Answers

Complicated Love: ToDay and Tomorrow

Kai was shocked at the question and so was Suho. Suho looked at his dongsae and knew that expression. Kai didn’t want to let SeulMi go just yet. Suho couldn’t say anything nor do anything because they were both divorce people, interfering would only make things worse. SeulMi, on the other hand couldn’t tell if Kris was kidding or not.

“SeulMi,” said Chen, “Are you going to give hyung an answer?”

SeulMi was speechless. She saw Kris’ smile and she was just lost. The guy who cared for her for two years, was he saying the truth or was he kidding. From the corner of her eyes she could see Kai was uncomfortable with the question himself.

“What are you guys doing?” Xiumin and everybody else came, along with EunMi and ChangMin. The scene was kind of weird. Kris’ face was really close to SeulMi and the guys were all just looking at the two, like watching a drama.

“We were-” Sehun got caught off by SeulMi.

“N-nothing.” SeulMi looks at Xiumin. She was never so glad to see Xiumin and the rest of the officers. “We were just talking.”

“Then why is Kris so close to you.” Kris turns to Xiumin.

“Staring contest. They say that the eyes are the gateways to the soul.” Kris walks and grabs his suitcase. “Shall we go?”

“Kaja.” Xiumin and they all walks off towards the direction of their gate. Kris looks at Kai before continuing on his way. SeulMi rolls up next to him.

“Kaja.” She rolls towards the same direction.

-----

As soon as they got off at the airport everyone went their own way. DongWon took care of SeulMi while Ririn went with Kai. Kai looks at SeulMi as her and DongWon got into a different cab. How he wished he was DongWon right now. Ririn also watched at DongWon placed SeulMi in the car with such care. She sighs and looks at Kai, whose gaze was still on the two.

“JongIn.”

“Hm?”

“Kaja.” Ririn pointed to the cab.

“Ne.” He took one last look as SeulMi’s cab drove past them. He finally got into the cab. Ririn notice his expression.

“JongIn.” He was in a daze, “Umm…JongIn ssi.” She poke his shoulder and her looks over.  “Gweanchah-a?

“Mmm.”

“Can I ask you a question?” he nods, “What is your relation with SeulMi ssi?”

“Waeyo?”

“You seem really close to her. By the way you look at her and the way you talk to her.” Kai smirks.

“You remember that ring you found that one time you took me home from the bar.”

“You told me that it belong to someone close to you.”

“That was her ring.” he looks at Ririn, “Our wedding ring.”

“So, she is your…” Ririn was so surprise, “wife?” Kai looks back at the front.

“Ex-wife.”

“What happened? I – I mean why did you break up, if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Let just say I did some really stupid things and now I regret it.” He sighs, *and now my friend is hitting on my wife.* he thought to himself.

“Do you think DongWon and her have something going on?”

“Ani.” He saw her awkward expression, “Waeyo?”

“Aniyo.” Ririn looks out the window.

 

SeulMi kept playing with her hands. She was so nervous that she couldn’t think straight. Why would Kris ask her that question? He knew she was Kai’s ex-wife and Kai was his best friend. So why would he.

“SeulMi.” DongWon notice her hands.

“Ne.” her head shot up. DongWon couldn’t help but chuckle a little.

“Are you okay?”

“Aniyo.” She tilt her head back against the seat.

“What is wrong?”

“I-,” She hesitated, “I don’t want to tell you.”

“You can tell me.” DongWon smiles at her, “I’m your oppa right?” She lets out a huge cry shocking DongWon, “Wae- waeyo?”

“Otteke oppa?” she shook his arm, throwing a teenage girl fit, “Otteke?”

“What?” he chuckles, “Does it have something to do with what was happening before we arrived at the airport?” SeulMi turns red and nods, “What is it?”

“Kris, asked me… out.”

“Oh.” That was all that came out of DongWon’s mouth.

“Oh?” SeulMi was furious, “I’m freaking out here and all you have to say for it is, ‘oh’.”

“I thought it was a life and death situation.”

“DongWon~.” She whines

“What do you want me to do about it?”

“I don’t know.” She crosses her arm. “Help me solve this.”

