Welcome home

Coffee Shop

Minseok's father nodded without a change in his facial expressions after Minseok’s corrections. “So you do know him. Any way, I had an interesting discussion with him. He told me you’ve been living off the money you earn yourself, rather than what we have sent you?”

Minseok’s eyes widened, wondering exactly what Jongdae had went around and told about him. “Yes. I wanted to become independent.” He answered, deciding being honest was the best, as one could never know what Jongdae had said.

“This coffee shop you are managing. Is it doing well?”

“There used to be another coffee shop there before where I worked as well. It did well so ours does too. A lot of the customers are regulars.” He felt rather proud saying that. He had managed to do something on his own, without the help of his family or their place in society. He had also proved his mother wrong, which certainly was a contribution.

His father blinked, his face finally changing. At first Minseok though he saw wrong – but then he remembered the last time they met, when he was told Minsoo had been sent abroad. That time too, he thought he had seen something flash across his father’s face. He thought it had been an illusion then, but there was no such things as seeing the same illusion twice. If he was, he needed to go to the mental ward. His father wasn’t an emotionless machine. This was the proof.

“Minseok, are you happy? With the life you are living? You don’t want to do something bigger?” his father said the words with honesty and care, something a real dad would do. This side was visibly foreign to everyone present in the room, but it didn’t mean it wasn’t welcomed.

“Yes, I am really happy. I don’t want to take over the company like mom wants me to, and I have never wanted to do it either.”

This had the older man sigh. “You’ve made some good friends, Minseok. This Jongdae-fellow even proposed a meeting with me to get you back. With someone… Yixing? Shouting in the background about breaking in and kidnapping you. Being willing to go to such lengths when they know who I am is truly an act of courage.” He paused for a moment, and seconds passed as he locked eyes with a more and more surprised Minseok. “And also, this Luhan. I talked to him as well, although he seemed more reluctant. Judging by his explanations, you’ve been a hero yourself. Sometimes, it isn’t the big things in life that matters, but rather the small things. I, more than anyone, tend to forget that more than I should. He seems honest and does not have any bad intentions, and I believe you’re a good match. I doubt you could have found someone better, I think he truly loves you.” And maybe those were the words that did it for Minseok.

The words made Minseok’s heart start beating faster, realizing where this was headed. The fact that Luhan had actually talked to his father in itself was so courageous… It made him really happy, and especially seeing how he had somehow convinced Minseok’s father as well. He turned his head to his mother, who was sitting there paralyzed, eyes wide in shock.

“Dear…” she muttered helplessly.

“Minhee, I’ve let you do as you want regarding our children, hoping that you would see what was best for them. But you are shoving something on Minseok that he does not want, while you push Minsoo away. I’ve watched our youngest results: he is business-minded and has expressed interest in the company while Minseok has not. It will not lead anything good, forcing our sons into positions they do not want. I think this is the time for you to step down for a while. Do not let your own, selfish desires blind you.” The words were soft and spoken in a friendly manner, but there was a certain tone of finality in his voice, giving the impression that the decision was not to be discussed. Minseok was well grown up, but he had never wanted to hug his father so badly all his life.

“T-thank you,” he managed to stammer, realizing his life was on track again, his mother was beaten.

The older man just nodded, wiping his hand with the linen tissue before standing up. “There shouldn’t have been a need for this,” he sighed. “But nonetheless, I will need to excuse myself. I have also received the news that Minsoo is returning, and as I’ve come to realize I’ve been too absent for my own liking. So instead of sending Yoon, I will personally - what do they call it? Yeah, pick him up. It seems we need to get some things on track.” And with what Minseok was sure was a small smirk on his father’s lips, the latter excused himself and exited the room.

“Wh… wha…” his mother tried to stutter, and Minseok smiled.

“I’m sorry,” he said. Seems like I’ll be able to do what I like anyways.” He shrugged and walked out, before something popped into his mind. In the doorway, he e last time. “Ah, and by the way. Also, I apologize about your closet.” Then he smiled at Yoon, and exited. Things had rarely been more satisfying.

 

 

When Minseok got home, there was no big party. Luhan didn’t jump into his arms and Jongdae didn’t pop out from somewhere with confetti. But Minseok realized that was just how he liked it. He sent a short ‘thank you’ message to Jongdae as he figured they would get a lot of time to talk about it, before he turned his phone completely off and entered his apartment. The first thing that hit him was the smell of the all-to-familiar recipe of his favourite hot pot, courtesy of Luhan.

