Chapter 4

Heartless

            They woke up early on that day. Make sure that everything were ready and get ready as fast as they could. They went downstairs to have their breakfast and before they went out from that house for a honeymoon, they waved a good bye to the older one. The flight is at 9 o’clock in the morning. So, they must reach the airport earlier.

            Chanyeol wore his favorite long-sleeve blue cotton t-shirt, matched with his dark blue jeans and his white Nike shoes, gave by Hyo Yeon. While, Hyo Yeon wore a sleeveless yellow blouse with brown dots on. Matched with her white mini skirt and she didn’t forget to bring her half black sweater along.

            In their journey to Paris, they took that opportunity to rest themselves. At first, Chanyeol and Hyo Yeon enjoyed themselves watching the movie and sometimes playing the games, but after taking their meals, they decided to sleep while waiting the plane to arrive at the France International Airport.

            Hours later, they arrived. Because of too exhausted, they stopped the taxi and went directly to their 5stars hotel that has been booking by Hyo Yeon’s mother. They took their seat and the taxi moved peacefully on the road. The two of them were enjoy themselves by looking around them. Paris was very beautiful that could make anybody to widen their eyes whenever they stepped on Paris.

            Paris was very popular with make ups and perfumes. It also a good place for a widow shopping and that’s why Hyo Yeon was being so excited. While, Chasnyeol is surprised to see the beautiful views along the river side. And, luckily it’s just opposite of their hotel. The taxi stopped and dropped down the two of them. Chanyeol went out from the taxi, went to the back and carried out their luggage.

            Hyo Yeon is surprised to see the hotel and Chanyeol held her hand tight, brought her into the hotel and checked in. After taking the entry card and confirmed their room number, they went into the lift and went to their room. And promised they would have a nice day for tomorrow.

           They woke up the next day and realized it was a nice weather for them. It is like Paris was welcoming them. It was a nice view from their room as opposite of it was a river. The sun rose up slowly and it was just like smiling at them, welcoming them in hope they will enjoy for their honeymoon in Paris. They woke up from their sleep, leaving their queen size of bed and wore on their cotton t-shirt with short pants. And, at last wore their sport shoes.

            Before they went for their breakfast, Chanyeol and his wife planned to have a jog at the river side while they can see the beautiful views around them. They felt the cold breeze touched their cheeks and it even made them feeling so fresh in the early morning. And, at last they stopped. Facing the river while took a deep breath before they released it slowly.

            They had a walk first before they went for their breakfast. Few minutes later, they went back to their hotel and went to the down floor where people were ready to have their breakfast. It was a buffet and it is easier for them to choose what they want to eat. Chanyeol as usual will have his favorite coffee, white coffee with boiled eggs and slices of toast. While, Hyo Yeon chose a glass of milk with a bowl of oat, a suitable food for the one that on diet.

Flashback:-

            He stopped his alarm clock and trying very hard to sleep back. But, he just can’t sleep. And then, he smelled of something nice came from the kitchen. He smelled something like coffee. Automatically, he up his lips and get up from his bed. His mother must be brewed the coffee. Chanyeol woke up and went to open his room door slowly, peeked out from his room.

            “Just come out from your room. No need to peek out.” She said while pouring the coffee into the cup. Chanyeol scratched his back head and walked out slowly from his room, smiling sheepishly towards his mother.

           “Go wash your face and brush your teeth first.” She ordered and put some sugar into the coffee, followed by the creamer.

            “What are you doing mom?” he asked while looking carefully on what his mother doing.

            “Of course I’m making for your favorite white coffee.” She answered simply and took a spoon of the coffee and tasted it. She replied with an ‘emm’ and continued to stir the coffee.

            “Is that how you made your coffee mom?” he asked curiously and went nearer to his mom.

            “Yeah… It’s just simple. I hope one day you can make it by your own.” She said in the tone of teasing.

            “I’ll make a very nice coffee ever and I bet it’s nicer than yours.” He said in the same tone and then he laughed. He took the cup of coffee and drank it directly.

            “Oh God. It’s hot.” He mumbled and his face turned to red.

            “You idiot. Of course it’s hot. And, you naughty boy. I asked you to wash your face and teeth first!” she said and slapped his back. Chanyeol laughed and avoided his mom.

            “It’s hot mom. But still, it’s nice.” He said and winked to his mom before he went to the washroom. She chuckled and sighed.

          Chanyeol looked at the cup of white coffee. He didn’t know why it is so sudden for him to remember his mom. He sipped the coffee a bit and looked after it with a blank face.

            “Honey, are you okay?” he heard his wife calling for him and he can feel the warmness of her touch.

            “I’m fine baby.” He replied and made her confident by putting a smile on.

