Secrets

Being Human

Note: So, I'm probably going to double update today! Mostly because I havent updated in a while and I'll be going on a short break for the next week due to finals and such. Anyway, please enjoy and don't forget to COMMENT COMMNET COMMENT!! :)

Thank you!

______________________________________________________________________________________

“None of this makes sense!” Seungri threw down the file on the desk and sighed. Chaerin walked by and patted his back to ease his stress.

 

    “Whoever is doing this is out of control...the amount of homicides have increased over the course of a few weeks. Dara and Bom, what did you two find last night?” Chief Yang asked.

 

    Both girls looked at each other before Bom finally spoke up. “It seems whoever did this wasn’t acting alone. There were multiple people involved.”

 

    “You mean to tell me there is more than one deranged psycho killer on the loose?”

 

    “It appears so. We didn’t really get a good look at their faces but these people aren’t normal. They’re dangerous…”

 

    “Then we have to do everything we can to bring these bastards down. And that is why we brought in one of the top investigators in the country. Team, meet Detective Kim Jaejoong.”

 

    A tall man with blonde hair walked into the room, dressed in a black suit and tie. He wore a slight smirk on his face as his eyes landed on Dara. Dara’s eyes narrowed. There was something about this guy that she didn’t trust. But she has heard about his work and it was quite impressive. Besides, Chief Yang seemed to trust him and Dara trusted her Chief. “Hello, everyone. I look forward to working with you.”

 

    “Detective Kim is going to be in charge of this from now and we will follow his lead, is that understood? If anyone has a problem with that, leave this room now.”

 

    Dara looked around the room but no one moved. Chief Yang nodded. “Good. Then let’s get to work. We need to bring these monsters down.”

 

    “And we will...Oh, and I hope you don’t mind. I brought in some muscle.”

 

    Jaejoong nodded to the two men who stood in the other room, taking out a bunch of weaponry. Dara suddenly felt anxious. If these men were trained to hunt the worst kind of killers, she was afraid that eventually they would be able to find Jiyong, too. “Yoochun and Junsu are my best friends as well as my best men. They’ve helped me a lot on my cases. I believe they are just the people for this job.”

 

    “What exactly are they going to do with all of those weapons?” Dara asked.

 

    “Kill the monsters of course. You have nothing to worry about, Miss…”

 

    “Park.”

 

    “Miss Park, we will catch these monsters and we will kill every. single. one.”

 

    Dara shuddered at the way he emphasized every word. She looked at Bom who looked just as nervous as she did. The two girls were worried that sooner or later they would get found out and Jiyong and Top would get into trouble, more so for Jiyong. “That’s...great…” Dara sighed and tried to calm herself down.

 

----------------------------------------

 

Butterfly Cafe

 

    Dara and Bom went across the street to a small cafe for their break. They sat in the far back corner of the cafe and made sure that there was no one around to hear them. They needed to discuss a plan of action just in case things blew out of proportion. “What are we going to do? Jaejoong is like a bloodhound. He’ll eventually find Jiyong and kill him.” Bom took a sip of her coffee and sighed.

 

    “Don’t worry. We’ll figure something out. Jaejoong won’t find Jiyong. We’ll just have to cover his tracks and make sure he doesn’t go out into public at all.”

 

    “How are we going to do that? He’s going to want to go out...especially to see you.”

 

    Dara blushed at Bom’s statement and shook her head. “I’ll talk to him and make sure he doesn’t. I don’t need him looking after me all the time. Besides, I’M not the one everyone wants.”

 

    “Do you really think Jiyong will listen to you? Because I’m pretty sure, he’ll just disregard you warning and end up stalking you everywhere. He’s really determined to keep you safe, Dara. I think he’s serious about you.”

 

    “That’s not important right now, Bom. I don’t have time for frivolous emotions. We have a job to do and we need to do it right. We can’t afford to have any distractions. Our main priority is to protect him, not fall for him.”

 

    “Alright, alright. So then, how are we going to protect him?”

 

    “We lead Jaejoong away from him. If happens to find something leading to Jiyong, we’ll lead him the other way. We just have to be a step ahead of him.”

 

    Bom nodded and took another sip coffee. Dara finished off her cup and placed it down on the table, staring at the cup. Her eyes flickered to the window. She groaned when she saw a familiar figure approaching the cafe. “What is it?” Bom asked, turning around to look at who it was.

 

    “Oh, crap…”

 

    “Yea…”

 

    Dara rubbed her temple as she heard the cafe door open. She didn’t even dare to look up as the person approached them. Instead, she stayed staring at his feet. “What do you want, Il Woo?” She muttered.

 

    “I came to apologize…”

 

    “What?” Dara snapped her head up and looked at him in shock. “Say that again.”

 

    “I said I came to apologize. I was out of line the other night and I never should have threatened you. I was just angry and a little jealous. So, I’m sorry. I hope you’ll forgive me and we can just start over.”

    

    Il Woo extended his hand toward her. She looked at it suspiciously. There was something about Il Woo’s calm unusual calm demeanor that threw her off. However, he just smiled at her warmly and kept his hand out in front of her. Dara looked at Bom but Bom just shrugged. “Are you serious?”

 

    “What I said was wrong...look, you’re right. Whatever that thing was, saved our lives. I shouldn’t have acted to rash.”

 

    “Okay, then…” Dara hesitantly shook his hand.

 

    “I’m glad we’re alright. I’ll see you two ladies back at work.”

 

    Il Woo winked and walked out of the cafe. Dara furrowed her brows, confused by how Il Woo had just given up so easily. It wasn’t like him to back down so easily. Something was definitely off… Bom sensed it, too and glared at his fleeting figure. “Something isn’t right…”

 

    “I know. That was so unlike him. I think he’s hiding something.” Dara said, still following Il Woo with her eyes.

 

    “We need to keep an eye on him.”

 

    “Agreed. Anyway, I’m going to head down to warehouse after work. You coming with me?”

 

    “I guess. I might as well since you somehow managed to drag me into your .” Bom kicked Dara playfully.

 

    “Hey! You drag me into , too! And I wouldn’t ask you to do this for me if it weren’t so important. You know I believe in justice just as much as you do and I don’t think there’s any justice in killing Jiyong. He’s innocent. He didn’t do anything really wrong.”

 

    “I know. He and Top told me his story. He told me about his sister and SM...I can’t believe someone could do that to another human being. I just don’t understand.”

 

    “Neither do I. Jiyong doesn’t deserve any of this. But that’s why I’ll do whatever it takes to keep him safe. He shouldn’t have to live his life like this. Do you think there’s some way to cure him?”

 

    Bom shrugged. “I-I don’t know. But if they managed to change him into what he is, then I’m sure there’s a way to reverse it. There has to be.”

 

    “I hope so…”

 

--------------------------------

 

Unknown Location

 

    Il Woo sat at a table across from another man. He watched as the man went over his reports. His fingers drummed anxiously against the cold metal as the man scanned over the papers. “Your work is impressive, Dr. Jung.”

 

    “Th-thank you…”

 

    “It will be most helpful in finding our old friend. And I can assure you, we’ll keep him locked up nice and tight like the animal he is.”

 

    Il Woo nodded. “Good.”

 

    “That will be all for today, Dr. Jung. We’ll keep in touch.”

 

    The man smiled before gathering up the papers and left. Il Woo bit his lip and stared at the blank walls of the white room he was in. I’m making the right choice...this is to protect Dara. These guys will keep her safe...right?

 

-----------------------------------------

Warehouse

9:30 PM

 

    Dara and Bom pulled up at the warehouse and sunk looked around, making sure they weren’t being followed. They slipped through the fence and knocked on the door. Top opened it and immediately let them in. They thanked him and walked upstairs to Jiyong’s room. Dara raised a brow when she found him strapped down to a chair. “What are you doing?”

 

    “Top’s trying to find a cure for me. He’s been injecting random crap into me all day. But nothing has worked so far.”

 

    “Isn’t that a little dangerous? I mean, what if one of his ‘cures’ cause you to blackout again and go on a killing rampage?”

