6 Copy Cat

Being Human

Note: COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT! Please? :D I'll be your best friend... hehehe. Anyway, thanks for the support guys. But really hope to see more comments...maybe three comments for next update?

________________________________________________________________________________

“The trigger is you...Dara.” Top said again, slowly.

 

    Dara stared at him wide eyed and slowly stepped away from Jiyong. She looked at him sadly before turning back to Top. “A-are you sure?”

 

    “That’s what it seems like. I looked at his brain scans and it seemed his frontal lobe gets repressed during his ‘episodes’, basically the part of the brain that controls all the touchy-feely stuff. When he goes into ‘beast’ mode, he forgets what it means to be human and goes on a rampage.”

 

    “But I don’t understand why I would be a trigger…”

 

    “I guess there’s just something about you that sets him off. Like I mentioned earlier, he out when he started thinking about you. Well, you and your little friend of yours.”

 

    “Il Woo? Jiyong was watching the entire time?” Dara spun around to face Jiyong. “YOU were watching the entire time?”

 

    “I-I followed you. For some reason, after you left, I...I had this urge to go after you. And then I saw you with your ‘date’. And that’s when started happening.”

 

    “What does me dating someone have anything to do with what’s happening to you? It was just a date! I don’t even really like him that way!”

 

    “But he’s in love with you…”

 

    Jiyong laughed humorlessly. “It’s funny. I tell you to leave me alone and I end up being the one to go after you...if I didn’t find you, if I had just stayed away like I was supposed to, this wouldn’t have happened. I wouldn’t have killed those people.”

 

    “Jiyong, it wasn’t your fault! You save people…”

 

    “Yea, but I also killed people, too...and you know that.”

 

    “Look, we’ll figure this out. For the meantime, just lay low, alright? And why the hell would thinking about my trigger this to happen to you?”

 

    “I-I don’t know, Dara. I just felt...jealous, I guess. Because that guy is human...that guy is everything that I’m not. He can talk to you without fearing he might hurt you. He can go out in public without worrying someone might recognize him and take him away again. He has everything that I want...including you.”

 

    Dara’s eyes flickered up to his for a moment. “Me? Why would you want me? Jiyong, you’re talking like you---”

 

    “Have feelings for you? Maybe I do, Dara. Maybe along the line I ended up developing some sort of emotional attachment to you. Maybe that’s why I can’t seem to stay away from you and why I kept watch over you for the past three years.”

 

    “But you can’t...we barely know each other. You can’t possibly have feelings for someone like me.”

 

    “Is it so wrong? Dara, over the three years I’ve looked after you, I learned that you’re stubborn when it comes to love. You’re afraid of commitment. You tend to date the bad boys so that you don’t ever get your hopes up about having an actual life with them. You keep relationships short because you’re afraid of getting hurt...you’re afraid to fall too deeply because you don’t want to lose them.”

 

    “Y-you’re wrong? And what? Am I supposed to believe that you fell for the most stupidest love cliche, that for you it was love at first sight?”

 

    Jiyong sighed. “I don’t know if you could call it love. All I know is that I just want to be close to you. All I want to do is protect you…”

 

    “Jiyong, you’re talking crazy! You can’t feel like way about me! This wrong!”

 

    “Then tell me honestly that you don’t feel something for me, too…”

    

    Dara laughed sarcastically before shaking her head, her breathing uneven. “You’re not supposed to feel this way for me, Jiyong. And I’m not supposed to feel this way for you either.”

 

    “So, you do feel something for me?”

 

    “No...no! Damn it! You---”

 

    Dara was cut off when her phone rang suddenly. She looked Jiyong before stepping away to answer the call. “Park.”

 

    Top looked back and forth between the two and then walked over to Jiyong. He crossed his arms over his chest and sighed. “You really have feelings for her?”

 

    “I-I don’t know...I just know that I can’t be away from her now. Maybe that’s it. Maybe being away from her is what’s triggering these ‘episodes’. Whenever we’re apart, I just feel this immense pain in my heart and then it happens…”

 

    “It could be a factor. But it still doesn’t explain how it causes you to turn into a ‘beast’.”  

 

    Dara walked back into the room and hung up the phone. She looked at Jiyong, a bit of hopefulness in her eyes. “That was Il Woo. He just ran fingerprints and it looks like his attacker was human...meaning, Jiyong, it wasn’t you.”

 

    Jiyong furrowed his brows, unsure of what to feel. He was relieved that he didn’t kill the kid but he still woke up covered in blood...human blood. “So, if I didn’t kill that boy...then who did I kill?”

 

    “Looks like we’re going to find out. I just called back into work to work on the case. Maybe there’s a chance we can sort all of this out. Just make sure to stay here. I’ll see what I can find.”

