Protect You

Being Human

Note: Thank you so much for subscribing guys! Please comment also. :) Anyway, hope you enjoy!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Dara walked into her apartment, tired as hell and still a bit shaken from everything that happened. Her mind kept wandering back to Jiyong. For some reason, he wanted people to think he was dead and the way he looked at her, the fear and anxiety in his eyes made her feel as if he’d just punched her in the gut. As a cop, she should’ve turned him in, it was the right thing to do but for some reason, when he looked at her, she knew she couldn’t.

 

She sighed as she slumped down against her sofa and closed her eyes for a few minutes. However, she was awoken by the sound of giggling and footsteps. She opened her eyes and looked toward the bedroom. Grabbing her gun, she proceeded to the room and cautiously opened the door. “Police, hands up where I can see them!” Dara stepped into the room, gun pointed at the trespasser.

 

“Dara!”

 

Dara’s eyes widened when she saw her brother in bed with a girl. She gasped and immediately spun around. “Oh, ! Sanghyun, what the hell?!”

 

“S-sorry, Dara!”

 

“! Get dressed! Talk to me when you and your little friend are decent!”

 

Dara shuddered and walked out of the room, closing the door in the process. She just couldn’t believe she just walked in on her brother and some girl “getting it on” in her apartment...in HER room! She raked her fingers through her hair and sat down on the couch again. A moment later, her brother came out of the room with the girl and smiled sheepishly at her. “So, who’s this? And what is she doing here?” Dara asked bluntly.

 

“Dara...sis, this is IU, she’s my girlfriend.”

 

“Girlfriend? Since when did you have a girlfriend, dog poop?”

 

“Yah! I told you not to call me that!”

 

IU giggled and reached out a hand to Dara. Dara shook it and smiled slightly. She looked back and forth between her brother and his new girlfriend. “So, when did this happen?”

 

“About a year ago...see, what you miss being away. Anyway, are you coming to Dad’s engagement party? He also asked if you’re going to bring a date.”

 

“I’m going but I’m not bringing a date.” Dara shook her head.

 

“What about that guy you were seeing? What was his name again? Donghae? What happened to him? I thought things were going good with you two?”

 

“Oh, please...that jerk was a player! And not to mention a big druggie. He’s just lucky I didn’t turn in his for dealing. I should’ve but I’m too nice of a person.”

 

Sanghyun rolled his eyes. “Right. Anyway, how’ve you been, Sis? I mean, I haven’t seen you in a while and you haven’t come around much since...well, since Mom died…Dad and I miss you…”

 

“I know...I’m sorry. I’ve just been caught up with work, is all. I’ll visit more when things clear up for me. Right now we’re in the middle of a strange case and it seems the amount of gang activity has increased.”

 

“Gang activity? You mean that stupid SM? Don’t tell me you’re still trying to track them for what they did to Mom…”

 

“She was out mother, Sanghyun! I want answers...I want to why they killed her!”

 

“I know that but it’s been three years, Dara. I think it’s about time we moved on. You can’t keep holding on to the past like this. It’s not good for you. And please, please don’t tell me you’re still on that whole ‘beast’ thing…”

 

Dara sighed. “No...not really anyway. I’m more focused on catching the guys that did this. That’s all I care about. Anyway, it’s late and it’s been a very long day for me. Since you two, so graciously made yourselves at home in my room, feel free to stay there. I’ll sleep in the guest room. It was nice to meet you, IU.  Good night.”

 

IU nodded. Dara gave her brother one last look before heading to bed. She needed a good night’s sleep after everything that transpired. She fell onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. Slowly, her eyes drifted closed.

 

----------------------------

Police Station

    “Alright team, we got a new case.” Chief Yang said as he walked into the office. Dara propped her feet on the table and leaned back into her chair.

 

    “What’s up, Chief?”

 

    “Looks like it could either be potential suicide or homicide. We’re not entirely sure at the moment. A witness claimed that the body fell from a balcony above.”