 

    “Speaking of blackouts, I found the cause of it.” Top said as he walked over to his laptop. “It’s not you Dara.”

 

    Dara let out a sigh of relief. “Well, if it isn’t me then what’s causing it? I mean, he seems to be fine now…”

 

    “That’s because there are no other beasts around. When Jiyong senses a beast near by his adrenaline kicks in and it triggers his beast side. Well, that and whenever he feels angry but again, when you feel angry the adrenaline kicks in.”

 

    “So, basically it’s his adrenaline rushes that trigger it. But that means he’ll never be able to do anything that requires too much energy.”

 

    “I think it may be a more rare thing. He hasn’t out in a while, so I think that means his animal blood has cooled down and needs time to heat up again.”

 

    Dara looked at Jiyong. He sighed before looking up at her with tired eyes. Dara couldn’t help but feel bad for him. He must really be tired going through everything he was going through. But she  remembered what they came here for. Dara cleared causing both men to look at her. “So, the reason why we came here is to warn you…”

 

    “Warn us? About what?”

 

    “Our Chief just hired a new investigator and believe me this guy is damn good. He’s going to be on the hunt for you along with his two goons.” Bom said.

 

    “Then we’ll make sure to be careful. I’ll make sure Jiyong doesn’t go out.”

 

    “Whoa, whoa, what? I need to be able to go out, especially during the nights. I need to make sure none of these beasts attack more people.”

 

    “I know but before you can protect other people, you need to protect yourself. So, just stay inside, ok? We can’t have Jaejoong finding out about you.” Dara touched his shoulder gently.

 

    Jiyong looked at her hand before lifting his head to look at her face. Again, he felt that familiar tug in his heart. She just had this amazing ability to make his heart race and slow down at the same time...it was something hadn’t felt in a long time. But he couldn’t feel this way for her...it was impossible and it would only put her in danger, even more than she already was. “Will you be alright without me looking after you?”

 

    “Jiyong, I’ll be fine. You need to stop worrying so much about me and start worrying more about yourself. You’re the one who’s at a greater risk than all of us. You spent three years protecting me...now it’s my turn to protect you.”

 

    “But I want you to be safe...if something happened to you because of me, I...I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. I just…” Jiyong shook his head. Dara raised a hand and placed it upon his cheek.

 

    “Hey, nothing’s going to happen. I’ll be fine. We’ll all make it through this. I just need you to trust me like I trust you.”

 

    Jiyong stared at her intently and touched her hand that rested on his cheek. Pain and uncertainty flickered in his eyes as he stared into hers. She didn’t seem afraid… “I trust you.”

 

    “Good. Bom and I will keep track of what’s going on on the inside. We’ll keep you updated. Oh, and another thing…”

 

    “What is is?”

 

    “Il Woo has been acting oddly calm lately...I think he might be up to something. I mean, just the other night he was screaming at me for being stupid and trusting a ‘beast’ and now suddenly he’s changed and seems totally fine with it. There’s just something not right with him.”

 

    “Dara’s right. I know Il Woo very well and he’s not one to back down so easily. Normally, he won’t stop until he gets what he wants.”

 

    “And what does he want exactly?” Jiyong gritted his teeth together.

 

    “Dara. It has been and always will be Dara.”

 

    “So I was right then, he is in love with you….”

 

    Dara rolled her eyes and shook her head. “He isn’t in love with me. All he wants to do is get inside my pants and---”

 

    “WHAT?!”

 

    Jiyong violently stood up, knocking over the chair. His eyes flickered from gold to brown as he tried to control his rage. Dara sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Relax, Jiyong. It’s not going to happen. As if I’d let myself sleep with a player like him.”

 

    “Well, actually, Jiyong isn’t very far off. Il Woo is definitely in love with you. I think everyone down at the precinct can vouch for that. But at the same time, he also wants to bed you. And I mean, come on, he’s a guy. Who wouldn’t?” Bom pointed out.

    

    “Look, that is besides the point. The point is, Il Woo is up to something and we have to make sure that we don’t tip if him off about Jiyong’s whereabouts. I just don’t trust him…”

 

    “I know. He is one crazy bastard. Anyway, it’s a bit late. Dara, you wanna get going?”