“Well, let’s start with the easy part.” He looks at her, “How do you feel about Kris?”

“As in affection?” DongWon nods, “The same way I feel about you. An older brother.”

“Then why couldn’t you tell him no.”

“I don’t know.” She thought about it, “I just couldn’t.”  She closed her eyes and remember exactly what had happen. When BaekHyun brought up the question she saw Kai tense up in the back. And when Kris asked the question again she couldn’t give him an answer. It was all too sudden. “Maybe…” DongWon looks over at her, “I just wanted to…see Kai’s reaction.”

--------

Everyone got to the beach house and the guys started to unload. SeulMi was inside looking around the family beach house. There was a huge family picture of her family on the wall. She stared at it for a long time. She felt someone come and stand next to her.

“Is this your family?” SeulMi looks up, to find Ririn next to her. “I’m sorry Ms. Kang I was just curious.”

“Ani.” SeulMi smiles and looks back at the picture, “It is okay…Oh and you don’t have to call me Ms. Kang, just call me SeulMi.”

“Ne, SeulMi ssi.” SeulMi chuckles.

“And you can’t drop the formalities. I don’t like people who are older than me using formalities with me. I feel like I’m being disrespectful.”  SeulMi rolls away

 

Kai brought all of SeulMi’s things in her room. He puts SeulMi’s bag on the draw and picks up his satchel.

“I don’t understand how women that doesn’t even walk need all of these things.”

“Is there a problem,” Kai head turn towards the door, “with me needing what I need?”

“SeulMi.”

“Girls will always be girls you know.” She rolls her chair towards the desk, “Even if they can’t walk.” She grabs her bag but Kai grabs it and puts it on the bed for her. “Gomawa.” She s the bag, “You and DongWon are sharing a room.”

“What about you?”

“Who else would I be sharing a room with?” Kai thought about it and SeulMi just shakes her head.

“Oh…that makes sense.”  There was only one queen size bed in the room.

“You should go and unpack your things too. Everyone is going to start heading out in a bit.”

“What about you?”

“I’m going to go to the dock.”

“You mean the ‘dock’.” SeulMi nods, “The dock you fell from.”

“Ne, waeyo?”

“I’ll go with you.”

“Ani, DongWon is going to go with me.” She rolls herself towards the desk and put down her huge purse, “Kai, are you not going to leave? Or should I have DongWon come in and take you out.”

“Ani, I’ll go.” Kai stole a glance at her and walks towards the door but it flew open hitting him in the face. “Ahh.”

“Oops.” Ririn looks terrified. She looks over, “Omo, JongIn, mianhae.” SeulMi was surprise at what she heard. Ririn actually called Kai, JongIn. Were they that close?

“I’m fine.” Kai rubbed his forehead.

“Are you guys that close?” SeulMi looked at the two.

“What?” they both said. Kai could tell by her expression she was disturbed by something.

“Ani.” She looks at Ririn, “What did you need Ririn?”

“Oh, I was just looking to see if JongIn was ready to go. They said he was in your room, so I came here.”

“He was just leaving.” Kai took a glance at her and then leaves with Ririn. “Oh and before you go.” they both stop, “If you guys want to read anything there are books in the library.”

“Books?” Kai look at her, “About what?”

“It just story that Hal-abeoji and SeulKi unnie wrote…you might find some unanswered questions there.” Kai nods.

“I’ll check it out later.” They both leave SeulMi’s room.

 SeulMi rolls to the bed and unpacks. She rolls over to the closet and opens it. She looks up at the hangers. She took a deep breath before getting up slowly. She stands up from her chair and grabs the hangers from the closet and sits back down. She looks at her legs.

“Still a bit shaky but we’re getting there.”

 

SeulMi rolls out of the room and sees that DongWon was there in the living room waiting for her.

“You’re still here?” DongWon turns and looks at her. She had white sundress on with a straw hat that help shade her face. “I thought you left.”

“Not without the person I was supposed to guard.” He walks over and pushes her towards the door. “So where to?”

“I wanted to go and visit a place.”

“Where?”

“The dock.” DongWon raised one of his eyebrows and pushes her towards the dock.

