1

Vacation

After a long day at work I finally get to go home. How can I expect work to not be stressful when I work at the mall? I pull out my phone and see I have a missed call from a private number. It’s not a call I would have answered so I don’t pay too much attention to it.

“Bye Arabella!”

The guy at the cell phone cart says way too happily.

“Bye Alfred.” I reply as dull as I can. I am trying my best to be nice to him without giving him any reason to think I like him the way he likes me. I keep walking towards the door and start to put my phone away.

“That missed call was from me.” A deep voice says as I walk out of the mall doors. I look over to see a very decorated military officer.

“And who are you?” I ask.

“I am a friend of Kennedy’s.”

“I see. Have a nice day.” I said walking away. I haven’t talked to my former best friend in almost two years, and for a good reason.

“Wait, there is an all-expense paid trip to South Korea involved.”  I stopped at this. I am currently working to save up to study there.

“What’s the catch?” I said turning toward him and raising an eyebrow.

“Kennedy has been promoted to Master Sergeant and I want to get him a present much better than the others,” He replied with a warm smile.

“Woah, forget it. I am not that kind of girl. And even if I was, Kennedy doesn’t have a chance.”

“Not that kind of present. He talks about you all the time to everyone except his current bimbo. According to him you used to be best friends.”

“Yes, but we are not anymore.”

“But you were best friends for thirteen years; you must miss him a little bit? He definitely misses you. I am not telling you to go and be best friends with him again, but I would like it if you would clear the air between you guys. He doesn’t even know why you hate him so much, so maybe if you talk it out you can at least stop hating each other?”

“So, let me get this straight. You will give me an all-expense paid trip to Korea and all I have to do is hash it out with Kennedy?”

“That’s correct.”

“Okay. When do I leave?”

He smiled. “One month from today. Here is your plane ticket.”

“How did you know I would say yes?”

“I can be very convincing! Plus, if you said no again I was going to get your grandpa on my side! We fought side by side in Vietnam and I also know that your entire family wanted you to marry Sergeant Kennedy!”

“That’s low.” I said glaring at him.

“Hey, all that matters is that my present will be better than everyone else’s! And you are staying at a five star hotel! I will send someone to pick you up when you reach Seoul. Good bye.” He got into what looked to be a bullet-proof car and drove away. This is definitely not how I expected my day to go. I was planning to never speak to that man again; I even changed my number. But at least I get a free trip to Korea out of it! Maybe I will get to see one of my favorite celebrities while I am there!