            On the afternoon, it was a very enjoyable day that they never had before. They went for a shopping near the hotel. Hyo Yeon thanked her mother for choosing a very classy hotel and what made her happy the most was, it was very near to shopping mall until she could smell the smell of the perfumes from the nearest shopping mall.

            Chanyeol followed her and gave a suggestion for her, which one the perfume that he likes her to use and which one that he dislikes. Huo Yeon also bought a bottle of perfume for her husband and asked him to use it whenever she wants. She didn’t want to let other women outside there to smell how nice his husband’s perfume was.

            Chanyeol surprised her by buying a Louis Vuitton handbag that she really wanted for. She thanked him by giving him a kiss and promised to take care of the bag. That is how their day passed with sweet moments that they created.

            While in the evening, Paris started to rain and turned the day to become cold. Hyo Yeon wore on her jacket and asked Chanyeol to go to the next café to have at least a cup of hot tea. And, she found out a shop that sold pies. She knew that her husband liked pies so much. She pulled his hand and brought him to the pie shop.

            There were a lot of customers inside the shop. Some of them sat there and had their tea time. And, got some bought the pies and brought it home. The lady that beside Joanne had chosen an apple pie with mixed fruit pie. Hyo Yeon realized that mixed fruit pies were the most popular and wanted by customer as Joanne saw that pies sold out very fast.

            Chanyeol took a tong and a tray, handed it to his wife. Joanne had chosen apple pies, pineapple pies, strawberry pies and the mixed fruit pies. They surprised to know that the mixed fruit pie is served with the sauce, the blueberry sauce. Chanyeol and Joanne went to find a seat and found a seat near a vase of bonsai tree at the corner. And, suddenly the memory came.

Second flashback:-

            It was a sunny day. Chanyeol was just about finishing his homework. He went out from his room and realized his mom was not around. As usual, his mom will turn on the radio and listen to it while knitting. But, she was not in the living room.

            “Mom…?” he called.

            “I’m outside here.” She replied. Chanyeol went outside the house and find out that his mom was in front of a tree that he never knows.

            “What are you doing?” he asked and watching his mom putting the small tree into a vase, followed by a plastic of sand.

            “You see this son. She’s beautiful right?” she said and poured some water.

            “What is it?” he asked with curiosity.

            “This is what we called a bonsai tree.” She replied and smiled towards her son.

            “Oh I see. This is what my teacher’s saying about in the class.” He said and nodded. His mom used her back hand to wipe the sweat on her head. The sun seemed like burning her skin and sometimes she fanned herself.

            Chanyeol lent his hand and helped her mom to stand up. Brought her into the house and let her have a seat. She seemed very tired and Chanyeol switched on the fan for her.

            “You’re too old for this mom.” He said and looked worried.

            “You can do for the gardening. But, not in the hot sunny day.” He paused. His mom only stared on him and smiled weakly.

            “You sit here. I’ll go to make a tea for you and bring along some of your pies.” He said and went to the kitchen.

                He woke up from his daydreaming when his wife touched his hand.

            “What are you thinking?” she asked.

            “Emm… I’m just wondering where our next station is. What’s your plan baby?” He lied and asked his wife.

            “What about we go for a game?” she asked. Chanyeol raised his eyebrow up.

            “Let’s go honey…” she begged.

            “Everything for you dear…” he replied and smiled towards her. A few minutes later, the waiter came and asked for the order. As usual, Chanyeol will choose white coffee as his drink while his wife ordered a hot green tea with honey.

            “This is for you, dear. I know you fancy apple pie very much.” She said and placed an apple pie on the plate in front of him. Chanyeol smiled and thanked her.

            “Oh, you should taste the mixed fruit pie and dip a bit with the sauce. It’s really nice.” She said and Chanyeol can see the happy smile on her face. He nodded and smiled. He hoped the smiles on her face will never go.

            The day passed and they didn’t realize it’s time for them to left Paris. Paris was just a nice place and they promised they would visit Paris at another time. They reached the airport and waved a good bye to Paris. Then, work day will start for them.

Wednesday, 08.00 a.m., in the office…

          He turned the file from page to another page. His face seemed very serious and the guy in front of him seemed waiting for him. Chanyeol paused for a while, read the report carefully. After finishing reading it, he faced the guy in front of him.

          He talked to the guy with a serious face. He wasn’t the Chanyeol before. There’s no smile appear anymore and the staff in the office felt really awkward. After finishing talking to the guy, he asked the guy to get out from his office and that guy went out from the room with a disappointed face.

          He seemed stress. The phone rang but he ignored it. His table was full with folios and files, seemed very messy. He sighed and stood up, facing the window and looked through the window. He looked at the sky, it turned cloudy and it could rain soon. While, he can see the road down there was very busy, full with cars everywhere. Then, suddenly someone knocked the door. He was still stood there without looking at his back.