 

    “Alright, let’s go check it out then.”

 

    Dara grabbed her stuff and followed the rest of the team to the squad cars. She and Bom got into the black Mercedes and headed out to the apartment complexes first. Bom noticed the bags under Dara’s eyes and frowned. “You look like .” She blurted out.

 

    “Thanks...I know I look horrible. I didn’t get much sleep last night. Sanghyun and his new girlfriend were having too much fun.”

 

    “Ooh, Sanghyun got himself a girl? That boy can actually get laid? I’m actually quite impressed.”

 

    Dara laughed and rolled her eyes. “I didn’t even know he was ‘active’. I mean, he’s still my kid brother after all. I could never look at him as someone who would actually sleep with a female.”

 

    “To be honest, I think you need to get laid, too, girl. You’re seem stressed lately. A little ‘bedtime’ would do you good.”

 

    “Oh, shut up! You’re one to talk! Besides, I don’t need a boyfriend at the moment and I’m definitely the type of girl to just sleep around.”

 

    “True. But God, I need a boyfriend. I could use some stress relief, if you know what I mean.”

 

    “You’re sad, Bom...really sad.” Dara laughed. “What about that Top guy? He seemed pretty interested in you. You should totally go for him.”

 

    Bom’s face turned red and she instantly shut up. Dara only laughed louder and continued to best friend. Bom pushed Dara playfully as they got out of the car to meet their Chief. He nodded at them and gestured over to the body covered with a blanket. Dara walked over and kneeled down to remove the blanket. She came face to face with a man with dull gray eyes and scars all over his face. “Who is this?”

 

    “His name is Dong Youngbae. According to his girlfriend, she was coming home late at night when his body came crashing down in front of her. That was around midnight last night.” Chief Yang informed them.

 

    “Midnight? What was she doing coming home at midnight?” Bom raised a brow.

 

    “You can ask her. She’s right over there. Ahn Sohee is her name.”

 

    Dara and Bom walked over to the girl dressed in a pink sundress, currently crying her eyes out. Dara approached her first and cleared . “Miss Ahn, we’re aware that you are the victim’s girlfriend. What exactly happened last night?”

 

    “I-I don’t know. I just coming home from work...I work at the bar across the street and then as I was about to go up, his body just fell from up there. I-I don’t know how this happened! I just can’t believe he would do something like this! But you’ll catch whoever did this, right?”

 

    Bom frowned. “So, you believe someone pushed him?”

 

    “Of course! Youngbae was a very kind man and very happy, too. I can’t imagine him ever doing something like this.”

 

    “Miss Ahn, did he have any enemies? Anyone that would want to hurt him?”

 

    Sohee shook her head, tears spilling from her eyes. She took out a tissue and blew her nose softly. “I-I don’t think so. He was liked by everyone. But…”

 

    “But what?” Dara asked.

 

    “When I came home the other day, he was talking on the phone with someone. He didn’t sound very happy and he kept tell whoever he was talking to that he would do it anymore and that he wanted out…I tried to ask him who he was talking to but he just changed the subject. I should’ve known something was wrong! I should’ve done something and now he’s dead!”

 

    “Miss Ahn, we’re very sorry for your loss. We’ll find out everything we can and find his killer. We can assure you that.”

 

    Sohee nodded and thanked Dara and Bom. They walked back to the body, puzzled looks on their faces. The cases the past few days have been puzzling and strange. Dara looked down at Youngbae’s body and noticed that his lips were slightly chapped and there was traces of something white on the corner of his lips. “He was poisoned…” She muttered.

 

    “What?” Bom asked.

 

    “Look at his mouth. It’s the same as Yoona. He was poisoned. By who, I don’t know.”

 

    “It’s possible that SM had something to do with this. Turns out Taecyeon was part of SM and that’s probably where he got the poison. Whoever did this to Youngbae must be associated somehow.” Chief Yang said, scratching the back of his head.