Sighing, as it was way better than all the food he had been served the last few days, he silently took of his shoes in the hallway and walked into the kitchen with quiet steps. Luhan stood in front of the stove with a white apron on, humming quietly for himself as he fixed the side dishes.

“I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed this and it’s only been like three days.” Minseok said with a happy sigh in his voice, sitting down on a barstool on the small island in the middle of the kitchen.

Luhan, who hadn’t heard him come in, jumped in surprise at the sudden voice, but when he turned it was with a wide smile. Minseok thought he should at least be a little bit shocked, but instead he seemed calm, like e had expected it. “Minsoo told me you were coming home tonight,” Luhan explained and put the wide saucepan on the table. Then he found two plates for the both of them, and sat down opposite of Minseok. What hit the latter though, was how peaceful with nothing tense in the air. It was like Minseok just had gotten home from work like any other day, and Luhan was waiting for him. Not that Minseok minded though, because he could very much get used to that. At his parents house there was always this certain anxiousness and strained politeness between everybody, while the case was just opposite here. He preferred this by far.

At the mention of Minsoo however, he raised his eyebrows in suspicion. “You talked to my brother?” he asked surprised. He didn’t even talk to his brother, so how come Luhan had?

Luhan shrugged, while gesturing for Minseok to start filling his plate. “You didn’t mention he was overprotective, but he certainly is. He called me today, saying something about not breaking your heart and that he would hit me with a shovel if I did. Also, that I kept you in check and didn’t let you leave because then you would take his place in the company or whatever.” He smiled as he talked, implying that although Minsoo had meant it to be a threat, Luhan didn’t find it that way at all.

The news made Minseok’s eyes widen just a little bit in disbelief, but he decided to just let it go. Maybe he would get a better relationship to Minsoo as well. If so, that was just a bonus. So he just laughed instead, and started telling Luhan about the trouble he caused at home. The following evening passed just as low-paced, and it was absolutely great.

 

The following day was spent with a little bit quicker tempo. When he walked in the gates to the university the first thing in the morning, Tao and Sehun approached him (or rather; jumped on him and tackled him to the floor) with cheerful shouts. They continued to hang out with him rest of their classes, insisting to celebrate that the “evil plastic witch that should be thrown on the roof” was gone. How they had planned celebrating during the lectures Minseok had no idea, but luckily he managed to convince them not to and didn’t find out either.

When he went to his shift in the coffee shop Yixing was waiting in the door, waving at him. It was obvious they had managed just fine on their own, but Minseok was still glad to be back. When Minseok entered Yixing gave him a big hug, and Jongdae joined in shortly before he returned to the counter.

“I do not envy your job,” Yixing said honestly when they were in the staff room, where Minseok got changed. “We got some taxes in while you were away, and I tried to do them… I’m pretty sure we would have gone bankrupt without you,” he had a thoughtful look on his face as he spoke, twirling a lock of his hair.

“Thank my mother for that,” Minseok replied mischievously, knowing Yixing was going to fire up as he did so. And his predictions came true as well, to a certain extent.

Yixing furred his eyebrows, his kind eyes clouding over. “The only time I’m going to thank her is when she moves to Italy to become a nun,” he stated, before turning around to release Jongdae for his shift.

 

The clock was half past one when they closed for day, as Minseok went over stocks and numbers to be sure everything was correct. He and Luhan shared the last shift, and the latter insisted on helping him although tiredness was evident on his face. He went around and fixed things as Minseok worked, putting the books that had been misplaced right and looking through a few of them.

“Hey,” Luhan said as he stopped at one book, flipping through a couple of pages before he held it up to show Minseok. “Did you read this?”

Minseok turned around as he put the papers into the right folders and closed them. He felt so tired, he could have slept on the spot, but when he saw the book Luhan held up, the layer of sleepiness that seemed to have fallen over him disappeared. He hadn’t seen that book in forever, and thought someone had rented it without ever giving it back. It was leather-bound with silvery edges, spelling out ‘Joseph Bonanno: Man of Honour’ in golden letters. It was probably one of his all-time favourites of all the books they had.

Minseok nodded slowly at Luhan’s question. “Yeah, how did you know?” he asked, eyes still glued to the book. Where had it been all that time?

The corners of Luhan’s mouth turned upwards, his eyes lighting up with a teasing look. “This is a book on the Italian mafia,” he smiled. At first Minseok furred his eyebrows, not understanding where Luhan wanted with that fact, but then he remembered their first meeting. His head dropped as he groaned in embarrassment, obviously not getting rid of that story anytime soon.

