All The Meanwhile

If I Were You, My Good Girl.

Leehye unnie's words suddenly flooded through my mind again as Soohyuk oppa turned away to talk on the phone. I was dazed and frozen in place. The director immediately picked up a stash of folders and clipboards and dashed out of the room, shouting orders to the crew. "the way he looks at you--- whew!" Leehye unnie's taunting voice echoed as if spoken years ago. The way it hit me was like something I've never felt before. I've always been with the boys ever since my trainee days, and it was never awkward in the least. Youngbae oppa being the sunshine guy that he is, had always treated me like a little sister more than anyone else. Yanggeng, whom I don't even call oppa, treated me as an equal more than anyone else, like a fellow colleague, and long time friend. Soohyuk oppa, always so kind and chivalrous, treated me like a lady more than anyone else, always cautious to my needs and quietly taking care of me... Then there's Jiyong oppa...

"I know, I know." Soohyuk oppa's irritated tone cut straight through my thoughts, irritation was not a familiar sound when it comes to Soohyuk oppa. "Then report it like a side job. I know, but it's MY face! I should still have the right to putting it where I want, right? Then it'll be a surprise. Alright, put it on me. It'll be on me then, don't worry about it. Okay. Bye." He hung up and sighed with furrowed eyebrows, it was like nothing I've ever seen him do, I've never even seen him sigh before. 

"I'm sorry, we should've just waited." I said quietly. Feeling very small and foolish in my overly extravagant metal outfit. When Soohyuk oppa didn't reply, I dared to look up to see his face, only to be shocked. To my surprise, he was staring at me with the biggest grin on his face, a bright gleam shone in his eyes, making him look very much like a greek god in delight. I felt my mouth drop open, and just as I was going to ask him why the face, he walked over to me with a smile.

"Chaerinnie," He said with his deep voice, while fixing some feathers in my hair. "My agent was actually ecstatic." He laughed as my mouth dropped even wider.

"But you sounded so..."

"He was making a fuss about how I didn't let him know earlier on, so he could've released it to the press before the issue comes out." Soohyuk oppa shrugged. "But he knows I don't want it to be a big deal, so if the company is upset about it, I told him to put it on me." He smiled again, with his twinkling eyes.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked, still remembering his initial expression of sadness when I asked him of this favor.

"Why not?" He replied quietly, the gentleness settling in his eyes again. "It's a Vogue cover photo shoot with Queen Chaerinnie, why wouldn't I want to?"

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

She finally smiled again, and director Park soon escorted me to wardrobe to get me ready for the shoot, while Chaerinnie was taken away to wait by the set. As I emerged from the dressing rooms, I see her sitting and talking with Leehye noona, she looked at me and smiled and waved, all worry swept away from her face. I secretly breathed a huge breath of relief in my mind, though I could barely contain my excitement when she was worried about my well being when I was speaking to my agent, I still didn't want to see her look so worried and guilty. None of this was her fault. The delay of the photoshoot, me being asked to suddenly shoot with her, and Jiyong being... Jiyong. She was only caught in all of this, the most innocent figure, yet also the center figure as well. I glance at her again as a makeup artist came up to make some final touches on my face, she was sitting by the set, cloaked in metallic pieces and dark feathers, looking very vulnerable with the soft lace in her dress, yet aloof and untouchable with the sharp edges on her metal accessories, but her eyes were shining were still herself, so kind and pure. I had to shake my head to stop myself from staring. My heart has become dangerously on the verge of breaking out the more I spend time with her, I suddenly am very impressed by Jiyong, just how does he keep from all his emotions?

"Why, you sure look very nice." Chaerin's voice pulled me back to reality, I looked up, shocked to see that she was standing right in front of me, smiling meekly.

"I always look very nice." I reply nonchalantly, though my heart increased a few beats to her compliment.

"Jeez, you models." She rolled her eyes and smiled, mischevious and lovely at its best combination. "But the knight look does suit you very well, what with your sulky face and bone structure." She started to examine me up and down, now with a professional look in her eyes. I was wearing some sort of chainmail hanging off the right side of my torso, along with sharp metal parts sticking out of my shoulders, feathers were stuck on the left side of my torso, dark shiny leather pants, and some edgy boots. The model was a little shorter than I was, so I could only wear the accessories, and the other apparel was gathered together from previous shoots I've done in Vogue. The entire outfit was almost a complete match to Chaerin's dark leather dress with metals and feathers, we looked quite medieval and dark.

"My sulky face and bone structure." I repeated her words. "Mind you, I make good money with this sulky face and bone structure of mine. Plus you don't look too cheery yourself right now." I said and gestured at her heavy eyeliner and goth makeup.

"Then we should match just fine." She smiled that irresistable eye smile of hers. I froze momentarily until the director shouted some instructions for us to get into place to begin the shoot.

