Distance

The Other Side of Heaven's Door

Chapter 16: Distance

 

 

 

 

Dara placed her elbows on the cafeteria table, chin in hands, and stared gloomily ahead.

Bom sat next to her looking just as miserable. “I miss my Tabi,” she pouted.

Dara sighed. “I miss Jiyong.”

Minzy, who was sitting across from the two, burst out laughing. “Unnies, it’s not the end of the world!” she teased.

“Yah! How would you know? Wait until you get a boyfriend and he dumps you for college life!”

Dara slanted a look at her alien friend. “Dumped?”

“Well that’s what it feels like,” Bom frowned. Every time she thought of her Tabi going off to university and being surrounded by those nasty, boyfriend stealing older girls it just made her cringe. “I’ll cut his balls off if he cheats on me,” she muttered, stabbing at her food with her chopsticks.

“Ewww unnie!” Minzy protested, shaking the visual from her head.

Just then two boys approached their table. One slipped Dara a note and gave her a smile. Bom immediately glared at him, ready to attack him for making a move on Dara now that Jiyong was no longer around to scare them off. But when the second boy slipped a note to her, her snarl made a 360 degree turn. Long lashes blinked innocently at the would-be fanboy.

“For me?” Bom said, fluttering her lashes in quick succession. “Oooooooh – komayo!”

Dara’s mouth dropped open at Bom's quick turnaround while Minzy held her stomach laughing. “Unnie, you’re too funny!”

 

After school Dara hurried out of class and towards the main gate. Jiyong had texted her earlier that he would pick her up. She saw him leaning against his car, arms folded and looking every bit like a cool boyfriend with his dark shades on. She paused, head tilting to one side, then grabbed her phone and took his photo.

Jiyong straightened, hands slipping into the pockets of his faded jeans. Girls passing by blushed, whispered, and sighed. Dara looked at them and then over at her boyfriend as he continued to play the role of Mr. Too Cool, and she stifled a giggle as she stepped in front of him.

“Hey babe,” he said, leaning down to peck her on the lips.

“Whatever,” she smirked, pulling him back down for a second, longer kiss. He only smiled at her before opening the door and helping her in.

Dara sighed and leaned back in her chair, eyes closed and feeling happy.

“How was your day?” Jiyong asked as he maneuvered the car out onto the road.

“It was good. Felt a little weird not having the senior class around.” She opened her eyes and turned her head to look at him. “I missed having you there.”

He reached for her hand and held it in his. They drove the rest of the way in comfortable silence.

 

**

Two weeks later Dara was in Jeju for the final photo shoot of the modeling competition. Her mother had flown down to accompany her. They would be there for two days. In that time Dara was busy from sun-up until sun-down, but she absolutely loved it.

“I think I could really enjoy doing this,” she confided to her mom as they lay in bed after the first day and talked with the lights off except for the hallway entry light.

“I want you to finish school, Dara.”

“I know, and I will, Mom. I promise. But I’m just saying that if I win this competition, I think this is something I’d really be good at and enjoy doing.”

Mrs. Park sighed as she held Dara in her arms and her hair. Dara turned her head to look at her. “You don’t want me to model?” she asked.

“No, that’s not it…”

“Then?”

“I just find it hard to believe how fast you’re growing up sometimes,” Mrs. Park told her. “You’ve always been so independent. I sometimes feel like you’ve raised yourself because of it. It feels like half your life you’ve lived away from your father and me. I regret that you’re growing up and I haven’t had enough time with you.”

Dara heard the tremor in her mom’s voice. She reached over and hugged her tight.

“If I’m independent it’s because you’ve raised me to be that way, mom. Please don’t regret that. I couldn’t be strong if I didn’t have you and appa by my side supporting me in everything I do. I know how fortunate I am to have both of you as my parents. In everything I do I consider you two and want to make sure I don't disappoint you. I love you both very, very much.”

Mrs. Park smiled as she hugged her daughter and placed a kiss atop her head, happy to hear Dara's words.

“Plus Jiyong and I will give you lots of grandbabies so you won’t feel so lonely,” Dara murmured sleepily.

“Yah!” Mrs. Park shouted, pushing her away, and Dara broke into a fit of laughter.

 

**

 

Jiyong looked around the university’s Student Center and spotted Top sitting at one of the tables reading a magazine. He made his way over and sat down on the empty seat next to him.

“Hey, have you seen this?” Top slid the magazine over for Jiyong to look at. “I was in the bookstore and saw it. I nearly freaked out when I realized it was Dara.”

 

 

Jiyong looked at the magazine. Dara’s photo was on the cover and she was wearing a red gown that showed off her milky skin and youthful features. He felt a tug at his heart upon seeing her picture.

“That’s that competition she won,” he explained, and Top recalled then that Bom had told him something about it. “She has a modeling contract now for one year.”

“Well she looks great. The article says that she’s in high demand ever since she won that competition. Her photos inside the magazine are amazing as well. Did you see this one?” He opened the magazine and pointed out another photo of Dara.

“She does look beautiful,” Jiyong agreed.