          He heard someone squeezed the door knob and opened the door slowly. He didn’t turn at all and his focus was on the sky. Then, with a blink, it started to rain. The rain has made his view over the city disturbed. He turned and he saw a young lady, his assistant stood in front of the door.

          “I’m sorry for disturbing, Sir Chanyeol. You have a meeting after this.” She said while holding her black notebook and at another hand, she seemed holding something looked like a letter.

            “ And, Sir. This is my quit job’s letter.” She said and placed it on his table. Chanyeol only nodded and waited for her to go out from his room. Chanyeol went towards the sofa, sat on it and sighed badly.

Falshback:-

             The two of them went out from the taxi and quickly went into the house. They were feel very happy, feeling impatience to share their happy moments and give them the gift that Chanyeol and Hyo Yeon had bought.

         Hyo Yeon went into the house first and calling for her father and mother. The maid opened the door for her and greeted her. She asked where her parents are but her maid just keeps quiet and looked on her foot.Chanyeol brought the luggage into the house and greeted the maid. He followed his wife to upstairs and he can see his wife can’t wait anymore to give those gifts that they bought.

            But, when she reached in front of her parents’ room, she paused and the bags fell from her hand. Chanyeol quickly went towards his wife and asked her what happened. He looked into their room and there he saw his father-in-law was lying on his bed.

            Her mother went to Hyo Yeon with her face was wet with tears. She touched her cheek and let her inside her hug. Then, Chanyeol heard she was sobbing very hard.

            “I’m sorry, Hyo. Your father had left us and will never come back.” She said in her cry. Chanyeol is surprised and then, he heard his wife cried. Chanyeol knew how it feels when someone that we love left us. Chanyeol experienced it before, when he was at 12, his father passed away and left him with his mother.

            Chanyeol hugged his wife and let her cried in his hug. In hope, she is willing to let her father go to the heaven. Then, since that day, he replaced his father-in-law’s job in the office. Since, that day he was very busy with the work. Every day he will face with meetings and files on his table. More at the office and less at home.

 

            It was still raining outside there. Not long after that, after his assistant calling him for a meeting, he went into the meeting room and held the meeting for 3 hours. On that day, he didn’t take for his lunch. Not even for the lunch, but he didn’t take for his favorite coffee anymore, white coffee. Chanyeol looked over the paper on his table, read it one by one and finally left his signature on it.

            After hours doing his work, suddenly his phone rang. His maid’s name appeared on his phone screen. Chanyeol gave a glance once and at last managed to ignore it. At home, his maid was calling for his master, Chanyeol. That was the 7th call that she has made. But seemed his master was too busy with his work until didn’t have a time to answer her call.

            She looked at the watch. It was already 3 p.m. She felt very worried because Geun Suk still hasn’t home yet. He should be home 2 hours ago. It was still raining cats and dogs outside and it made her feeling even worried. The driver was on holiday that day and Chanyeol drove by his own in the morning. Geun Suk, he was Chanyeol’s only son. A 3 year-old and mental disability kid. Chanyeol should fetch him and send him home. She started to walk around aimlessly and sometimes glanced at the watch. Seriously, she felt very worry! She took her phone and tried to call for her master. Once again, there’s no answer.

            She went to her room, change her clothe and tell another maid in that house that she will be away. She gets the umbrella at the front door and looked for the day. She took a deep breath and went out to the big gate. She heard the thunder and there’s a flash of lightning on the sky. She braved herself and walked out from that big house. She decided to go to Geun Suk’s kindergarten and bring him home.

            All of the students have gone back home with their parents. The kindergarten has closed and left only him outside the kindergarten. He was holding his ninja turtle bag while his right hand was holding his drink bottle. He was waiting outside the kindergarten and he was full soak with rain water from head to toes.

            Even it was raining heavily there, but he was still standing there, waiting for his father to fetch him home. He believed that his father will come at any moment. His left hand held a plastic bag very tight. He will show that to his father and he knew that will make his father to be happy.

            He felt that his head was feeling very heavy and his sight was getting blur. He felt that he lost balance and fell to the ground.  Minutes later, the maid arrived at the kindergarten. She is surprised to see him faint on the road and ran after him. His face looked pale and he felt very cold. She got panicked and hurried to carry him up. She didn’t care if she was wet with the rain water. All what she knows, she wanted to bring his master’s son to the hospital.

            Half an hour later, she arrived at the hospital. She cried for helps and the doctor with the nurses came after them. His body was very cold and his face turned pale and blue. The doctor and nurses brought him to the ward.

            “Who were his parents?” the doctor stopped her and asked.