The main theme was a dawning of a new reign, with Chaerin as the queen/face of the new conquering, and I was knight, (basically just something to accompany Chaerin, I was only in few of the shots, helping her off a horse, or standing behind her with a flag.) It was all very typical, and being so accustomed to modeling, I was in complete work mode while we were shooting. Chaerin was also silent, and serious with her mind bent on getting the shoot done perfectly. Until...

"Soohyuk-ah, why don't we try something." The photographer called out and finally removed his face from behind the camera, I recognize him instantly from other photo shoots I've done with Vogue, the name was... Jimin. "Hold on, take five.--Director!" He raised his hand to ask us to relax before running over and conversing quietly with the director.

"What's going on?" Chaerin turned and asked me as the makeup team swarmed up to touch up our makeup and feathers.

"I don't know, probably some sudden idea, Jimin's like that." I reply.

"Who's Jimin?" Chaerin looked childishly perplexed, very much in contrast with her fierce outfit and makeup.

"The photographer." I laugh, causing a feather to fall off from my face, one of the makeup ladies caught it swiftly and stuck it back on. "Thank you, Hyora." and the makeup team paused and stared at me, the one who caught the feather's name was Hyora, I was sure, but for some reason she blushed and looked very astounded, yet she nodded and quickly left us when we were done fixed up.

"You really are good with names." Chaerin smiled and looked after the team as they rushed away. "But you might give people the wrong impression."

"What do you mean?"

"I would consider myself a very dedicated person in my line of work, and I try to remember the people I work with." Chaerin sighed and sat down, not knowing where this was going, I sat down as well. "But there is just no way for me to remember names. Sure I can remember the faces and what company they're from or what their profession is, or at most, sometimes their last names. But YOU, a model who deals with countless people, much more than a musician might, remember a random makeup team artist's whole first name."

"Hyuk-ah, the girls are fussing again." Leehye noona's voice cut through abruptly and I looked up to see the artist with her hands on her hips, looking impressive as always. "Aish, didn't I tell you to be careful? Don't be such a player!" Chaerin also glanced up and chuckled.

"What? What did I do?" I feel very falsely accused. "I'm naturally good with names! What do you mean by wrong impressions?!" I look back at Chaerin.

"When famous gorgeous guys remember a girl's name, they'll start to think they have a chance." Leehye noona answered instead, Chaerin nodded her head in agreement. I was shocked into silence, running over their words in my head.

"I know you're just being polite," Chaerin laughed. "You are such a gentleman after all. But they might get their hopes up, only to have it fall." She glanced over towards the girls again. I felt quite complicated-- She was worrying about some stranger's thoughts about me, just because I remembered their names, but she couldn't tell how crazy I'm going over her? If remembering someone's name was such a big deal, what about all the things I remember about her? I remember her birthday, when she debuted, the date that 2NE1 won their first inkigayo, I remember that she's allergic to seafood and green peppers, I remember her shoe size, I remember her preference in jewelry, I remember-- And I suddenly remember they're still in front of me, and I was just standing there silently, staring back at them.

"You okay?" Leehye noona scoffed. 

"Yeah, I'm just deleting the files of names in my memory dock." I recovered and joked.

"Great, that'll save a few broken hearts," Leehye noona chuckled again. "Also my temper, it's so much better to work with unassuming makeup artists."

"I don't mean to break or make people assume anything." I rolled my eyes at her. "What are you doing here anyways?" I said, it was rare to see her out on the set, being the respected designer that she is, she usually just leaves the touch-ups to the team, and sleep in the dressing rooms.

"Excuse you, Mr. Rude." Leehye noona flicked my arm, I flinch in protest. "Park-rector wants to set up a slightly different concept, the photographer's idea." She said as she began to pluck out the feathers from Chaerin's hair.

"And what is that?" Chaerin asked, letting Leehye noona do what she wants without even blinking.

"Don't know, I was just told to make you guys match more." Leehye noona shrugged and began to stick some of the feathers she plucked from Chaerin onto me.

"We're already matched quite enough." I said, while exchanging confused glances with Chaerin.

"Not enough apparently." Leehye noona smiled a sly smile, and tousled out Chaerin's hair from its original complex braid, spraying some spray in there to make it fluff out, instantly making Chaerin look more feminine than fierce. "Alright now, my work is done here. Watch yourselves now, kids." She strode away with her signature laugh that was accompanied with the clacking of her platform heels. I never understood that woman.

"Soohyuk, CL-shi, you guys set?" Jimin asked when we got back on blacony set where I was supposed to be standing below the balcony, keeping a watchful eye out by the castle/set. I naturally walked to my spot and waited. "No, Soohyuk-ah, go join CL-shi on the balcony."

Though I thought it would make the picture rather unbalanced, I walked up there without complaint like a professional model would. I leaned against a column across from Chaerin to keep the photo from looking to heavy on her side. She sat on the railings of the balcony with folded arms, looking very royal.