Top leaned his head to one side as he studied Jiyong’s expression. “You don’t seem too thrilled about it.”

“I’m happy for her, I am. But between my working part time and going to classes, and with her still in school and modeling, it’s hard to find time to be together.”

“What about weekends?”

“That’s when she does most of her modeling. During the week she’s tied up with school and then she’s taking extra tutoring in the evening to make sure she stays on top of her homework.”

“Sounds rough.”

“What about you and Bom?”

“We’re good,” Top said, shrugging his wide shoulders. “Our schedules fit alright. Busy during the week but we catch up on the weekend.”

Jiyong envied the two. He missed spending time with Dara.

 

**

Bom caught up with Dara at morning break. As usual, Dara was surrounded by several of her fanboys and was trying to escape them as best she could. Bom walked over, pushing several of Dara’s admirers to the side and grabbed hold of her friend’s arm.

“Come on, superstar. Let’s get out of here.”

“Thanks Bommie,” Dara sighed. Ever since she’d won the modeling competition and her photos had been on several magazines, including a cover, her popularity at school had skyrocketed to new heights. She was getting rave reviews from local press and it wasn’t uncommon to see a photographer or two waiting for her outside of the school gates. She’d also gained a lot of new haters as well.

“Wow, bet you never bargained for this when you signed that modeling contract. How are you holding up?”

“I’m good,” Dara said. “A little tired but that’s to be expected.”

“Hey, I wanted to ask you about the school dance next week. Will you and Ji be attending?”

“I haven’t asked him.”

Bom looked shocked. “Why not? Don’t tell me you’re planning on going with someone else!”

“Of course not! Truthfully I was thinking of skipping it altogether. We’re both just so busy and, honestly, I just want to spend some alone time with him.”

Bom nodded, a frown marring her face. “I don’t feel so bad then. Me and Top aren’t attending either.”

“Why not? I thought you were looking forward to this dance?”

“I was but Top isn’t. He doesn’t want to hang out with high school kids. He said he’d feel out of place.”

Dara laughed. “Strange that he would say that when his girlfriend is still in high school.” The two found a spot in the shade under a tree and sat down to relax.

“Does Jiyong feel like that too, you think?” Bom asked.

“Like what? Too old to hang out with high schoolers?” Dara thought a moment. “I’m not sure. He’s never said so, but then again I haven’t really asked him about it or thought to invite him to any of our activities. For us it’s more a matter of just finding time to be together.”

“Top and I don’t have that problem. We always hang out together on the weekends but things feel a little different between us.”

Dara noticed a sadness about her best friend. “Hey, what’s wrong Bommie?” she asked.

Bom stretched out her legs and leaned back on her arms, staring out into the distance, her expression serious. “I just feel like even though we’re committed to each other we’re slowly drifting apart. I hate that. It scares me.”

Dara understood what Bom meant. It had never mattered much before when Top and Jiyong were still in school, but now that they were college students the two year age difference between them and her and Bom seemed to have widened. They existed in different worlds with different friends, different priorities.

“Tabi took me to this party this past weekend. I didn’t know anyone there,” Bom said. “They were all his new friends and they seemed so much older. I felt like a high school kid.”

“You are a high school kid,” Dara teased, and Bom only frowned.

“Hey, don’t look so down. You know Top loves you. He may be in a different world right now but his heart is still with you,” Dara said, trying to comfort her friend.

“Yeah, but for how long?” Bom mumbled.

 

**

Jiyong felt his phone vibrate. He checked it and smiled when he saw a text from Dara.

‘Are you free tonight? I miss you.’

He called her up and heard the smile in her voice as she answered.

“Oppa!”

“Hi baby girl.”

“Where are you?” Dara asked. She was just finishing class and was on her way home.

“At school. I have another class in thirty minutes and then I’m done for the day.”

“Want to hangout?” she asked.

“Don’t you have a study class tonight?” he asked. He had already made plans to meet up with Top and Youngbae later that night.

“I’m skipping it because I want to spend time with you,” she told him. “So what do you say?”

“Hmm… I’ll pick you up at six?”

He heard her laugh on the other end. “Good answer oppa. I’ll see you then. Bye!”

He smiled as he quickly sent a text to Top and Youngbae. ‘Sorry guys. Can’t make it tonight. Have fun without me.’

 

**

Dara moaned as Jiyong rolled her onto her back, kissing her deeply with all the longing he felt. He had picked her up and they had drove around trying to figure out where they would go. They ended up at a hotel room. Dara was the one that had asked for it and Jiyong was the one that protested.

“I want to spend time with you,” she had said to him. “We won’t do anything. I just want privacy… and you, Ji.”

He gave a nervous laugh and ran his hand through his hair. “Baby, if we’re alone in a hotel room, I can’t promise you we won’t ‘do anything’.”

She sighed and turned her face away, tears stinging her eyes. They were parked outside a restaurant but Dara hadn’t wanted to go inside. But now, her request having been rejected by Jiyong, she opened the car door and got out without waiting for him. Jiyong got out and ran after her.

He grabbed at her arm and she slapped it away, her hurt turning into anger.

