e.i.g.h.t.e.e.n

White Dragon's Story
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

It was actually more than two weeks later before Sooyeon saw Yul again. She was very relieved when he came into Hyoyeon's shop in the middle of the afternoon. She had to apologize, though, because she was busy at the moment and could not get out of the shop for at least another hour. He only smiled and told her that he could wait to have her to himself until sunset as long as he got to see her beautiful face. She blushed.

Sooyeon knew, though, by the way he looked at her, that he could tell she was not any better than the last time they had seen each other. She knew he would be unhappy that she had not worked through her troubling dreams. She remembered that the nobleman had told her he often met Taeyeon on his way into Oshlay Valley so she wondered if they might have, at any point, discussed her. Or did Taeyeon not want to meet his rival for her heart any more?

Once she was able to get out of work, Sooyeon hurried home with Yul walking his horse at her side. She told him that her mother had some pork left over that would make some good sandwiches. She had also gathered some early season berries and help her mother made some tarts the day before. He laughed and said that he had wonderful timing, then, since she had such wonderful sounding food for their day together.

It did not take her long to pack the picnic basket with their things to eat. She kissed her mother on the cheek before she hurried out front door with the nobleman. They walked quietly through the forest to their usual spot. Sooyeon sat on the ground of the clearing and opened the picnic basket. She looked up at her suitor and smiled. He had not sat down beside her like usual yet. Instead, he was leaning against a nearby tree. He did not return the smile but simply gazed at her, looking as though he was deep in thought.

"Come and sit, Yul."

For a moment he did not move as he continued to look at her pensively. Finally, though, he walked to her and knelt in front of her, facing her. She smiled at him again and offered him a sandwich, which he had seemed earlier to be quite keen to try. He did not take it, though.

"Sooyeon, tell me, do you have any other men courting you or that want to court you?"

The woman was completely taken aback by the question and dropped the sandwich in her shock. She looked down, fumbling as she tried to get the sandwich off the ground before any bugs got on it. She wanted to say yes but that person was Taeyeon... She slowly shook her head. "No, there is no one else."

"How could no one else be interested in courting you," he asked, sounding stunned.

"Perhaps because they think they would have no chance?" She examined the sandwich, brushing off a blade of grass that had gotten on it before placing it in her lap. "You and I have known each other for so long. Everyone knew you were going to court me and..."

"Do you wish to be with someone else," he asked quietly.

<
Please log in to read the full chapter