Chapter 4

My Life in 180 Degrees!

As the annual music festival is nearly approaching, students majoring in Performing Arts in general are busy preparing for the said event. Junhee and the other freshmen were participating for the first time. Junhee is very nervous about it. There instructor entered Junhee’s class and started explaining about the said event.  Junhee was busy taking down notes regarding the music festival when her attention was called by their instructor.”

“Choi Junhee, you will be working with Kyungsoo. You two will represent our class.” The instructor said.

Junhee really wanted to perform for the music festival but she thought that they would perform together as a class. She was already nervous about performing with the whole class and now she’s going to perform a duet with Kyungsoo.

“Oh, yes sir.” Junhee politely responded to their instructor.

“Kyungsoo, you two work together during your free time. Just see me if you need anything regarding the performance okay?”

“Yes, sir.” Kyungsoo replied and eyed Junhee. She was still surprised about the whole thing and did not even look at Kyungsoo.

After the class Junhee approached Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo, do you have time today? I thought we could start preparing for the performance.”

“We could do it at lunch time.”

“That’s good. See you at lunch then.” Kyungsoo was amused seeing how Junhee is frantic about this performance as he is. Unlike Junhee, Kyungsoo can still manage how nervous he is about this performance. It was his first time performing in a big event like this.

“Unni, please help us.” Junhee pleaded to Shinhye.

Junhee called her close friends for help. She called for Shinhye and Kai at lunch. They were the ones she trusts and they support her well every time she had to perform. Shinhye came with Kris and everybody gathered at lunch. Kyungsoo came with Sehun and was surprised to see Junhee gathered everybody to ask for help. Kyunsoo and Sehun then joined the rest.

“Junhee, don’t worry you’ll do well. You always do” Kai ruffled Junhee’s bangs teasing his best friend.

“But I haven’t performed on such a big event like this.” Junhee whined to Kai.

“Don’t worry noona, Kyungsoo hyung is as nervous as you are. He hasn’t also performed in such event.” Sehun betrayed his cousin which gained him nudge on the stomach from Kyungsoo.

“First the two of you decide on what song you are going to sing. Don’t worry we’ll always be here if you need help.” Shinhye assured Junhee and Kyungsoo.

“Unni do you have any suggestions on songs that are good to perform?” asked Junhee. “You have attended the music festival for two years already do you have any song in mind that we could perform?”

“I do not have any song in mind right now but I’ll try to search for you tonight okay? But since it is a duet it is always safe to go with a love song” Shinhye suggested.

“Actually, Kyungsoo hyung had a song in mind but he was hesitant about it.” Sehun again betrayed his cousin. Kyungsoo just rolled his eyes as he just can’t stop Sehun and Kris just smirked as he always witnesses this kind of situation between these two cousins. Though Sehun always betray his cousin, he does it with it with good intentions. He wants Kyungsoo to be more assertive and be more confident when performing.

“What song were you thinking?” Junhee asked.

“Uhmm… I was thinking… I do not know if you know Ed Sheeran’s songs. Uhm we could do one of them.” Kyungsoo suggested.

“Is the one where he had a duet with Taylor Swift?” Kai asked.

“Oh that’s nice and you could portray childhood lovers. You two could pull it off and actually, it is a good idea.” Shinhye said.

“I was… uhm.. actually thinking of ‘Give Me Love’… I know it’s not originally a duet…but I think we could make it one.” Kyungsoo again muttering as he suggests.

Shinhye suggested that Junhee and Kyungsoo should talk about it first before they come in. They start to have lunch when Kris noticed a familiar guy approached their table. ‘Ahn Jaehyun!’ he thought to himself. At this realization his body stiffens.

“Remember when you encounter him at school, just play it cool okay? Pretend you do not know him yet and contact me as soon as possible.” Woobin warned Kris.

“Oh, excuse me miss but I was not able to thank you last time for giving me directions.” He said as he approached Shinhye. “By the way my name is Alex.” He introduced his name. ‘As expected he’s not going by Ahn Jaehyun.’ Kris thought to himself as he examined Jaehyun and sent a message to Woobin.

“My name’s Shinhye.” Shinhye then introduced everyone.  “I remember you.” said Jaehyun as Shinhye just finished introducing Junhee. “You were the girl, Shinhye’s with right?”

“Yes, that was me.” Junhee admitted.

Jaehyun then diverted his gaze to Kris. “And you must be the boyfriend.” Jaehyun was now referring to Kris. Kris crunched his eyebrows at his statement. He did not really like him knowing he’s up to no good. Everybody became silent after this.

“No, this is my younger brother Kris.” Kris out of courtesy just greeted him with a bow.

“Oh, Sorry, It’s just you were always together when I see you.”

“Are you stalking my sister?” Kris asks calmly.

“Yeah, our relationship as brother and sister is very tight.” Shinhye tried to supress the tension that is arising. The rest just focused on their food at the moment as Shinhye tries to settle this situation.