 

    Bom yawned and stretched out her arms. Dara laughed lightly and nodded. She gave Jiyong one last reassuring look and left with Bom. He sighed and covered his face with his hands. Top patting his back. “I know, man...I know…”

 

    “That bastard...he better not touch her. If he hurts her or......I can’t even think straight right now.”

 

    “I understand, Ji. You love Dara. It makes sense why you’d be so touchy about another man touching her.”

    

    Jiyong shook his head. “It’s not just that...I mean, it’s just the fact that any other guy can touch her and I can’t. Aside from the fact that Il Woo is a bastard, he’s human...he can be normal with her. He can touch her without fearing he might tear her apart. He can do things that I can’t...BE things that I will never be. Dara can have a normal life with him…”

 

    “Well, what makes you think Dara would want a normal life? Why is it so hard to believe that maybe she could fall for you, too?”

 

    “Because that’s nothing but a fantasy, Top. Girls like Dara don’t end up with guys like me. They marry he good guy and only stay around to flirt with the bad guy.”

 

    “Why can’t you be the good guy?” Jiyong’s eyes flickered to Top.

 

    “Because I’m not. All I’ll ever do is hurt her even though that’s the last thing I want. And if she gets too close to me, I’m afraid I’ll only break her heart because I can’t provide her with things that she wants. Besides, who could ever learn to love a beast like me?”

 

    “I think that you’re too quick to judge. Dara has more than proved to you that she’s not afraid of you. She knows that you won’t hurt her. And honestly, I think you’re pretty well in control of yourself when she’s around. At least, from what I’ve seen…”

 

    “Then I put up a good front. The other night when I went to go check up on her…” Jiyong closed his eyes. “I...we sort of got a little ‘intimate’ but she was drunk and I don’t even think she remembers or was aware of what she was doing…”

 

    “Wait, wait...did you sleep with her?!”

 

    “NO! No, I did not sleep with her. But God, when she touched me I just...all I wanted to do was...was…”

 

    “Rip her clothes off and slam into her?” TOP raised a brow and chuckled.

 

    “In more explicit terms, yes. But I couldn’t. I felt myself slipping, so I stopped myself. It took a lot out of me, trust me. But you see that I can never be with her in that way because I might lose it and hurt her. You think I’m in control but I’ve never felt so out of control than whenever Dara’s around. I’m always just a touch away from losing myself.”

 

    “Well, maybe she’s into some sweet, passionate, rough, beast ---”

 

    “Ok, NO! Let’s stop talking about this. This is getting way too awkward. Point of the matter is Il Woo can be normal with Dara. I can’t. So, therefore, we can’t be…right?”

 

    Top smiled and patted his back once more. “Love doesn’t involve this much thinking or science. It’s just supposed to happen. And there’s nothing wrong with you, Jiyong. SM only changed your DNA, they didn’t change you. No matter what they did to you, you’re still Kwon Jiyong, dude. That will never change and that’s what Dara sees in you. She sees you as Kwon Jiyong.”

 

    Jiyong bit his lip and looked away. As much as he wanted to believe Top’s words, there was a part of him that still doubted that Dara would ever fall for someone like him. In this world, as far as he knew, there was no happy endings for people like him...he belonged in the shadows where no one could reach him. Dara belonged in the real world where she could live her normal life and be happy; something he could not give her. They were different and that difference is what would keep them apart.

 

----------------------------

 

Three days later…

 

    Dara stretched out on her couch lazily while watching the morning news. Lucky for her, it was her day off. Chief had decided that she and Bom both needed one after working countless hours on cases. So far, they managed to track down a few of SM’s men and had them in custody for further questioning, now all there was to do was find the “brilliant” mastermind behind all of this and bring him down. She was having an enjoyable morning until BREAKING NEWS came on the television. “This just in: three people were found murdered near by Black District University early this morning. Students reported the bodies after stumbling upon them while heading to classes. It is apparent that these three victims were attacked by an animal of some kind. No statement from officials at this time.” This broadcast woman announced.

 

    Dara groaned and shut off the television. She had enough of these stupid beasts and their constant attacks on innocent people. Coincidentally enough, the murders took place near campus. And Dara had a feeling it had to be linked to that strange fraternity. There was something not right about those guys...she had a gut feeling inside that they were the ones responsible for this.

 

    She was just about to pick up her phone to call Jiyong but she quickly changed her mind. The last thing she wanted was for him to go into a stress out over more killings. She knew that he felt like he had a duty to these people, these victims but he wasn’t Superman. It wasn’t his job to protect these people. So, instead she decided to take advantage of her day off and stood up to grab her coat before leaving her apartment.

 

    She got into her car and drove off to the outer limits of the city, to the countryside. After twenty minutes of driving, she found herself in front of a large metal gate. Dara took a deep breath before getting out of the car. She walked up to the gate and pushed the heavy doors open, leading to the inside of the cemetery. As she walked up the stone-made steps, her phone rang. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the caller ID. She was surprised to see it was Jiyong.

 

    Lifting her head up, she looked around quickly before ignoring the call. She didn’t want to talk to him at the moment. She wanted some time to herself first. She didn’t even take two steps before she felt someone grab her shoulder. On instinct, she grabbed the person’s arm and tried to throw them but they didn’t budge. So, she spun around, ready to punch them in the face but she stopped when she realized it was only Jiyong. “What the---?! Jiyong! What the hell are you doing here?!”

 

    “You...didn’t...pick up...I thought...something...happened to you.” He panted.

 

    “How did you get here so fast?”

 

    “I ran...can’t you tell?”

 

    “You RAN? Are you out of your frickin’ mind?!”

 

“I was worried about you, alright? You didn’t answer your phone so I thought maybe something happened to you. What are you doing all the way out here anyway? And why are you by yourself? Do you have any idea how dangerous it is---”

 

Dara cut him off and put a finger to his lips. “Ok, you need to calm down. First of all, it was my day off so I thought I’d do something productive like visit my mother’s grave. Secondly, NO ONE comes out here, so I’m pretty sure I’m safer here than in the city. Lastly, you sound like an overprotective boyfriend…”

 

“Can you blame me? Look, just because you think people won’t find you here, doesn’t mean you’ll be safe. Because trust me, if SM is looking for you, they will find you.”

 

Dara rolled her eyes. “Well, then come along with me. I want to see my mother.”

 

    Jiyong sighed in exasperation before pulling his hood up more to cover his face. They walked up the stony path in silence until they finally reached Dara’s mother’s grave. However, they stopped when they noticed someone standing in front of the grave. Dara quickly pushed Jiyong behind a tree and peaked out. “What the hell? That’s Jaejoong…”

 

    “That’s the bastard that’s trying to hunt me down? Why is he here?”

 

    “I don’t know. But I’m going to find out. Stay here.”

 

    Dara shoved her hands into her pockets and walked over to where Jaejoong was standing. She glared at his back, suspicious as to why he was even here. “Kim Jaejoong…”

 

    He turned slightly to look at her. “Hello, Miss Park.”

 

    “Let’s drop the formalities...call me Dara.”

 

    “Right...Dara.”

 

    “What are you doing here, Jaejoong? If you’re looking for answers on our killer, you won’t find any here.”

 

    Jaejoong chuckled and continued to stare at the grave stone. Dara’s fists tightened. She really didn’t like this guy. He was so...mysterious and something about him gave Dara weird vibes. “We’re more alike than you think, Dara.” His words sent shivers down her spine.

 

    “We...are nothing alike…”

 

    “My mother was murdered, too. Of course, I was a lot younger than you were.”

 

    Dara relaxed a bit. She suddenly felt a little guilty for being so harsh towards him. “I-I’m so sorry. I didn’t know…”

 

    “I was seventeen when she was murdered. Shot dead right before my eyes, just like yours was. I understand why you joined the force, Dara. You want to find answers to your mother’s death. That’s the very thing that drive you, isn’t it?”

 

    “Maybe…”

 

    “And that’s why we’re alike. We both believe in justice. That is why we are going to catch these son of a es and take them down.”

