Heaven part I

The Other Side of Heaven's Door

 

Thank you everyone for reading. The chapter ended up a little longer than I thought it would be, so I split it in two. Hope you enjoy it. Hengsho applers!

 

**

 

Dara stepped off the stage and walked calmly backstage, making certain she smiled prettily for the cameras and waved to both photographers and fans. As soon as she stepped through the door to backstage she made a mad dash for the exit..

She had thirty minutes to make it to the airport. Her stylist was standing by the exit with her purse and held it out to her. Jjangmae was already outside and holding the car door open for her, her driver behind the wheel.

“My suitcase,” Dara said, and her manager waved her into the car.

“I’ve got it. Don’t worry. Just go!

“Thank you, Jjangmae!” She threw him a quick hug before jumping into the passenger side and shut the door.

Her manager rolled his eyes and shook his head as the car pulled away. He had hated seeing Dara so upset about missing her Jiyong’s party so he had asked permission from the agency to allow Dara to leave as soon as her part in the event was finished. He then booked a ticket for one back on the last flight to Seoul while he remained behind to gather her things and the other actors under his care. Hopefully she would make it back in time to make it to the party.

**

Jiyong smiled as he bowed in greeting for the hundredth time that evening. His cheeks hurt from smiling and he wanted nothing more than to just go to his new apartment and go to sleep. But he couldn’t since most of the people here were business acquaintances and partners of his father’s and he needed to be respectful of that relationship. It didn’t escape his notice either that almost all of his father’s acquaintances seemed to have daughters that were also presented to him. For certain the girls were all beautiful, well mannered, and expensively dressed and coifed. But his eyes couldn’t help but look around wistfully wishing for one particular girl, even though he knew she was at that moment thousands of miles away in Japan on business.

He felt his mother nudge him and he looked at her with an inquiring look. She in turn made a silent signal with her eyes and head, motioning to the daughter of the couple that had just been introduced to him and that he couldn’t for the life of him recall what their name was, let alone the girl’s.

Jiyong raised his brow, not comprehending what his mother was asking.

“Forgive my son,” his mother said, covering for him. “He seems to be still recovering from his travel. He just arrived home yesterday and I’m afraid we haven’t given him much time to rest.” To Jiyong she said, “Ms. Jung was asking if you will be returning to university now that you’re back.”

“Oh.” He smiled sheepishly and apologized. “Yes, I do plan to return to my studies. I have two more years left.”

It turned out that Ms. Jung was also a student at the same school. “Perhaps we’ll see each other there,” she said hopefully. Jiyong smiled and bowed slightly, then looked around again as if he were searching for someone. He spotted Youngbae, Daesung and Top on the other side of the pool, near the bar, talking to some girls. Daesung had flown in earlier in order to be there for Jiyong’s welcome home.

“Excuse me,” he said, bowing again. “I see some people I need to speak with.”

 

**

Seungri checked his watch and glanced up at the information board once again. Dara’s plane had just landed. “Come on, Dara,” he whispered, tapping his foot impatiently. People were staring at him because he was dressed in a tuxedo at the airport but he didn’t care.

Dara had called on him for help. She was rushing over to the airport as soon as the event she had to attend in Japan was over. She wasn’t even bringing any luggage with her. She’d left all of that with her manager and boarded the plane immediately in order to try and make it home in time to catch at least the ending of Jiyong’s party. She had asked Seungri to be there to pick her up and drive her to the event.

Just then the doors from the restricted area opened and Seungri looked up to see Dara rushing out. He grinned to see her in her heels and fancy dress, hair flowing freely. She was the first of the passengers to clear the immigration area. She saw him and waved, running over to him.

“Seungri!”

Dara was surprised when Seungri swept her into his arms and spun her around. She hit him on his chest as people around them smiled and others pointed fingers. Several were beginning to recognize Dara and were wondering who Seungri was, if he was her boyfriend.

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?” Dara whacked him again, and Seungri laughed as he released her.

“You looked like a scene out of a movie bursting out of the door, running to meet her lover,” Seungri replied, and he winked at her. “I was just playing the role of the knight in shining armor.”

“You’re about to be the knight with a black eye,” Dara said, pushing him towards the exit. “Hurry up! Let’s go!”

A fan called out to Dara, “Sandara-ssi, is that your boyfriend?”

“No – my boyfriend is much more handsome,” Dara called back with a smile, while beside her Seungr pouted. “He’s my cousin and dear friend,” Dara explained, waving to the fans as they rushed out. Seungri grinned at that as Dara pulled him along.

“I’m much more handsome than her boyfriend. He’s really ugly!” he teased, and Dara punched him on the arm again as they hurriedly left.

 

**

 

Chaerin stepped out of the elevator and hurried to the room she had just secured for the night. Upstairs on the roof the party for Jiyong was still going on. Once in the room she began setting up the things she would need to help Dara get ready, including the dress that she had designed for her. She glanced at her watch then picked up her phone and dialed Dara’s phone.

“Chae?” Dara’s voice answered from the other end. “We’re still about twenty minutes away.”