 

    Jiyong nodded. Dara then proceeded to leave but she was stopped when Jiyong caught her arm. She looked back at him. “Please...be careful…”

 

    “Your job isn’t to worry about me...you job right now is to stay hidden until we figure this out. Don’t leave the warehouse. I’ll be back. “

 

    Dara gave him one last meaningful look before running off. Jiyong sighed and raked his hands through his hair. Top clicked his tongue. “Well, while little Miss Detective goes off to solve that case, let’s figure out what happened to you. I’ll run a test on the blood on your clothes.”

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Police Station

10:30 PM

 

    “You know, this wasn’t exactly the way I pictured spending my weekend.” Bom grumbled as she walked into the office with Dara.

 

    “Well, it looks like our killer has indeed human. Il Woo, tell them what you know.”

 

    Il Woo nodded and brought up a couple of files on the big screen. Multiple pictures of the same thing popped up. On each of the victim’s wrists was a large ‘X’. “I thought the mark on our latest victim’s wrist looked oddly familiar so I dug up some of the cases from the past couple of weeks. They all have the same thing...which means…”

 

    “Which means there’s a psychopath on the loose…” Dara finished.

 

    “Right. He’s very meticulous, very precise. I also noticed that these cases are familiar with ones from the past. They were all the same...he’s even copied murders dating back three years ago…”

 

    Old reports showed up on the screen, allowing side to side comparisons with recent murders. They were all identical. Dara’s eyes widened. “This means that our killer is recreating old murders...He’s a copycat.”

 

    “Precisely...and Dara, the murder case that happened recently, it seems the killer duplicated the murders of the people who tried to kill you three years ago.”

 

    Suddenly, flashbacks of what happened that night she was attacked by those men came back. She remember the blood, the sound of flesh tearing, the shadowy figures...all of it. She soon began to feel faint. However, Bom caught her just before she hit the ground. The lungs in her chest constricted and she felt as if she was back in that alley three years ago. “Dara! Dara!” Il Woo shook her, trying to snap her out of it.

 

    “No...NO!”

 

    “Dara, snap out of it!”

 

    Bom thought fast and grabbed a cup of water and splashed it in Dara’s face. Dara sputtered and finally snapped out of it. She looked around the office frantically and realized what she had just done. She diverted her gaze, guiltily and stood up. “I-I’m sorry…”

 

    “What the hell just happened?” Il Woo demanded.

 

    “Relax, Il Woo. This happens sometimes. She recalls her mother’s death and what happened that night and goes into a panic attack.” Bom informed him while helping Dara back into her seat.

 

    “, Dara...you scared me…”

 

    “S-sorry...so, that guy is recreating murders...one of them being my case...However, they’re not exactly that precise. They’re not in the exact locations. In fact, all of the murders took place around the University...which means…”

 

    “Which means that it has to be someone from the University that’s responsible for the killings.” Bom nodded.

 

    Dara stared at the screen again. Even though she was glad it wasn’t Jiyong who had done this, a part of her was still concerned. Their killer was recreating other murders, particularly Jiyong’s murders. The only difference was Jiyong went after criminals...their killer was targeting innocents. “Well, let’s get on it then. Bom, Dara, and Il Woo check out the campus and see if you can gather any clues of who the killer might be. Seungri, Chaerin...see if there’s any other connections that our killer might have to our victims. Let’s catch this son of a .” Chief Yang stormed out of the room, followed by the rest of the team.

 

-----------------------------

 

University Campus

 

    Dara and Bom walked around the campus while Il Woo went to reinvestigate the crime scene. After spending some time looking around the areas the murders were committed, they came up empty handed. There was nothing that would help them solve the case...until they came across a fraternity house with a large ‘X’ on the front of their door. “Well, this couldn’t look anymore suspicious. Think it’s one of the frat boys?” Bom knocked on the door.

 

    “Could be a possibility…”

 

    Soon, the doors opened, revealing a half boy who reeked up alcohol. Dara looked inside and saw cups, chips, and clothes scattered all over the ground. “Hey, hotties. What can I do for you fine ladies, such as yourselves?” The boy winked.

 

    “Yea, we don’t have time for that.” Bom whipped out her badge. “Police. We’re here to investigate the murder that took place today.”

 

    “Oh, I heard about that...dude, that’s such a bummer. Kai was a really good man. Such a shame that this happened to him.”

 

    “Do you think you can tell us anything about him? Like did he have any enemies? Anyone that would want to harm him?” Dara asked.

 

    “No...I don’t think so. He was liked by all of us. I know that Chanyeol took it the hardest though. They were like brothers.”

 

    “Is there any chance that we can speak with Chanyeol?”

 

    “Um...well, he’s sort of drunk. But you can try, I guess.”

 

    The boy let them in and Dara scrunched up her face in disgust. It looked like the boys threw a party or something. There were bodies everywhere, some passed out on the floor, some on the couch, there were topless girls sprawled on the tables with a few other guys. And then there were the few that we still awake, and still very “active”. “My name’s Kris by the way.”

 

    “Right, well nice to meet you Kris. Where’s Chanyeol?”

 

    “Right over there.”