“I see your brother is a bit protective of you.” Jaehyun said without hesitation. Kris now stares at him seriously. “I am just new here and your sister is one of the people I first met. It was just nice to see her again.” He added then he attended to the text he just received. “Well nice to see you again Shinhye. I hope to see you again. I better go.”

 Kris was watching him carefully as Jaehyun walked away from their table. Shinhye was a bit disappointed with Kris. She thought that he loosened up a bit. Kris and Woobin are getting along these past few days that gave her the thought that maybe Kris was putting his guard down. She took her seat beside Kris and gave him the look ‘what was that?’

“What?”

“Kris that was not very nice.”

Kris glanced at his sister and saw that she was not happy with his behaviour. “I’m sorry.” He apologized. “I went too far, I know but he was a bit irritating.” Shinhye was surprised about Kris response usually he would insist he did not do anything wrong. It was typical of Kris to react like this when someone approaches Shinhye. Maybe because it was the first time she expressed her disappointment regarding this kind of behaviour of Kris. She then gave him a sweet smile and Kris let a small smile escape from his lips. Everybody then continue eating as they sensed the tension was gone.

“I know that you just did that to protect me but can you please go easy next time.” Shinhye requested to Kris as they walk Shinhye to her next class.

“I’ll try.” Again Shinhye smiled at him. “But Shinhye, be careful around…” Kris was trying to remember the name Jeahyun was going by. “Ah, Alex I don’t think he’s a good person.”

As soon as Woobin received a text from Kris he started to follow Jaehyun as he leaves the cafeteria. Jaehyun came out of one of the classrooms with a folder in his hands. He then bumped Jaehyun as he was his way to his next class causing the folder to fall down the ground. Its contents were scattered and Woobin had the opportunity to scan what was I the folder. He tried to help Jaehyun pick up the papers that were scattered on the floor. Woobin apologized and tried to rush giving Jeauhyun the impression that he was rushing for his next class. Woobin then informed his father of what happened.

“The folder contained Shinhye and Choi Junhee’s school records and I think other important files regarding them.” He remembered clearly seeing Shinhye and Junhee’s records with their photographs in the folder.

“Did you see how he got the folder?”

“Unfortunately no. Dad does he know about me?”

“I don’t think so son, why?”

“Because I also saw mine.”

“Jaehyun might not be as smart as his brother but he is very diligent when it comes to work. He wouldn’t have to be involved in this if his brother isn’t sick. He’s still new to all of this as far as I know. Maybe he’s just checking all of the student’s records. Can you think of any reason why we would only have records of Shinhye, Junhee and you?”

“I just know the fact that we were one of the people he met first. I think.”

“Seeing that he got your school record he might be getting closer to unveiling Shinhye’s real identity. I hope that you could settle this situation. We still have people protecting you guys there but the situation that we also have to handle here is getting bigger. I don’t mean to alarm you but just so you know, we need to be extra careful.”

With his father’s tone, it seems that things are getting worse than what it seems to be. Though it was just easy to handle Jaehyun on his own, he wanted to handle it as quiet as possible. Getting their records from the university is not that easy for one person to access. By the looks of it Jaehyun has good networks in the university.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“Where is Shinhye?” Woobin asked Kris as he entered the apartment.

“Sleeping.” Shinhye’s been endlessly working lately. He’s been helping her in work as well but somehow he only causes her inconvenience at work. The owner just agreed to let Kris work at his restaurant because her daughter fancied Kris. As a matter of fact he was not actually working because the daughter’s owner was always hanging around the restaurant. It was uncomfortable for him but still he has to be where Shinhye is no matter what.  Now with Jaehyun around he just cannot keep his guard down. “Why?”

“Good. I think it’s better that you stay here with me for the mean time. I know it’s a little uncomfortable for you but it is safer if you stay here.”

“I know.”

“So convince her to stay her longer.”

“She will still look for another place. She’s hard to convince. As we stay here longer she will insist on paying rent of the apartment and to be honest we can’t afford it”

“I’ll just tell her that you pay the rent by doing chores here in the house. She might not buy it so you have to convince her.”

“I’ll do my best by the way, hyung did you receive my text?”

“Yeah, I followed him. Just be extra careful he’s more capable than we think he is.”

“Why? What happened?”

“He got access to Shinhye’s school records.” Kris opened his eyes wide as he eyed Woobin.

“I know but the situation is still under control don’t worry.” Woobin assured Kris. “I just want you to know. Our goal is to protect Shinhye from all of this so she could enjoy a normal life and I want you to keep her distracted.”

A little while, Shinhye walked out of their room and happily announced to the two boys that she was offered a better job.

“That’s great.” Woobin congratulated her.

“What kind of job is it?” Kris asked.

“I just have to manage an online shop business.”

“Who offered you that job?” Kris asked again.

“Junhee just texted me and I am still verifying the details next week. I’ll tell you all about it once it’s already final. I am just so happy right now. ” Shinhye then said to Kris.