“Okay. I’ve got everything ready for you. I’m in room xxxx. I’ll see you when you get here.”

 

**

 

 

Bom and Minzy knocked on the hotel room door and waited for Chaerin to let them in. The two girls were dressed in beautiful gowns also designed by Chaerin.

“Dara’s almost here. We’ll need to move quickly as soon as she arrives. Bom you do her makeup and Minzy you get her hair.”

“Oooh, this is so exciting,” Minzy clapped. The girls were looking forward to this reunion surprise they were planning for Jiyong. Just then a knock sounded on the door and Minzy ran to open it.

“Unnie!” Minzy hugged Dara and pulled her into the room.

Seungri looked over to Chaerin and blew her a kiss before waving and headed upstairs to the party. The girls were already gathering round Dara and helping her to prepare.

**

 

Jiyong took a glass of champagne from a passing waiter as he approached where his friends were. He smiled at the girls they were talking to before making an excuse and pulled the guys away. “I need your help,” he told them, when they had moved off to the side.

“What’s up?”

“I need to get out of here. I’ve reached my…” Jiyong paused, spotting suddenly Dara’s parents and her grandfather who looked as if they had just arrived. “Excuse me,” he told the boys, and hurried away to meet them.

“Sounds like he’s trying to escape,” Top said to Youngbae. The latter glanced at his watch.

“She should be here by now. He’s not likely to leave now that her family is here.”

Daesung called Minzy and spoke to her briefly before hanging up. “She’s here,” he confirmed, smiling at the other two. Just then Seungri showed up and made his way over. The four together were oblivious of the admiring stares they were getting from many of the young women in attendance as they talked and laughed at the surprise that was in store for their unsuspecting friend.

“So how’s this going down?” Youngbae asked.

“The girls will give us a call when they’re ready. We need to get him down to the room without him suspecting anything,” Seungri said.

“Wait – isn’t she coming up here?”

“Dara wants their initial meeting to be in private.”

Top, Youngbae and Daesung looked at each other, identical grins mirrored on all their faces. Seungri too was smiling widely.

“Okay, so how do we get him down there?”

The four put their heads together to discuss the rest of their plan.

 

**

Jiyong approached Dara’s parents and grandfather and bowed when he reached them. He greeted them with proper formality. Sanchol smiled broadly and pulled Jiyong in for a one arm hug before he introduced him to Dara’s father. This was the first time Jiyong was meeting him and he was a little nervous. But Mr. Park’s smile was kind. “Welcome home, son. It’s good to finally meet you.”

Jiyong felt his heart soar. He bowed again, his heart in his eyes. “Thank you for coming,” he told them. He only wished his beloved was also there at that moment.

 

**

 

Chaerin, Bom, and Minzy stood back as Dara stood before them. The three friends looked like they were about to cry.

“What?” Dara said, seeing their expression. “I don’t look good in it?”

“Aniyo!” Chaerin said.

“You look beautiful, unnie!” Minzy added.

“Wahhhhhh!” Bom wailed as she rushed forward to hug her friend. The other two joined in and Dara ended up laughing as her three friends cried and hugged her.

“Yah! You guys are messing up my dress before my Jiyong even sees me!”

 

**

 

In the end the four boys recruited Jiyong’s mother to help them with their plan. Jiyong sat at a table with Dara’s family and his parents. Mrs. Kwon leaned over and whispered to Jiyong. “Son, I forgot to take my pills. Would you go to our room and bring it for me? I left it on the bedside table.”

“You and Dad have a room here?”

“To rest in in case I felt faint. Here’s the key. Go now. Hurry.” She told him the room number and Jiyong stood, excusing himself from the table.

After he left Mrs. Kwon looked over to where the boys were seated and gave them the ‘ok’ sign. The boys grinned and returned the signal back to her.

 

Jiyong ran into Bom, Minzy, and Chaerin as he was making his way to the elevator to go down to the room his mother had told him. He stopped, happy to see the girls, and greeted them. He looked at Chaerin in particular. “You look familiar…”

Bom and Minzy introduced Chaerin and Jiyong nodded, and greeted her warmly. He recalled now having seen Chaerin’s photos on Dara’s twitter page. He remembered suddenly too that was where he had also seen the other young man he’d seen with his friends earlier. He felt bad that Dara’s friends were here but she had not been able to make it.

“Where are you going, oppa?” Minzy asked.

“My mother asked me to get something from her room. Please go on out and enjoy the party. Get something to eat. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

The girls nodded. When he left, they exchanged looks and let out silent squeals before hurrying out to meet the boys.

As they entered the party area the girls looked around and Chaerin spotted where the boys were. She pointed them out and the three girls made their way over. Bom saw that Top was there at the same time he saw her. Ever since they broke up the two had never had an occasion to be together in one place. For one thing the girls and guys didn’t really hang out together any longer. On the rare occasion that they did get together it always ended up that either Bom or Top would make an excuse not to be there.