 

    Kris pointed to another shirtless guy making out with some random chick. Bom rolled her eyes before going over there and yanking the girl away from him. Dara glared at the girl and the girl scoffed before walking away. “You’re Chanyeol?” Dara glanced at him.

    

    “Who wants to know? And who are you, cutie?”

 

    Chanyeol stumbled forward and attempted to kiss Dara but she quickly dodged it and grabbed his arm, pinning him against the counter. “Oh, , I like it.”

 

    Dara growled and shoved him against the wall. Bom sighed and calmed her down. “Listen up, pretty boy, word is you were pretty close with Kai…”

 

    “What of it?”

 

    “Do you have any idea who would want to do this to him? Was there anyone who had anything against him?”

 

    “Not that I know of. Kai was a good man and a hella good party guy. He partied hard or not at all. This party was actually thrown in honor of him.”

 

    “Oh, yea, we can totally tell you’re in grieving. Bom, let’s just get out of here. This guy’s a joke?”

 

    Chanyeol smirked. “What’s your name, baby? You single?”

 

    “Don’t make me break in that ‘pretty’ little face of yours!”

 

    “Oh, you think I’m pretty.”

 

    “Why you---”

 

    “Ok, enough! Look, we just want to catch whoever did this to your friend. You want to help too, don’t you?” Bom looked at him sternly.

 

    “Of course...look, I honestly don’t know how to help you. The guy was liked and I can’t imagine him ever having any enemies…”

 

    “Alright, well thank you for your time. Let’s get back to Il Woo. Maybe he found something.”

 

    As if on cue, Il Woo called Dara. She immediately answered it as she and Bom walked out of the fraternity house. “Il Woo? What’s up? Did you find anything?”

 

    “Not really...I managed to gather a few more blood samples. And---”

 

    Dara frowned when she got nothing but static from Il Woo’s end. She put it on speaker for Bom to hear. They looked at each other as they listened closely. They heard panting, followed by Il Woo’s scream, and then a low growl. “Oh, no...Il Woo’s in trouble!” Dara grabbed her gun from her pocket and loaded it as she ran with Bom.

 

    They ran until they came to the crime scene but Il Woo was no where to be found. Instead, all they could find was a flashlight and his gun. Dara looked around in the darkness, worried that their killer was going to make Il Woo his next victim. “What’s that?” Bom shined her flashlight at the trail of blood leading into the woods.

 

    “Looks fresh...maybe he dragged Il Woo into the woods. Let’s go check it out.”

 

    “Right…”

 

    Dara and Bom cautiously made their way into the woods, staying close by each other in case their killer decided to come after them next. However, the blood trail suddenly turned into multiple trails. “The killer is trying to confuse us. He knows we’re after him…” Dara breathed, her breath turning into wisps of smoke.

 

    “So, what? Should we split up?”

 

    “No, that’s exactly what he wants...we need to stick together no matter what…”

 

    Bom nodded, pointing her gun in all directions. They continued to walk until they found themselves close by the beach. “There’s no forest left. The killer must still be somewhere in the forest. We should go back.”

 

    Dara agreed and turned around only to find herself face to face with a dark hooded figure, with amber colored eyes. Bom was still facing away, scanning the beach. Dara slowly took a step back, keeping her eye on the thing in front of her. “Bom…”

 

    “What is it?”

 

    “Run.”

 

    “What?”

 

    Bom turned around just in time to see the dark figure. Her eyes widened in fear. Before any of them were able to process what was happening, the figure lunged at Dara.

 

----------------------------------------

 

Warehouse

 

    Top looked through the blood samples and noticed how the blood cells were different from that of the average human. In fact, they didn’t appear human at all...his eyes widened as he pushed himself away from his desk and ran over to Jiyong. Jiyong stood up immediately upon sensing something wrong. “Jiyong...we have a problem…”

 

    “What is it?”

 

    “The blood found on your clothes wasn’t from a human...the blood sample was almost identical to yours…” Top gulped nervously.

 

    “So that means…”

 

    “There’s another ‘beast’ in town…”

 

    “But if that’s true, then…” Jiyong gasped and gripped onto the bars of the cage as realization hit him. “Dara’s in trouble!”

 

    “You have no idea...the blood I found was similar to yours but not exact. The blood carried stronger traces of animal DNA along with the Super Drug...that means even more so whoever this is will lose their human inhibitions. All they will want to do is kill. And I really hate to say this but if Dara is investigating the case right now, she might very well become its next target…”

 

    “Damn it! Top, let me out! I need to find her!”

 

    “It’s too dangerous, Jiyong!”

 

    “I don’t ing care! I’m not going to let that bastard hurt her!” Jiyong’s eyes flared gold for a split second. “Besides, if Dara’s with her, doesn’t that mean Bom is, too?”

 

    “ing hell! Alright, let’s get the hell out of here.”


    Top unlocked Jiyong’s cage and the two of them stormed off to find the girls. Hopefully they weren’t too late…