Absence

The Other Side of Heaven's Door

 

Chapter 18:

Jiyong took her hand in his and took a small box out of his pocket. "Actually, it's the opposite," he said, and he opened the box to reveal a beautiful diamond ring. She gasped, and looked up at him with a questioning look.

"I told you I already know what it is what I want in life and that's you Dara. I want you by my side as my wife, but I'm not proposing yet. Instead I'm giving you this for safekeeping. This is my commitment to you. When I return in two years, if your feelings for me have not changed in that time, then I will officially propose to you and ask you to be my wife."

 

Dara stared down at the ring, tears glistening in her eyes. “It’s beautiful,” she whispered. She turned then to look at Jiyong. “My answer is yes.”

His smile was warm and tender. “I haven’t officially asked you yet.”

“I don’t care. My answer is still yes. Even two years from now it will be the same. I’m just letting you know ahead of time.”

He laughed softly, a sound that made her heart race. With his fingertips he traced the outline of her face, caressing her brow, her cheek and chin. How he would miss her beautiful eyes, her cute nose, lovely lips.

“Stop staring and kiss me,” Dara demanded.

“So bossy,” he whispered, grinning as he lowered his mouth to hers. He kissed her slowly, taking his time as he tasted her lips and swept his tongue across her lower lip. Dara moaned and opened to him, deepening their kiss. When his lips traveled down to her neck she shivered and whispered his name, her fingers clutching his shirt.

“I love you,” he whispered. “I love you. I love you.”

Tears stung her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. She didn’t know how she would endure being apart from him for so long. When she began crying Jiyong stopped and drew back. He gently wiped at her tears, and then gathered her close and held her for a long time.

**

 

Dara placed the bouquet of flowers on Jaejoong’s grave and sighed as she sat down. “Jaejoongie oppa, it’s been two months since your hyung has been gone.”

She missed Jiyong like crazy. The first month had been the worst and she had struggled with not having him around. Often at night she lay in bed watching video clips she had of him and her together. They made her smile but also left her heart feeling heavy.

“If you can, please watch over him Joongie. Keep him safe and bring him back home to me.”.

 

**

“Dara, aren’t you ready yet?” Bom called out. She had slept over at Dara’s place so that they could leave for the airport together. Dara had another schedule in Japan and since there was no school that week, Bom was accompanying her and they were going to spend an extra two days there as well as attend a Super Junior concert, courtesy of Dara’s friend Siwon. She had met him on a CF the month prior and he had sent her tickets to their concert.

“Coming,” Dara answered. She came out of the room dressed in faded ripped jeans, colorful t-shirt, canvas slip-ons, and a pair of dark shades. She was pulling her suitcase with her. “Okay, let’s go!”

Her manager, Jjangmae was waiting for them in the company van out front. After loading hers and Bom’s suitcases into the van and checking to make certain both girls had their necessary travel documents, the manager got in the passenger seat and the driver drove them to the airport. A few hours later the girls were in Japan, had checked into the hotel, and were out on the streets playing tourists.

“You’re so fortunate to be able to come here almost every week,” Bom said, voice wistful as she and Dara sat down to a late lunch at a Japanese restaurant. “I shouldn’t have dropped out of the contest and then maybe the both of us could be doing this together.”

“If you didn’t drop out you’d be the one doing this and not me,” Dara said. “You would have beat me for sure.”

“Oooohh!” Bom giggled and batted her lashes, causing Dara to laugh out loud. The two enjoyed their lunch before returning to their hotel to rest before getting ready to watch a Super Junior concert that evening.

It was a fun time with lots of screaming and fangirling from both Bom and Dara. Dara texted Siwon to let him know she had enjoyed the show and to thank him for the tickets. As they were leaving the two were posing next to a SuJu poster when Dara was spotted by some fans and they crowded round to take photos. Her manager stepped in quickly and escorted the two girls out to the van and whisked them away to the hotel. While on their way Dara received a text from Siwon asking her where she was at.

‘My friend and I are on our way back to the hotel.’

‘You should have come backstage… Donghae will be disappointed!”

Dara smiled as she sent another text telling Siwon to offer her apologies to Donghae. ‘We didn’t want to be a bother. You guys must be tired after that great show. Fighting oppa!’

 

“Wah, you’re really close with them,” Bom said, and she gave Dara a concerned look. “Looks like Jiyong oppa has some competition...”

Dara shook her head. “Not even close,” she told Bom, as she felt the familiar longing in her heart at the mention of Jiyong’s name. “No one comes close to my Jiyong,” she sighed. Bom smiled and gave her a hug.

 

**

 

“Cut! That’s a wrap!”

Dara and her fellow cast members bowed as the camera crew applauded their hard work for the day. She was on the set of a popular K-drama in her first role playing the little sister of the lead actor. Initially she had a small part but Dara’s popularity caused the director to greatly expand her role.

Dara loved the acting even more than modeling. They had been filming now for eight weeks and she had had to fit in her schooling, including studying for finals. Her agency was holding off any new modeling jobs while she concentrated on finishing the drama and completing her final weeks in school. They also hired a tutor for her that worked with her school so that when she had to miss classes she would still be able to study on-set and do her homework.

Her parents were now back in Korea, her father having retired and they all lived together at her grandfather’s large home. Dara had applied for entry into a nearby Arts College where she wanted to study film and theater.

Jjangmae awaited Dara with her coat and a bottle of water. He escorted her into the waiting van that would take her home. Tomorrow she didn’t have any filming so she would attend her regular classes. It was a busy, busy schedule but Dara preferred it that way. When they reached her house she said her thank you and goodbye to her manager and their driver before exiting the car and going in the house.