“Why the docks?”

“My first unintentional kiss.” She smirks

“Aish…this girl.”

 DongWon and her continue to make jokes and laughed until they got there. The docks was partially wood and brick. There was a small lighthouse at the end of the dock. The water seemed almost endless. There was a cool breeze in the air, but not too many people. SeulMi rolled her chair towards the spot where she fell off. She closed her eyes and felt the cool wind blow through her hair.

“DongWon.”

“Hmm?”

“What are you going to do about Ririn?” DongWon didn’t answer, “I know you’ve guy talked by now. Are you guys going to get back together?”

“What is the point of loving someone who doesn’t love you?”

“Is that what she told you?”

“Hmm?”

“If she didn’t say it, then she is still waiting for you.”

“What about you and Kai?”

“Same as you, but he actually told me that he love my sister.” She sighs, “I can’t trust his words no more. But you should go back to Ririn if you love her though, and if you don’t, tell her, don’t let her hang on to false hope.” DongWon looks at the end of the dock and something caught his eyes.

“Don’t you think they have something going on with each other though?”

“Who?” SeulMi looks up at DongWon and saw him looking towards the end of the dock. She looks the same way and sees Kai and Ririn looking at the ocean. They laughed and smiled.

“If you have no lingering feelings it shouldn’t hurt right?” DongWon asked SeulMi. SeulMi nods as they both stare from far away, “Then why does it hurt so badly?” SeulMi felt her heart ache.

“Sarang.”

 

Everyone returned to the beach house where Xiumin and EunMi were preparing for a BBQ outside. EXO was talking about all the girls they saw at the beach and at the resort. Kai and Ririn had just returned.

“Whoa.” All the boys yelp and scream. Kai and Ririn comes in blushing.

“Kai has a new girl now.” Chen said. They all began looking at Kris.

“Bwoh?” Kris looks at them.

“Since Kai hyung already moved on,” Sehun look at him, “How about asking SeulMi again.” Kris hits Sehun with a paper

“Babo…who asks a girl out twice in one day.” Kris goes back to watching T.V.

“It probably because he feels rejected already.” Said Tao. The started to laugh again.

Kai looks around and didn’t see SeulMi. Kai saw DongWon playing with ChangMin. He walks over to him.

“DongWon hyung, where is SeulMi?”

“Resting. She said that she was tired so she turned in early.” DongWon’s eyes caught Ririn talking to the guy. “Excuse me.” He gets up and leaves.

Everyone was outside BBQ and having fun but Kai’s mind was on how was SeulMi’s condition. Kris and Suho were thinking the same thing.

 

SeulMi waited for everyone to go to sleep. She rolled herself towards the pool in the beach house. She put on the brakes for the wheelchair and untied her robe and took it off. She held onto the two railing and slowly sat down on the stairs in her bathing suit. She put the float under arm and slowly slid down into the water. She started to walk again in the water.

Kai couldn’t sleep because of SeulMi. He decided to get up and go and check on her. He had on shorts and a t-shirt. He walks towards her room and sees that the door was open.

“Where did she go?” he thought about it, “Maybe she got hungry.”

He walked towards the kitchen, but it was empty. Kai started to worry. Then he heard the sound of water. He quickly went towards the pool. He was so terrified at first because all he saw was an empty wheel chair. As he got closer he saw SeulMi walking in the pool. He was so surprise. But she looked like she was still scared.

SeulMi walked toward the end of the pool when she felt someone tugs on the float.

“Ahh.” She almost slip as she turns around, “Kai?” he was shirtless.

“I see you’ve been taking private lessons.” He smiles at her.

“Why are you still up?”

“I couldn’t sleep. My mind was wondering about you the whole time.”

“Waeyo?”

“Why didn’t you come down to dinner?”

“I wasn’t feeling good.”

“Then why are you in the water then?”

“What does it look like I am doing?” Kai takes away the float and she grabs onto his arm. “What are you doing?”

“You don’t need that.” He smirk, “I’ll help you.” He holds onto her hands. “C’mon.” Kai started to lead her around the pool a couple times. “When did you start?”