 

    “But why would SM try to kill off these people. It doesn’t make sense. First Yoona and now Youngbae…unless they had some type of association with SM, I can’t see a reason why they would be hunted down like this.”

 

    “Well, let’s just bag up his body first. Bom and Dara, have a look upstairs and see what you can find.”

 

    Dara and Bom nodded and headed up to the apartment. The apartment itself was very dirty and low-grade. It didn’t seem like the most suitable place for a young couple to be living but then again, this was Black District. Most of the area was a bit sketchy. Bom opened the door and allowed Dara inside first. The room smelled of oil and gasoline, definitely suspicious. Dara noticed the small blood splatters on the carpet and nodded Bom over. “It looks like there was some sign of struggle. Whoever did this must’ve pushed him out off of the balcony.” Dara’s eyes followed the trail of blood leading out to the deck.

 

    “What could SM possible want with these people though?”

 

    “I don’t know but we’ll find out soon enough.”

 

    Dara sighed and walked over to the kitchen, where the gasoline smell was the strongest. She sniffed around and looked over at the stove. Her eyes widened when she noticed a timer counting down. “Oh no...Bom, we have to get out of here now!” Dara ran out of the kitchen.

 

    “Why? What’s wrong?”

 

    “They rigged this place. This place is going to blow in a couple seconds. We need to go now!”

 

    Bom nodded and both girls ran out of the room. They only got as far as the elevator before the entire room went up in flames and the force of the bomb blasted them back. Dara flew back into the wall, hitting her head hard on the concrete wall. Her vision became blurry and all she saw was flames and smelled the overpowering scent of smoke.


 

    Dara groaned as she woke up, feeling water dripping on her face. She blinked a little and found a dark figure hovering above her. Once her vision cleared she was startled to find Jiyong by her side. She gasped and pushed herself back. “Wh-what are you doing here?”

 

    “I-I smelled the fire and then I caught your scent---”

 

    “What? How? You’re not supposed to be here, Jiyong!”

 

    Dara hissed as she looked around her. Her brows furrowed when she saw that the fire was put out and all around her was scorched black. Bom lay a couple of yards away from her, unconscious but Dara could tell she was still breathing and sighed in relief. She looked back at Jiyong again and noticed how he stared at her with a certain intensity. “Well, now that you’re safe, I’ll be going now.” He stood up to leave.

 

    “Wait! I still want answers about my mom---”

 

    “Goodbye, Dara.”

 

    Before Dara could say anything more, he disappeared. She didn’t even have time to blink by the time he was gone. He was too fast… he wasn’t human. In the back of her mind, she couldn’t help but wonder if he was linked to the blood transfusion thing she’d found in his room. She snapped her head in Bom’s direction when she heard her cough. “Bom!” She crawled over to her.

 

    “D-Dara? What...what the hell happened?”

 

    “The bomb went off.”

 

    “Yea but who---”

 

    “Dara! Bom!” The girls startled at the sound of their Chiefs voice. He broke open one of the windows and rushed over to them. “Are you girls ok? ...when that explosion went off, I nearly had a heart attack! But...who put out the fire?”

 

    “I-I don’t know. Maybe the sprinklers went off.” Dara lied. She knew Jiyong had something to do with this.

 

    “You both are incredibly lucky you weren’t hurt. Alright, let’s go. I’m letting you girls have the rest of the day off. Take some time to rest.”

 

    Chief Yang helped both girls to their feet and escorted them out of the building. He led them over to the ambulance and let the paramedics examine them. One of the paramedics came over to Dara and flashed a flashlight in her eyes. “It looks like you may have a slightly concussion. So, it would be best if you don’t jump into any action any time soon. But other than that, you should be fine.” Dara nodded as the guy went to Bom.

