The pickpocket

Compilation of KyuSung Drabble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was bright sunny day in Seoul. The rays of sun were beaming brightly through the glass window of shops and café  at Myeongdong street. It was summer break and the street was packed with  people, from kids to elderly. Some of them were eating ice cream and some were just fanning themselves with a paper fan, showing that the weather was pretty hot. It was kinda hard to move around since the street was filled with people. But not with Jongwoon.

“Ouch. Sorry”

A man with baseball cap bowed his head slightly at the person he’d just bumped on, a businessman who was on the phone, maybe with his client or someone. The businessman shrugged him off and continued walking.

“I think Jongjin can eat delicious dinner today.” Jongwoon, the man with baseball cap grinned as he checked the wallet that he’d stolen from the poor businessman.

Was It obvious? Yes, Jongwoon was a pickpocket. Living only with his younger brother who’d been sick made him use the fast and easy way to get money. He realized that the world wasn’t rainbows and marshmallow. Who said that money can’t buy happiness? He needed money to get the happiness, which was seeing his brother healthy. Jongwoon learned about it the hard way. His parents died in car crash and all the wealth they had before went to the greedy uncle who decided to kick him and his brother out from their house. He was seventeen and Jongjin was eight. He had to quit school and work his of as anything, janitor, porter, dustman, even he had those days where he had to beg for money from strangers on the street, just to feed his brother and himself. This sounded like a makjang drama? No, this was Kim Jongwoon’s life, which was worse than any drama on TV.

“Jongjin-ah, Hyung’s home. I bought Jjangmyun for you.”

Jongwoon stepped inside his small house which he just rented a year ago, when he started his new “job” as pickpocket. The first time he did it was not intentional. He accidentally bumped on a woman who dropped her wallet and he was going to give it back but the woman had gone already. Just like won a lottery, the wallet was filled with a huge amount of money. Jongwoon spent the money to buy medicines and foods for a week. After that he thought about pick pocket, once, twice and then went on, he never got caught which made him keep doing it for years until he could afford a place to live with his brother.

“Hyung? You are home? Ah! is that Jjangmyun? Did the boss give you bonus?” Jongwoon’s younger brother, Jongjin, jumped off from the bed and tackled his hyung with a hug. The older just smiled. Jongjin never knew that he always got the money from pick-pocketing. All the 12 years old knew was his brother worked at the café.

“Yes, my boss gave me bonus because I worked hard! Let’s eat then after that you should drink your medicines, okay?”

“Okay hyung!” Jongjin chirped happily as he opened the wrap of the food. The kid slurped the black noodles in joy like it was his first time eating the food. Jongwoon caressed his brother’s hair affectionately. It had been a while since his brother could eat delicious meal, usually he only ate cheap kimbap from the convenience store.

“Hyung, you are not eating?” Jongjin stopped munching and stared at his older brother.

“No, hyung has eaten before. Just eat.” Jongwoon wiped the black bean sauce on the side of Jongjin’s mouth with tissue. The kid only hummed and continued eating. “Don’t forget to take your medicine. Hyung will shower now.”

“Aye aye captain.”

 

Jongwoon stood at the dark corner of an alley at Myeongdong street. His gaze was moving around, trying to find target to pickpocket. His eyes landed on a tall young man with chestnut hair. The man was busy with his game console and didn’t really notice about his surrounding. His outfit screamed that he was from well off family.  Jongwoon his lip, seemed like the tall man would be his target today. He spotted a brown wallet at his back pocket and smirked. Walking confidently towards the tall man, Jongwoon purposely bumped his shoulder at his target. In swift motion, the wallet moved to his hand.

“Oops, sorry.” Jongwoon innocently apologized.

“HEY! USE YOUR EYES. I LOST BECAUSE OF YOU!”

Jongwoon got startled and dropped the wallet from his hand. For seconds, no one said anything and both of them only stared at the brown wallet on the ground with wide eyes.

“Huh, that’s my wallet?” The tall man

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter