jaejoongie oppa’s family.

He read the complete diary entry and then read the other page dated from a few days ago.

Beloved,

Today I’m leaving for the U.S. to visit my parents. Normally I would say I’m going home for Christmas break, but why is it that I feel like I’m leaving home instead? I’ll be thinking of you on my way to the airport, in the plane, and when I’ve arrived at my destination. Two weeks will never seem so long…

Promise me that the next time I visit my parents, you’ll be my side so that I can introduce you in person. I’d like that very much. This time around I’ll have to settle with showing them your pictures and telling them of how wonderful a person you are and how you’ve made their daughter a hopeless fool in love ; )

Beloved, if things get rough at home think of me and my love for you. No matter how much we want everyone around us to be happy some circumstances are beyond our control. All we can do is show our support and love as best we can.

I send you my lips in the photo for you to kiss each night. Dream of me… as I do of you.

Always yours,

D.

Jiyong smiled at her letter. He raised the letter to his nose, picking up a faint scent of her perfume that he loved. He looked then at her photo, laughing softly at her cuteness. And then he pressed his lips against hers in the photo.

He then took his phone and took a reciprocating photo and posted it to the private account they had set up online for just the two of them. When he opened it he saw that she had already updated it with a photo of her in her room as she prepared to leave. She was holding a calendar in her hand and had a  ‘X’ on today’s date, indicating she was beginning her countdown before she returned. He felt a pang in his heart at seeing how many days remained to be marked off. With a sigh he posted a message to her.

“Safe travels, Dara. I love you. Hurry back home… J.”

 

**