 

    Bom seemed to have suffered a bit of a more severe concussion but nothing too serious. Dara was thankful for that. She was also thankful for Jiyong...he’d saved her again. She bit her lip thinking about how he looked at her with those cold, dark eyes...she could’ve sworn she saw a flicker of concern in his eyes. Still, she didn’t even know why he was there...why he saved them or how he knew they were there. There were so many questions that swam in Dara’s mind but no answers to them like always.

 

------------------------------

 

Warehouse

 

    Jiyong sat down on Top’s couch and hung his head back. He combed his damp hair out of his face and sighed. He knew he shouldn’t have gone out like that. He shouldn’t have allowed Dara to see him but the moment he sensed that she was in danger, his instincts took over and he rushed to her aid like always. Even though he’d told Top that he didn’t know about her, the truth was...he knew everything about her. It was probably a bit creep and stalkerish but he’d been watching over her for the past three years ever since that day he saved her from those men.

 

    For some reason, there was this magnetic pull that kept leading him back to her. He couldn’t stop it and that alone frightened him. He knew that he had to keep his distance from her or else he could risk being exposed or putting her in danger. God forbid the day something happens to her. Jiyong would lost his mind. He groaned and pressed his fingers to his temples. “Rough day?” Top sat next to him.

 

    “Have you ever felt the need to be close to someone but you can’t because you know that being around them will put them in danger?”

 

    “No...I don’t think---wait a minute.” Top eyed Jiyong. “You’re not thinking about the girl, are you?”

 

    Jiyong said nothing. Top took his silence as a yes and groaned before standing up from the couch. He moved to lean against the table in front of Jiyong. “Ji, please, please don’t tell me you’re not thinking what I think you’re thinking…”

 

    “I...can’t get her out of my head, Top...ever since that night, I...I couldn’t stay away from her.”

 

    Top shook his head and paced around the room. “You told me that you didn’t know about her...that you---”

 

    “I know what I said! I can’t explain it but I just...I just need to make sure she’s safe. I just want to protect her.”

 

    “If you want to protect her, you have to stay away from her. Isn’t that why you’re hiding? Isn’t that the whole reason for this so you can protect the people you care about? If SM finds out you’re alive, they will hunt you down along with every other living soul who you’ve ever been in contact with.”

 

    Jiyong clenched his jaw. He knew that. He knew that SM would hunt Dara down and could hurt her, potentially kill her and he couldn’t have that. He closed his eyes, remembering the way she looked at him when he had saved her today. There was this sort of darkness in her eyes...this fear. He wanted to know why but he figured it was probably because of him showing up out of nowhere. “I’ll make sure to stay away from her. I won’t go after her again.” It hurt Jiyong more than he expected.

 

    “Look, I’m just looking out for you, man. You’re my best friend and I really hate to see something bad happen to you just because of a girl. Not to mention what would happen to me if they found out I’ve been harboring you ever since you escaped.”

 

    “I know. I’ll be careful. I’ll try to stay away.”

 

    Top nodded and patted Jiyong’s shoulder. “Remember, Jiyong. It’s to protect her. That’s what you want, right? To protect her?”

 

    “More than anything.”

 

    “Then you have to keep your distance. I have to get back to the University but I’ll be back later tonight. Stay inside, Ji. I mean it.”

 

    “Don’t worry. I won’t run away again.”

 

    “Good.”

    

    Top grabbed his jacket from his desk and walked out the door. Jiyong stood up from the couch and walked back up to his room, stopping when he caught sight of the article about Dara. He picked it up and examined her photo. “What is it about you that makes me want to protect you? You’re far from weak...so, why?” He frowned at the photo, as if waiting for it to smack him in the face and tell him but he got nothing.

 

    He put the photo down and slumped against his chair, staring out the window. Rain fell against his window, obscuring his view of the city. For a moment, he thought about Dara again...was she safe? Did she get help? Would she tell people about him? All these questions were driving him insane and again, the urge to see her came back but he restrained himself. Keep your distance, Jiyong...keep your distance, and she’ll be safe.”

