Love Once Upon A Time Part 1

What Hurts The Most

Seungho

Listen to this song while reading! Click

We were in the basement of a nearby bread store where I also bought the juice and noodles we ate earlier. The saleslady there said we could stay in the basement as she get something for us to wear, like their uniform for the store. She was really nice to let us borrow though they don't know us.

"It's okay oppa... It doesn't hurt at all." Jiyeon said.

I looked at her blankly, unable to find the words to say. Then I gazed down to her pale lips. I quickly embraced her in my arms and shut my eyes closed. I was stopping myself from kissing her, because she might get mad if I do that. Or get rejected right here right now. So instead I just hugged her. But something came up to me when I pulled away. Her bright eyes blinked when I... all of the sudden, kissed her lips.

Before long, she pushed me away lightly, her eyes widened in surprise. "W-Why? Why did you kiss me?" She asked.

I looked down and scratched the back of my nape. How do I tell her when I don't even know why I just suddenly kissed her? It...it just happened so fast. I heard her curse under breath saying "" and all that. She stood up away from me and as she turned her back on me, she was swearing again. She said a lot but I said nothing.

Just...

Nothing at all.

"Here's the clothes," the saleslady came with the clothes she brought for us.

I beckoned at her with a smile. "Thanks," I muttered under my breath.
 

"Yes mom? What is it?" I answered my phone, it was my mother calling late at night.

"Come home tomorrow." She said.

"What? Why?"

"I just have something important to let you know, so be here, okay? Now go to sleep. Goodnight, sweetie."

"But m-" she ended the call without even explaining. "What's so imortant that she's not telling me on phone?"

When I drove back home to our house in Busan, that's when I promised myself that when I get back to Gwangju and meet Jiyeon again, I'll have to confront her about my feelings. And going home here is my chance to let my parents know that I like her.

But that's when I found out what's so important that they made me go back home.

"You know Sora right?" My mother put her hands on Sora's shoulder, she's my ex-girlfriend. We were together back in high school but we separated ways later. I blinked when I saw her, I didn't know how to greet her because I was too surprised to see her at home.

"Yeah," I nodded. "Sora, what are you doing here?" 

"Her parents, me and your father arranged a marriage for the two of you!" Mom exclaimed happilly. I was caught off guard when she said that. I couldn't say a thing. Sora was waiting for me to say something but I didn't.

"Don't you love this idea, son? Sora said she's been waiting for this day to come too." Mom smiled at Sora who was also smiling. "Son? Come on. Say something, sweetie." 

"Uhm... I think we need to talk, mom." I went straight to the balcony without making eye contact with Sora. 

Mom followed me in the balcony. I couldn't control my voice I just shouted and startled her. "Mom how could you just arrange a marriage between me and Sora without even telling me first?!"

"What is wrong with you?" She gasped. "I thought you'd like this idea? Wasn't she your girlfriend? She's also your childhood friend! You remember when you first met her? You told me that you always want to be by her side and make her feel safe. That was when she and her family escaped North Korea with your father. Sora feels the same way too she wants to be by your side so what's the problem? Did you forget all of that sweetie?"

"Mom of course I do remember but that was before! People change. I mean, Sora is a good friend but  don't think getting married is the right decision." 

"No of course it is-"

"No it's not. You're not me. You guys have no right to tell me who to marry."

She glared at me. It was the first time I answered my mom like that, her eyes was teary. I know I hurt her but I wasn't able to control myself. I felt sorry. 

"You know what?" She said in a brittle voice. "You talk to your dad about this." And she walked away, sniffling.

I ruffled my hair and turned back. "Seungho?" I heard Sora call my name behind me.

"Oh," was all I could say.

She took a step towards me with her hands clenched together. "Is it because of years ago? When we broke up? Is that why you don't want to marry me anymore?" She asked. I was stunned as I recalled how we ended up our relationship after high school.

"Seungho, wait!" She called and grabbed my wrist. I just looked at her emotionlessly. "Don't leave. I can explain."

"What do you need to explain? How you cheated on me?"

She blinked and looked away. "No... Seungho, it's just that---"

"I understand." I smiled wryly, taking her hands off me. "You made me come over to show me and break up with me. You didn't go to our date, you didn't go on my birthday, I get everything now of why you never showed up when I needed you. I just thought maybe you had a better explanation than..." I saw that man she was making out behind her just standing next to her door. "This..." I sighed, forcing myself to stop the tears from coming. "Bye," I walked away and got on my motorbike.

It was the first time I cried because of a girl.
 

"It was already a long time ago, Sora." I said.

"Then why? Why did you tell that to your mother?"

"Because... It was a long time ago." I repeated. "Didn't you tell me before? The best feeling in the world is marrying someone you really love."

"I love you." She said straight-forward, her words taking me by surprise. "I realised I love you, I still love you, Seungho. You're...different from everyone I met." 

I shook my head and looked away. I didn't know what to say after hearing those words I wanted to hear from her years ago. I could have said something that would hurt her deep inside, but instead, I just left without words. I needed some time. Time to think of how to runaway from this mess. I went to my old room and sat on my bed. I stared at my phone and Jiyeon's name on the call logs.

Father came in shortly. We had a brief talk. He asked me to give him a favor; accept Sora, and he'll help me with my dreams to become a doctor.

"Do I really have no way out?" I asked.

"Why would you want to escape? Is there someone else you want to marry?" He questioned. 

I shook my head.

"I talked to your friends. Minho and Jae. I heard from them that you were on a date with a girl the other day. A first year student, right?" I was confounded. He chuckled. "That's just puppy love, son. Remember, you are twenty years old. And someday when you become a doctor, you'll get married. Sora will study with you, both of you will proceed together in the same school. You'll be spending most of your time with her. You'll forget about that little girl you like because Sora will always be by your side."