"Very good pose, CL-shi." The photographer snapped a few shots, then paused again. "No, Soohyuk-ah, go stand by CL-shi. With your arms around, like you're almost angry at her. Like you guys just had a fight."

I was dumbfounded, but said "Okay." as the photographer's words are the law in a photoshoot. I walk over and easily surrounded Chaerin's frame with my arms with even some space left over. She shuffled her dress slightly so that I wouldn't step on it, I look up to stare into her face. Inches away from mine, she was looking at me with an unexplainable expression, somewhere between fear and anxiety, not knowing if it was because of the shoot's set up or her real expression, I remained in my work mode, stifling down my heart's desire to beat out of my chest...

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

(Chaerin's POV)

Soohyuk oppa's face was closer to mine than he has ever been before. I could feel his breath on my cheeks, and his long eyelashes fluttered closely to my forehead. Up close, his skin was a perfect porcelin, I wondered why did they even put makeup on him, his large sultry eyes remained motionless, his lips pursed together in the way that models do, and his expressions were a mystery. I couldn't tell what I was feeling, I could definitely feel my heart pounding, but if I were this close to anyone, muchless someone who looked as impossibly gorgeous as Soohyuk oppa, I'd be pretty rushed. But with him, it's almost like; I'm intimidated. The entirety of him is just overwhelming. His kindness and carefree attitude when on his down time, his loyalty and kindness with his friends, his professional and respectful demeanor when it comes to the people he works with, knowing everyone's names and never forgetting his manners regardless of who he's dealing with, his gentleness with me, and Leehye unnie's words... Honestly at first I was worried, but soon after as I observed his way of interacting with people, I realized it could just be a misunderstanding. He is just too kind. Though I've known him for years, I would not like to find out that I was like the makeup team girls; just thinking over my mind and mistaking his kindness for affection. I am sure he is just a natural gentleman, and Leehye unnie's had it wrong. Yet right now, with him up so close to me, his existence is just so mysterious and staggeringly perfect. I suddenly forget I was in the middle of a shoot, and began to truly feel daunted by our close proximity, and began to back away from him. Then the director shouted...

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

"Chaerin!" I shouted as she began to slip off the railing, her shiny dress too slippery for the marble balcony. I reach forward just in time to grab her waist, stopping her from completely falling off the railings, the sudden halt of her weight dropping down and my arms pulling her back, the dress made a loud R-I-I-I-I-P-P.

"Shoot!" She cursed from under her breath, and quickly grabbed on to my shoulders as I began to pull her back. As soon as she got back on her weight, she grabbed the dress and jumped off from the railing and onto the floor of the balcony, her left hand still gripping tightly on the sleeve of my shirt.

"Are you okay?!" The director rushed over, even Leehye noona followed after him, looking worried.

"Yeah, I'm fine, the dress--" Chaerin lifted her dress, which is now slit, and her right leg was almost completely exposed, I turned away quickly, feeling the blood rushing to my cheeks.

"Nevermind the dress." Leehye noona cut in, looking over Chaerin's entire body, and after Chaerin's nod, she breathed a sigh. "Jimin! Did you get your damn pictures?!" She turned and almost roared at Jimin.

"Yes!" The photographer exclaimed, looking jubilant, but sobered immediately when he saw Leehye noona's glare. "I mean, yes, that's enough for today."

"Thank you Soohyuk for grabbing her, though we do have the safety precautions below," Director Park looked like he was going to cry with his hands hovering around Chaerin, looking very helpless, much like a child scared of breaking an expensive toy. "I am so truly sorry, please feel free to leave now, if there were any problems, let us know."

"It's okay, it's been great working with you, director. You're very kind." Chaerin responded with a genuine smile, and reached out to shake the director's hand, who in return bowed deeply.

"We can send you the pictures for overview via email, and you can just select the ones you like. We will no longer inconvinience you on your plans for tonight." He even retreated while bowing. I almost wanted to laugh, I always forget just how big Chaerin has gotten to be, and what the name CL means now.

"Come along," Leehye noona put her arms around Chaerin's back and looked back at me and whispered. "And you, go fix yourself up." And took Chaerin away.

Confused, I walked to the dressing rooms and looked down at myself, and I realized that there were blood running down my arm. I then felt a slight sting on my elbow, I rolled my sleeve up to see quite a nasty scrape running down my right arm. It must've been when I reached out to grab Chaerin, it probably scraped along the metals along the sides of her dress.

I quickly cleaned the wound in a restroom, feeling thankful for Leehye noona for telling me privately. She knew I was supposed to be doing only runways now, and that if I earned a wound doing a photoshoot that I've stubbornly stuck myself in, the company would be livid. If it was in the tabloids, Chaerin would be under fire, and I would probably be fobidden from interacting with YG artists ever again. Now judging from the wound, it should be cleared up within a few days, with a bit of concealer, it'd look like nothing at all. I sigh, thankful that all I had to pay was this for Chaerin's safety...