 

--------------------------

 

    Dara laid on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. As much as she wanted to be able to enjoy her day off, she couldn’t. Whenever she tried to rest, images of Jiyong would flash in her mind. He had saved her two times already when he didn’t need to. For someone who wanted to hide, it was strange that he’d risk exposing himself to save her. She turned to her side and stared at the picture of her family beside her bed.

 

    She sat up and took the picture from the nightstand and smiled seeing the smile on her mother’s face; the smile she would never see again. Her fingers grazed over the photo longingly, wishing that there was some way to turn back time and save her mother. She bit her lip trying to restrain herself from crying. “Knock, knock…” Dara jumped at the sound of her brother’s voice.

 

    “Come in.”

 

    Sanghyun opened the door and walked into the room. His eyes fell upon the photo in Dara’s hand. He sighed and sat down on the bed beside her. “I miss her, too, Dara.”

 

    “I just don’t understand why they…” Dara took a deep breath. “I just wish there was some way I could've prevented it, you know? I never should’ve called Mom that night...maybe things would have been different.”

 

    “I know...you don’t know how much I wish I could’ve been there that night to stop them. But we can’t change the past, Dara. We just...we have to be strong and move on. That’s what Mom would have wanted for us. She would want us to be happy.”

 

    “I know that. But it’s just hard…I mean, I saw her die.”

 

    “Believe me, I know, Sis. I couldn’t even imagine what it must’ve been like to witness something like that. But it’s just that ever since we lost Mom...it feels like I lost you, too…”

 

(Storm by Lifehouse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jSSVJwGek

 

    Dara looked at her brother, a pang of guilt in her heart. “But you haven’t...I’m still here.”

 

    “Yeah but it’s different. You’re so distance now days. You don’t even come to visit us. You didn’t even want to come with us when we decided to move to Seoul. I just...I feel like I’m losing you. I...don’t even know who you are anymore.”

 

    “Sanghyun, I’m still me…”

 

    “You’re different, Dara. It’s like you’ve locked yourself in this impenetrable box and sealed yourself away from everyone and everything. Even me and I’m your brother. We never used to be this distant. I know you don’t realize it, but I can feel you pulling away from me. I want to help you, Dara.”

 

    “I don’t need help, Sanghyun.” Dara shook her head. “I’m fine. I’m sorry I seem different to you but I’m still me...I’m still your sister. And that will never change.”

 

    “I know, Sis...I know. But listen, I found something...I thought you might want it.”

 

    Sanghyun stepped out of the room for a bit to retrieve something and returned with papers in his hand. Dara looked at him questioningly but took the papers from him anyway. She looked at the papers and realized it was reports her mother used to look at before. Her eyes widened as she read the title: Cross Animal Hybrid DNA. “What is this?” Dara frowned.

 

    “I don’t know. I just thought you’d want it. I don’t like seeing you still hung up over Mom’s case but since I know there’s no way of convincing you to drop it, I thought I might as well help you.”

 

    Sanghyun sighed and turned to leave but hesitated. “By the way, I’m going out of IU. We’ll be back later. And don’t forget about Dad’s party tonight.”

 

    “Right...I’ll see you there.”

 

    Dara groaned, remembering that her father’s engagement party was tonight. It wasn’t like she didn’t like her soon to be step mom but there was just something about her that gave Dara weird vibes. The way the woman talked to her was just...strange. But she made her father happy and that’s all that mattered and she had to admit, the woman gained extra points for convincing her father to have his party here.

 

    She looked around her room and her eyes fell on her mother’s research paper. She looked over it but couldn’t exactly understand it. Although in the past, she was studying to be a doctor, she was never this advanced in genetics such as this. She gnawed at the inside of her cheek before finally standing up from her bed. She grabbed her leather jacket and gun from the table and walked out of her room, clutching the papers in her hand.