Her mother was waiting for her, helping her out of her coat and taking her purse and shoes. She worried that Dara was pushing herself so hard but she knew too how stubborn her daughter was and how much she wanted this career path. “Did you eat? I have some soup I can warm up.”

Dara told her she’d already eaten dinner. She kissed her mother goodnight and went up to her room to shower and then head off to sleep.

Mrs. Park sighed as she watched Dara. She knew her daughter was still missing Jiyong but she was grateful too for this break that Jiyong’s military service was providing for the two of them. She liked Jiyong a lot, but she wanted Dara to have time to grow up a little more and be certain of what she wanted in life. In a way the modeling and the acting was providing that for Dara, giving her a chance to see more of the grown up world and what opportunities lay out there for her. Dara hadn’t said anything to her about it, but Mrs. Park had come across a ring box that had a diamond engagement ring in it while cleaning Dara’s desk one day. She suspected the ring was from Jiyong. Personally she hoped that Dara, in the end, would choose to settle down with Jiyong. But she wanted that to be Dara’s choice – and Jiyong’s.

 

After showering and changing, Dara sat down at her laptop and logged on to her and Jiyong’s private account to post a short note about her day. It was a routine she tried to do daily because it made her feel as if she were still in contact with Jiyong. She knew Jiyong couldn’t read her messages right now, but one day when he was back he would be able to read her entries that she was recording for him.

‘It’s 1am. Just home from filming --. It was a good day. M’s role gets injured and I had to cry over him. I did the scene in only two takes. The PD said I’m a good actress… but it wasn’t an act. All I had to do was think of you and how much I miss you, and the tears came naturally. Be safe, oppa. I miss you.’

 

**

 

‘Sandara! Sandara!’

Dara paused and turned, waving to her fans before turning and placing her hand on the arm of her date for tonight’s red carpet event. She smiled and waved at the camera’s that were directed at her.

“Thanks for doing this for me,” she whispered, still smiling and waving. Beside her Youngbae tried not to let his nervousness show as he guided Dara toward the entrance. They were at a drama awards show and Dara was up as one of the nominees for best new actress in a supporting role. She didn’t expect to win, there were two other contenders who were the favorites above her and a fourth other contender. But still she was excited to be nominated and to be able to attend tonight’s gala. Her agency had wanted her to attend with another celebrity but Dara had turned down the offer. If she needed a date she was going to take Youngbae because he was Jiyong’s best friend and because she got along well with him.

Youngbae had been looking out for Dara in Jiyong’s absence. He’d call her every once in a while to see how she was doing and ask if she needed anything. Dara’s answer was always the same. “I’m fine, oppa. Thank you. No I don’t need anything.” But when the invitation had come up for this gala event she had called him up and said, “Bae oppa, I need a favor.”

As Youngbae watched Dara smiling and laughing he couldn’t help but think how beautiful she was. He’d known her now for five years and she had always been a beauty, but now she’d blossomed into what the magazines and netizens described as a goddess. She was a siren that had dozens of male celebrities wanting to date her or meet her. But from what he could see Dara still only had eyes for Jiyong. It made Youngbae admire her more and feel envious of his best friend.

Dara introduced him to several of her friends from work, as she called them. She also gave him the lowdown on several of the other actresses and models that were there. “I think that one’s interested in you. She’s nice. I’ll set you up if you like.” Or she would say, “Avoid that one. She’s trouble.”

A reporter came up and asked Dara for an interview on camera and Dara consented. It was one of those, “How are you feeling? Do you think you’ll win?” interviews. Dara smiled and answered graciously. The reporter then asked about Dara’s outfit and her whole look for the night. “I don’t recognize the designer..” the reporter said.

 

 

“Her name is Lee Chaerin,” Dara stated, looking into the camera. “She’s a new designer and stylist and one of my favorites. She’s responsible for my whole look tonight.”

“Well you look absolutely gorgeous, Sandara.”

Dara thanked him and waved at the camera before returning to where Youngbae was waiting for her. The evening wore on and, as Dara had expected, she didn’t win the award she was up for but she was happy nonetheless to have been there and experienced it all. When it was all over Youngbae escorted her home. She had opted to not attend the after parties stating that she was tired.

“Thank you for tonight and for escorting me,” she told Youngbae. “I really appreciate it.”

“It was my pleasure. I really enjoyed the experience.” He looked at her and asked. “Have you heard from Jiyong at all?” Dara shook her head.

“No. I’ve visited his mom and they said he’s doing well. They flew up a few months back near his base so that they could see him when he took leave for a few days.” She had a sad look in her eyes and Youngbae asked why she had not gone up as well.

“I wanted to but I was afraid I would end up crying and making it hard for him,” she said, laughing at herself. “Also his mother’s had a hard time without him so I felt it was more important to allow that time for him and his parents to spend together.”

“He’s only got another four months is it before he returns?”

She smiled, her eyes lighting up. “I try not to think of it because it makes me impatient. But, yeah, he’s got four months left.”

Youngbae laughed at her excitement. He thought once again of how Jiyong was lucky to have her in his life. Despite all the glamour surrounding her and the celebrities she was mingling with on an almost daily basis, Dara still only saw Jiyong in her life. He hoped it was always remain so for her and for his best friend.

 

 

 

A/N: Credit to the photo owner. Thank you again for all of you reading! I'm hoping to wrap this up by the next chapter. Wish me luck!!