As the girls approached Top looked at Bom and thought how beautiful she looked. He felt his chest tighten, remembering suddenly the relationship they had once shared. He missed her and regretted his stupidity in causing their breakup. Of all the girls he’d dated in the past three years none of them had compared in personality to Bom. He only realized belatedly what a sweet girl she was. He knew she had move on from him. He’d heard occasionally Minzy mention Bom’s name with another guy. He looked down at the drink in his hand and then sipped at it.

Bom had noticed Top looking at her and she merely glanced away at the other boys he was with, smiling at them. She knew she would run into him here. If it wasn’t for her desire to be here for Dara and Jiyong, Bom would have avoided coming to the party. But she had decided she wasn’t going to let Top ruin this night for her. She’d already moved on beyond him although deep in her heart she still felt a twinge of pain at the love they had lost. Deep inside she envied Dara and Jiyong and how they had managed to hold onto each other and their love. Her heart still ached for Top – none of the other guys she had dated and gone steady with could match what she had once felt for Top. But she refused to let herself wallow for a man who did not see her worth. After witnessing Dara and Jiyong’s love Bom had made up her mind she wanted a love equally as strong with a man as devoted to her as Jiyong was to Dara.

**

Jiyong exited the elevator and made his way towards the room that his mother told him. He wondered briefly why his father had not gotten the presidential suite for the two of them to use. But then he figured that maybe those suites may have already been booked and not available.

He came to a stop in front of the room, looking at the number, and then he entered the keycard into the slot and waited for the door to unlock.

The room was dimly lit and he felt along the wall for the switch to turn on additional lights. He found it and turned the switch on at the same time he entered the room and the door shut behind him. He turned to walk into the room then and jerked back in surprise when he saw someone standing by the window. He paused, his heart pounding from the surprise. Then, recognizing who it was standing there, he gave a shout and ran forward.

“Dara!”

Laughter erupted from him as she threw herself into his arms and he caught her up in a tight hug. She called his name over and over as he buried his face in her hair. He pulled back then, joyous tears in both their eyes as they looked at each other. And then he lowered his head and kissed her with all the longing he held for the past two years. Dara held onto him, kissing him back with equal longing.

“I missed you…”

“…missed you too… so much.”

“I love you…”

They broke apart, stared into each other’s eyes. He caressed her face tenderly, touched his nose to hers and closed his eyes as he inhaled her scent. “My Dara… my beautiful Dara…”

She laughed, giddy with happiness as she wrapped her arms tightly around his neck. She heard him laugh as well as he swept her up and off her feet in another tight hug.

“You’ve made me so happy,” he said, grinning down at her. “How did you get here? I thought you were in Japan?”

“I was. I begged and begged until they let me come as soon as my part was over,” she told him, grinning with pride that her plan and preparations had worked out.

“My clever girl,” he whispered, leaning down to kiss her again. This time slow and tender. When he finally released her from the kiss she cuddled up close to him, leaning her cheek against his chest, loving the familiarity of his arms about her and the warmth of his love. They stood that way for a long time, just holding one another and filling their need to be close to each other.

They were interrupted by the sound of his phone. Jiyong looked at the caller ID and saw his mother’s name. He smiled and answered.

“If I really needed my medicine I’d probably be dead by now,” his mother said, making Jiyong laugh.

“Omma… thank you,” he said, realizing that she had been in on this secret to reunite him with Dara like this.

“You’re welcome son. Now I know you want to spend more time alone with your girl, but I don’t think her parents will like it too much if you take too long. Plus you have a ton of guests you still need to take care of up here. You two can spend alone time later, okay? Come on back up.”

Dara grinned. She could hear his mother’s voice and what she was saying to him. After he hung up she pulled back to straighten her dress and her hair before taking his hand and smiled up at him.

“Wait,” he said, when she tried to pull him toward the door. “Do you by chance have the ring with you?” he asked.

She paused, bit her lower lip, and then nodded slowly. She blushed at the intensity of the look he was giving her.

“May I have it please?”

Dara swallowed, and reached over her purse. She normally kept the ring box in her drawer at home. But before leaving for Japan she had taken it out in preparation for this night, hoping that Jiyong might ask for it but not wanting to get her hopes up. Silently she took the ring box out and handed it to Jiyong, her eyes looking to his.

He leaned down and kissed her again with all the tender love he felt for her. And then he went down on bended knee and proposed to her.

“Park Sandara, I’ve loved you from the moment I laid eyes on you. I couldn’t believe that such a person as you existed, someone who would show such compassion and love toward my brother, a person you didn’t even know. You healed the sorrow I felt in my heart, taught me again how to smile and laugh, and to remember all the good things in life, including all the happy times I shared with Joongie during his short life. You remind me that life is good, that it is what we make of it. You’ve taught me to love, and I love you with all my heart. I can’t imagine life without you, Dara. And so I’m asking you now, if you feel the same way about me, will you marry me and be mine forever?”

Tears were rolling down Dara’s face. She nodded and pulled Jiyong to stand up, her hands in his. “I gave you my answer two years ago, my love. Yes, I’ll marry you. For me there is only you Kwon Jiyong. I’ll love you forever.”

 

 

**