Moving

The Other Side of Heaven's Door

 

 

"Yah! Watch where you’re going! Turn-turn-turn!!”

Jiyong and Dara were in an empty parking lot and he was teaching her to drive. He was having a mini-heart attack that she would crash his car while Dara was laughing her head off and enjoying the experience immensely.

“Stop the car! That’s enough for today!” Jiyong declared, clutching at his chest. The sound of Dara’s laughter filled his ears as he turned to glare at her.

“Remind me again why I agreed to do this?” he growled at her.

Dara grinned at him, her eyes full of joy. “Because you love me?” she said, and then laughed out loud again.

"Pfft! Who said I loved you, little brat!" He rolled his eyes, relieved the lesson was over.

 

They’d grown even closer over the past few weeks and spent more time together. He spent a lot of time over at her grandfather’s house again that summer. During his visits Jiyong would help Dara and her grandfather most mornings in the garden, where Sanchol liked to spend most of his time. They ate lunch together and then in the afternoon as her grandfather would rest Dara and Jiyong would hang out at the house or by the pool. Sometimes they would go out for a drive. Jiyong finally taught her how to drive but she still had another year before she could get her license. Sundays were still reserved for visiting the graveyard where the three would take flowers to Dara’s grandmother’s grave and also to Jaejoong.

One lazy afternoon as they were lounging by the pool Dara asked Jiyong if he had any other friends he wanted to hang out with. “I’m sure you do,” she continued. “I was just worried that grandpa and I seem to be taking up all your time.”

Jiyong, who lay on the lounge chair next to her, answered without opening his eyes. “I get to see them throughout the school year. You’re only here three months and then you’ll be gone again.”

Dara smiled at his answer as she lay back and brought her shades down to cover her eyes. “Good answer, oppa. But just so you know, you might have me around even during the school year.”

“What?” He snapped his head toward her. “What do you mean?”

“I’ve asked my parents if it’s okay for me to stay here year round with grandpa. It’s the perfect solution. I can go to school here and be here for grandpa. I was planning on moving here anyway for college so why not make the move now?”

Jiyong grinned at her. “That would be awesome!”

“I know, right?” she grinned back and held her palm up to him for a high five.

 

**

 

Sanchol Park wasn’t too keen on Dara’s solution. “I don’t want you disrupting your school. Besides I’m perfectly fine staying here on my own,” he scowled.

Dara plopped herself down on the sofa next to her grandfather and looped her arm through his, her head on his shoulder. “This isn’t just about you, Papa. I want to do this. I want to be here with you and I want to move here. Transferring school isn’t a biggie.”

The old man was silent, a frown still on his face.

“Please Papa? You know I love staying here, and I’ve tried to be good so that I’m not a burden to you..”

“Dara, you’re never a burden. That’s not the problem.”

“Then explain to me please,” she said, pulling away and turning her body to face him.

Sanchol sighed. “I feel like you’re making a sacrifice for me when it’s not necessary.”

Dara pouted. “Can I tell you what I feel?”

Sanchol nodded.

“I want to be here.”

“That’s it?” he asked, his brows raised.

She pouted cutely again at him and nodded once.

He couldn’t resist her aegyo and began to chuckle. “I don’t think we should have named you after your grandmother. You’ve inherited all her charms, young lady.”

Dara flashed him a wide smile. “I know, right? Me and Grandma Dara are the best!” She hugged him as she settled comfortably next to him.