f.o.u.r.t.e.e.n

White Dragon's Story
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

For the rest of the summer, whenever she found the time, Sooyeon would go up to see Taeyeon. He would often sit with her while she drew flowers up on his mountain, even though they did not talk much. One day he even brought her a flower she had never seen before – a white orchid. She nearly cried when she saw it, both from the beauty of it and the fact it was a cut flower. He had immediately used his magic to give it a root and he planted it in the ground with his own hands. She had gazed at it for so long that twilight was almost upon them before she remembered she could be drawing it instead.

All too soon, though, summer turned into autumn. She was so busy then with helping Hyoyeon with dresses and coats for the queen's upcoming ball that she could not find time to go see Taeyeon. Then winter came nearly a month earlier than normal when the first snow came just days before they were done with all the orders. The cold weather prevented her from doing anything but journeying daily from home to the shop. Everyone in town seemed to think the early and very cold winter was odd after such a hot summer.

Every day during those cold months, Sooyeon would look up at the eastern mountain longingly. She wanted so badly to go and draw the flowers that still bloomed even in the snow thanks to the magic Taeyeon had over them. But spring would come soon enough, that she knew. She would be back up on the mountain once spring arrived and this winter would be only a memory then.

The Day of Offering was soon upon them. And with it came a fresh layer of snow to cover the already cold, ice-covered ground. The sky was overcast and a few flakes would fall to the ground periodically. Everyone expected another snow storm. But Sooyeon was still happy. Today was the first time in months she would get to see Taeyeon face-to-face. It also made her happy that she was now seventeen.

Though Yul had not had an outfit made for the queen's ball, which had been near the start of winter, he had come in regularly from late summer through the winter, whenever the weather permitted at least. Hyoyeon often argued with him over the fact that he was acting like they were already courting since he saw her so often. He would act embarrassed at those times, but did not seem to really be affected by her comments, for he would still sit and chat with Sooyeon about her work and her drawing of flowers and what she wanted to do when he came to court her on her birthday.

With her birthday there, Sooyeon was up before dawn. She was so excited she had barely gone to sleep at all. But she also felt a bit guilty. Taeyeon was always there with her when she slept, but it was not him she was going to be courted by. He had not even asked if she might want him to. Was it really the way he had said? Was it not right for them to be together like that because he was a dragon and she a human? But she did not need such thoughts bothering her today. Yul would be there at noon. She had been waiting for this day for such a long time now, after all. Now there were only a few more hours left.

When the bell signaled that Taeyeon was on the way shortly after dawn, Sooyeon gathered up the new outfit she had made for him herself. She ran her hand over the smooth silk then held it to her chest. She hoped he would like it. Hyoyeon had gotten a belt made of fine silver again from her dwarf friend to give him this year, since her apprentice had made him a new robe. They had designed them together so that they would match. Sooyeon truly hoped to see him in it once she could go back up to draw the flowers.

Her parents lead her out of the house and through the town. The snow and ice crunched under their feet as they made their way to the edge of town. Most people were complaining about the cold. Sooyeon, though, barely felt the chill wind on her face. She was warm with the thought of seeing her dragon... and then later that day seeing Yul. She blushed...

Taeyeon was already there when they reached the edge of town. Like always, she wanted to run up to him to give him her gift. She restrained herself, hugging the toga to her chest, her eyes on her guardian as he oversaw the other townsfolk giving their offerings to him. She wished he would look at her.

Waiting impatiently, she was biting her lip and rocking back and forth the closer it got to her family's time to approach. When it was finally their turn, she nearly ran to the front of the crowd and smiled at Taeyeon when she caught his eye. His expression, which had been just as cold as the wind that day, faded when he saw her and his eyes started twinkling. She started to blush and presented him the new outfit wordlessly, bowing as she lifted it to him.

The dragon lord also said nothing as he took it from her. As he took the silken garment, his hands ran over hers gently. He looked at it with a scrutinizing eye then held it to his chest and smiled down at her. But he did not want her gift, what he wanted was to pick her up and take her back to his lair, leaving everything else there. He restrained himself from doing that, though. He nodded to her as her mother took her hand and lead her back into the crowd as she always did, for she knew if she did not physically move her daughter she would stay there with the town's guardian until he left.

Sooyeon was smiling. Her hands were tingling from where he had touched her, even though her gloves had been between his bare hands and hers. She rubbed her hands against her cheeks and wondered if Yul's touch would make her feel the same way. She knew his presence often made her feel the same as when she was with Taeyeon, after all. She looked back up at Taeyeon, whose eyes were no longer on her, when she reached the back of the crowd. She saw, though, that he was still holding the new outfit in his hands.