“Dara!” He took hold of her hand firmly and pulled her away from the entry way and back towards the car. They stood next to the passenger door and he held her by the shoulders while she refused to meet his gaze. Her cheeks were wet with her tears. Jiyong groaned and pulled her in his arms, holding her tight.

“Don’t you know how much I want you, Dara?” he whispered in her ear. “I love you with everything in me. If we’re alone in a hotel room I don’t know that I can control myself around you.”

She looked up at him with those eyes that made his heart melt. “I trust you, Ji. I miss you. I want to go somewhere where I can hold you and where I can feel you next to me. We can do that without… going all the way… right?”

Jiyong sighed as he pressed his forehead to hers. She had no idea of just how hard her request was on him. 

“Alright,” he consented finally. He kissed her tenderly, wiped the tears off her cheek and helped her in the car. He then took out his phone and placed a call through to Youngbae while he stood outside the car. Bae didn’t ask any questions when Jiyong asked him for his favor. He knew Jiyong was with Dara and knew the two loved each other. Within forty minutes Jiyong and Dara were in a luxury room at one of the hotels owned by Youngbae’s family. Bae called ahead to let the staff know, and then gave Jiyong the key code to use to enter through the private elevator as well as the code to the room.

Dara had looked around with wonder at the room. The curtains were open, revealing a spectacular view of the city. She went to it and stood staring out. Behind her she heard Jiyong approach, felt his arms circle her. They stood that way for several minutes, not saying anything, just admiring the view and this moment they had together.

Slowly she turned and leaned against Jiyong, her ear against his chest. She could feel the strong beating of his heart. Her eyes closed and she relaxed.

“I miss you, Ji. I miss you so much.”

He lifted his hand, his finger to her chin, tilting her face upwards. His lips met hers in a tender searching kiss. After a few minutes he took hold of her hand and led her to the bed. They slipped off their shoes and Jiyong got onto the bed, still fully clothed, and held his arms out to her.

Dara went to him, laying in his embrace as he held her. His arms were around her, their legs entwined, and she sighed with contentment. After a few minutes she tilted her face up and sought his lips. Jiyong groaned.

“Woman, you’re going to kill me,” he whispered.

Dara laughed softly, sweetly. Her hands roamed over him, touching his face, his chin, down to his neck, and then around to his back. There was curiosity in her eyes, desire in his.

“Teach me?” she asked, barely a whisper.

“No, you’re too young.”

She smiled up at him. “You just called me a woman a few seconds ago.”

“You’re not a woman. You’re a temptress. Seductress. Vixen. Evil.” He gave her a kiss to emphasize each descript.

Dara laughed, giddy with joy at the effect she had on him. He kissed her deeply and rolled her on her back. He pressed his hips to hers, letting her feel just how much of an effect she had on him. Her laughter stopped, replaced by a look of wonder. Her breath hitched, desire flaring within her. His eyes darkened at the look on her face.

“Someday,” he promised, his voice husky with his need and love for her. “I’m going to make you mine.” He rolled then onto his side and pulled her up next to him, spooning with her. His fingers linked with hers and pressed against her stomach. They were silent as he focused on regaining control over his need while she lay wondering what it would feel like to be his completely.

She kept still and waited, instinctively knowing that he needed this time. When his breathing evened out and his body didn’t feel so tense, she relaxed and closed her eyes.

“Have you ever done it before?” she asked, and felt Jiyong give another groan.

“You really are evil,” he stated, his face buried in her soft hair.

“I’m curious,” she stated. She pulled his hand up and held it close to her heart.

“Curiosity killed the cat,” he replied, eyes closed. It felt so nice to be near her like this.

“I’m not a cat. I’m a bird,” she replied, and Jiyong began to laugh. His body shook with the sound of it and it made Dara laugh as well. They were like two little kids giggling over some silly joke that only the two of them could understand.

“You’re so weird!” Jiyong shouted, as Dara pretended to be a bird and started making tweeting sounds.

“Tweet tweet! Tweet tweet!” She tickled him and the two ended up wrestling over the bed, each trying to tickle the other until Jiyong threw up his hands in surrender.

“Enough!” He held her hands down and silenced her with a kiss. When he pulled back he saw her looking up at him with sparking eyes. Her hair was a mess, spread over the pillow, and he thought she never looked more beautiful.

He reached over to the bedside table where his phone lay. He lay his head next to hers on the pillow and held the phone up above them. They smiled at the camera, two people looking very happy and in love. Dara turned her head and kissed him while he took another picture. Afterwards he set his alarm for an hour and a half and set the phone back on the table.

“Let’s take a nap baby girl,” he said, snuggling her close. Dara nodded as she sighed happily and closed her eyes. Within seconds they were both sound asleep.

 

 

 

**

A/N: Thank you everyone for reading and your comments. I appreciate reading that there are those of you who appreciate this kind of story simple, sometimes silly, story. I want to give credit out to the owner of the photos I've been using. I can only see the name "Chichan" on them but have no idea who that person is. I love her/his work though, it inspires me sometimes to write a whole story around those photos, as I've sort of done with this story. Just a few more chapters to go. Thanks again for reading!