But she was backing away from me. That was why she almost fell.

I've had models back away from me before, the inexperienced ones of course, but I could see the fright in Chaerin's eyes before she slipped. She looked as though I was scaring her, truly scaring her. I couldn't figure it out, I know I was rather close to her, but it was under the photographer's order. And honestly, we weren't even touching, and knowing Chaerin and her professionalism, the proximity shouldn't have been enough to scare her to a point of putting herself in danger. I sunk down on the sofa, tossing my shirt to the other side of the room. What did I do? How did I manage to scare Lee Chaerin into slipping off a balcony during a photoshoot? 

"Soohyuk oppa?" Chaerin's head popped through the door.

"Whoa!" I cried out and almost jumped out of my skin.

"I'm sorry! The door was open!" Her head disappeared behind the door, her voice sounding very embarrassed.

"It's okay, you just shocked me." I breathed deeply. "You can come in."

"But you don't have your shirt on!" She sounded increasingly abashed, her husky voice becoming cutely higher pitched.

Shocked, I laughed out loud. Surprised by her modesty, I grabbed my shirt from before the shoot and threw it on.

"Why are you laughing?!" Her voice was adorably frustrated.

"Lee Chaerin, on a regular basis, you dance with two half , sweaty twins--" I pulled the door open, to find her covering her entire face with her two hands, cowering away from the doorway. The sight was almost too much for me to bear, there she was with her long sharp nails, wearing thousands of dollars worth of jewelry, and her swagged-out baggy clothes, hiding away from my supposed torso. "I'm dressed now." I laugh.

She glanced up from her hands, her eyes squinted as if in disbelief, and she breathed a sigh of relief. I laugh again at her overeaction.

"Donnie and Deukie are different! They're like my brothers." She pouted in defiance, answering my previous accusation.

"Like Jiyong?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Not in that way..." She looked off at another direction, my heart jerked in pain a little. "The twins' bodies are like furniture to me." I laughed out loud again, if the popular Kwon twins heard this, they'd flip. "But you're different." She added.

"Why, because I'm paler than all the Kwons?" I chuckle, and take the bags off her shoulder and began escorting ourselves to the exit.

"No," She giggled and then suddenly paused, I looked back at her face, it was again that strange expression she had right before falling off the balcony, I instinctively tensed. "You're just different." She restated, and to my uttermost surprise...

She blushed.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

"Ahhhhhh!!!!!" I yelled in frustration, and leaned back on my chair with a big stretch.

All the meanwhile, I've been in the studio for at least 3 hours after checking the security camera tapes for the freak who sent Chaerin the package, and after making a copy of the file and sending it to YG and the security department, I made straight to the studio to try to work on the song for 2NE1's album. For the first hour, I basically just sat in the seat, staring at the computer screen, not unlike the night before heading to Chaerin's. I still was quite raw from discovering Soohyuk's feelings for Chaerin, and from hearing Chaerin saying I'm like her brother... I couldn't focus on writing anything, my mind was over spilling with the thought of them being at the photoshoot together. Around the second hour, I decided to stop being a and LINE messaged Chaerin. With the intention of making sure she won't forget my existence. Then I fumbled around with a few rifts of melody, hoping to at least be somewhat productive. Then comes the third hour, I grew more and more restless at the lack of reply from her. I know it's a freaking photoshoot, but she could at least send me a sticker or something! I stared at the tiny letters of "Read" on the side of my texts, and started to pace around the studio.

- - -deng deng deng- - -

Chaerin: "Oppa, we're done."

Chaerin: "Let's meet up at the BBQ place? Got your coffee!"

I almost jumped in joy at the flash of my screen. I looked up at the window of the recording room to check my reflection; my hair was slightly messy, which is no problem, nothing a hat won't fix, my clothes are rumpled, but it looks fine anyway. I grabbed my leather jacket and my keys, saved the file (with barely anything in it) of the song inthe computer, and marched out the door with a smile on my face.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another one has been done! This took a little while, 'cause I've been a little caught up with life again. But I am trying! How are you, everyone? Did you have a nice Lunar new year? Hope I haven't lost you guys yet! I've been seeing a lot of comments about how you guys are starting to side with Soohyuk... (secret is, I'm a little biased too... shh!) But who knows? Jiyong seems to be finally more up front about his feelings, and Chaerin's starting to notice Soohyuk in a new light... What will happen next?

THANK YOU GUYS so much again for giving me the opportunity to share my crazy ideas with you. And also for staying with me and leaving comments. You're all such gorgeous lights in my life. Please continue to talk to me via the comments, I want to know what you all think!

May you all continue to be happy, God bless you!