“1 ½ ago.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“What is the point of telling you? It wasn’t like you were going to do anything.” SeulMi looked down at her steps. “Let’s stop I’m getting tired.” Kai nods and lead her to the stairs. He finally notice the rings around her neck. There were two rings.

“You kept them.” She look down.

“Ne.” Kai smiles.

“What about the bracelet?”

“In my room?”

“Waeyo?”

“I don’t want it to rust.”

“SeulMi,” he got her attention, “The question Kris asked today at the airport, what was your answer.”

“Why are you worried about my answer?”

“I just wanted to know.” SeulMi stared at him for a bit.

“What if I said yes?”

“Would you have said yes?”

“No…but if you would have asked me the same question.” His eyes gleam with hope, “I would have said no also.” She grabs onto the rail and pulls herself up. Kai gets up to help her but she refused it. “Good Night.” She rolls herself to her room.

 

Kai stayed up all night in the living room. He saw the two rings on her neck but what about the one he saw in his brother’s office. It was an exact replica, but that wasn’t possible, the rings were handmade according to what SeulKi told him before she passed.

“What is really going on?” He lays on the couch, “Are there really three rings?” he sat straight up, “I should ask hyung…or maybe.” He thought about what SeulMi had said earlier, “Maybe SeulMi’s Hal- abeoji wrote it down somewhere. A story like this, he must have be written down. It was his love story after all.”

 

The next morning everyone was up and ready to go start a new day. Everyone was ready to go except Kai. SeulMi rolled out of her room and met with everyone else.

“Morning everyone.” She smiles at them

“Morning.”

“All security and head board members meet back at the hotel. We’ll have lunch and go on a trip around the resort from there. Anyone else is more than welcome to join us.” Everyone shouted in joy. SeulMi looked around and notice Ririn had a worried look. She rolls over to Ririn. “Is everything alright?”

“I don’t know where JongIn is?”

“I’ll ask DongWon.” She rolls towards DongWon with Ririn following her, “DongWon, where is Kai?”

“He is still asleep in the room. He wasn’t feeling good this morning. He said something about joining us later.” SeulMi nods

“Ririn I guess you have a free day today.”

“Ani…I came here to work I have to stay with him.”

“I know but if Kai doesn’t get this part down somebody has to do it for him.” SeulMi looks at DongWon and back at Ririn “How about this, you and DongWon go together.”

“SeulMi.” DongWon rejected the idea. Ririn was just surprise.

“Ririn, you and Kai were posing as a couple. The only way he can finish this report is if you pose as a couple with DongWon.”

“What about you?”

“I’m handicap. DongWon and I didn’t pose as anything. So you two run along and get back to the hotel at 2 for lunch.” They stared at each other before leaving out the door. SeulMi rolled towards Kai’s room before heading out. She knocked on the door with a tray in her lap. “Kai? Kai?” the door opens. He looked like a huge mess. “Gwaenchah-a?”

“Just a slight headache. Waeyo?”

“If you’re not feeling good take some medicine.” She handed him the tray with a cup of water and some pills. “If you do feel better everyone is meeting up at the hotel at 2 for lunch.”

“Ne.” he nods.

“I’ll be going then. Get enough rest.” SeulMi rolled herself toward the living room. Kai check to make sure she left and closes the door. He puts the tray on the table. He goes to the sink and washes his face.

“The magic of makeup.” He grabs the towel and dries his face, “Now that everyone is gone…time to do some researching of my own.”

He opens the door slowly tiptoe to the library. There were three huge shelves of just book in the middle of the room. Kai looked through the book and notice that either the books had another author or the title didn’t match. He finally got to the section where SeulMi’s grandfather books were. He looks through all of them and none of them had the right title.

“Aish it should be here.” Kai saw a desk in the corner of the room with a book that laid open. He goes and picks up the book. He looks at the cover and there was no title. “This doesn’t look like a book, this looks like a …journal.” He opens the front cover:

This Journal Belongs To:

Kang SeulKi

Preview:

“You were the guy my parents tried to avoid that one night.”

“I can never forgive myself.”

“This place does bring back memories doesn’t it?”

“I loved her before you knew what love was.”

“These rings has cause enough problem for me for one day.”