“How do you even remember?” he asked, cheeks reddening by the second.

Luhan had obviously gotten the reaction he wanted, because he just laughed. “It’s kind of hard to forget when someone used a pickup-line like that on you,” he said.

Minseok looked up again, betrayal evident on his face. “But I didn’t even know it was a pickup-line at that time!” he stated. Luhan just shook his head in disapproval and walked over to pat Minseok on the shoulder, gathering the folders before carrying them into the safe in the staff room. They hadn’t found out where to place the office yet, so as of now Minseok did his work at home or after hours in the shop.

While Luhan was putting them away, Minseok stood up and stretched, rolling his shoulders. His neck felt stiff and his muscles were sore from sitting like he had for way too long. He sighed and followed Luhan to collect his jacket and shoes, glancing up at the lamps that hung up under the roof, emitting yellow light. It didn’t really light up as much as it should have and they should probably change it, but Minseok liked it. It bathed the shop in a calm light, and was especially comfortable when the sun went down behind the horizon.

“I’m tired,” he muttered as he put on his jacket and slipped into his shoes together with Luhan. He adjusted his hat so that it covered his ears, making sure the cold autumn-wind wouldn’t bite as hard as it usually did.

Luhan nodded at his comment, agreeing. He slung a grey scarf around his neck and buttoned up his jacket. “It’s one o’clock, you’re supposed to be,” he said. “Unless you’re Superman, that is,” his eyes turned into crescents at the last comment, leaving Minseok to roll his eyes.

“Who says I’m not Superman? Maybe I save the city when you’re asleep,” he said, raising an eyebrow.

Luhan just laughed. “I say so. You’re Minseok, and that’s enough. I wouldn’t want you to be Superman,” he decided.

Minseok sighed but gave Luhan a half-smile as they moved towards the door, and Luhan took one last look at the room to make sure everything was all right. “I guess so,” the older agreed.

They fell silent as they went through the stock room and behind the counter to make everything was turned off and in the right place, but when they walked towards the exit and Luhan spoke up again, it wasn’t the light, teasing tone anymore.

“Hey…” he muttered, suddenly stopping in his tracks with his eyes looking at the floor. Minseok, who had been walking in front, turned around and tilted his head questioningly. Luhan furred his eyebrows like he didn’t really know what to say, but then looked up at Minseok with an unsure glance.

“Is this…” he muttered. “Is this really over now? I mean, I’m almost done with my paybacks, your family has settled with your path… Do you think anything else will happen?” he sounded unsure, and Minseok couldn’t blame him. Whenever their lives seemed to settle down something new happened, putting them on the line. It was like Life loved teasing them, making them deal with new things all the time. It was like they could never get any proper rest, as there was always something. Minseok hated it, really. All he wanted to was being able to live quietly with Luhan, but the obstacles just kept reappearing all the time.

But instead of saying the same as Luhan, Minseok just shook his head and flashed the younger a smile.

“Nope. I’m not letting anything else happen now and if it does I will hit whatever comes our way with a shovel and throw it out the window,” he declared. Then he turned off the last lights in the shop and walked out with Luhan, before locking the door behind them. And so they started on their way home, Luhan casually slipping his cold fingers into Minseok’s as they disappeared into the night, one more time.

 


 

And that's officially the end, this went on for too long. But yeah, the end. This went on for almost a year? I can't believe it, honestly. I'm kind of relieved, in a way. I want to thank everyone of you who have been reading until the end, and I apologize for the extremely irregular updates. 

That said, there's been one thing that I've found myself being unclear about. Who's really canon in this story? Xiuhan is, of course. Yixing and Jongdae aren't quite there just yet, even though it's obvious something is going on. Tao and Sehun are best friends, Joonmyeon and Kris are trying a long distance-relationship, Jongin and Kyungsoo are emplyee/employer and very good friends, and Chanyeol and Baekhyun (Luhan's uni-friends, not actually mentioned by name) are best friends as well. I guess that's what it is to it. Now we'll say goodbye.

 

But wait! There is more (oh god really)! I really need your help to something. I have a lot of ideas for new stories, but I'm not quite sure what I want to start with. So if you could check out this link and give your reviews, I'd be so happy! There's a short summary for every one of them. They are much better planned than this already, though. Anyways, it's been a joy writing this, although it's been hard. I hope you liked the story!