As soon as the last offering was laid at his feet and Taeyeon was flying back to his lair, the Jungs started their return trip home to prepare for the arrival of Yul. Her parents had long waited to meet him. Her mother had seen him leave Hyoyeon's shop one day, but did not realize who he was until after he was gone. They were also nervous about the thought of a nobleman being in their simple home.

Halfway home, the overcast sky began to drop larger snowflakes. The number of them slowly increased. Sooyeon giggled happily and spun around in the falling snow. was open towards the sky as she tried to catch a snowflake on her tongue. Yunho and Soojin looked at her with smiles and shakes of their heads. She might be of courting age now, but she still acted like such a child at times.

The rest of the morning was spent preparing for Lord Yul's arrival. Her mother had a pot of stew cooking to feed him when he arrived after his cold trip there. While it simmered, Soojin would find some speck of dust and attack it angrily with a dust cloth. She had spent days cleaning. Yunho, on the other hand, just sat in his favorite chair near the fire looking like he was lost in thought as he chewed on his pipe stem.

All morning, Sooyeon would look out at the snow periodically, hoping that the nobleman would get there sooner than he had said. She fidgeted a lot, worried about him and his trip through the mountains. As it drew ever closer to noon, though, the snow became heavier. She hoped that he would even make it to see her. She sighed at the empty road then headed to the fireplace to warm up. She eyed the cast iron popper that was already full of dried corn kernels. He had told her he liked popping corn, so she had bought some with her own money for him, even though it was not very traditional for the girl to provide anything during courtship.

Soon it was past noon and Sooyeon was growing ever more worried. She huddled closer to the fireplace and sighed. "Yul..."

"I'm sure it's just the weather, dear." Her mother came to her and bent down to hug her daughter's where she sat on the floor by the hearth. "If he doesn't come it..."

"I know. I'll understand." She was using the popper like a rattle at the moment. "I was just really looking forward to seeing him today. But the weather..." She sighed and let the popper drop to the floor. "It's depressing."

Soojin kissed her daughter's forehead. "I know. He promised to be here, but even your father probably wouldn't have trekked through weather like this to come see me!"

"I'd have made you come over to my parents' house if you wanted to see me that badly," her father said with a grin.

"That I don't doubt." She grinned at her husband then turned back to Sooyeon. "You will see him. Maybe not today, but it will be soon enough."

The hours droned by until it was nearing mid-afternoon. They had eaten lunch already, but Sooyeon had only really picked at her food. She almost wanted to go to her room and call Taeyeon to her and cry with him watching over her. There were only a few hours of daylight left, and the overcast sky made it look much later than it was. Though the snow had slacked off some, she was truly beginning to doubt he would show at this time of day.

While she was helping her mother with the roast for dinner, there was the jingle of a horse's tack outside. Sooyeon perked up, gazing towards the window. He father disappeared outside and was gone for a short while before returning. He nodded to her and she gave a squeal of happiness.

Yul entered the house behind her father a moment later. He took off his cloak and shook the snow off it over the threshold, so not to get any melting snow in their house. He took off his hat and bowed to Sooyeon. The nobleman then turned to her father. Sooyeon knew, then, that he was going to follow tradition for courtship. She should have assumed as much, considering he was a nobleman.

"I have come seeking to court your daughter Sooyeon, Mr. Jung. I would be much honored if you would allow me permission."

Her father gave a chuckle and took his cloak and hat from him. "Your suit is very welcome, Lord Yul. It is an honor to finally meet you. Sooyeon has looked forward to her birthday all winter."

"Has she?" The nobleman walked to her and took her hand, placing a kiss upon it. "Such news flatters me." He squeezed her hand a little, looking into her eyes. "Will you accept my desire to court you, Sooyeon?"

"You have known, for quite some time, that I will, my lord."

"I wanted to make sure your heart has not had any second thoughts." He kissed her hand again. "I am grateful it has not." He then turned to her father. "As that this is the first time I have come to call on your daughter, I do believe it is only right for me to stay in your presence while I am here today."

Yunho chuckled as he returned to his high-backed, green upholstered chair before the living room hearth after he had put Yul's hat and cloak on a peg by the door. "I don't think the two of you would want to go anywhere in this weather anyway. But, yes, it is only right that you stay in our company until we have grown to know you better."

"Yes, the weather..." Yul looked towards the window. "It was so bad earlier. I had to stop for a while. It slowed me down so much." He took both of Sooyeon's hands in his, looking at her pleadingly. "You do forgive me, don'

Please log in to read the full chapter