Best Friend

What Could Be
Please log in to read the full chapter

You grinned as you watched the distant figure yell in frustration and kick the goalpost before crying out again in pain and hopping on one foot.
You giggled, starting to sprint towards the field, your soccer bag bouncing against your waist.
The soccer field was like your home, you felt the most alive and natural there.
“Don’t hurt yourself!” you called as you neared the sidelines, the figure now pacing back and forth, his face full of irritation.
“Stupid,” he said upon your arrival.
You raised an eyebrow, setting your stuff down on the bag and bending down to tighten the laces of your cleats.
“I’m only a few minutes late,” you smirked up at him.
“Not you,” Luhan paused in his pacing and looked up, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Grace rejected me again and the next thing you know, she’s hooked up with some stupid jock and is locking lips with his disgusting mouth.”
You grimaced partially because of the details partially because of something else.
See...here’s the thing. Luhan was your best friend. He was always there for you. And of course you couldn’t help falling head over heels for his doe-look eyes eventually.
But as soon as your feelings had surfaced, he had to go all crazy over that Grace girl. You didn’t understand why. She wouldn’t even give him the time of day. But you kept your mouth shut, continuing to be his friend because that’s what friends were for.
Every day, seeing him made you happy. You were scared to ruin the bond between the two of you, afraid that he would turn his back on you if he ever learned about your feelings for him. So you kept your distance, content but not exactly satisfied as his best friend.
“Can we please not talk about relationships or drama or anything and just play?” you changed the topic. “Come on. Let’s just enjoy this beautiful day together. Forget about Grace. She’s not worth it.”
He sighed, closing his eyes before reopening them and turning his head towards you.
“You’re right. I’m sorry for being so selfish these past few weeks,” he apologized, smiling ruefully.
“Stop talking already and let’s play!” you ripped off your hoodie and ran onto the field, the fresh air filling your lungs as you watched him dribble the ball towards you.
“You’re going down, _______!” he laughed.
“Bring it!” you screamed back.
.~.
After nearly two hours of nonstop soccer, you let your knees buckle as you slid to the ground, the grass against your back. You were exhausted, and you could tell that Luhan was too as he settled down next to you.
“Who won?” you managed to gasp.
“Can’t...remember,” he panted. “Why is the world spinning?”
You laughed, the sound echoing in the quietness of the almost empty field.
The two of you had run through some practice drills together, pushing each other to the limits, before deciding to start a game.
The game had been intense, you scoring some and Luhan scoring some. Both of you had your own unique style when it came to soccer, a flair of talent.
You were pretty sure that Luhan had won because he was just too good but you weren’t going to let him know that.
He stood up suddenly, offering a hand. You took it, tingles running down your arm as his skin brushed against yours.
“Well,” he said as he pulled you up. “I be

Please log in to read the full chapter