Chapter 1

The Ugly Duckling

Jung Soobin

"Ugh, why do you look so bad all the time?" A girl had asked me, her rather high-pitched voice piercing through my ears. "It's so disgusting. Really. You can't even spend 10 minutes in the morning combing that rat nest you call hair?" She asked as she slowly pulled at my long, rather tangled (I'll give her that), black locks. 

I said nothing, and simply ignored her along with the rest of her group and went back to the math problems in my textbook on my desk. 

"Are you deaf? Or just stupid?" She continued and turned to the rest of her cronies, "Guys, not only is she ugly, but she's stupid and deaf too! Wow, God is definitely not fair." She sighed, "I mean, just look at me, its rather hard to be this beautiful and this intelligent isn't it?"

I simply rolled my eyes and mumbled, "It definitely must be?"

"Excuse me, did you say something?"

I shook my head and went back to my math problems.

"Can you please listen to me when I'm talking to you?" She asked suddenly, pushing the mathbook off my desk, along with my pencils and notebook, in retaliation.

"Hey, that's not cool. Don't do that," Byun Baekhyun shouted from the back of the room and he walked slowly up to the group of girls that had been harrassing me, "A girl as beautiful and intelligent as yourself wouldn't do something like that, I'm sure?"

I rolled my eyes. Byun Baekhyun was one of the more popular boys at school and most likely only rose to that level due to his good looks and his wit. Though, I never found anything funny or impressive with that wit nor did I understood why girls swooned (much like the girl in front of me) at him. Perhaps it was in the book of social rules, that I didn't bother to ever flip through.

The girl smiled and giggled at Baekhyun for what seemed like forever (I ended up picking up all my stuff from the floor and made it through two more problems) and then turned to me and stated, "You're luckly that Baekhyun oppa is here. I don't put up with disrespect, just so you know."

And then for the first time in a long time, the strings of calmness and patience snapped. I stood up abruptly and said, "I don't need anyone to stand up for me. I can do it myself."

The entire classroom had gone silent. Most likely in shock, for it was probably the first time the entire semester I said more than "Present" and "Yes." 

Baekhyun had looked at me puzzled, probably because no other girl hadn't swoon at his presence. I simply said nothing as I roughly threw the items in my backpack while the entire class watched on in silence. I threw my backpack over my shoulders and turned to glare at Baekhyun and replied, "Despite your good intentions, I would prefer if you didn't. I'm not a child and I am perfectly able to handle my own situations."

Then I turned to leave.

I walked down the empty hallway -- study hall was still in session after all. 

"JUNG SOOBIN!" I turned around quickly and saw Baekhyun running up to me in the hallway. He quickly grabbed my elbow and began pulling me back into the direction of our classroom. "What the hell do you think you are doing? What are you trying to pull?" The other students in our classroom had started staring out of the door and other classes began to watch this entire ridiculous spectacle through the windows.

I quickly yanked my elbow out of his grip and stared at him straight in the eye. "I am not one of your stupid girlfriends nor are we even friends. The only thing we know about each other is our names. You have no right to make me do anything. Why can't you just leave me alone? I have nothing to do with you!" 

"Why are you so stupid? I'm trying to help you! Don't you think that I see you by yourself a lot already? Why can't you be a normal person and just accept my help?" Baekhyun yelled.

I rolled my eyes in frustration, "Maybe because every other time someone tried to help me, it was because of a dare or they could go around saying that they got the ugly duckling's ity!" 

That shut him up. And possibly stunned him. During the silence, I replied, "Damn you, Byun Baekhyun. I don't need your charity."

And then I ran away.

In hindsight, that probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done. Attempting to run home from school, which ended up being a good 10 kilometers. 

I entered my small apartment, in the more "ghetto" part of Seoul. God, now that I think about it, I am going to get killed for leaving school early. I suppose I should just go in early tomorrow morning to explain things to my homeroom teacher, Ms. Song.

I kicked off my shoes at the entrance and walked about 5 meters to my bed. As soon as I hit the mattress, I instantly began to regret what I said today.

 

                                                                                                                                 

Hi, so this is the first chapter, and Soobin and Baekhun have made their first official meeting. Also, the name listed before the chapter starts is the person the chapter's point of view is under. I'm mostly going to switch between Jung Soobin and Byun Baekhyun. 

It might be a little confusing at the beginning, but more will be revealed as the story continues.

Anyway, I hope you comment and subscribe! Thanks~