“Be very careful, it might be a scam.” Woobin warned her.

“Well I hope it isn’t. We have to pay you rent and I really need this.”

“Shinhye, I just want you to know that you could stay here for free as long as you want and in case you still insist, which I know you will you can pay just by doing the chores in the apartment. You might also be worried about Kris’ approval so I talked to him already and he’s fine with it.” Kris then assured Shinhye.

“Thanks Woobin.” Shinhye then hugged Woobin. “I am so lucky to have you as a friend.”

“Hey what are friends for.” Woobin was about to hug Shinhye tighter when Kris pulled Shinhye away from Woobin. Shinhye and Woobin laughed together with Kris who was clueless as to what the two were laughing about. Shinhye then Kris and said. “You know since you came here things are getting better for me for some weird reason.”

____________________________________________________________________________________

“Sfinhye, wake up!” Kris was continuously waking Shinhye up. They still have to prepare to attend the annual music festival. Shinhye just took a nap after coming from school but somehow she extended her nap and slept for too long. “Uhmm…” Shinhye groaned and pulled her comforter to cover her face. Kris then walked near her bed and pulled the comforter out of her.

“Shinhye, you have to wake up already. We have to attend the music festival and we are going to be late if you intend to sleep longer.” Kris can see how tired she was.  They’ve been helping in the preparations for the music festival for days and it was really exhausting.

“Oh my…” Shinhye quickly got up and stated preparing to go out.

“We don’t really have you go. You’re very tired and really need to rest, the guys will understand” Kris insisted.

“This is Junhee’s first performance and I promised I’d be there.”

“Okay. stop rushing for a while. We still have enough time.” He then hands her an energy drink. “Drink this first. Junhee will also be worried when she sees you like that.”

“Do I look that bad?” Shinhye was frantic.

“No, its fine just a little tired.”

Kris eyed Shinhye from head to toe when she went out of the room. “Are you crazy? What are you wearing?’ He was actually taken aback with her outfit it was a one piece red bandage dress. The tube dress was about 20 cm above her knees that showed her milky white long legs. The dress complimented her complexion and showcased her nice figure. She also had some light make-up on to cover her haggardness and wore a pair of black high heels.

“Why?”

“Do you have any idea how cold it is now!?! Why aren’t you wearing pants?”

“It’s a one piece dress and it’s not actually that cold. There will be a lot of people there so it will be warm.”

“Don’t you have any better clothes besides that?” Kris was pretty much pleading her to wear something else.

“I don’t really have time to change and we are going to be late. I’ll bring a coat don’t worry.” Kris still frustrated had no choice. He did not want to exhaust Shinhye further.

As soon as Kris and Shinhye were on the auditorium a lot of people were going inside and Kris sensed that some guys were staring at Shinhye .He did not even notice that he also draws much attention as Shinhye does. The other girls envy Shinhye for having Kris never leaving her side even though everybody knew that he is her brother. Kris was uncomfortable of the attention Shinhye’s getting from other guys. He then took out his long coat and put it on her before grabbing her by her waist pulling her tight to him as they entered the auditorium.  Shinhye looked up to Kris and she can see his tensed face and just let him led their way in.

 “Shinhye!” a man voice shouted behind them once they have entered the venue.

“Oh, Alex we meet again.”

“You look hot tonight!” With his remark Kris tighten his grip onto Shinhye’s waist trying to pull her away as possible from Jaehyun.

“Thanks.”

 “Sorry but we have to see our friends now.” Kris then greeted him and then pulled Shinhye to follow him. He did not even let Jaehyun say anything as they leave.

“Hey! Kris i told you to take it easy next time.” She nudges Kris at the stomach.

“Shinhye. Please don’t.” Kris was to distracted and admitted that he is having a hard at the moment. Shinhye was worried with Kris declaration.  Kris was not even looking at her and he looked very tensed checking the surroundings. He then runs his fingers through his hair. “I really want to pull out some eyes tonight.” He silently mumbles to himself.

 

Preview

Being overly protective of Shinhye is Kris’ second skin. He’s been very cooperative with Woobin and is very grateful of him for all the things he has done for them. With things lately being out of hand regarding Shinhye’s safety, Woobin suggest an idea that will infuriate Kris. As much as Kris hates this idea, they had no choice but to give it a shot. Bringing Woobin closer to Shinhye gives them the opportunity to keep things under control. This entitles Kris to let go of Shinhye only to find himself being drawn back to her in a new perspective.

 

 

 

 

Author’s note:

To all who have viewed and read my story thank you very much. When I decided to post this story I had no expectations I just wanted to share my thoughts an express myself. I am very overwhelmed by the views and much more when some subscribed to this story since it was my first time. I just want to express my gratitude and to let you know how much you motivate me to do better. I know that I am not actually a good writer and there is so much to learn so your comments are very much appreciated maybe it good or bad. I really want to hear thoughts. Thank you so much again! :)