 

    Dara locked up her apartment and headed out to her car. For a moment, she wondered if she should chance it but she needed someone to make sense of this. And it seemed there was only one person she could think of. So, she started up her car and drove off down the road until she found herself in front of the warehouse.

 

 

    Upon arriving at the doors leading to the back room, she hesitated. What should happen if someone found her here? She was off duty and really shouldn’t be here but on the other hand, she wanted answers and she was going to get them no matter what. Working up her nerve, she pushed open the doors and looked up to the second level. “You shouldn’t be here.” Dara startled at the sound of Jiyong’s voice echoing off the walls. She barely took two steps inside!

 

    “Where are you? Come out where I can see you.”

 

    “You really shouldn’t be here, Dara. Why are you here?”

 

    Dara looked around the room, trying to find where he was. Slowly, she walked over to the stairs leading up to his floor. She squinted into the darkness of the room. “What are you doing here, Dara?” Her heart nearly lurched out of her chest when she found Jiyong standing behind her.

 

    “Jiyong…”

 

    “Why are you here, Dara?” He asked again, his eyes trained on hers.

 

    “I-I came here to talk to you…”

 

    “If this is about your mother, I told you that I can’t---”

 

    “You can’t tell me. I know. But I think I deserve some answers! She was mother! I saw her get killed! Don’t you think I deserve to know why?”

 

    “I think that’s it’s been three years already and you should really get over it. Move on with your life, Dara.”

 

    “I can’t! You don’t understand! I have spent the past three years wondering why, trying to find answers to why she was killed. Her case is the reason why I joined the police in the first place! And you...you seem to know quite a lot, or at least more than you’re telling me. So, talk.”

 

   “I understand perfectly, Dara. You don’t think I felt remorse when my sister was killed by those men? Do you not think I want to get revenge on those bastards that took her away from me? I understand your pain! I know what it’s like to lose someone you care about! But you are getting far too far involved in things that you shouldn’t! Do me and yourself a favor and let it go!”

 

    “No! Just because you’ve given up and want to hide like this, doesn’t mean I have to do the same! Why can’t you just tell me the truth? I haven’t told anyone your secret, I didn’t turn you in when I should’ve! Don’t you at least trust me by now? What the hell is your problem, Jiyong?!” Dara shouted.

 

    “YOU! You are my ing problem!”

 

    Jiyong’s temper blew up and he growled, slamming his fists into the concrete wall, leaving behind a large hole. Dara stumbled back, slightly frightened by his behavior but she held her ground. She bravely pushed past him and stood in the middle of the room, facing him. He looked at her, panting heavily. “Get out of here, Dara. Get out before you get hurt…”

 

    “I’m not leaving here until you answer my questions. I don’t care how much you try to scare me away, I’m not leaving! You owe me this! I kept you a secret, obstructed a case to protect you from being exposed! You could at least tell me why this happened to my mother!”

 

    “You don’t get it! You just don’t get it!”

 

    “People thought I was crazy, Jiyong! I---”

 

    “You are crazy! You’re ing insane!Do you even realize what I’m capable of! I could kill you in an instant!”

 

    Jiyong held his hand out and the shelf beside Dara caught on fire. Dara jumped and took a couple steps back before looked back at Jiyong. He looked at her with the utmost intensity, making her heart start to beat faster in fear. “If you’re afraid, then leave…” Jiyong hissed, his voice low and raspy.

 

    This time Dara didn’t argue and ran. She didn’t expect him to react this way, so inhumanely...so animalistic. But her survival instincts kicked in and so she ran, clutching her papers tightly. She ran until she got back to her car and sped off down the road, away from the warehouse.

 

    Meanwhile, Jiyong stood at his window. He raised his hand and pressed it against the glass, watching her drive away, running away like he wanted. But at the same time, seeing her so afraid of him, hearing the far her heart sped up when he lost control...it made him feel the utmost pain. Closing his eyes, he leaned his forehead against the window. I’m sorry, Dara...but this is to protect you…