 

    “What’s the real reason you’re here, Kim?” Dara asked, still suspicious.

 

    “Why? Because the minute I met you, I knew something was different about you. You weren’t like the others at the station. You had this...fire in your eyes, this determination. You’re an interesting woman, Park.”

 

    “Sorry to burst your bubble, but I’m not on the market and I don’t date co-workers. “

 

    Jaejoong smirked. “You have a dark side to you and I can tell you’ve been keeping secrets. But that’s something I can understand, after all, like mother like daughter.”

 

    “Wh-what do you mean?”

 

    “It’s nothing. There are some things in this world that aren’t meant to be known. On a side note…” Jaejoong grabbed her chin and stared directly into her eyes. “You have the most beautiful eyes…”

 

    “Like I said...I’m not on the market. You and Jung are too much alike, Kim. You’re both players.”

 

    “Who said anything about playing? Believe me, Dara, you’re the only woman that’s ever captivated my interest.”

 

    Dara’s breathing hitched with the way Jaejoong was looking at her. There was something in his eyes...something that threw her off. She wanted to push him away and slap him across the face for being an but she found completely paralyzed…

 

    Meanwhile, Jiyong was still lurking behind the tree. He had heard and seen everything. The way Jaejoong looked at her and touched her, made Jiyong’s blood boil. He didn’t like it...he didn’t like it one bit. He gripped onto the trunk of the tree, his claws digging into the bark. A low growl resonated deep within his chest, the beast inside him just itching to get out so he could tear Jaejoong apart mercilessly. Jiyong’s eyes widened when he noticed his claws. ! I’m sorry, Dara…  He glared at the two with his intense golden eyes before turning into a blur and running off.  

 

    “Your mother was a special woman, Dara. And you’re just like her.” Jaejoong said, still smirking.

 

    Dara finally snapped out of it and pushed him away. She glared at him before punching him across his face. “Stay away from me, Kim. You don’t know anything about my mother!”

 

    “On the contrary, I know more than you think.”

 

    Jaejoong wiped his lip and stared at the blood on his finger tips. He grinned at her before turning away. “Maybe it’s you that doesn’t know anything about your mother…”

 

    “You’re an arrogant piece of , I hope you know that!”

 

    “Sticks and stones, babe. Doesn’t change the fact that I’m right. Your mother kept secrets...dark secrets. But...if you’re saying she didn’t, then I guess I’m wrong. Goodbye, Dara.”

 

    Dara glared at his back as he walked away. She wished she had her gun now so that she could shoot his head off but that wouldn’t be very humane of her. For a moment, she pondered over what Jaejoong said. Was he telling the truth? Or was he just trying to mess with her head? Either way, he was hiding something, something important from her. She opened her eyes again and she kneeled down in front of her mother’s grave. With her fingertips, she ran them across the stony surface. “Mother...I don’t know what to do. I don’t know how to be normal. I don’t know how to live anymore. I need you. Can’t you come back? Even if it’s just for a little while? I miss your hugs.” A tear rolled down her cheeks.

 

    Dara stayed there for another moment before gathering herself up again. She turned to the tree where she left Jiyong but her face fell when she realized that he wasn’t there anymore. A frown appeared on her face as she walked over to the tree and noticed three streaks raking across the trunk. She touched it slightly and grimaced. She knew Jiyong had done this…it was a big indicator that he was upset. Her eyes widened when she realized what this meant. “Oh, !”

 

    Dara wasted no time and bolted it down to her car. She started the car quickly and sped down the road, heading back towards the city. She called Top and he picked up after the first ring. “Hello?”

 

    “Top, it’s Dara. Is Jiyong back at the warehouse?”

 

    “What? No...why? What’s going on?”

 

    “I think he might have another episode again…”

 

    She heard TOP curse on the other end. “Crap, ok, I’ll see if I can get ahold of him. Be careful, Dara.”

 

    “I will.”


    Dara hung up the phone and stepped on the gas more, breaking every possible speed limit. But this was an emergency. Jiyong was pissed about something and it could very well awaken his “beast” side. “Damn it! Please don’t do anything stupid, Jiyong…”