            “Call his father, the owner of _____ Co. Holdings.” She said and fainted. The nurses placed them into the same ward. The maid seemed not in a critical condition, but for the 3 year-old kid. They prayed to God that he will be safe. All what they can do are just helping to save him.

            The company’s phone rang and someone answered it. She widened her eyes and hung up the phone. She ran into the office and went to get for her boss. She knocked the door and she heard him asked her to come in. For a while, she panted and tried to breathe normally. Chanyeol was in front of his laptop, busy sending the email to Japan.

            “S-Sir Chanyeol… I get a call from hospital. Your son is in the hospital! He’s in a bad condition!” she said and took a breath again. Chanyeol stopped from doing his work and automatically stood up from his seat.        

Chanyeol took his keys and went out from his office. He drove the car over the speed and reached the hospital in minutes later. He walked into the hospital and went to ask at the counter. After confirm where was the ward placed his son and the maid, he went straight to there without any hesitation.

            He went into the ward; he can see the nurses and doctor were very busy. He looked at his son’s face. He saw the pale and weak face. While, the bed beside him, he saw his maid was lying weakly on the bed. Then, he heard one of the nurses was calling for the doctor.

            “Doctor, she is dead.” She said while holding her hand, looking for her pulse around her wrist. The doctor looked for the meter and listened for heartbeat. A while later, he shook his head with a sad looking. She has passed away.

            While, his son that was beside there, the nurses were looking after him, checked for his body temperature and the pulse. And, at last they smiled.

            “Doctor, it’s miracle. His body temperature turned to normal and his heart beat also in a normal rate.” The nurse said with a relief face. The doctor went towards him and checked for his heartbeat.

            “This is miracle. He’s safe!” the doctor said.

            Chanyeol waited for the doctor and looked at him with full of questions. The doctor realized Chanyeol was standing in front of the door while watching at them with a blank face like an idiot. He patted his shoulder softly.

            “You must be Park Chanyeol right?” he asked and Chanyeol nodded.

            “I’m sorry. I can’t safe your mother but your son is safe.” He paused and turned to look at back for a while.

            “It’s really miracle. Your mother brought your son to the hospital with full soak of rain water. From my research, I guessed your son has waited under the rain for hours and your mother has saved him and brought him here. When I saw your son, I think that your son can’t live anymore. But, you see it by your own. Your son is safe. And, I’m really sorry for your mom.” He said and patted his shoulder again.

            The doctor left him in the ward, followed by the nurses. And, one of the nurses lent him a plastic bag. He opened the plastic bag with curiosity and there he found out there was a drawing inside it.

            He looked over it and he knew it was a drawing of a kid. He looked over it and realized it was drawn with a crayon. And, suddenly he felt that his eyes turned watery. He figured out that there’s a pie inside the plastic bag. The decoration on the pie was kind of messy and he find out there’s a small note inside the plastic bag. It was a type note that said,’ Happy Birthday Appa.

He can feel something hot on his cheeks and he looked at her son on the bed. Slowly, he went closer to his son and held his hand tight. He watched over the face, and then he realized he really looked like his mother. Slowly, he touched his little cheek. He felt that he was sobbing.

            He went to the next bed. He looked at his maid’s face. He felt very guilty. Because of him, his maid has faced the death and left the world forever. He held her cold hand while staring at her face.

            “I’m very sorry.” He said in his cry.

            “And, thank you for saving my son’s life.” He said. He heard someone moving on the bed and as he turned he saw his son was trying to sit on his bed. He went to his bed and helped him to sit up.

            “Appa, mianhae. I know it’s my fault. I was a very naughty boy.” He said and cried. Automatically, he hugged his son tight.

            “I should the one that say sorry.” He said.

            “I’m very sorry, Geun Suk. Appa is a bad appa for you. I’m very sorry. Please forgive me.” He said.

            “Why should you say sorry to me, appa? You’re my appa. Appa never did wrong to me.” He said. Chanyeol released the hug. He played with his hair and stared on his face. He smiled to him and it even made him feel guilty.

            “Saegeul chukka hamnida, appa.” He said and gave a light kiss on his forehead.

            “Today is my birthday?” he asked.

            “Yes.” He replied confidently.

            “How come you remember my birthday?” he asked. As long as he knows, his son was the one that hard to remember a thing.

            “It’s grandma told me.” He answered.  

            “And, I asked the teacher at my kindergarten to remind me when it is your birthday. I even asked teacher to help me to make a pie.” Chanyeol cried again and hugged him back.

            After confirming at the doctor that he can go home at tomorrow, Chanyeol went home and promised that he will come to bring him home tomorrow. He gave a kiss for him and waved a good bye for him. Then, he drove away from the hospital and went home. While, he was driving the car, he remembered the memory about three years ago.